Menu

What are your top family-favorite, yet easy to prepare, meals?

I desperately need to expand our dinner rotation. Yet, I am just not in a place right now where I can spend a lot of time cooking. So what are your top go-to meals for those busy days that your entire family loves?

Mine are - spaghetti, tacos, and vegetable soup (prepared the day before).

Thanks!

I flatten chicken breasts and pop them on a panini grill with some seasoning. In about 4 minutes, they're done. While they are cooking, I butter and toast some buns and slice whatever we have on hand- tomatoes, avocado, cheese, whatever. My family is nuts for these. If I have bacon for them, the family swoons.

Anything can be a side dish- cut fresh fruit, potato salad, microwaved baked potatoes, steamed broccoli, etc.

Leftover chicken made this way is fabulous in a chicken caesar salad the next day.

My family really likes Cedric Adams hotdish.

You chop up a small yellow onion, toss it in a pan with a pound of hamburger and brown. While that's browning, shred a head of cabbage. Grease a casserole dish, and fill it just under half full of cabbage. When the meat is done browning, dump that on the cabbage, then cover with more cabbage until the pan is about full. Take a can of condensed tomato soup, stir it until it's more soupy, and pour it over the cabbage and meat. Cover and bake at 350 for an hour or until the cabbage is tender, uncovering after the first half hour if you used freshly shredded cabbage.

pulled pork

meatballs (homemade and frozen - I keep a bunch in the freezer for easy quick cooking)

salad w/meat

eggs

grilled burgers with sweet potato fries

chicken salad

stir fry

curry (red, green, yellow, with whatever meat is handy)

fritata

None of those take more than 15-20 minutes in the kitchen. I rarely have more than that, anyhow....

Edited by AdventureMoms

Chicken salsa wraps - throw frozen chicken in a pot covered in salsa, shred chicken when done. Mix in some lite sour cream and put veggies on top in wrap.

Cesar wraps - Cook chicken, toss with lite cesar dressing, croutons, and parmesan cheese, top with salad and put in wrap.

I can put practically anything in a wrap. LOL Plus, they are easy to pack and take places.

Smokey Po

It's just onions and green peppers cut into "Squares," as my family says, cooked in a tiny amt of olive oil, and then turkey smoked sausage cut into rounds and fried in the same pan until nice and brown. Then you add some boiled potatoes, salt/pepper and maybe a touch of garlic. You combine it all and get some of the brown from the bottom of the pan--It's simple and yummy.

We also like a "big chicken," which is just a whole chicken :D. We usually serve rice and a salad with it.

Meatloaf and mashies with a salad is a go-to, also, as is shrimp with linguine and jarred alfredo, and...yes, a salad.

pulled pork

meatballs (homemade and frozen - I keep a bunch in the freezer for easy quick cooking)

salad w/meat

eggs

grilled burgers with sweet potato fries

chicken salad

stir fry

curry (red, green, yellow, with whatever meat is handy)

fritata

None of those take more than 15-20 minutes in the kitchen. I rarely have more than that, anyhow....

Silly question...but can you give me your stir fry and fritata recipes?

Thanks!

Chicken salsa wraps - throw frozen chicken in a pot covered in salsa, shred chicken when done. Mix in some lite sour cream and put veggies on top in wrap.

Cesar wraps - Cook chicken, toss with lite cesar dressing, croutons, and parmesan cheese, top with salad and put in wrap.

I can put practically anything in a wrap. LOL Plus, they are easy to pack and take places.

When you say "wrap," do you mean a tortilla? Just want to make sure I'm getting it! And what kind of veggies would you put on top of the chicken salsa wraps? Both options sound great!

When you say "wrap," do you mean a tortilla? Just want to make sure I'm getting it! And what kind of veggies would you put on top of the chicken salsa wraps? Both options sound great!

It depends on what I have on hand. Sometimes I'll saute/grill some onions and peppers, other times I'll just grab the salad I have with mixed veggies in it.

Yes, tortillas. You can get whole wheat or spinach.

Oh this reminds me. I also serve Chicken salsa and black beans.

thaw, wash and shake chicken breasts cut up in taco seasoning (I make my own)

Spray dish with Pam

Add chicken

cover with black beans

spread salsa over it all

Cover with foil and cook for 35 min.

Take out and spread with cheddar cheese for 5 more minutes.

I serve this over rice for kids, cauliflower rice for myself, or in wraps.

I don't make anything that's not quick and easy these days, as my toddler is into everything and it's just too hard. Some of our favorites:

The crockpot has become my best friend. One of the easiest crockpot recipes is: Toss some chicken thighs or breasts in (I toss them in frozen, there is debate about the safety of this but I feel fine about it), add some canned black beans, some frozen corn and some salsa. Then when it's done you can serve it over rice or in a tortilla. We like to add fresh cilantro and my kids add sour cream.

taco rice

Indian dal I got this one from a post here on the forums, I can't remember who posted it, but thank you! My kids get so excited when I make this and it's great to see them happy about lentils! We serve this with fresh cilantro and naan.

Homemade marinara is actually very fast and easy, I just open some cans of crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes, then I add lots of chopped fresh garlic, and dried basil and oregano when in a hurry.

Breakfast for dinner- eggs are a good protein source so I just throw together a quick omelet or we like things like scrambled eggs dotted with cream cheese and smoked salmon and some dill sprinkled on top.

quiche and salad, I like this recipe

Salmon we eat usually once a week, it's very quick and easy to bake, broil or grill it and then just put some potatoes in the microwave to bake and add salad or roasted asparagus. I find any type of fish quick and easy.

Stir-fry with veggies and chicken or shrimp, I get the carrots already cut into matchsticks, presliced mushrooms, and then add bok choy and bell peppers which are not time consuming to chop up. Many grocery stores carry kits for stir-fry, with all the veggies precut if you want to save even more time. In a hurry I just add bottled teriyaki sauce.

If you're not opposed to cream and butter, alfredo sauce is very easy to make, it's just butter, cream, and parmesan. We also like this recipe: creamy pasta shells with broccoli and ham and it's quick.

Meat loaf is actually quick too, and my kids like it a lot. Add baked potatoes and veggies. Also, sloppy joes. I leave out the sugar in that recipe myself, we don't like sweet sloppy joes. I add baby carrots and call it good.

1. Brown ground beef, when it's done throw in about 1 1/2 c. of frozen/canned corn and half a can of black beans, and 1/2-1 cup salsa (it should NOT be juicy-the salsa is just to flavor it). Heat through and serve in tortillas.

(You can put cheese on them but we don't)

2. Black bean burgers-cheap too!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=black%20bean%20burgers&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

3. chicken/feta rollups---pound each bnless ckn breast til very flat, put feta cheese and some spinach on top, roll up, put on baking pan seam side down, and bake. Dump a little white wine on it toward the end. Serve w/ rice.

Edited by HappyGrace

Pork chops, covered with Pace Picante Sauce, mushrooms, and topped woth cheese. Cook at 400 until the center pork chop is 160 in the middle. We serve with instant rice, and either green beans or lemon butter brussel sprouts.

Pulled pork, whole chicken, or ribs in the crock pot.

Here's an easy one (not real healthy, I'm sure) that we all like. I know it sounds crazy, but it's yummy:

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/beefy-one-pot-dinner-107265.aspx

Another one we like is something I call DIY Chef Salad. I basically chop up all the veggies I have on hand, boil some eggs, mix up some ranch dressing, and chop up leftover chicken or lunch meat. I put it all in bowls in the middle of the table and everyone builds their own salad. The kids love it. You could pre-wash and chop everything for this kind of dinner, and pull it all together right before dinner.

One thing that has helped me a lot is to cook a whole package of meat when I'm cooking one dinner, and put half of it in the freezer for another dinner. It cuts my time on those busy days so much.

I've been going through the easy meals lately:

Pan fried burgers

Pan seared salmon

Chili and Mac n cheese

Pulled pork BBQ

Tonight I made fish sandwiches from frozen fillets, fries, coleslaw, and pickles.

I just serve a salad with everything and try to chop enough veggies for several days.

We like pizza, so I use this no-knead crust recipe. You might want to explore this site for other ideas too.

http://onceamonthmom.com/homemade-pizza-dough/

Thanks!

Not the previous poster, but I love, love, love this fritatta recipe!

http://www.cooking.com/recipes-and-more/recipes/potato-ham-frittata-recipe-3260.aspx#axzz1yxOaFSWx

We also do omelets or breakfast burritos quite often for dinner.

I just found this recipe the other day and it's another hit -Roasted asparagus and balsamic noodles I use the Barilla plus pasta so there is plenty of protein in the meal.

Thanks!

Sure!

Stir fry:

heat oil in pan

toss in garlic/ginger/onions (whatever I have on hand)

toss in 1lb of meat, sliced thin (chicken breasts, steak, or pork)

cook until cooked through (about 5mins) (add soy sauce or whatever sauce you want at this point)

scoop all that out of the pan and reserve

put in a bit more oil

toss in 1lb of veggies (usually a bag of frozen if I'm in a hurry) cook for about 5 minutes. Toss the meat back in and mix it all up.

Spoon into bowls. Over rice if you prefer. :-D

Frittata:

This is a leftovers thing for me, so it varies HUGELY. The general idea though, with ground beef, onions, and sweet potatoes...

Use a large, oven-proof skillet.

Preheat oven to 350

Chop onion, cook until transclucent.

Brown beef.

Add sweet potatoes, stir around until it starts to get soft.

Scramble 10 eggs, pour them over the other stuff in the pan.

Cook until the edges start to set.

Stick it in the oven for 10 minutes to set the center.

Slice into wedges and serve

That one is extra good served with salsa and sour cream.

Oh this reminds me. I also serve Chicken salsa and black beans.

thaw, wash and shake chicken breasts cut up in taco seasoning (I make my own)

Spray dish with Pam

Add chicken

cover with black beans

spread salsa over it all

Cover with foil and cook for 35 min.

Take out and spread with cheddar cheese for 5 more minutes.

I serve this over rice for kids, cauliflower rice for myself, or in wraps.

Mmm...sounds yummy and easy. Thanks!

Did anyone say taco salad?

We also do the crock pot chicken with BBQ sauce. Shred and serve on buns.

We do chicken breasts with 1 can black beans, frozen corn, and about 1 cup salsa in the crock pot. When the chicken is tender, shred it up and add 1 pkg. of cream cheese. Leave in crock pot until cr. cheese is melted. Stir and serve on tortillas or over tortilla chips with cheese, sour cream, chopped avocado, whatever you like.

Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches with thin slices of apple. Yum! You can serve plain or with your favorite jam. I think these are called Monte Carlos.

My dds favorites are...

beans and rice with homemade pico and guacamole

cut up chicken breasts cooked with teriyaki sauce, brown rice, and oven roasted veggies (usually asparagus, red and sweet potatoes, peppers, and zucchini)

homemade chicken nuggets and mac n cheese

salads with leftover shredded chicken, steak, or roast

breakfast - eggs, waffles, or pancakes with bacon or sausage, and biscuits

We make a lot of quesadillas, but they do not always have cheese in them, so maybe they should be called somethign else. Tonight I sauteed frozen shrimp and broiled red peppers. They I heated tortillas in some olive oil, added chopped up shrimp, the red peppers, salsa, avocado and sour cream.

I make them with whatever we have on hand. The primary drawback to them is we only make 2 at a time, so it isn't conducive to a sit down family dinner. Works for us though.

Also...

Roasted pork tenderloins with a few veggies and salad.

Baked potatoes with large cobb type salad.

Split pea soup (in crock pot)

noodles with sauteed veggies and a light sauce of olive oil and butter with herbs.

Broiled chicken breast pieces with veggies and rice

Sauteed steak, pork chops or chicken breast with seasoned salt, steamed broccoli and rice -- My kids would eat this every single night if they could. Probably lunch too.

Broiled or grilled anything. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, maybe some olive oil, pop it in, do everything else. If it's sliced thinly, it's even quicker. Fish is the quickest of all.

Big salads with avocado, feta, garbanzo or cannelli beads, maybe some sliced hardboiled eggs.

Pasta (thin pasta cooks almost too quickly. This is not the time for linguine etc), tossed with chopped tomatoes (sauteed in with the ground meat while pasta cooks), olive oil. Add cooked pasta to mixture, toss again with olive pil. Salad, spinach (cooked in the pasta water after you remove the pasta to add to meat).

I almost always have some broth in the freezer, so vegetable soup is a snap. It's just a matter of cooking the carrots, potatos, celery etc enough. On days I need it done quicker, I chop the veggies smaller. I also have no isses adding canned or frozen beans. Salad.

Veggie frittata, or veggie quiche in a premade pie crust (sautee frozen or fresh onions and veggies, or just run frozen under warm water and add to egg mixture). While it bakes, put together a salad.

Amy's veggie burgers with salad, tortilla chips, w/ mashed avo & some quirts of lime or lemon, salt and pepper.

Edited by LibraryLover

These recipes are great! Thanks everyone!

A few favorites here:

Chicken with angel hair pasta- chicken, carrots, and broccoli cooked with some garlic, add some chicken broth, parmesan cheese, and basil to the pan when the meat and veggies have cooked through. Let that simmer a few minutes and then toss with pasta and serve

Chicken fajitas (I don't know if these are true fajitas- its just what we call them)- shredded chicken with black beans and corn put on tortilla and top with cheese. Fold tortilla in half and warm in a pan or griddle on both sides. Serve with guacamole, sour cream, and salsa. I can make 4 at a time on my griddle. I just make as many as I can and we heat them up for lunches for the next several days.

Fritattas-

Ham, asparagus, and parm cheese

Potato, grated zucchini, onion, garlic, a little chopped bacon, and parm cheese

Sauted spinach, onion, bacon, and a mixture of low fat Swiss and mozzarella

Shrimp sauted with onions and garlic, add to rotini along with orange segments and fresh spinach or arugula (we prefer arugula). Toss and serve. Great the next day heated up or cold.

My favorite SUPER-EASY meal is chicken tacos in the crockpot. You put FROZEN (great because I don't have to remember to thaw it) chicken breasts into the crockpot with a can of Rotel & a packet of taco seasoning (two shelf-stable items that I always have on hand). It usually only takes 4-5 hours on low. We just cut up a few tomatoes, then add store-bought shredded lettuce & cheese.

And the best part, my husband loves it & asks me to make extra for leftovers, so I can get a few meals from very little work.

After 20+ years of cooking I find most things easy to cook. Even what i thought was to hard or to time consuming. My family favorite is sausage and riotini, chicken stronganoff, chicken or veal schnitzel, meat pie, cacciatore,

I make lots of pan fried or sauteed chicken breast, pork chops (boneless), steaks, etc. and add a pan sauce, a starch and a vegetable.

We also go a lot of grilling - steaks, hamburgers and hot dogs, pork tenderloin, chicken breasts, etc.

Sometimes I do a stir fry with shrimp.

Another easy one is ziti- cook ziti while preparing ricotta cheese with some milk and spices. Put in dish with tomato sauce and mozeralla cheese and bake.

Beef cubes, chicken breast, or pork; add a bottle of bbq sauce; crockpot low for 6 hours. Serve on buns with chips, veggies, or fruit

Baked Potatoes w/toppings; salad

Macasagna (named by ds) 2 boxes of mac and cheese; boil mac noodles until just softened; follow directions on package for cheese sauce; add one bottle spaghetti sauce; bake in a pan for 30 minutes at 350; top with parmesan or other cheese last ten minutes. My kids love this!

Baked chicken breast topped w/ 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup worc. sauce, 3 tbs. margarine. Serve with rice.

A good side dish or dessert: strawberries, sliced bananas, etc. served with yogurt dip (1 container strawberry yogurt mixed with 1 container cool whip)

Spaghetti with marinara sauce

Chili

Soft shell tacos

Chicken (or turkey) tetrazzini

Salmon patties are fast

Turkey burgers are fast from the freezer.

Black beans and rice topped with crushed taco chips, chopped onion and tomato are something the kids and I enjoy.

Veggie pizza is something I make for the main dish at lunch sometimes. Dh doesn't eat it, silly man!

Teriyaki marinated chicken breasts

Porcupine meatballs

beef chow mein over rice

pepper steak over rice Mine will eat any 'chinese' food as long as there are eggrolls, which they love homemade.

chicken wild rice soup

split pea soup

navy bean soup

potato soup with bacon bits

pizza hotdish

chicken pot pie

Fajitas. I just saute thinly sliced chicken breast til cooked through. Add sliced onions and red/yellow/orange peppers, sliced, and cook til the peppers are almost soft. Put in tortillas and top with sour cream and a bit of cheese.

Mazetti. Brown ground beef. Saute celery, garlic and onion in some butter while you boil noodles. Mix together with corn and a can of tomato soup plus 1/2 can milk, salt and pepper. Top with cheese and bake, or I cook it together on the stovetop and cover til cheese on top melts.

Edited by Tina

After 20+ years of cooking I find most things easy to cook. Even what i thought was to hard or to time consuming. My family favorite is sausage and riotini, chicken stronganoff, chicken or veal schnitzel, meat pie, cacciatore,

This is true, with practice most meals become quick and easy to prepare. I like to try new things but I also like to keep my rotation fairly consistent because I'm quick at the things I'm used to making.

Also, having sharp knives and helpful gadgets cuts down a lot on prep time, things like my simple garlic peeler (because we eat a lot of garlic and this peels it quick.) But I keep it to a few things that really work for me, there are many gadgets I've been given that just involved too much clean up and maintenance to be worth any time saved using them.

My most time consuming part of cooking is the planning and motivation! :lol:

I made this a couple of weeks ago with leftover chicken and noodles and the family loved it.

Combine cooked noodles (I used spaghetti) with one egg, beaten, 3-4 Tbsp Parmesan cheese and 3-4 Tbsp melted butter. Place it in a buttered casserole dish. In a large pan, saute some chopped onion and green pepper. Add leftover chicken, one can cream of mushroom soup, and one can Rotel tomatoes. Pour over the noodles. Top with shredded cheese. You could add some vegetables with the chicken as well.

Our oven isn't working so I put it in the microwave for about 12 minutes, until heated through. Even my super picky child ate two helpings.

• 2 weeks later...

Great meal ideas here!

Cheesy steak fries was a surprise hit at my house; I thought it was a cop-out meal, but everyone loved it!

A go-to meal I make is ground beef and potato hash. Brown ground beef with onions and garlic and peppers (if I have any), add diced potatoes & seasoning salt and a bit of water and simmer, stirring, until potatoes are tender. Sometimes I even add greens like bok choy or other cabbage-variants.

My family is very meat-and-potatoes, so these are always bit hits.

Pork carnitas is the overwhelming favorite around here. We eat it in burritos, tacos and tostadas (so good with shredded jack cheese and avocado on top!). I'll use the leftovers in soup, and also to make a kind of replica of Qdoba's gumbo. My husband, who is the griddle king around here, makes cheese and pork quesadillas with it. And sometimes, we just the shredded meat by itself...that actually may be the children's favorite way to eat it!

My biggest problem are those nights when I didn’t plan ahead and find myself with 10 minutes before dinner and not sure what we are having.

Typically that becomes eggs (scrambled, fried or omelets) or pancakes.

Lately we’ve also done what a friend calls “rabbit food” which means pulling out lots of little finger type foods. Cut up fruit, carrots, veggies, slices of cheese, pieces of salami, leftover salsa and chips, etc. It cleans out the fridge a bit and the kids thinks it’s fun. They also tend to eat more veggies when presented this way.

I tried to look through all the posts, but some of my ideas may be repeats.

I go to Costco and Sam's a lot and I get the frozen chicken breast strips that are already cooked. I use these in a lot of dishes and it cuts down on the prep time. I also buy green peppers in bulk and clean them and slice them up ahead of time and freeze them. It saves me time doing it all at once. Of course, it won't work if you want them raw, but works great for sauteing. You can do onions like this too.

Chicken fajitas- use the frozen precooked chicken strips and saute some peppers and onions. I just add some chef paul (love his seasonings they are great in lots of dishes) fajita seasoning serve over tortillas with cheese and sour cream. Easy!

Philly cheesesteak wraps- same principle as above, but I use frozen shredded steak I get at Costco, pepper, onions, and melt swiss cheese over the top and add Chef Paul's meat seasoning and serve in a tortilla or a bun if you prefer. Works good with chicken too!

Chicken stir fry- I buy stir fry vegetables at Sam's that come with the sauce packet, stir fry those, add frozen precooked chicken strips, and make rice in the rice cooker.

Homemade hamburger helper- Hamburger, cooked elbow macaroni, velveeta, broccoli and Chef Paul's meat seasoning. You can use whatever seasoning you want. I just happen to really like Chef Paul's. You can also switch things around. I often make this with chicken and rice or israeli couscous instead of the hamburger and macaroni.

I have a ton more. Just need to think about them. Some of these are not the healthiest ones, but they are for the quick nights.

Edited by Refined by Silver

One we do a lot is what we called Hawiian BBQ shrimp. We peel the shrimp and make a marinade of equal parts bbq sauce (any brand will do) and something like Lawry's Hawiian marinade or a Mojo sauce (basically a citrusy sauce with garlic). We will then make kabobs or just toss them in a pan. We serve them with rice and whatever veggies we have on hand.