Menu

Do you tip at Sonic?

Do you tip at Sonic?  

1. 1. Do you tip at Sonic?

• Yes, always! Those poor people count on our tips!
    • No, never! The thought never crossed my mind.
    • Onlywhen they bring my food while wearing roller skates!
    • Obligatory other for the difficult ones...

Other: we don't have Sonic as far as I know.

I have been to other drive-ins over the years. If we stay there to eat and if they actually provide service...yes, I will tip but in the low 10% range. If I just drive up and order, then drive off (We get just root beer at A&W sometimes) then no, I don't.

ETA: in Washington, all servers make at least minimum wage.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

My daughter works at Sonic. Most people tip, but she skates and is friendly, and good carhop, so maybe that's why. I didn't know that some people didn't know you should tip the car hops.

My dd makes good money but she does work hard for it. Most of her friends won't work there because being a cashier is so much easier, but she's the one who makes the most in her group of friends.

What?? I had no idea we were supposed to. :001_smile: I just went to Sonic today and the food-bringer-outer said, "I'll be your waitress today.. is there anything else you need?" I was thinking, "How dumb. You're not a waitress, you're a food-bringer-outer." But I actually said "No" and then sped off like a maniac. Got home, gave the kiddos their hotdogs... and my HAMBURGER WAS MISSING! :glare: I had to eat a banana for lunch :glare: Miss Sorry-Excuse-for-a -waitress didn't even check to see if she got all my food in the bag. I forgive her though.

So, the point of all this is:

1. I had no idea a tip was expected, but now I am no longer confused by the comment today by our "waitress". Why yes, I am slow. I've been going to Sonic for years, and it never occured to me.:001_huh:

2. I felt bad for a split second, but then it passed since she didn't deserve a tip anyway. I would have lost even MORE money had I tipped!

3. I will use the drive-thru for now on. The only reason I park is so I don't feel rushed to make a decision when I get up to the window.

4. I can't believe all of this! Sonic food is rediculously over-priced as it is! But I will continue to go because they deep-fry their corndogs.

The End.

I emailed Sonic trying to get a straight answer if they work for tips or not. Never did get an answer. I often lately have been paying with my debit card and so I don't tip but they don't offer that as an option if you pay with your cc or debit card.

So Yes if I pay cash usually yes.

If I pay debit no.

I always used to until they changed to where you can use debit cards. For some reason their system doesn't allow you to leave tips so now I only leave a tip when I have cash.

I do think that they deserve tips as they are more than just fast food service workers. They bring your food out to your car rain or shine and will make extra efforts to make sure that you have everything you need.

Well, I did a little googling. I clearly remembered an article, years ago, saying the local Sonic workers were paid minimum wage and tips were not counted on in the same way as other waitresses. I found a few things that said, due to franchising, it does depend. I did find a current "help wanted" at the local Sonic that boasted of good tips.

Now, what I run into is...

1. I don't carry much cash. At all. A handful of change, usually. If we buy food there, I use my card. There is not a tip option at Sonic. At sit-down restaurants, we always leave a tip on the card.

2. If we buy drinks at happy hour, we spend $2-$3 on drinks. So, how much tip is appropriate on that amount? Hand them 20% and call it an excellent tip?

Edited by snickelfritz

Thanks for all the responses! I admit to being baffled by all of this. The thought never crossed my mind before today. To me it was just like any other fast food establishment. Does it matter if you stay and eat there? We always treat it as a drive through. I am fairly certain the ones around here get minimum wage (not below). I do not go to Sonic very often, but when we do it is usually for happy hour/half price drinks. How much does one tip on a $.99 drink? and if you have to tip on it, the deal doesn't seem to wonderful anymore.

I always drive up instead of through so I am not rushed to order, or if the line is long. And it is a little nicer to just sit and wait instead of slowly progressing through a line, Also, I think I just think it is cool since we never had a Sonic when I was little! ;)

If tips ARE expected, why is there no option when you pay with a credit/debit card which I almost ALWAYS do... even for my $1.00 drink. :confused: And why did no one ever tell me this before now?!?!? :001_huh:

Though, I am still not convinced. This poll being split in half is not helping my confusion. :willy_nilly:

I always do, because I had a friend who worked there years ago and made less than minimum wage, and depended on her tips. Even if I pay with my cc/debit card I will still give the car hop a cash tip when she brings out the food. Once, I was embarrassed to discover that I only had 50 lousy cents on hand! But I gave it to her, and she thanked me just as warmly as if I had given her a generous tip, which impressed me. (And told me that they probably DO depend on their tips, if they appreciate every one that much!)

To me the ownership of Sonic deliberately discouraged tipping their employees when they went to their current electronic pay option which doesn't allow you to add a tip. Why would they do this? I know the technology is there to enter a tip. That being the case, I assume that they are aware that they have drastically reduced the tip potential for their own employees.

However...if I do have cash I do tip. No cash...no tip.

I voted other. I have in the past, but don't usually. I have never been able to figure out whether or not they get paid minimum wage. If they get paid less, then I want to tip. But I usually pay with a credit card, and I do not think there is a way to tip on the credit card at our local Sonics.

In TX, if a waiter doesn't make minimum wage with tips then the employer has to make up the difference. I would assume the same would go for Sonic employees if they are paid less than minimum wage by Sonic.

As for carhops being forced to pay for food when people drive off: How is that even legal?!? HOW in the WORLD can they justify that?! Unless they're assuming that the carhop will know if the food's been paid for before they walk out with it, they will get the money first before handing over the food, and if they don't then they are complicit in the stealing. I've heard of restaurants doing this to waiters when people walk out, too, which makes even less sense. Thankfully none of the places my waiter husband works has had this vile policy.

I don't tip at Sonic. I also don't sit and eat and I don't ask them to go back for anything unleas my order is messed up. The one by our house does not have a drive thru option. It also had awful drinks!! So I have not been to a Sonic in two years!

:iagree: My daughter had to pay $80 one night!

In my state it is not legal for an employer to make an employee pay for things like that. That totally sucks and even in states where it is legal is a bad policy and hearing that makes me think twice about stopping at Sonic for drinks when we drive through a city with one (for the best since I can't drink them now!) I think it is incumbent on the restaurant to set up a system that ensures they get paid and not take it out on the low wage food service worker.

Edited by kijipt

In my state it is not legal for an employer to make an employee pay for things like that. That totally sucks and even in states where it is legal is a bad policy and hearing that makes me think twice about stopping at Sonic for drinks when we drive through a city with one (for the best since I can't drink them now!) I think it is incumbent on the restaurant to set up a system that ensures they get paid and not take it out on the low wage food service worker.

They don't say she is paying for the drive off, they say she is paying for the shortage. Every order she takes out, she has to scan into her system atthe end of the night she has to have the money for everything she scanned for. If she comes up short she has to pay the difference. If she comes up over they keep the difference.

The only time she had a drive off, wasn't really her fault or the customers. The customer called in the order, then paid with a credit card. Then the customer called back and added something to the order. The change in the order caused the computer to cancel the credit card payment. The customer was supposed to run the card again, but probably didn't realize it. My dd didn't take the order, she only carried it out, and she thought the order was paid, because she had the original receipt and it said it was paid. It was really the fault of the person taking the order, but my dd had to pay it, and $80 is like a week's pay for her!

I tip sometimes. I don't always tip them. If I go to happy hour in order to save money, I'm not going to give them more than small change. I often give them 15-20 cents to go along with my $1 drink. It just depends on the day and how much I have. Some days I have nothing, so I give them nothing. Other times I go above and beyond. I don't feel obligated...it is a fast food place, not a restaurant.

Here (northeast Florida) they make $5/hour, they depend on tips to come up to minimum wage. They also have to make up any money lost through drive offs.

I am so glad that you posted this!! I am in NE FLA, and I too am guilty. I usually leave the change as a tip. I will definitely be tipping them more now. I had no idea that they only made $5/hr. I honestly think they should have a sign up, maybe saying tips are appreciated. Thanks for sharing the info!!

I do tip them since my nearest Sonic is in a college town, and I know the servers are all students at the university. I recently went during "happy hour" and the total was something crazy like $1.75. I gave her a $5 and told her to keep it. she was shocked, and I thought WOW! My change just made her day! And then she started telling me she was saving up her money and trying hard NOT to need to take out her college loan for her last semester. You never know how your change can bless a person!

Lordy , I never thought of that! There is a Sonic near CollegeMan's college and we always stop there either coming or going from school....now I better make sure I have a couple bucks handy to tip the kid who brings out the food. I do not recall ever seeing a way to add a tip when swiping a card, like I have done each time I order.

Thanks for the heads up!

I voted no, although dh would sometimes. As it is these days we haven't been to one in many, many months and if we went previously it was just for drinks as they didn't have anything to eat and even then that was extremely rare. It seems an odd thing to expect people to tip for though, as it isn't much different than regular fastfood. Also, it seems as a pp stated that with the change to electronic transactions so much they need to change that as well. I'd rather they just pay everyone the same personally. I hate tip etiquette.

Our local sonics now pay minimum wage. In years past they were paid much less, at one time only $2.85 an hour. I will tip sometimes, maybe up to the next dollar or 2, but not always. Ours now has signs posted saying that the server is not allowed to ask for tips, or ask if you want the change, and must always give back all change. You can then give them part of the change if you chose, but they are not to assume that they will automatically receive it. Apparently some rules like that are determined by local owners.

When I worked at Sonic we were paid minimum wage (5.15 at the time I started). I'd say about 50-60% of my customers tipped, and I walked away with at least $10/hr on nights I car hopped, which was way more than a 16-yr-old could have gotten anywhere else at that time. We did not have to pay for drive-offs that we had scanned; my boss said that was illegal and he always removed them from our tally.

We don't go to Sonic very often because my husband doesn't like the food and it is way overpriced. That being id, I personally think minimum wage is perfectly acceptable for a fast food job, and I only tip at Sonic if a server goes above and beyond, if we stay and eat there, or if there is a little change that I would rather not have jangling around in my purse. Sometimes I also tip if the carhop skates, which is increasingly rare around here, because that makes it more of a fun experience than just picking up fast food.

Other: Yes, but not if all I have is a card and no cash, in which case I feel guilty. But we have a Sonic nearby and it's always the same two servers, and they know I make up the tip the next time; so not too guilty.

This is me. I so rarely have cash.

If there is a waiter, I tip.

Carol

Mom 3 boys:)

Are fast-food deliverers waiters, though? They don't refill drinks or come back to check on you (then again, neither did our waitress at Applebees recently!). Once they take the money and give you your order, the customer interaction is pretty much over. If it's the walking that makes one a waiter, what about the times when a worker at a counter or in the drive-through has to bring your order to you for whatever reason? Do you (I mean the general you) tip then?

I think all Sonics should pay at least minimum wage. It's absurd that some apparently don't.

Edited by WordGirl

Are fast-food deliverers waiters?

:iagree:

I do not tip and I go to Sonic often. I don't care how the system is set up - its fast food. I have to order it, and they carry it to me. To me it's no different than having someone hand me food at Wendy's. Carrying a drink to my car is not a huge service and not one deserving of a tip.

I also do not tip at most 'fast casual' places. If I have to stand in line, order my food, get my drink, and refill my drink - and you carry out my food to me - no tip. It's ridiculous. I will tip marginally for fast casual that refills my drink.

I will say that at sit down places I tip well. I consider 20% after tax my norm. I will also tip above that and call a manager over to laud a waiter for excellent service.

Are fast-food deliverers waiters, though? They don't refill drinks or come back to check on you (then again, neither did our waitress at Applebees recently!). Once they take the money and give you your order, the customer interaction is pretty much over. If it's the walking that makes one a waiter, what about the times when a worker at a counter or in the drive-through has to bring your order to you for whatever reason? Do you (I mean the general you) tip then?

I think all Sonics should pay at least minimum wage. It's absurd that some apparently don't.

:iagree:

I guess I'll hit the drive-through line, instead of parking, to avoid any future question. It's faster, anyway. I just like parking to get everything distributed to people.

I am seriously amazed at how heated this topic got on FB. One person even called it a "controversial" topic... :001_huh:

I did a little googling myself and apparently the opinion is split down the middle. I imagine that is because some Sonics pay minimum wage and some pay less... If they got paid less then I can see expecting tips, but not if they make min wage.

Well, I am officially unconvinced. :tongue_smilie: I think I will find out the wage of the local Sonic. But if it is minimum wage, I will continue to use the drive up without tipping . . . without guilt. :tongue_smilie: If it is less, I shall reconsider. Glad I don't go often because I can see this driving me crazy! :lol: