Menu

do you have "vocabulary" in your school line-up for the fall?

I don't have any vocabulary planned for my kidlets. I never even really thought of it as necessary as I use vocabulary building as a form of discipline around here (that could backfire on me yet:glare:). If they are yelling at each other, or using inappropriate words (that doesn't happen often), than their vocabulary must be lacking. They have to find two new words that they could've used in their disagreement and then come back and discuss their problem with each other, using their new words. When they have to think around things like that it tends to take the heat out of the argument and they work through it better, and they also are building their vocabulary.

I do - Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop. My oldest used it this year and it's completely independent, so it's the perfect thing to pull out and work on for 15 minutes when they're waiting for me or if they finish something early. I'll only use it for my kids who are finished formal spelling.

No. Only as it comes up, which it does regularly, so I haven't been concerned. I know that studying it in a workbook is *not* the way my kids learn.

We used to have a little word a day flip book but half the words were really, really stupid. Like, it was for 1st grade but it had words like astronaut in it. Are there really a lot of first graders who don't know astronaut? Plus, it had these little cutesy questions at the bottom that were just plain odd. They wanted to be riddles, but they weren't. Anyway, I wouldn't mind finding something like that - a word a day flip book for elementary school - but done better. I don't want a full vocab program, but I like little routine things like that. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one. I played around at the start of second grade with maybe making one myself, but I was too lazy to finish the project.

I do - Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop. My oldest used it this year and it's completely independent, so it's the perfect thing to pull out and work on for 15 minutes when they're waiting for me or if they finish something early. I'll only use it for my kids who are finished formal spelling.

This is what we use. I really like it.

We do Wordly Wise, but since DS (finishing 5th grade) just tested at 99th percentile/13+ grade equivalent for vocab on his recent standardized testing, I may back off for him. :P I am going to have him start doing the SAT word of the day app, but other than that, we will just cover stuff as part of other subjects and I may add in some root/etc. later.

For the girls, vocabulary is a must because of their hearing loss. Since hard-of-hearing kids don't pick up incidental language the same way as kids with typical hearing, they require systemic, intentional vocabulary input. Wordly Wise has been great for us!

Edited by fhjmom

We use Michael Clay Thompson's vocabulary component. We've been through Caesar's English 1 and 2. My daughter's been through roughly half of Magic Lens 1. I love his vocabulary.

Next year, we are taking a year off from most of our curriculum and doing more project based schooling. Vocabulary will be culled from our reading for LA and history.

I will be the rare one to post that we don't have "vocabulary" in our fall line-up. I've owned and tried to use some of the programs mentioned here, but formal vocab just isn't our thing.

My kids are great at asking what words mean, and they both score quite high in this area for their standardized testing. My 5th grader will be asked to identify unknown words in her lit reading so she can look them up, but I don't know that I will require her to write the definitions. The writing piece seems like busy work for her, so I expect that we will start doing it and then it will fall to the wayside after a week or two.

No, and I'm not adding it.

We read. We are studying Latin (and the kids *love* finding derivatives). We use Apples & Pears Spelling which comes at spelling from a morphemic approach (breaking words down into root parts). I feel we are covering our vocabulary bases for the year.

My dc are 4th and 2nd...(the 1st grader is only auditing the Latin and will not start Apples & Pears for several months).

No. The only formal vocabulary study either of my kids has done was a run through a few levels of Word Roots software. They both thought it was fun, and it did help them learn how to break down a word and look at its components. But I don't think either of them learned much actual vocabulary from it.

Each of mine has mostly learned vocabulary through reading.

Well, and the several times a day tell them to L.I.U. (look it up).

Caesar's English has been great here.

We're finishing up Bk I.

My son has a pretty good vocabulary already through his extensive reading. At least, he's always gotten some of those looks when we're out and he speaks normally for him.

CE gives a bit more of a solid foundation & it's been fun seeing some of our read-alouds mentioned in the book and seeing the words selected mentioned in outside reading.

I also loved it when on a long drive, my husband was asking my son what some of his vocabulary words were. Dh said, "Amaze me with something you've learned."

Ds replied, "Oh long and tedious night, abate thy hours," (which we had just had as a quote from Midsummer). Dh's jaw dropped. :lol:

I like CE.

Not yet. I read aloud from books above her level, and hope that she'll pick up some vocabulary by osmosis. :D We have a pretty full schedule this year.

Starting in 3rd or 4th grade I plan on doing a word of the week type of thing. I'll give her a word to define, use in a sentence, provide a French translation, and possibly a few more things as she gets older (word origins, Spanish translation, synonyms and antonyms, etc).

In middle school and high school we'll be doing Latin and then (maybe) Greek, and those, combined with French and Spanish, will take the place of a formal vocabulary program.

I don't have any vocabulary planned for my kidlets. I never even really thought of it as necessary as I use vocabulary building as a form of discipline around here (that could backfire on me yet:glare:). If they are yelling at each other, or using inappropriate words (that doesn't happen often), than their vocabulary must be lacking. They have to find two new words that they could've used in their disagreement and then come back and discuss their problem with each other, using their new words. When they have to think around things like that it tends to take the heat out of the argument and they work through it better, and they also are building their vocabulary.

This is brilliant. I love it!

I started formal vocabulary study in 2nd grade because I realized that vocabulary was the limiting factor in my DD's reading. She could decode anything but it might as well have said The garglezonk fribbered the snarfblatt. Without knowing what the unfamiliar words mean, it is impossible to understand the sentence.

She did MCT's Caesar's English series and now is working through Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop Level B.

I am starting a vocab book, but just once a week with my 3rd and 4th graders. It will be very simple and also to help practice dictionary skills (which they think is really fun, lol. Whatever floats their boats :tongue_smilie:).

I'm using Evan-Moor's A Word A Day workbook. I love Evan-Moor for simple little odd things like this.

We used Sadlier-Oxford's Vocab Wkshp in 4th & 5th grades & I'm about to purchase for 6th grade this week! =) He loves it! We also use the progeny press lit guides which have lots of vocab work & he's learning formal latin & keeps a Latin notebook for Apologia Botany so I would say he's getting plenty of vocab ptc!! :D

I also have these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006THMJCU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

We really like these. The pictures are often very funny and memorable.

what do you do with these exactly, how do you use them? I saw these in the latest Timberdoodle catalog and looked at them...they are a little cheaper than on Amazon, which surprised me. But I am mostly curious as to the most efffective way to use a tool like this.

No and I have no plans to in the future. We'll be doing Latin, and later Greek. We pause to discuss new words in our read-alouds. He asks about words he hears. Eventually, I'll teach him to keep a dictionary handy when reading to look up unfamiliar words. We tried Wordly Wise, but it felt really forced to both of us so we dropped it.

We like Vocabulary from Classical Roots, a program we learned about from TWTM.

I liked the looks of these, and have picked up a couple used, but consider also Vocabulary from Latin and Greek Roots: A Study of Word Families. The quiz questions and reading selections are more appealing to me than VfCR. YMMV of course, but for those hungering for yet more curriculum choices, have at it. ;)