Menu

What do your kiddos wear

What do your kiddos wear in school?  

1. 1. What do your kiddos wear in school?

• Uniforms
    • Regular Clothes
    • Pajamas

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One boy: shorts

if it's chilly: shorts and shirt

if it's really cold: track pants and shirt

if it's really, really cold: track pants and sweatshirt

Socks are on only if coerced, shoes are never worn in the house*.

*my family doesn't wear shoes in the house. If you come to visit and would like to wear your shoes, I'm okay with that. We are shoe-belief tolerant. Just wanted to get that out of the way in case there are *issues*. :tongue_smilie:

It depends on the weather. If it's nice, it might be a sundress or t-shirt and shorts. If it's cold, often it's footie PJs with sweatpants over top {our house is drafty and doesn't heat well}.

For any trips during school hours, we ALWAYS wear our school "uniform" - a plaid jumper or skort with either a uniform blouse or a polo. We avoid navy / khaki as the local public schools mostly have a uniform code and those are their colors.

We're also a no shoes on in the house family :D

I instituted a uniform policy this year. I think it has really helped them concentrate better and have more of a "school" attitude than a "home" attitude.

Heh...I am anti-uniform and when we looked at school possibilities I pretty much discarded schools if they required uniforms. Regular clothes or pjs here!

Same here. I went to a school that had uniforms (they did do away with them once I got to high school, but still) so I am pretty anti-uniform.

Dawn

Heh...I am anti-uniform and when we looked at school possibilities I pretty much discarded schools if they required uniforms. Regular clothes or pjs here!

Play clothes here, knit pants and shirts in winter and knit shorts and tops in summer. I am not fond of uniforms either and my clothing budget consists of whatever we happen to get hand-me-down filled in w/ Goodwill and yardsales. We take breaks to play and I wouldn't want them in clothes that I would be afraid to get dirty. I don't wear clothes I'm afraid will get dirty around the house either. Although I try to look decently. I try to find my clothes super cheap to rotate out if they look too ratty or just deal with it though.

*my family doesn't wear shoes in the house. If you come to visit and would like to wear your shoes, I'm okay with that. We are shoe-belief tolerant. Just wanted to get that out of the way in case there are *issues*. :tongue_smilie:

:smilielol5:

We typically wear pajamas, but they often consist of regular clothes (shorts and a tee). I voted pajamas.

That's how we handle footwear, too. Most of us grab a pair of flipflops if we must put something on our feet.

I said regular clothing. My kids are expected to be dressed once their breakfast has been eaten. Some get dressed before that, and some do it after the last spoonful. The boys and my oldest dd are generally in shorts or capri length bottoms and a tee or tanktop. My little girls are usually in dresses and skirts, but they will tolerate shorts and tops if they're pretty enough.

We did the pj thing in our early years. Not getting dressed for the day drastically reduced productivity, theirs and mine. This did become part of our family's Not Going Back to School celebration though. For that day we wear pjs all day, and usually go to the library or park in them.

I really can't feature requiring uniforms with my bunch. It would be more hassle than it's worth.

We really don't have a clear differentiation between "school" and "not school" most days, so we wear whatever is appropriate for the day's schedule, whether it be an outing to the theater, a day hiking in the woods, time at home doing reading and writing, traveling, taking dance class, etc.

Yay, another homeschooler who does uniforms!

Uniforms mean that...

The kids are able to practice the art of mixing and matching while dressing themselves.

They are preparing to commit the,selves to their studies (this isn't play time).

They will easily transition to dressing appropriately for work, when they're older.

When we go to the library or on a field trip, I don't lose them in a crowd.

During outings, other people are less likely to think they are truents.

During outings, they convey via their appearance that education is highly valued and something we take seriously.

They get to choose the types of clothing they want to wear from a wide range of uniform options (it's not just plaid anymore!).

They like that they are somewhat coordinated like the kids in The Sound of Music and Harry Potter.

I think some of the anti-uniforms perspective might be mitigated by taking a look at modern uniforms: http://www.frenchtoast.com/

I instituted a uniform policy this year. I think it has really helped them concentrate better and have more of a "school" attitude than a "home" attitude.

Uniforms mean that...

The kids are able to practice the art of mixing and matching while dressing themselves.

They are preparing to commit the,selves to their studies (this isn't play time).

They will easily transition to dressing appropriately for work, when they're older.

When we go to the library or on a field trip, I don't lose them in a crowd.

During outings, they convey via their appearance that education is highly valued and something we take seriously.

They get to choose the types of clothing they want to wear from a wide range of uniform options (it's not just plaid anymore!).

They like that they are somewhat coordinated like the kids in The Sound of Music and Harry Potter.

I think some of the anti-uniforms perspective might be mitigated by taking a look at modern uniforms: http://www.frenchtoast.com/

This is an intriguing idea. My ds would never go for it. My youngest dd might not either, because she absolutely must wear her jeans (I find jeans around the house uncomfortable, but she loves jeans). I'd love to see pics of all your kids in their uniforms. I can't quite picture what they are like? Single colored polo shirts (or t-shirts) with pants or a skirt???

I can't seem to get serious about work if I'm not dressed. Pajamas just make me think I get to lounge around and do nothing. It also saves embarrassment when someone comes to the door early in the morning.:tongue_smilie:

I've never been to a school where uniforms were required. I always have visions of girls getting their skirts lifted, or a few really short skirts I've seen on uniforms.

I can't post images because my DH is super concerned about putting images of our kids online! We do slate gray as our primary color (it's kind of modern and reminiscent of Harry Potter), and they can accessorize with pops of color, kind of like this picture (quirky socks, scarves, hats, etc.): http://blog.al.com/bargain-mom/2010/07/french_toast_school_uniform_di.html

Also, we don't do suit jackets and ties for girls -- I just think that looks awful. The boys don't wear jackets either, and they only occasionally wear ties. It's usually more of a creative layering look.

Edited by Skadi

I voted regular clothes, because I usually send them up to get dressed before we start school, so we don't have to scramble around to get ready when we need to go somewhere. If we're not planning on going out that day, though, I'm fine with them staying in pajamas if they want. Their "pajamas" are mostly knit shorts and t-shirts anyway, most of the year, so they can play outside in them, too.

This is an intriguing idea. My ds would never go for it. My youngest dd might not either, because she absolutely must wear her jeans (I find jeans around the house uncomfortable, but she loves jeans). I'd love to see pics of all your kids in their uniforms. I can't quite picture what they are like? Single colored polo shirts (or t-shirts) with pants or a skirt???

Here is a pic of DD in her's lat year - it doesn't show the whole uniform but you can get an idea. This one was a sailor style blouse and a plaid jumper.

11770_596892840637_83600033_31662999_2126588723_n.jpg

Usually pajamas -- they usually get schoolwork done first, then get around to getting dressed.

They do have uniforms, though, for when we're out on field trips, especially if there's going to be a crowd, it's nice to be able to pick out my dc at a glance.

:smilielol5:

We typically wear pajamas, but they often consist of regular clothes (shorts and a tee). I voted pajamas.

Pretty much our story too. Flannel or fleece pj pants and T shirts, or shorts and T shirts. Occasionally regular clothes like jeans and a top, but like someone else said, we couldn't vote for both, so I voted pajamas.

Blessings,

Lucinda

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

My ds wears regular clothes. I once thought that uniforms would simplify things, but in reality, how hard is it to choose a pair of jeans and a shirt in the morning? I think the uniforms would do nothing more for us than add more laundry, because my ds would wear a uniform for school and then change into casual clothes after school.

Here is a pic of DD in her's lat year - it doesn't show the whole uniform but you can get an idea. This one was a sailor style blouse and a plaid jumper.

Frugalmama, your dd is absolutely beautiful! She looks adorable in the uniform -- it's very similar to the Catholic school uniforms I've seen girls wearing in our area.

I love it! Here where I am it's considered impolite to wear your shoes in the house. When I was in Tennessee visiting my husband's family they looked at me like I was from another planet when I took my shoes off. I love the whole 'shoe-belief' tolerant piece, had to read it to my hubby.

Frugalmama, your dd is absolutely beautiful! She looks adorable in the uniform -- it's very similar to the Catholic school uniforms I've seen girls wearing in our area.

Thanks :D The reason it looks like Catholic school uniforms is because it is one - I pick them up used at our local thrift shop for $1 an item. It's a little known fact that Parker uniform items, especially the woven ones, are nearly impossible to destroy. They scotchgard them so they are stain resistant! We have some that were mine during my short stint in private school 15 years ago that are still being worn by family members, and they look like new!

The idea of uniforms is intriguing to me. Our kids are expecting to be up at a good time, chores done, clean clothes on, hair done and teeth brushed before we start school. I think that it teaches them how to organize their mornings better and that's a skill they'll need eventually in life.

I grew up in a household where we got dressed whenever we felt like it and all of us kids have had a struggle when we hit the work force. Not because we had poor work ethics, as we all knew how to work hard, but because that getting ourselves pulled together was something we had never had to do.

My kids have always had 'play clothes' and 'good clothes', but I had never set aside 'school clothes'. I think it's something I might look into and think about now. I like the idea of it.

I don't have a problem with children having a "home" attitude vs a "school" attitude. It's the same thing to me. :) I require clothes because I think it's a good habit to be in, wearing clothes instead of jammies all day. Of course, a jammie day is good for the soul. :D But in our house, we get up and get dressed such that if we had to leave the house unexpectedly, all we'd need to do is put on shoes.

:lol: :lol: I love it!

My kids wear normal clothes. Well, actually, no, they don't. They don't wear pajamas during the day, and they don't wear uniforms, but I guess they don't really wear normal clothes a lot of the time. Mine prefer costumes, particularly my daughter. It is way more fun to do your chores and schoolwork in a ballgown or a knight's costume. Or some other random costume they've put together. They are particularly adept at fashioning Jedi costumes out of stuff they've collected from around the house. And my 3yo likes wearing multiple prints, including shirts and pants in different camo prints, and some combination of his favorite soccer-ball-print sweatshirt, pants with a billion pockets, and the same Lightning McQueen long-sleeved tee.

I'm actually chuckling because my 10yo DD would *like* a uniform. She wants a plaid skirt in the worst way. Not because she likes the uniform aspect, but because one of her favorite heroines is Susan Pevensie, and a plaid skirt would be very Susanish, she says. (That is, when she's not being someone from medieval times, or a colonial girl, or a Star Wars character. I don't think we encourage imagination enough in our house.)

Shoes? My kids don't wear shoes in the house. Most of the time, they'd prefer to be barefoot in the yard too (which kind of defeats the purpose of a no-shoe household, because they track in dirt anyway). I wear shoes in the house, but I don't go outside very often.

Edited by happypamama

I have 1 that would do school nekkid, 1 in nothing but underpants, 1 in dirty clothes and 1 in a housecoat if allowed. So I have had to make the rule that they must wear decent clothes, no uniforms though. This is my home not an institution.

I voted regular clothes but I do have one that has recently taken to staying in his pajamas until around lunch time. I have never thought about uniforms. My attitude is that you must be ready to start school at the designated time (8:30 for two, 9:00 for the other) but what you're wearing and whether or not you've showered is up to you.

No shoes in our house either.

Ok I was fine until this :glare:

What on EARTH does wearing a "uniform" have to do with taking school seriously?! Do you know how many schools do NOT have a uniform policy? I just cannot imagine my outings having to do anything with giving a rat's bee-hind about whether or not people think *I* take school seriously. Maybe I should start carrying my college degree around to flash at people while wearing my tank top and flip flops. There is a difference between taking your kids out covered in jam and a t-shirt and underwear vs a decent set of clothes and shoes, weather appropriate.

As for what WE wear, I try to wear clothes that are athletic but nice looking. Fitness is a big focus of mine. I really like to be able to hop on my bike or go for a walk should the kids or I strike a fancy. DS sleeps in a white t-shirt and basketball type shorts from Gap. He's a creature of habit. He showers every night. In the morning he will just pop on a shirt. If we go out, sometimes a polo shirt and he will put on khaki shorts, but on his own account. For certain lessons I ask him to please wear his "out to dinner attire."

As for DD, well, she changes her clothes depending on what song she is singing or what she saw in a book or what she is day dreaming about or what her friends talked about wearing or whatever other reason she changes about a million times a day. However, she treats her clothes well and hangs them back up.

I have ZERO interest in dictating what my kids wear.

ETA: just to be clear I think it could be a good idea to have some sort of logo shirt or same colored top to define one's family in a crowd situation. That's different.

One boy: shorts

if it's chilly: shorts and shirt

if it's really cold: track pants and shirt

if it's really, really cold: track pants and sweatshirt

Same here.

One boy in shorts. (Though he does always wear a shirt as he has sensory issues.)

Never socks unless forced to.

I don't like uniforms.

That said, if we are going out somewhere during school hours and I am worried about being quizzed or given the raised eyebrow treatment, I will go ahead and have DS wear a polo shirt and khaki shorts, as most people tend to view that as a school uniform and we don't get as many questions or strange looks.

My kids wear regular clothes. We're out and about all the time, and they just wear regular clothes then too.

For the past 11 years of homeschooling, our morning routine has been showering, getting dressed then eating breakfast. I don't think we could do school in pajamas if we tried. Even on weekend mornings, we get up and get dressed.

One year, when my girls were little, they wanted to wear uniforms like some friends. So I bought a few uniform things, they wore uniforms for a couple of weeks until it got old, and that was the end of that.

Everyone wears clothes, except on days their sister stays home from school on holiday then they all try to stay in pjs.

You can save even more time with clothes if you try to institute the my ds's favorite style. Wear the same outfit the whole week until mom catches you and makes you change.

My teenagery kids have always loved to wear fuzzy pj /sweatshirty fabric in the fall and winter when it's C O L D outside during the day. I've been known to stay in fuzzy Pj's if I'm not going anywhere! During the warmer months it's T-shirts and shorts or jeans. They like to feel relaxed and comfortable doing school - my son (who is now in college) loves to study on the living room couch and spread his books out. My daughter likes to be in her room, with school work spread out on her bed.

I don't care what they wear, as long as they are learning! :D

We really don't have a clear differentiation between "school" and "not school" most days, so we wear whatever is appropriate for the day's schedule, whether it be an outing to the theater, a day hiking in the woods, time at home doing reading and writing, traveling, taking dance class, etc.

:iagree:We dress for what the day holds.

Ok I was fine until this :glare:

What on EARTH does wearing a "uniform" have to do with taking school seriously?! Do you know how many schools do NOT have a uniform policy? I just cannot imagine my outings having to do anything with giving a rat's bee-hind about whether or not people think *I* take school seriously.

I have ZERO interest in dictating what my kids wear.

:iagree:Especially the bolded.

Sometimes regular clothes. Sometimes jammas. Sometimes princess dresses. Sometimes superhero costumes. In the summer, sometimes bathing suits. Sometimes underwear/diaper. In the midwest in August, when it is 100 degrees with 100% humidity and no air conditioning, yeah, I let them run around in their undies. And sometimes I wish that I could get away with it too! :lol:

My older son is in pj bottoms and a tee for most of the day until we have to go somewhere. In warmer weather he is in shorts and a tee. My youngest son is in his boxers almost all day. I sometimes insist he put on a shirt if I get tired of him just running around in boxers. When we leave the house he gets dressed, but sometimes I have to remind him. He is that kind of kid. :lol: