Menu

Do you tip at Sonic?

Do you tip at Sonic?  

1. 1. Do you tip at Sonic?

• Yes, always! Those poor people count on our tips!
    • No, never! The thought never crossed my mind.
    • Onlywhen they bring my food while wearing roller skates!
    • Obligatory other for the difficult ones...

I tip every time we go, and usually will give at least a $1 tip, even if the total is less than $3---and I consider myself pretty frugal. I feel that's the least I can do for the workers who bring my food to me (quickly too!) at my car-side. The servers are usually very friendly, and will bring extra straws or ketchup when we ask for it. You don't get that at the drive-thru at Mickey D's!

I tip every time we go, and usually will give at least a $1 tip, even if the total is less than $3---and I consider myself pretty frugal. I feel that's the least I can do for the workers who bring my food to me (quickly too!) at my car-side. The servers are usually very friendly, and will bring extra straws or ketchup when we ask for it. You don't get that at the drive-thru at Mickey D's!

Um... Yes you do???? We ask them for the same things we ask of Sonic. I actually find Chick-Fil-A to be the only fast food restaurant that consistently stands our for friendliness and helpfulness, no matter which one you visit. And they don't accept tips. As with most restaurants, the speed and friendliness of Sonic definitely depends on which server and which store. At our old house, even the kids knew it as the "Slow Sonic"

Um... Yes you do???? We ask them for the same things we ask of Sonic. I actually find Chick-Fil-A to be the only fast food restaurant that consistently stands our for friendliness and helpfulness, no matter which one you visit. And they don't accept tips. As with most restaurants, the speed and friendliness of Sonic definitely depends on which server and which store. At our old house, even the kids knew it as the "Slow Sonic"

I agree that Chick-Fil-A is a genuinely happy and friendly place to visit. We love to go there when we can, and usually don't pass one without stopping.

Now, our McDonald's is a whole 'nother ball of wax. I've been there standing at the counter with maybe one other customer when there were (I counted) 15 employees---and they couldn't take my order, nor serve the food in less than 10 or 15 minutes. If there are more than 4 or 5 customers at the counter, the wait hovers around 30 minutes to be served. That, to me, is an issue. I've called to complain about this particular location, but it was all in vain. There have been no changes, nor do I anticipate seeing any in the near future. Lately we just avoid it at all costs.

Sonic has 1/2 price milk shakes after 8 pm, so they're getting our business, and our tips, for now.

I don't recall Chik-Fil-A being a happy place, but I wondered what all the hype was about. I had my chance to find out when we went to PA. They really do have good chicken sandwiches!

The ones here definitely get good customer service training. They are very polite, helpful (visit tables to do refills and collect trash, etc...). When the drive-through line is long, they send someone out with a headset, to visit cars in line and take orders to speed things up. My kids don't like their chicken, so we rarely go there.

In my state it is not legal for an employer to make an employee pay for things like that. That totally sucks and even in states where it is legal is a bad policy and hearing that makes me think twice about stopping at Sonic for drinks when we drive through a city with one (for the best since I can't drink them now!) I think it is incumbent on the restaurant to set up a system that ensures they get paid and not take it out on the low wage food service worker.

:iagree:

The ones here definitely get good customer service training. They are very polite, helpful (visit tables to do refills and collect trash, etc...).

Yes, yes! One of our favorite locations even sends someone around the tables during lunchtime with little samples of their desserts in souffle cups. We love that! I've never had a bad experience at a Chick-Fil-A.

(I know I'm really getting off topic, but since we were discussing service, I thought it might apply. :))

I am seriously amazed at how heated this topic got on FB. One person even called it a "controversial" topic... :001_huh:

Well, I am officially unconvinced. :tongue_smilie: I think I will find out the wage of the local Sonic. But if it is minimum wage, I will continue to use the drive up without tipping . . . without guilt. :tongue_smilie:

This *is* controversial around our home b/c we go to the Sonic a lot and want to be fair, but resent having to tip for such minimal service.

However, here's our dilemma. . . we use the drive-thru to avoid the tipping issue BUT if there is a line the carhops bring the order to you. I then feel an obligation to tip. I'd prefer they just let me wait in the line. lol!

It's *almost* enough to send me to McDonald's. :auto:

I think sonic food is nasty, so we never eat there. The only thing I like is their cherry limeades, so I just use the drive-thru when I want one. Were I to eat there, though, no, I don't think I would have considered tipping. It's fast food, it's supposed to be fast and cheap. They don't provide the full services of a normal waiter/waitress. And as for just bringing you your food, so does Carl's Jr. And they will go back and get other things for you and check on you if they come by later. Delivering the food is just giving you what you've paid for, not a tip-worthy service. If they aren't making enough without tips, then that's an issue with the employer.

Always always tip your server, please. DD18 works at Sonic they make $5/hour it is assumed they get enough tips to come up to minimum wage. If folks don't tip they earn less then minimum. If you drive off without paying (yes people do that) the carhop has to cover the price of the food.

Wait. Wha?

You mean they give the driver the food without getting the money first and then the person drives off? In that case, they should pay for the food they gave away. Most employers give a bit of grace, but even when I worked McD or Wataburger, if a customer left without paying, we had to show the manager the food to add to the loss count. If we did that, we didn't have to pay. If we didn't, then employees would eat for free or give it to buddies in the drive thru and claim it was a drive off when it wasn't. :glare: There's no reason for a drive through or car hop to not take the money before handing out the food, so this solved the food loss issues quickly.

However, if you mean the driver places an order and then drives off without picking it up or paying? I'd quit on the spot if they told me to pay for that order. I have no control whatsoever over what orders are not picked up and I believe this is illegal on the part of the employer.

Very rarely. I assume they are paid minimum wage tips are generally for folks who do more than one trip to the car with food. If you paid for food delivery, you'd have to tip at all fast food restaurants because they do get the order ready and bring it to your car or the service counter???

Europeans scorn Americans for tipping too much. I sometimes get what they mean.

On the other hand, I do on rare occasions have someone at Sonic that ends up going the extra distance and I will tip them.

This *is* controversial around our home b/c we go to the Sonic a lot and want to be fair, but resent having to tip for such minimal service.

However, here's our dilemma. . . we use the drive-thru to avoid the tipping issue BUT if there is a line the carhops bring the order to you. I then feel an obligation to tip. I'd prefer they just let me wait in the line. lol!

It's *almost* enough to send me to McDonald's. :auto:

But who decides what is fair? If you don't think it deserves a tip, who says you have to? I am not sure this is cut and dry and since societal norms are completely split on the issue, I don't think one way or the other is "wrong". And I would certainly NOT tip if I was in the drive through and they brought me my food. That happens sometimes at other fast food places here they have an issue and have you pull up to get your food. That is their fault, not the customer. I wouldnt tip in that situation.

I am all for fair tipping, and I consider myself a good tipper, but I do think as a society we are getting a little tip happy. . . What's next? Truly anyone can set out a tip jar. ;)

Are fast-food deliverers waiters, though? They don't refill drinks or come back to check on you (then again, neither did our waitress at Applebees recently!). Once they take the money and give you your order, the customer interaction is pretty much over. If it's the walking that makes one a waiter, what about the times when a worker at a counter or in the drive-through has to bring your order to you for whatever reason? Do you (I mean the general you) tip then?

I think all Sonics should pay at least minimum wage. It's absurd that some apparently don't.

:iagree: If they don't offer a drive through option, I don't tip just because they walk to my car. The Schlotzky's by our house ALWAYS makes you pull forward! Then they have to walk the food out to you. It does not matter if it is busy and it has nothing to do with a mistake in the order. I don't tip them. I get better service at the drive through at Chick Fil A than I ever had at any of the dozens of Sonics I have been to.

I always request ketchup, sauce, napkins, and salt no matter what drive thru I am in. Even the ones that take the order at the drive thru rarely remember to put it in. I ask nothing more of a Sonic car hop than I do of a drive thru worker, and MUCH MUCH less than any wait staff at a sit down restaurant.

**I do tip when a group is doing a fundraiser at Sonic or another fast food place.**

I think sonic food is nasty, so we never eat there. The only thing I like is their cherry limeades, so I just use the drive-thru when I want one. Were I to eat there, though, no, I don't think I would have considered tipping. It's fast food, it's supposed to be fast and cheap. They don't provide the full services of a normal waiter/waitress. And as for just bringing you your food, so does Carl's Jr. And they will go back and get other things for you and check on you if they come by later. Delivering the food is just giving you what you've paid for, not a tip-worthy service. If they aren't making enough without tips, then that's an issue with the employer.

The sonic brand does not want tipping to be implied, so that is why they don't offer tipping option on the card. But many franchise owners do expect their carhops to receive tips, so they pay less than minimum wage.

That said, I think car hops do more than McDonald's cashier as far as serving, so it reasonable to tip them for that. But if you don't think so, don't tip. The carhops do expect tips though, and if you are a needy customer, and then don't tip,they will come home and talk about the cranky customer that wanted everything and then stiffed them on the tip.