Menu

What is the BEST state to be a HSer?

If you were choosing where to live based on HSing, where would you go? What state has the least restrictions and offers the most benefits ($$ for curriculum, participation in PS classes or sports, dual college/hs credit, etc.)

We're not moving but I'm curious! :)

Benefits.......not so much, but least restrictions.....Arizona! File a form when they are six and you're good to go. That's it! We love it. We lived in IA for a couple of years and after being in AZ, their regulations felt restrictive. I had to be supervised by someone less qualified than I am ~ didn't make much sense.

Julie

Oklahoma has great Homeschool laws. My kids have never been in PS, so I did not have to do anything. If you are pulling kids from school, you send a.letter, it does not even have to say you are homeschooling. I have nothing to report. I keep records for myself and just in case.

You cam get money through online charters through the public school system, but you are then ps students and must take all ps tests and fulfill all ps requirements.

You cannot play sports on ps teams, but there are Homeschool leagues for everything - football, basketball, cheerleader, baton, etc.

In DC, we have minimal regulation (you are required to notify and keep a portfolio which no one ever checks... meaning you're not required to do much of anything in practical terms). And a lot of cultural benefits. Free museums, free museum programming, free music all summer, even free classes sometimes. Generally a huge array of everything at your fingertips - parks, music, ethnic foods, homeschool community, etc. You can certainly do US government and history here like nowhere else.

The flip side is, of course, that the cost of living is insane here in general. And there's that whole disenfranchisement thing... but speaking strictly of the homeschooling perspective, I think it's pretty good.

Oklahoma has great Homeschool laws. My kids have never been in PS, so I did not have to do anything. If you are pulling kids from school, you send a.letter, it does not even have to say you are homeschooling. I have nothing to report. I keep records for myself and just in case.

You cam get money through online charters through the public school system, but you are then ps students and must take all ps tests and fulfill all ps requirements.

You cannot play sports on ps teams, but there are Homeschool leagues for everything - football, basketball, cheerleader, baton, etc.

I agree with this, Oklahoma is as easy as it gets when it comes to hs regulations/record keeping, but there are only homeschool leagues for everything if you live in one of the metro or larger areas. You options are VERY limited in the smaller towns unless you want to commute a couple hours away.

Minnesota's not bad. The requirements are fairly minimal now, and we can get tax credits and some textbook reimbursement for hsing. Also, high school students here can take college courses for free and it covers all tuition, textbooks, supplies, etc.

Michigan is pretty good.

No reporting of any kind. Homeschool students are allowed to participate in non-core classes (band, phys ed, etc.)

No money for curriculum or anything like that, but I'm an old-timer who thinks that stuff is usually bad anyway. :D

Homeschoolers can't play sports in the public school, but that is because of MHSAA regulations that require a minimum level of enrollment.

I personally like PA, aside from the HS laws (though I think if I have to report at all, not having to report until age 8 is at least nice -- and having to do a portfolio did ensure that I did one, and it makes a nice keepsake), and the state, or at least my area, is very homeschool-friendly. Lots of support groups, lots of stuff to do. We supposedly have the option to use the public school for classes, sports, etc., though I don't know how that actually works in practice.

However, yes, the laws are more restrictive and do cause at least a bit of extra handling. I have heard that Virginia is very good, because you can use a religious exemption for all reporting.

Illinois! Very few regulations, homeschool friendly.

We also have one of the worst school systems in the country, and the state has no money to fix those problems, let alone worry about homeschooling! :tongue_smilie:

No regulation here in Connecticut-- only "suggested procedures." Benefits? Depends on the school system. Some are very homeschool friendly and will let homeschoolers take sports, music, even math. Others don't offer anything. I actually don't know about my local school system as I've never asked, but this is what I hear from fellow homeschoolers in other parts of the state. Several local colleges are homeschool-friendly and offer classes to high school level homeschoolers.

We also have one of the worst school systems in the country, and the state has no money to fix those problems, let alone worry about homeschooling! :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: There is also an Educational Tax Credit available. We've never used it since it applies mostly to consumable material, tuition, and lab fees and we never go over $250 on those items. Still, it's there, so it counts as a plus for Illinois.

Yup. Just teach the same basic subjects in English for the same number of days and you are good to go. Oh, and no one is checking, either. Plus, you get some tax break on your state taxes.

File nothing. If anyone demands a form, they are mistaken.

I love Texas. We have never had any dealings with the public school system, no letters, no questions. There are no benefits unless you go through a public online school, but I like doing my own thing and not answering to anyone. We have a homeschool band, football team, city sponsored soccer, upwards basketball, a local college offers instrument lessons and choral lessons, and the list goes on.

Ok, well, California offered far more benefits $$ wise if you wished to use a charter school, and it was very non-restrictive overall.

NC has more restrictions (testing each year and registering your HS is all) and has far fewer benefits cost wise, BUT, there are so, so many homeschoolers all over the place here. We can't even begin to do all of the local homeschool activities or groups.

I have never seen so many homeschoolers all in one location! :D

I was surprised to get all the way to page 3 before I saw TX.:) Yep, TX is very hs friendly. We were in FL before and had to register with a private umbrella school to save on any hassle with the state. I am loving hs in TX. We even belong to an all hs cub scout group! I love it!

Wisconsin has very few restrictions, also. We just file our notice with the DPI in September, and that's it. No records, tests, etc... I don't know if all of the school districts state-wide are like the ones around here, but we are able to take classes at the public schools, even things like chem. & foreign languages. Sports, I'm not sure about.

I think florida is a good balance. Yes, you either have to have a portfolio review or test, but there are a TON of teachers that will do this for a small fee ($35), and most are homeschooling themselves...and are even unschooling friendly. Or you can sign up with a private school and be a private student...many of these private schools are free. That is more restrictive than say, Texas, but....you can take classes at the schools if you want, can play sports, and can take dual enrollment classes for free at the community colleges. The schools even pay for the books I believe.

Louisiana. In 2000, one third of all school age kids (7-15) were homeschooled with numbers rising rapidly. There are lots of homeschool groups and classes. Tons of cheap and free cultural events. We are frequently asked, "do you homeschool? " most families we meet at the playground are homeschooling or planning to.

No restrictions. We have to send in a letter stating the address and number of children who are being schooled, but don't have to clarify which children or to whom they belong.

Edited by strawberrymama

Texas is very easy, you don't even have to tell them your kids exist. I can't think of any extra benefits.

:iagree::lol:

I was surprised to get all the way to page 3 before I saw TX.:) Yep, TX is very hs friendly.

:iagree:

I just moved to AZ and, frankly, I resent having to even send a letter. :glare: That's what living in Texas for so many years did to me. :lol: Here I can buy a gun on a street corner but I have to report that I'm homeschooling my kids? :confused::tongue_smilie:

Alabama is very easy! All you have to do is register with a cover school and they (or you) send a form to your district.

That's it.

Where I live, in North AL, there are lots of homeschoolers and lots to do!

I'm finding this very interesting! We're in California and I saw the thread about some states giving money for homeschoolers through charter programs, so I wondered about other benefits (besides the obvious!) This thread is enlightening! :)

NJ. No regulations whatsoever.

:iagree:

They also just approved allowing homeschooled children play high school sports at their local schools. I think the details are being worked out in individual districts but it's allowed. We also have a TON of homeschool classes and leagues around.

Alabama is very easy! All you have to do is register with a cover school and they (or you) send a form to your district.

That's it.

Where I live, in North AL, there are lots of homeschoolers and lots to do!

I have always found the term "cover school" amusing. Like we're doing something secretive that we need a cover for. We're not laundering money, people! :tongue_smilie:

It would be interesting to do a fair ranking of states for this. HSLDA has a general one, but I know many of us would take issue, and even for those who wouldn't, it doesn't really take into account other things - like the strength of the statewide organizations, the quality of the homeschool community, whether there are conventions or used book sales regularly nearby, and what cultural resources are there. Obviously a state where the laws are lax is better, but not if there's very little homeschool support, no conventions, and few cultural resources to use.

Right now? NH for the least restrictions. We now only have to send in a letter of intent once. Unless you switch school districts, that's it. No evaluations, no year end testing, etc.

Sme states. Give money toward curriculum?

I think we are entitled to the school's books for use but I'm not rally sure as I never had any interest in them.

We can take ps classes or do dual enrollment if we wanted to.

I have always found the term "cover school" amusing. Like we're doing something secretive that we need a cover for. We're not laundering money, people! :tongue_smilie:

I thought the term in Alabama state law was "church school"?

I thought the term in Alabama state law was "church school"?

Yeah, I thought it was the state where you had to register with a religious umbrella/cover/church school, which is rotten if you happen to be Muslim, Pagan, Jewish, Hindu, Atheist or just not Christian.

Sme states. Give money toward curriculum?

CA has several charter schools that offer 'home-study" programs and give varying amounts of money for curriculum and extra-curriculars. Technically, though, if you go this route you are part of the public school system, and you're beholden to more rules and regulations.

NJ. No regulations whatsoever.

Yes, but then you have to actually live in NJ!

I lived there for 45 yrs, and escaped to South Carolina two years ago. It costs me $25 a yr to join a homeschool "oversight" association which is very hands off. I fill out one form a year that says I am following the laws of the State. In SC the public schools are awful, but we can join in PS sports, clubs and extra curricular activities as of this coming school year.

Yeah, I thought it was the state where you had to register with a religious umbrella/cover/church school, which is rotten if you happen to be Muslim, Pagan, Jewish, Hindu, Atheist or just not Christian.

To be fair, I think a good number of the umbrella/church schools don't require a statement of faith or require religious activities and are open to anyone, and I saw someone (I think who is a member here) who is Jewish and homeschools, so it can be done, the law is just worded I guess as if education is fundamentally a religious right or something? Not sure.

I don't know about Alabama, but in Florida the covers schools can be religious or not. Several are secular, some are fee of cost, and are unschooling friendly.

We homeschooled in Indiana for a couple of years. We didn't have to do anything. We didn't have to register, no letter of intent, no testing, no portfolios, nothing! If your children we in ps and you decided to pull them out you didn't have inform the school that you were going to homeschool. It was very easy and laid back. I miss that!

I don't know about Alabama, but in Florida the covers schools can be religious or not. Several are secular, some are fee of cost, and are unschooling friendly.

The AL law says "church school." Some of those church schools do not require any statement of faith.

(B) The term church school, as used in this chapter, shall mean and only include such schools as offer instruction in grades K-I 2, or any combination thereof including the kindergarten, elementary, or secondary level and are operated as a ministry of a local church, group of churches, denomination, and/or association of churches of a nonprofit basis which do not receive any state or federal funding.

(School Code 1927, §302; Code 1940, T. 52, §299; Acts 1982, No. 82-218, p. 260, §1.)

Edited by stripe

Church school/cover school seems to be used interchangeably here, although the law states "church school." There are many church/cover schools that require no statement of faith whatsoever, although a lot do. You get to choose which you want, so it's not much of an issue in my mind.

Edited by Devan

I can't believe there aren't more posts about Florida.

Some of the benefits include:

1. Free homeschooling through the Florida Virtual School. The entire program or just some classes can be taken.

2. Several of the homeschooling options allow a homeschooler the Bright Futures college scholarship.

3. Participation in public school sports and classes is available in most counties. Also, VPA programs are available in my counties.

4. Dual enrollment can start a year early for many homeschoolers.

The paperwork is minimal. There is one sheet each year which requires name, address, and which of the 5 homeschool options was chosen. Some of the options require another signature besides just the parent's.

Even a bad day in Florida is better than anywhere else.

:)