Menu

I'm a bit shaken up about something that happened today, just need to get it out.

DD and I were out for our normal fun time after vision therapy. She asked to go to Michael's since she still has some money left on a gift card she got for her birthday. As we were leaving the store and headed to our car she was almost hit by a lady not paying attention.

We were in the area where cars would drive in front of the store but not to the parking spaces. We started to cross because there were others crossing from the parking spaces to the store and should have had no issues, but as we got near the lane of driving closest to the parking spaces a lady, looked to be in her early to mid 60s, pulled into the parking lot from the road that runs along side the store (the store is on a corner) I saw her pulling in and then realized she wasn't going to slow down to let us finish crossing to the parking spaces, so I grabbed my daughter's arm and yanked her back. Now my dd is 10.5 and only about 4 inches shorter than I am (I'm 5'3") so it's not like we're talking a misbehaving toddler or anything. After missing us by about 2-3 inches she looped around the parking lot, we had made our way to our car and I yelled at her "You should be more careful, you almost hit my daughter" Her window was part way open so she stopped put down the other window and yelled "What" I repeated myself and her response was ...

"Well she wasn't watching where she was going"

I was flabbergasted. I then lost all politeness and yelled back "We are pedestrians and have the right of way. Maybe you need to get your eyes checked you hag"

I know I shouldn't have stooped to calling names, but the thought of my sweet, kind daughter being in a cast from hip to toe or worse was too much.

I really couldn't believe that was her thinking. Am I wrong, do we not have the right of way when crossing from a store into a parking lot, especially if we started to enter this area before she pulled into the lot.

Thanks for letting me get it out. I needed to get it off my chest as I'm still shaking about it and it happened about 2 hours ago.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I'm sorry you had to go through that. It is awful to think of loved ones being hurt.

While pedestrians usually have the right of way in these kinds of situations, and especially when you're already in the road, I always employ defensive walking. I never assume someone will stop for me, even if they should. I watch and wait to see them actually slow down. I don't know if that actually applies to your situation since you were already in the road, but whenever possible, that's what I do.

I can understand your yelling, that was really intense! And I can understand that woman's defensiveness. She probably knows she screwed up but in the moment did not respond appropriately.

I would have been pretty shaken and upset to, but something that I learned while sailing is that the law of weight has the right of way. Yes there are rules, but typically if something is bigger than you get out of the way, you are the one likely to be hurt.

It so depends on the state. We moved from CA where pedestrians have the right of way.

Soon after we moved here my older two and I witnessed a child and his mother get HIT by a car in the Target parking lot. It was horrible. The mother went flying over the hood and the child was knocked back on his back.

I was called by the law firm representing the woman and I was told by her lawyer that pedestrians do not automatically have the right of way in NC.

I am glad your daughter was ok.

Dawn

While pedestrians usually have the right of way in these kinds of situations, and especially when you're already in the road, I always employ defensive walking. I never assume someone will stop for me, even if they should. I watch and wait to see them actually slow down. I don't know if that actually applies to your situation since you were already in the road, but whenever possible, that's what I do.

:iagree:

I grew up walking everywhere as a child. We had no car. And then I was a college student in a large metropolitan city in CA with no car. I learned that tho' I legally have the right as a pedestrian in traffic... did not mean a hill of beans with nutty drivers who could care less what the law says. I became a defensive walker. We as a rule wait and let the car pass us by and give us a clear path for walking. Anywhere! Taught my son this rule too. HTH

Glad you guys are okay. :grouphug:

An older person, watching for pedestrians, other cars, traffic, looking for a spot... I would have probably let it go, assuming she just didn't see you. That doesn't make it right really, but it just is. Screaming at people generally isn't going to help me anyone, or them, and will escalate an already bad situation.

I would have been pretty shaken and upset to, but something that I learned while sailing is that the law of weight has the right of way. Yes there are rules, but typically if something is bigger than you get out of the way, you are the one likely to be hurt.

:iagree: I would never expect anyone to stop for us.

I would have been really upset, too. The good thing is that you actually yelled something that hopefully taught her a lesson. When I'm in a situation like that, it always seems like the other person gets the jab in and I just stand there :001_huh:

:grouphug::grouphug:

Aside from the hag comment, I would have wanted to do the same thing. Yes pedestrians should watch out for cars. Kel did that, otherwise this would be a very different post. Sometimes people, regardless of age, needed to reminded that driving is a responsibility.

Has your heart rate slowed down yet?

I learned that tho' I legally have the right as a pedestrian in traffic... did not mean a hill of beans with nutty drivers who could care less what the law says. I became a defensive walker.

Sorry this happened to you and your daughter.

It really doesn't matter who was right, though. We teach our kids to always be on the lookout for lousy drivers. We tell them: "You may be right, but you may be dead right."

She left the lot as soon as I was done with my last comment, she didn't park and get out of her car.

Trust me, we do watch and don't assume anyone will stop, but this lady pulled into the lot while we were clearly right next to her lane of travel, about to step into it. It wouldn't have dawned on me to stop and stand right in between the two lanes of traffic so she was allowed to pass. I understand her car seriously outweighs us which is why I yanked my dd back.

I have also checked the DMV website and found that in VA pedestrians have the right of way, but apparently to this lady that just doesn't matter.

I still have to live in this state for at least 2 more years, we've been here almost 5 years already. I've hated dealing with drivers here this whole time, seems it's always about having to have ESP and knowing what others will do so you stay out of their way.

Yes pedestrians should watch out for cars. Kel did that, otherwise this would be a very different post. Sometimes people, regardless of age, needed to reminded that driving is a responsibility.

Has your heart rate slowed down yet?

It's starting to come down, and yes I was watching, otherwise like you said my post would have been about my dd actually being hit.

((nukeswife)) Glad no one was hurt!

Don't be too hard on yourself. That's WAY nicer than what I called the woman who nearly ran over my oldest dd in the Walmart parking lot. We were walking down the aisle, being sure to stay out of the roadway because no one ever watches for pedestrians there, when suddenly a little old lady just threw her car into reverse and started backing up, never looking at all! I grabbed dd's arm and yanked as hard as I could. I didn't get her completely out of the way, but far enough so that only the corner of the bumper hit her knee. I used my other hand to POUND on the woman's car, and she stopped just shy of knocking dd down. She just raised her hands in the air like she had no idea what she'd done, and then started revving her engine. :angry:

To borrow a line, I wove quite an elaborate tapestry of obscenities that day!

She left the lot as soon as I was done with my last comment, she didn't park and get out of her car.

Trust me, we do watch and don't assume anyone will stop, but this lady pulled into the lot while we were clearly right next to her lane of travel, about to step into it. It wouldn't have dawned on me to stop and stand right in between the two lanes of traffic so she was allowed to pass. I understand her car seriously outweighs us which is why I yanked my dd back.

I have also checked the DMV website and found that in VA pedestrians have the right of way, but apparently to this lady that just doesn't matter.

I still have to live in this state for at least 2 more years, we've been here almost 5 years already. I've hated dealing with drivers here this whole time, seems it's always about having to have ESP and knowing what others will do so you stay out of their way.

She probably realized what she had done and that she was in the wrong and it probably really upset her, even though she didn't let on. Otherwise, she probably would have parked and gotten out of her car.

I think you did the right thing by yelling to her. She needed to know she had made a huge mistake and could have really hurt someone badly or even killed them. Maybe she does need to have her eyes checked. The hag comment probably wasn't necessary but, considering what you had just been through, she was probably luck it was not worse than that.....and I would bet lots of mom's in the same situation would have tacked on some sort of unsavory name to the end of their sentence.

I'm glad you had quick reflexes and that your daughter was not hurt.

It really doesn't matter who was right, though. We teach our kids to always be on the lookout for lousy drivers. We tell them: "You may be right, but you may be dead right."

BRILLIANT! I'm borrowing this!

:grouphug:

Glad everyone's OK.

Diamond is learning how to drive... I'm teaching her to know who has the right-of-way, but also to understand that there are no guarantees that other dricvers/pedestrians/etc. will be doing the right thing- actually, assume they won't until it;s clear they will.

At least, at her (OP driver's) age, we can assume she wasn't texting her BFF? :glare: :D :lol:

At least, at her (OP driver's) age, we can assume she wasn't texting her BFF? :glare: :D :lol:

Don't bet on it. I was nearly hit in a parking lot by a texting Grandma. She didn't even LOOK until I banged on her car. What did she do? She flipped me off.

Really??? How in the world's most grandest imagination could she have EVER thought she was in the right?

:glare:

When someone does this, you really should take down their plate # and call the police.

Then confront her--with the policeman right there handy. I'd be leery of yelling at someone in a parking lot that she doesn't come after you for threatening her (even though you didn't).

But I would probably have done what you did out of sheer shock. :tongue_smilie:

BRILLIANT! I'm borrowing this!

:grouphug:

Glad everyone's OK.

Diamond is learning how to drive... I'm teaching her to know who has the right-of-way, but also to understand that there are no guarantees that other dricvers/pedestrians/etc. will be doing the right thing- actually, assume they won't until it;s clear they will.

I'll be teaching ds2 to drive this year. He was with me Thursday when someone turned left (almost hit me!) at a cross street when we had the right of way. I stopped, waited for traffic to clear and started across. She was turning left, started to turn, nearly hit me and and then sat there fuming and waving her arms AT ME while I went across. :confused:

She seriously thought she had the right of way. Simple cross street (not a four way) with a simple ordinary stop sign on either side. We're rural and these things are everywhere. Left turns almost never have the right of way--and certainly not there. Once traffic clears on the street that does not have a stop sing, drivers turning right and driving across go first--just like at a green light. People turning left must wait. It's not that complicated. :tongue_smilie:

I dread teaching three more kids to drive. Really dread it. It seems in this rural area we live in, people think they get to make up new rules as it pleases them.

When someone does this, you really should take down their plate # and call the police.

Then confront her--with the policeman right there handy. I'd be leery of yelling at someone in a parking lot that she doesn't come after you for threatening her (even though you didn't).

But I would probably have done what you did out of sheer shock. :tongue_smilie:

I like this - writing down the license plate number, especially after her comment. That would certainly give her pause or at least an apology.

I wouldn't call anyone a hag because we are all gonna be that one day. :tongue_smilie:

But wow, I'm glad your daughter is safe, and that response from that lady is very aggravating.

!!!! I can't believe they let people like that drive :(

Same thing happened to me in the Walmart parking lot. Luckily I was pusshing a basket, and they just hit that :) I actually pushed it away from my self a little to kind of give a buffer zone. They didn't even stop driving! :(

It seems in this rural area we live in, people think they get to make up new rules as it pleases them.

I do NOT live in a rural area and people make up new rules ALL THE TIME! The biggest thing I see here is people doing U turns anywhere they please. I saw a car do a U turn one day on a street where the speed limit is 50mph and there are 6 lanes of traffic. Right in the middle of a block! Not even at an intersection! Whew. I better not get started, I could go on and on about bad drivers.

I am glad you and your daughter are safe. From your story, the woman was not driving safely in an area in which there were pedestrians. She was being careless and even dangerous to others.

You did the right thing by letting her know that she almost hit your dd.

You did the wrong thing by calling her a name. I think when we justify our ugliness, "it was in the heat of the moment", "I was upset", "it was a stressful situation", "I don't normally call people names but...", we set a bad example for our children. What you did was a natural reaction, but it was a loss of self control and civility.

You set a good example to your daughter by sticking up for her, but your continued response was not a good example of how to handle yourself in a stressful situation. I'd mention to your dd how you regret this part of the situation and how you hope respond differently the next time a stressful

situation occurs.

First, I'm sorry you had to go through that. It is awful to think of loved ones being hurt.

I can understand your yelling, that was really intense! And I can understand that woman's defensiveness. She probably knows she screwed up but in the moment did not respond appropriately.

I'm so glad y'all are ok!

We refer to that as the law of gross tonnage. :D

I grew up walking everywhere as a child. We had no car. And then I was a college student in a large metropolitan city in CA with no car. I learned that tho' I legally have the right as a pedestrian in traffic... did not mean a hill of beans with nutty drivers who could care less what the law says. I became a defensive walker. We as a rule wait and let the car pass us by and give us a clear path for walking. Anywhere! Taught my son this rule too. HTH

An older person, watching for pedestrians, other cars, traffic, looking for a spot... I would have probably let it go, assuming she just didn't see you. That doesn't make it right really, but it just is. Screaming at people generally isn't going to help me anyone, or them, and will escalate an already bad situation.

I'll be teaching ds2 to drive this year. He was with me Thursday when someone turned left (almost hit me!) at a cross street when we had the right of way. I stopped, waited for traffic to clear and started across. She was turning left, started to turn, nearly hit me and and then sat there fuming and waving her arms AT ME while I went across. :confused:

She seriously thought she had the right of way. Simple cross street (not a four way) with a simple ordinary stop sign on either side. We're rural and these things are everywhere. Left turns almost never have the right of way--and certainly not there. Once traffic clears on the street that does not have a stop sing, drivers turning right and driving across go first--just like at a green light. People turning left must wait. It's not that complicated. :tongue_smilie:

I dread teaching three more kids to drive. Really dread it. It seems in this rural area we live in, people think they get to make up new rules as it pleases them.

We're teaching 2 dc to drive now. I keep telling them 2 things:

1. Driving is easy. Watching out for the crazies is hard.

2. If you're driving, pedestrians have the right of way. If you're walking, vehicles have the right of way.

In California, or at least in the Bay Area, bikers are supposed to stop at stop signs. But they don't, so I always just wait for them, even if it's my right-of-way, because I can't count on them to obey the law. I suppose it's harder to stop and go a bike, so I understand, but it's still very dangerous for bikers who think this way.

I'm glad people are taking an offensive position when walking. I do it all the time because drivers can be distracted for any number of reasons.

We have still been here less than a year so while I knew the rules in CA (pedestrians have the right of way) and some other states we lived in (not all), I realized I didn;t know Alabama's take. Thankfully, it was what I thought- pedestrians have the right of way but pedestrians have responsibilities too like not jaywalking.

It seems in this rural area we live in, people think they get to make up new rules as it pleases them.

Gee you should move here. People don't have to make up new rules--the traffic laws are already insane. I'm talking about yield signs at nearly every intersection. This allows a left on green (not a green arrow) to have right-of-way over a right on green. I'm not kidding. It leads people to believe they always have the right of way when turning left. And then there are the signs that tell you who are making a u-turn on a green arrow to yield to the cars making right turns from the cross street into your lane.

:grouphug: people don't pay attention. This morning, my dh was ON the sidewalk and *was* hit by a car that came barreling out of a parking lot, the driver looking the other way. His ankle isn't too great, but it's not broken. (did x-rays).

I don't care anymore about if I have the right of way or not - I make sure I see the driver's eyes because too many drivers just don't bother to look for pedestrians/cyclists.

I agree that it is upsetting, but screaming at people and calling them names doesn't help anything. I hate parking lots, and hang on to even my oldest kids (much to their chagrin). You never know when someone will back out and not see you. I am always careful to check, but so many times, people have just darted out. It's not their fault, and it is up to drivers to move very slowly, just in case, which is the rule rather than the exception. People always have the right of way, but they don't always pay close attention, as your dd was not. But you were, and you saved her from injury. I am sure it was terrible!

We all have make some mistakes when driving; the sun is often blinding, the baby is screaming, the mirrors not always angled perfectly, but most of us get lucky that it ends ok. It doesn't sound like great speed was an issue. Parking lots demand that pedestrians be aware. It's just common sense. You were aware, and everything was fine. The woman might have been defensive and nervous, but she didn't call you names, so I think it was wrong to scream at her in front of a 10 year old. Civility in these situations might be diffucult, but it's helpful.

Edited by LibraryLover

I get what many are saying about not calling names, and I am sorry I let myself get there, but it was her response and tone that really made me snap. She didn't say "I'm sorry I didn't see you," her tone was snarky and blamed my dd for not watching where she was walking. Well we were there first and although she wasn't going super fast, I would estimate it was at least 25mph. She wasn't driving in that area when we first started to cross from the store into the parking lot, so shouldn't she be more careful when pulling in knowing that the likelihood of someone leaving the store is pretty good. As I said the store is on a corner, so once you turn off the road into the lot it's only about 30ft before you hit the area where people may be walking across to get to their cars.

I yelled the first time to get her attention because it's been hot and her window was barely open.

The bolding and color in the quote is mine, and I just wanted to comment on that. Clearly she wasn't watching for pedestrians if she almost ran into us, since after all we were the pedestrians she should have been watching for.

I'm sorry. We (the collective we, me and all the kiddos) had a close call several months ago and I was a little shaken for a week. ((Hugs.))

I am now picky about choosing my parking spots.

I try to look for parking spots that are right next to the curb in a parking lot. But in a mall situation, that's really difficult. It's always stressful for me when I take DD out and have to go into a parking lot. You would think a parking lot is safe - not crossing a street - but sometimes it may even be worse. I have to watch out for cars backing out, watch out for cars looking for spaces. The way I'm constantly looking side to side, turning around, scanning - I look like a freak. I'm telling you, it's like a mine field out there. :tongue_smilie:

So as a driver, I need to be extra cautious because I have noticed that some moms don't hold their toddlers' hands.

I get what many are saying about not calling names, and I am sorry I let myself get there, but it was her response and tone that really made me snap. She didn't say "I'm sorry I didn't see you," her tone was snarky and blamed my dd for not watching where she was walking. Well we were there first and although she wasn't going super fast, I would estimate it was at least 25mph. She wasn't driving in that area when we first started to cross from the store into the parking lot, so shouldn't she be more careful when pulling in knowing that the likelihood of someone leaving the store is pretty good. As I said the store is on a corner, so once you turn off the road into the lot it's only about 30ft before you hit the area where people may be walking across to get to their cars.

I yelled the first time to get her attention because it's been hot and her window was barely open.

You have to rise above it. You don't want your child on the news because she called an elderly bus driver names as she learned at home it was ok to spew hatred. We have to teach them the right way to handle things...as difficult as that is.

Everyone makes mistakes, and maybe she was snarky, or maybe she was scared to death due to a scary/horrible driving moment-- moments all of us who drive have experienced at least once. It was your job to watch your 10 year old in a busy parking lot, and you did your job! That's what we do.

I know another poster implied she was drunk (which is weird to imply, imo), but if you thought she was drunk, you should have called the police.

Walking to the car of a woman (with a 10 year old child by my side), and yelling to her that she is a hag, is sexist and ugly, so there is no way I can side with you on that. Think of how you would come across on the parking lot footage if shown on Dr Phil. ;)

I *can* side with your fright and worry about your child almost getting hurt. We have all been there.

Edited by LibraryLover

:grouphug: I totally understand your reaction. I tell my kids all the time that drivers in parking lots are looking for a space NOT kids.

I have always told my children that parking lots are dangerous. There are too many blind spots, too many people pulling in and out, and too many people walking ladeeda without looking. Backing out of an spot is a nightmare. People don't look where they are going. But I don't blame people as much as I blame our Mega Lot culture. I try to avoid big box stores whenever I can. (Not that fender benders and the like can't happen anywhere, of course. It's the price we pay for fast transportation.)

Parking lot culture is of the devil. It brings out the worst in people; in drivers and pedestrians alike. It takes a lot to overcome it. My 'favorite' insaniy is people going to the gym and trying to get some sort of prime parking spot. I can't believe that you are going to fight for a spot closest to the entrance, but then run on the treadmill for 30 minutes. People really can be crazy.

Edited by LibraryLover

Walking to the car of a woman (with a 10 year old child by my side), and yelling to her that she is a hag, is sexist and ugly, so there is no way I can side with you on that. Think of how you would come across on the parking lot footage if shown on Dr Phil. ;)

I *can* side with your fright and worry about your child almost getting hurt. We have all been there.

I didn't walk over to her car. We had walked to OUR car and she drove behind OUR parked car, so I yelled my initial phrase of "You should be more careful, you almost hit my daughter"

I really don't give a flying fig what Dr. Phil would think of me. If someone almost hits my kid because they are too busy to pay attention to where they are driving and then have the nerve to blame my kid, they deserve to get a hollar from me.

After reading it over and over, I change my mind I'm not sorry I said it.