Menu

I feel sick - injured child, WWYD?

*Please don't quote! I may delete later. Thank you.*

(ETA: the injury happened yesterday, we saw it today)

Short version:

One of the neighbor kids came over today to play. The girls were playing on the shady sidewalk in front of our house. My older DD came in and asked me to look at the girl's burns, because DD was very worried. I went out and I saw her thigh was loosely wrapped in a thick white sheet. I asked her what happened. She unwrapped the cloth and showed me her leg. It had a HUGE burn on (covered most of her upper thigh), with a large oval-ish area (maybe 5 or 6 inches by 3 in) where the skin had peeled off. The area around it was various shades of pink and red. She also showed me her hand that had a couple of huge bubble blisters on it. :(

I asked her what happened and she said that she fell on lighter fluid and no, she hadn't gone to the doctor.

In private, I asked DD if it seemed like her friend was in pain. She said that Friend had to scoot on the ground and couldn't reach some of the toys she wanted. I think she meant that her leg hurt too much to move it and get the stuff.

I came in, grabbed DH, and told him about it. He was VERY worried, especially because it was a chemical burn. He said I should go talk to the mother. At my strong urging he ended up talking to her. (I suck at confrontation).

So, he went down to their house and talked with the mom (who now hates us). DH is a very, very nice guy. He told her we were concerned about Friend's burns, told her why he's extra concerned about chemical burns, wanted to make sure everything was okay and asked if Friend had seen the doctor. (no.) He encouraged her to take her in to be seen.

He came home and Friend's Mom calls me and says that she felt "uncomfortable" with DH coming over and explained over and over again that they're on top of things, know what they're doing, etc.

I explained over and over again that we're just concerned, we care about Friend, we know that she (mom) is a good mom, our kids get injured too, we weren't trying to insinuate that we were going to take this situation further than a conversation (IOW, DH - who's a mandated reporter - wasn't going to call CPS), etc.

I understand why she felt defensive. I definitely get it. And, I'm not in the habit of sticking my nose into other people's parenting choices. But I didn't feel right about us (DH or I) saying *nothing at all* kwim? I was (and still am, honestly) genuinely concerned that they're under-treating her HUGE burn on her thigh.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

I think we just permanently screwed up our relationship with neighbor mom. Were we (DH and I) really that far over the line?

Where is the line between genuine concern and being a busybody?

(Please be gentle.)

Edited by shinyhappypeople

I don't think you crossed a line. It might depend on your dh's demeanor and tone as to how the woman TOOK the information, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have said anything.

You were thinking of the welfare of her child, that's never wrong. Over the line would have been calling the cops without talking to her.

She may feel defensive. Maybe you could take some cookies over or something to the girl, maybe your dd could make some and take them, just as a get well. Maybe make a card. That way it becomes you acknowledging the injury without further accusation.

I think you did the right thing. You went to her, you spoke gently, you re-assured her of your intentions and non-judgment... The rest is in her hands. She'll probably calm down. I think it speaks well of your relationship with her that she felt free to call you and tell you how she feels. Open communication isn't about always liking what the other has to say, but both rather about both sides feeling "heard," regardless of the response.

I don't think you were too nosy, because you went to her. If you had called CPS, or went at her accusing, it would be a different story. But, no, in this case, I think it sounds like you handled it perfectly.

I would have done the same thing and I hate confrontation too. If the burns did not look well cared for and she hadn't been to the doctor I wouldn't hesitate to ask about them. The welfare of the child is more important that making mom angry IMO. If she got defensive, it was because something is wrong.

BTW...I think the story of "falling on lighter fluid" is fishy. I would have been thinking of calling child services.

I think you guys did the right thing.

You and your husband did nothing wrong. Frankly, I can't imagine any "normal" parent getting upset at someone expressing concern about something like that. Honestly, after the reaction you got, I would get more concerned about the cause of the burn and why they wouldn't want to get it properly treated, than I would have with seeing the burn to begin with.

I would have done the same thing and I hate confrontation too. If the burns did not look well cared for and she hadn't been to the doctor I wouldn't hesitate to ask about them. The welfare of the child is more important that making mom angry IMO. If she got defensive, it was because something is wrong.

BTW...I think the story of "falling on lighter fluid" is fishy. I would have been thinking of calling child services.

:iagree:

I'd be worried, too. I've always heard that burns that size should be seen by a doctor. Poor kid. I had a second degree burn on my thigh, not as larger as hers, and it hurt a LOT! Silvadene will help it heal and protect it from infection, but that's only available by prescription, right?

I'd have asked the mom about how it happened, too. Did your dh ask? Was lighter fluid spilled somewhere?

Wendi

I don't think you crossed a line. It might depend on your dh's demeanor and tone as to how the woman TOOK the information, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have said anything.

You were thinking of the welfare of her child, that's never wrong. Over the line would have been calling the cops without talking to her.

She may feel defensive. Maybe you could take some cookies over or something to the girl, maybe your dd could make some and take them, just as a get well. Maybe make a card. That way it becomes you acknowledging the injury without further accusation.

That is another one of your many great peacekeeping ideas. You are a great resource for many on the board . Your suggestion here is perfect!! It acknowledges the seriousness of the injury without placing judgment on the parent who does care for her child. I always learn something from your posts.

You and your husband did nothing wrong. Frankly, I can't imagine any "normal" parent getting upset at someone expressing concern about something like that. Honestly, after the reaction you got, I would get more concerned about the cause of the burn and why they wouldn't want to get it properly treated, than I would have with seeing the burn to begin with.

:iagree:Burns can get infected and be very dangerous. If the burn is as large as you describe and she has blisters, the girl should have been taken to the ER. Even if the mom didn't realize at first the seriousness of a burn, she should have the child seen by a doctor as soon as possible. Why the defensiveness?:001_huh:

You did the right thing. I probably wouldn't have handled it as well. My reaction would be, "have you looked at her leg today? A wound like that can get infected, your child can get a staph infection and DIE. If you don't take her, I WILL."

Insert a few, "have you lost your mind?" and "idiots!" and you have my response.

I don't think you crossed a line at all. I would however call someone if in a day or two the child still hasn't been treated for the burn and it doesn't look like it's being properly cared for.

While I'm a firm believer that most things don't require a Dr. visit {even burns}, it doesn't sound like this child is getting proper home treatment of it either {aloe, vanilla to prevent blisters, keeping it properly bandaged, etc}. Is this family perhaps not in a position to be able to afford to take said child to the doctor? If you think that at all, I'd go over with some aloe if you have it or silverdene and offer it to the mom.

And yes, accidents do happen. I backed into a toaster when I was 12 and burned a good portion of my back, but my parents treated it with aloe and kept it bandaged until it healed. It did scar slightly but time has faded it.

You did the right thing. I probably wouldn't have handled it as well. My reaction would be, "have you looked at her leg today? A wound like that can get infected, your child can get a staph infection and DIE. If you don't take her, I WILL."

Insert a few, "have you lost your mind?" and "idiots!" and you have my response.

Something sounds fishy about the mom's reaction and the girl's story. Have you ever had any "red flag" feelings about that family?

I have to admit, when I first read the girl's explanation, I thought "Uh...no." I mean, anything CAN happen, but that combined with the fact that they didn't get her medical attention seems a little "off". Did you mean an actual BEDsheet was wrapped on her leg? I agree with Ruby Sue, I'd have been hard pressed not to list all the dire things that can happen when you don't treat a wound and it gets infected.

:iagree:Burns can get infected and be very dangerous. If the burn is as large as you describe and she has blisters, the girl should have been taken to the ER. Even if the mom didn't realize at first the seriousness of a burn, she should have the child seen by a doctor as soon as possible. Why the defensiveness?:001_huh:

I always end up sounding defensive whenever someone questions my decisions. Maybe she has the same problem. When someone asks me about homeschooling I always sound like a complete idiot because I feel like they are judging me on someting I'm doing and I know it almost always sounds defensive.

From her viewpoint, how do you know she hasn't been in contact with her pediatrician and received instruction. Maybe they can't afford an ER trip and are waiting for Tuesday morning to schedule an office visit. Maybe there's a nurse in the family that has been consulted. There are all kinds of factors that no one except the family knows about and maybe she was too frazzled by being confronted by a neighbor to convey all that info.

You and d/h did the right thing.

I agree with PP that this is very concerning. If my child had an accident resulting in burns like you describe I would certainly not be at all surprised (or annoyed) that anybody would ask about it. If I could not get medical help immediately, I don't imagine I would let her out playing increasing the risk of infection.

It is just odd. Odd story. Odd reaction.

I pray that little gets help and relief from the pain. Burns are horrific.

if she has a serious chemical burn that is NOT receiving medical treatment - why won't you call CPS? why doens't the mom want her daughter who is in pain and likley to be scarred, to see a dr? could it be it's NOT as innocent as claimed? I wouldn't trust the daughter claiming it to be innocent as she could well be afraid of someone.

eta: the defensivness of the mom triggers concern this was not an accident. if it had been accidental, I think she'd have been more acquiescent to taking her to be seen by a dr after your dh's visit expressing concern.

Edited by gardenmom5

People aren't as trusting as they used to be. Just today I was trying to help a woman pull two shopping carts apart. She immediately thought I was trying to steal the cart she wanted. Perhaps your neighbor will think about it further and realize her interpretation of your intentions was wrong.

:)

I think y'all did fine to start with. However, as a mandated reporter, I would give them one more chance since y'all have been friendly then report. The child deserves proper medical care and relief.

I really am not particularly quick to call CPS. I have done so on a couple occasions and I'm positive the majority of the people in the world would have done the same, probably sooner. And as someone whose children are now being victim of someone using CPS due to prejudice and personal dislike, I'm even less likely to call unless sure.

But this kid is in pain and from the description is NOT getting acceptable help. I would offer ways they could get the care cheap/free. I would offer to drive if they need that. I would listen to their concerns. Whatever. But in the end, if it takes CPS to insist, then it does.

I think y'all did fine to start with. However, as a mandated reporter, I would give them one more chance since y'all have been friendly then report. The child deserves proper medical care and relief.

I really am not particularly quick to call CPS. I have done so on a couple occasions and I'm positive the majority of the people in the world would have done the same, probably sooner. And as someone whose children are now being victim of someone using CPS due to prejudice and personal dislike, I'm even less likely to call unless sure.

But this kid is in pain and from the description is NOT getting acceptable help. I would offer ways they could get the care cheap/free. I would offer to drive if they need that. I would listen to their concerns. Whatever. But in the end, if it takes CPS to insist, then it does.

I've been thinking about this all evening. :( I totally agree.

If a burn that bad doesn't get medical attention the child could die. I'd go to the parents and insist, offering any practical help I could give in getting her to a doctor, but if they still refuse I'd call CPS.

A burn that size, of the severity you describe, NEEDS medical care. At the least it needs better care than that which you describe!! Your neighbor does NOT know what she is doing.

Does lighter fluid even cause blistering, skin peeling burns on contact?

Thanks for the support. I was feeling pretty cruddy about the whole situation (still do).

I'm having the girls make get well cards for Friend to deliver tomorrow. I really like that idea :)

Some more info:

The mom told me that she has a family member who has dealt with serious burns in the past and is taking that person's advice regarding treatment. This family member told her that they wouldn't do anything different for her at the hospital than they were doing at home (apply some kind of over the counter medicine and keeping it loosely covered in a bandage (cloth). Is silverdene OTC?

It's hard to imagine not immediately driving her to the ER (I know I would have in an instant, if it were one of my kids) but I don't believe this is a case of criminal neglect. I believe she loves her children deeply and would NEVER intentionally harm them. I think her choice to not seek immediate medical attention for her daughter is a mistake, not a malicious or lazy choice.

I told DH about Kid-Friend's burns, because I was feeling upset by the graphic appearance, the size of the affected area and just feeling bad for the kid. He's the one who educated me about burns, treatments, risks, the whole deal. So, I figured it I didn't know (and I'm a bright person and engaged mother), maybe Neighbor Mom didn't know either. That was the main point in asking DH to speak to her. I wanted to make sure she knew how serious it was.

This has gotten rambly. I'll stop now. Thanks for the supportive words. Please give the mom the benefit of the doubt. I've made so many dumb mistakes in my short (8 yr) parenting career, I'm hesitant to throw her under the bus.

I don't think anybody was bashing the mother. :grouphug:

We're just so scared for the little girl. It won't make much difference to her health whether her mother is neglecting proper treatment out of meanness or ignorance; the point is she needs to go the hospital.

They do more than ointment and bandages for burns.

If your friend doesn't know your dh well, maybe that's the source of the issue. I can see how having someone bring their dh to speak to me instead of just speaking up as a friend would come off as ten times more threatening and uncomfortable than just a friend doing it.

Agreed with others that it's all very worrying, but I also can see how it's hardly condemning evidence of her parenting.

What is their insurance like? Is that why she feels they have to rely on the medical advice of a friend instead of going right to the doctor?

:iagree:with the bolded. You can call anonymously.

I don't think anybody was bashing the mother. :grouphug:

We're just so scared for the little girl. It won't make much difference to her health whether her mother is neglecting proper treatment out of meanness or ignorance; the point is she needs to go the hospital.

They do more than ointment and bandages for burns.

If your friend doesn't know your dh well, maybe that's the source of the issue. I can see how having someone bring their dh to speak to me instead of just speaking up as a friend would come off as ten times more threatening and uncomfortable than just a friend doing it.

Agreed with others that it's all very worrying, but I also can see how it's hardly condemning evidence of her parenting.

What is their insurance like? Is that why she feels they have to rely on the medical advice of a friend instead of going right to the doctor?

Good point about DH. She knows who he is but doesn't know him very well. I had him go speak to her because he knows way more about chemical burns than I do.

I have no idea what (if any) insurance they have. However, we live in a low-income area so the ER staff treats everyone and they can sign up for medical assistance on the spot. Hope this family knows that.

I'm so very sad about this whole thing, I can't really express it. Need to focus on making cards and cookies (such a great idea!!) and trusting that the mom will do the right thing now that she has more information.

if she has a serious chemical burn that is NOT receiving medical treatment - why won't you call CPS? why doens't the mom want her daughter who is in pain and likley to be scarred, to see a dr? could it be it's NOT as innocent as claimed? I wouldn't trust the daughter claiming it to be innocent as she could well be afraid of someone.

eta: the defensivness of the mom triggers concern this was not an accident. if it had been accidental, I think she'd have been more acquiescent to taking her to be seen by a dr after your dh's visit expressing concern.

Frankly your dh needs to report this.

Y'all did the right thing. If the poor little girl doesn't get help soon, then I think it does need to be reported.

:iagree: Your description of what the little girl said, how the mother reacted, and, above all, the burn itself all make me think that a call to CPS would be in order. I've never called myself, but in your situation, I would call immediately. After all, it's not the mandated reporter's to determine if there's something wrong; they're just supposed to call if they have a reasonable suspicion of harm to a child (specific language varies in different states). After that, it's the job of CPS to determine if neglect and/or abuse is occurring.

I realize that it may be hard to call because she'll have a good idea who called. You already think the relationship will never be the same, though, and I would just be worried sick about that little girl now. (In fact, I am worried sick, and I didn't even see her burns.)

By the way, I think lighter fluid can cause burns without being lit, but when I googled it, it sounds like it takes a rather prolonged exposure to do so, and even then the burns sound more superficial than that girl's. I really wonder what actually happened, and why on earth a child in a non-abusive/neglect situation would have untreated burns that size. How could a child who is not abused or neglect have large, bad burns from lighter fluid? How could a child have such a prolonged exposure to unlit lighter fluid? That question alone makes me really worried.

:iagree: Your description of what the little girl said, how the mother reacted, and, above all, the burn itself all make me think that a call to CPS would be in order. I've never called myself, but in your situation, I would call immediately. After all, it's not the mandated reporter's to determine if there's something wrong; they're just supposed to call if they have a reasonable suspicion of harm to a child (specific language varies in different states). After that, it's the job of CPS to determine if neglect and/or abuse is occurring.

I realize that it may be hard to call because she'll have a good idea who called. You already think the relationship will never be the same, though, and I would just be worried sick about that little girl now. (In fact, I am worried sick, and I didn't even see her burns.)

By the way, I think lighter fluid can cause burns without being lit, but when I googled it, it sounds like it takes a rather prolonged exposure to do so, and even then the burns sound more superficial than that girl's. I really wonder what actually happened, and why on earth a child in a non-abusive/neglect situation would have untreated burns that size. How could a child who is not abused or neglect have large, bad burns from lighter fluid? How could a child have such a prolonged exposure to unlit lighter fluid? That question alone makes me really worried.

That's the part the concerns me. I can see some bizarre accident where lighter fluid is spilled on the child. But If it was my child I would have had them nekkid and in a shower getting it all off immediately while on hold with poison control and then speeding to the hospital if any irritation/burn showed up.

If would not burn by itself like that unless excessively long exposure and/or it was lit. Combined with the mother's reaction to your dh and to the lack of any medical attention (even if the hospital only put creme on it and bandaged it I would still want it checked for signs of infection etc) would make me call CPS without hesitation. ANd unlike my recent posts sound I do not take calling them lightly. But this little girl is suffering needlessly for reasons that don't make sense to me. If they determine no neglect/abuse is present great,at the very least they will force the family to have the girl seen by the dr. That is an outcome I could live with.

I had to double check to be sure and I don't know the age of Friend, but, according to the Modified Lund and Browder chart for calculating burn percentages in peds, Friend could have between a 8.5% & 9.5% total body surface burn depending on Friend's age (& I didn't figure in the hand/arm burn). The modified Lund & Browder chart is most often used in peds. The modified Rule of Nines is also used in kids. Based on that and excluding the hand/arm burn Friend could have an approx 9% burn. If the second burn is on Friend's hand this is considered more serious because Friend could lose function (especially if the burn is on the palm).

The point of this is to say that regardless of what the other family member has said about the treatment regimen Friend's mom is following these burns could be much more serious than they appear. Infection can set in *so* easily with burns, to say nothing of the pain this child is in. It didn't sound like this family member has even seen the burns. I hope this child gets the care s/he needs.

...After all, it's not the mandated reporter's to determine if there's something wrong; they're just supposed to call if they have a reasonable suspicion of harm to a child (specific language varies in different states). After that, it's the job of CPS to determine if neglect and/or abuse is occurring.

I Googled lighter fluid too, and came up with mixed results. There are several different chemicals that are called "lighter fluid", some of which seem to only cause a rash, but there were also anecdotal stories of burns. I even looked at a few Material Safety Data Sheets, but mostly they were about ingesting the stuff, without much info on contact burns besides the rash info. Of course you'd have to know the exact product for a MSDS to be of help. So far, it doesn't add up for me.

Did the mom tell you how they treated it? Did they flush it with water to remove the chemical? Did the mom explain why she was reluctant to get it looked at by a professional?

My understanding of mandated reporting (in NY) is that the reporter is supposed to report things that don't add up, and it's not their job to determine whether there is neglect/abuse before reporting.

I am concerned for the girl, and I am concerned for your hubby's legal obligations. No advice, just :grouphug:. It's a tough situation to be in.

Edited by askPauline

I personally think a call to CPS is way over the top.

I don't see anything abnormal about a mom being defensive after a neighbor's husband comes to her house asking about her child's injury and whether the child received medical treatment. I can see how it could be construed as someone questioning your parenting.

I can see myself being a bit miffed if someone I didn't know very well came over and questioned me about how we are treating an injury. I probably would initially respond by letting the person know we had it all under control, thanks for your concern. More inquiries followed by an attempt to educate me about it would be irritating.

The burn is probably a pretty bad case of contact dermatitis, which can look just like a burn.

Lighter fluid's main ingredient is naphtha.

Topical exposure to naphtha can cause a burning sensation on the skin within a period of minutes to an hour, followed by contact dermatitis—a rash—that can last for days to weeks.

[edit]

It is plausible that this little girl fell in or some how got lighter fluid on her and didn't think much of it. After a while it started to burn and that is when the parents/child realized it was a problem.

I don't see anything fishy or even remotely CPS worthy.

:crying::crying::crying::crying: Poor little girl! Burns are sooo painful. How are they managing her pain? When I was 12, I burned both of my hands badly. I picked up a casserole dish when it had just been removed from the oven. My skin stuck to the dish. I don't know what I was thinking. But the cream they used in the ER helped a lot plus they gave me injected pain meds. I just can't imagine what it must be like to not have that level of care.

Could the mom be scared of some sort of repercussion? Maybe she thinks the docs won't believe her or that cps would be called regardless.

I have lifted this girl and her mom up in prayer. I hope for fast healing!

She "fell on lighter fluid"? :glare: That doesn't sound quite right to me.

It is plausible that this little girl fell in or some how got lighter fluid on her and didn't think much of it. After a while it started to burn and that is when the parents/child realized it was a problem.

Lighter fluid is usually in a can, with a fairly small opening. She had burns on her thigh and hand. She would have to fall in such a way that her thigh and her hand were what touched the fluid. I'm willing to believe it could happen that way, but I'm having a hard time picturing it based on the information the OP provided.

Guest submarines
I personally think a call to CPS is way over the top.

I don't see anything abnormal about a mom being defensive after a neighbor's husband comes to her house asking about her child's injury and whether the child received medical treatment. I can see how it could be construed as someone questioning your parenting.

I can see myself being a bit miffed if someone I didn't know very well came over and questioned me about how we are treating an injury. I probably would initially respond by letting the person know we had it all under control, thanks for your concern. More inquiries followed by an attempt to educate me about it would be irritating.

The burn is probably a pretty bad case of contact dermatitis, which can look just like a burn.

Lighter fluid's main ingredient is naphtha.

I don't see anything fishy or even remotely CPS worthy.

I can't imagine a child with a serious burn of that size in that location being able to move around and play outside.