Menu

Considering public school - really bummed.

We just found out we're expecting twins. We have a 5 year old, a 3 year old and a 12 month old. The twins will be due in November. We're in the middle of our 5 year old's K year and my husband said that he think that public school is going to have to be an option just to keep our heads above water with this incredibly chaotic year ahead of us.

I agree that it's going to be chaotic and that public school would be nice, but I can't let go of my feeling that I am her best and most invested teacher, and that there will be so much to undo on a daily basis. I am heartbroken at the thought, but really don't know how I'd manage it all.

Any advice? I was homeschooled through 12th grade and homeschooling is what I envision for our family. Letting go of that, even for a couple of years, is a devastating thought for me.

You can do it!! Your kids are so young yet! Try to find a simple curriculum that you can accomplish each day, without overloading yourself. Your oldest will only be 6 when the babies are born, and the first few months, infants sleep a lot anyways. I think you just have to come up with a good schedule and stick to it. You can get a lot of school done in 2 1/2 hrs a day! ;)

I have taught 1st grade before, and because of all the diverse needs of all the children, some days I wondered what in the world they learned that day!

Your kiddos will be fine!

And congrats on the twins! What a blessing :grouphug:

First, are you in a state that requires reporting? Other restrictions?

Second, one of the advantages to homeschooling is you can work around family events (to the best of your ability). You can school over the summer, and take a long break off when the twins are born. The really "important" subjects can be covered and you can leave off the "extras" until a better time. Find a simple curriculum-- one that lays out lesson's plans for each day so it will require less planning on your part. Remember, you only need to "schedule" about 2 hours or so of school a day for first grade. I am sure you can do it!!

Whatever you decide, I would not decide now. It seems like you need time to digest the news, and then when your twins are born, adjust to the new family. I know that you can make it work, but I can imagine it seems very daunting now. It will take time.

Congratulations on your news! What an amazing blessing!!

Another option you might have could be to homeschool her through the summer while you're in the middle of your pregnancy and then take your "summer" break when the babies come. That would give you a few months to get readjusted and then just pick up a little school at a time. If that won't work and you have to send her to public school it will still be ok just be try to be involved with what she's learning. :grouphug: You'll do great!

I have always worried that adding in someone else's schedule into my own was going to make things more difficult not less!

I can tell you we took first grade very light and concentrated on reading and math. I read aloud a lot. Other than that we played :-)

Congratulations on your news!!!

I agree with LindsayLamb and A. Balaban -- you can do this! :001_smile:

And I don't even think you need to schedule 2 or more hours of schoolwork for a first grader if you're feeling overwhelmed. In a pinch, you can just do a bit of reading/phonics, handwriting, and math, and call it a day. You can also do fun read-alouds that all of your kids will enjoy. (You might even have your oldest child read to the little ones.)

But for now, don't stress over it. You've got enough on your mind right now, and none of your kids will suffer from a lack of formal education at this point in their lives. Do what you can, make it fun, and try to relax. Many of us worried like crazy about the very early years, and stayed up late at night buying all kinds of curriculum and making all sorts of plans... only to find out later that we were going way overboard with the whole thing, and wishing we had it all to do over again so we could have realized that kids honestly and truly don't need to learn every last thing they will ever need to know, by the time they are 6 years old. ;)

Congratulations on your twins -- and really, don't worry at all about the homeschooling! You and your kids are going to be just fine!

Edited by Catwoman

I have always worried that adding in someone else's schedule into my own was going to make things more difficult not less!

I can tell you we took first grade very light and concentrated on reading and math. I read aloud a lot. Other than that we played :-)

:iagree: Adding a school schedule to your life is likely to be much more stressful than a minimal first grade homeschool. Adjusting your scheduled to take a long planned break is a good idea. Someone else mentioned 2.5 hours of school a day, but I sincerely doubt that is realistic with newborn twins. I would target more like 15-30 minutes of consistent daily work in math and reading with the entire remaining 1st grade plan being informal, talking about things as they come up, and reading as much as possible.

If your local school uses sight words (and most of them do), it could take longer to undo the effects of the sight words than to teach phonics at home.

I have tutored remedial reading with phonics since 1994, and it takes at least twice as long, sometimes longer, to undo sight word guessing habits that to instill correct phonics habits.

So, you could end up spending more time teaching in the long run depending on what they are teaching and the degree of whole word methods they are using. (Things like the Accelerated Reader program, guided reading, cloze word passages, sight words, etc.)

When I began homeschooling my kids, they were 7, 4, and my twins were 10 months old. My biggest advice on the twin side of things is getting them on a sleeping and eating schedule early on. I was able to do a lot of school with the big girls while the twins would nap.

I will also say that there are several advantages to homeschooling while the twins are little. If you are having to take your daughter to school and pick her up, that means you are loading and unloading both babies at least twice a day. Packing up two babies is much more work than packing up one! When mine were little we stayed in our pajamas most days because it was just easier. It also makes it easier to make arrangements for your older children while you are in the hospital after having the twins. I was in the hospital for a week before I had mine, and my oldest had to just miss that week of public school. (It was the week before Christmas break.) The biggest advantage of having them home, especially the time of year you are due, is that you will avoid all the sick germs that kids bring home from school. My twins were preemie so we had to be careful and I literally kept a bottle of hand sanitizer in the car to put on the big girls the second they stepped in the car. Since I started homeschooling the kids get sick much, much less.

Anyway, those are just a few of my opinions. I'm sure you will get many! You know what is best for you and your kids. Just follow your heart. Good luck with your pregnancy!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Congratulations times two!

I had triplets when our oldest was in kindergarten. We did almost zero formal curriculum until she was in second grade and we home schooled her all the way through 6th grade. She is in 7th grade at the local public school this year and has done very well. I had taught first grade in public school for years before she was born, so I had a pretty good idea of where she should be, so I didn't worry too much ~ I was too tired!

I also think it would be overwhelming to keep up with a public school schedule with all your littles.

The very best to you ~ multiples are fun!

Julie

First of all, congratulations! I would imagine you must feel very overwhelmed at times at the thought of so many very young children all at once, but they really are treasures, aren't they?

I would echo the replies you've already had--if it really is in your heart to homeschool, then I think it might be worth a go. I have never been in your shoes, but I have a friend who has. She had very difficult pregnancies and little ones, and she admits that when her two oldest were in early elementary grades, there was a year when they basically didn't "do" school. Both girls are now in high school, and one is a very talented artist who is applying to prestigious art schools, and the other just scored a near-perfect PSAT.

Will you have any help when the new babies are born? Could your husband help with school in the mornings or evenings? Can you squeeze in an hour or two on the weekend? What is required of you, legally, by your state? What are your expectations for yourself and your child? These are all things I would consider before I made a decision.

And last but not least, I'm sure public school would not be the end of the world! In fact, if your oldest were to learn to read and write at a public school, it might make homeschooling less intimidating for you in the future, since she might be able to do a little more work independently.

A big hug through the computer, and I wish you a healthy and comfortable pregnancy!

I had a 7yo and a 4yo when my twins were born. We just used Calvert 1st and then 2nd grade (all in a box), and it usually took about 1 1/2 hours a day. Low stress, and lots easier than trying to get everybody here and there. If you concentrate on reading and math, then just do reading aloud when you can, you will be fine. Getting the basics down is the most important thing the first few years, anyway, and that doesn't have to take a whole lot of time. Get a cabinet to hold art and craft supplies as well, and let her at it!

It was harder when the twins were 2yo, and I was homeschooling the two older ones. But all went much easier when I cuddled them and read to them before we started schoolwork with the olders.

It is doable, and much easier than trying to fit your family to an outside school schedule.

I will also say that there are several advantages to homeschooling while the twins are little. If you are having to take your daughter to school and pick her up, that means you are loading and unloading both babies at least twice a day. Packing up two babies is much more work than packing up one! When mine were little we stayed in our pajamas most days because it was just easier. It also makes it easier to make arrangements for your older children while you are in the hospital after having the twins. I was in the hospital for a week before I had mine, and my oldest had to just miss that week of public school. (It was the week before Christmas break.) The biggest advantage of having them home, especially the time of year you are due, is that you will avoid all the sick germs that kids bring home from school.
:iagree: Especially the bolded part! I was very thankful to be homeschooling when my twins were born because I didn't have to leave the house. The babies slept most of the day on the couch while I worked with the other dc. Since I was gone for a month after the babies were born it was also easier to have the dc home rather than at public school as no one had to worry about dropping them off/picking them up.

The nice thing for you is that with your oldest only being in 1st grade your schooling is still super light and short (hopefully :)). In other words it takes less time than if you were teaching upper grade levels. If anything this coming year could be surprisingly relaxing and special for you and your dc if you can be flexible with schooling.

Oh, and your oldest can be a HUGE help! I quickly found it was not the same as having only one baby if I found I needed something from across the room yet had a naked baby waiting for a diaper change! That's when little ones eager to help mama come in handy.

I'd still do it - you can do reading while tandem nursing, for example. Move hands-on messy (and fun) projects like once a week science or art to evenings/weekends when Dad is home (he can help and take over a subject or two, too).

A local teen homeschooler makes a great daytime Mom's Helper for a few hours a couple times a week, btw. When one of my twins needed a lot of therapy (autism) the BEST therapists (trained by a professional we paid to have come to our house) were the home-schooled teen girls. Ones with lots of younger siblings, too. You could use them to either help with the other kids while you do some school, or have them do some school (under your supervision). The teens have flexible schedules and can usually help a couple hours during the day without missing their own school time.

PS - try getting a kid ready and out to school, then picking them up later, with babies/toddlers in tow. Easier to home school!

Edited by JFSinIL
i type too fast and make too many errors

I agree with those who said homeschooling would be easier! I have a first grader now and we keep it super light and play alot and to be honest she seems more ahead of her 1st grade friends at church who are in public school.

You can do it!

If school provided a Well-Trained Mind sort of education, then I'd agree that school would probably be your child's best bet. But they don't. Most subjects are covered *very* little (and some not at all) while the focus is on the 3Rs (and I'm not so sure they do such a great job there considering I'm super impressed with the teachers in our extremely good school district, but the standards are still SO incredibly low). I really think that even if you had to do the bare minimum with an open and go curriculum, you'd still do fine, even great, academically. All this takes is a bit of commitment which you need to homeschool anyway.

Now, if you *really* don't think you'd do it? Maybe it isn't so bad. There will likely be some "undoing" regularly, but it doesn't necessarily have to be as bad as you think. I have four in public school right now (they are foster kids, three of them not for much longer). There have been a few things, but it really hasn't been bad except for the youngest of the group (just turned 4 and simply had no business being there).

Anyway, so I just want to say that I think you can do as well or better than school academically if you decide to. And I don't think public school is usually all that bad if you decide you need to.

A local teen homeschooler makes a great daytime Mom's Helper for a few hours a couple times a week, btw. When one of my twins needed a lot of therapy (autism) the BEST therapists (trained by a profession we paid to have come to our house) where the home-schooled teen girls. Ones with lots of younger siblings, too. You could use them to either help with the other kids while you do some school, or have them do some school (under your supervision). The teens have flexible schedules and can usually help a couple horus during the day without missing their own school time.

:iagree:with the bolded part.....I utilized local homeschool teens several times when mine were little. They love babies, and they usually love playing with and teaching young children.

One of those teens is about to have her 2nd baby and she still tells me how much helping with my kids shaped her mothering skills.

It's rough when so much depends on the personalities of two people you can't really find out about until they arrive.

What would be involved in getting your daughter to and from public school? (Would the bus pick her up outside your door, could she walk to school with older neighbor kids, or would you need to load everyone up and drive her?)

What are the personalities of your existing kids? Do they get along well? Are they happy to be at home with just the family? Or do they crave friends and outside activities?

Is your husband the sort who will be home to help in the evenings and on weekends? Or does he work long hours and isn't great with young kids?

What sorts of things do you expect to have to "undo" when a first grader gets home from school? Granted, I have four in school, so I'm not a Public School Is Evil person, but other than getting in phonics instruction at home before they start K, there is not much I have to correct in the early years. (I have to do a bit of math later on, but not in first.)

So, you will have to pack up 4 littles to get the oldest to the bus stop or drive to school twice a day. I do not see this as making things easier.

I'd plan a program that focused on reading and math. Those are the main things to get through in first grade. Plan some read alouds for history. You can also get history and literature on audio.

If you really are worried about covering it all after the babies arrive, you can do reading lessons through the summer. Throw in some fun education fieldtrips in the summer. Then plan a long break from the birth through New Years.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Kindergarten (the sit down and learn part) takes me all of an hour with ds this year. When he was in PS I had to get up at least an hour earlier, get him ready, go wait for the bus that is never, ever on time, attend all the school things that just made me really grumpy because I *knew* I could do better than what he was getting, go home, wait for the bus, again, do homework, fight with an exhausted 5 yo, and get hime ready for bed. Start packing lunches for the next day - and fall to bed crying.

Check out the Five in a Row books - they are so much fun for young kids - you can do it directly out of the manual without any add ins and have a fun program to teach extra. LA, math and FIAR and you're set!

I also agree with schooling through the summer and taking a break when the babies get here. How exciting!!!!

I agree with everyone else.

I would school during the summer months and take off two months after the babies arrive. Start now teaching her to be a little independent. Can she use the computer for math games? Or does she know how to start the dvd player to watch an educational show? I would also get books on cd for the story time so that all of you can listen easily.

Congratulations!!

I had a 12 month old when my twins were born. Packing everyone up to get an older child to school and home from school every day would have been a nightmare! I don't know that we would have gotten much school work done, either, though. Infant twins and young toddlers, in combination, are um, challenging. You'll need a plan that is very flexible with reasonable expectations. Congratulations! Be ready for a wild ride!

IMO it would be much easier to homeschool than to prepare her for the bus each morning and keep up with the lists of what needs to be brought to class. Then there's the germs that will be coming home and possibly being caught by the four little ones. :tongue_smilie: K and 1st grade sit-down schooling can easily be done in an hour or two. The other things like reading, crafts, playing games, etc. are things you would do with them anyway and can be done as time permits during the day. I'd probably try to get a routine of a nap time for the little ones after lunch, and do the sit-down work with your oldest then. You can do it! If the nap doesn't work out, maybe your husband could watch the little ones after dinner and you could work with your oldest then.

For full disclosure - No BTDT and I have an only. :lol: But I do remember how little time was needed for schooling in the early years, and I do remember how annoying and time consuming regular school was too. :)

I gave birth to my now 14 month old twins when my other children were 9, 6, and 2. I honestly agree with the others and think that homeschooling will be much easier on you than trying to manage the public school drop off/pick up and schedule. First grade doesn't really require that much work. You only need to focus on reading, handwriting and math. It should only take you 1 - 2 hours per day. You can do this while you babies nap. I think your best plan is to school over the summer then take an extended break in the fall after the babies are born.

Congratulations on the twins! They are a wonderful blessing!

Robin

It's rough when so much depends on the personalities of two people you can't really find out about until they arrive.

What would be involved in getting your daughter to and from public school? (Would the bus pick her up outside your door, could she walk to school with older neighbor kids, or would you need to load everyone up and drive her?)

What are the personalities of your existing kids? Do they get along well? Are they happy to be at home with just the family? Or do they crave friends and outside activities?

Is your husband the sort who will be home to help in the evenings and on weekends? Or does he work long hours and isn't great with young kids?

What sorts of things do you expect to have to "undo" when a first grader gets home from school? Granted, I have four in school, so I'm not a Public School Is Evil person, but other than getting in phonics instruction at home before they start K, there is not much I have to correct in the early years. (I have to do a bit of math later on, but not in first.)

:iagree: I am going to put forth a few more considerations. Please know this comes from someone who recently allowed her kids to go back to ps only to pull them out a couple months later.

Do you know the school situation? What happens if dd is miserable?

What about the viruses and bacteria that will be coming home with dd? I had premie twins, and this would have been a huge issue with me! My dd recently contracted MRSA at her school. :glare:

How will dd feel? She is already going to adapt to two new siblings, will she see them as forcing her to go to school, when the others get to stay home?

What benefits are their to her being a helper? IS she going to learn things many kids never have a chance to learn?

One thing I would suggest is looking into a very gentle form of homeschooling. Pick up A Charlotte Mason Companion and possibly adjust towards a more CM rather than classical focus. (They are not mutually exclusive.)

Twins are fun! If you want to you can do this. I know it is hard to believe that sending a child to ps could be more work for you, but it is true. You will suddenly have to jump to someone else's tune, accommodate their schedule.

Enjoy them!

I agree. I don't have twins and the thought of trying to get everyone to school and be even a little involved in their school lives makes cringe. When I had two in school and two preschoolers and a toddler it was a nightmare trying to get everyone where they needed to go.

I probably don't get more than half an hour of K in with my son who turned 6 in January. We do Phonics and Rod and Staff preschool workbooks and Get Ready for the Code. That kid is all boy and makes me sympathize with K teachers EVERYWHERE!! LOL He does love to be read to though so we spend a couple of hours throughout the day reading. Especially when I had a baby.

I don't anticipate 1st grade being much easier with him. He still wants to do anything else but sit at the table and he always says he loves school! :tongue_smilie:

I really think you can do this. I love the idea of trying to get a lot of school done over the summer and taking your break when the twins come. It'll be around Thanksgiving and Christmas anyway. I always take our break then. We do a lot of rigorous school in summer because it's too stinkin' hot and crowded to go anywhere.

I'd focus on Phonics and Math and then if you have time add in the other stuff. You can still do lots of reading. I read all the time when Lily was a baby and a side benefit is that she loves to look at books and be read to. She'll sit in church and just run her hands all over the words in the Bible and say random letters. I don't think she has even torn a book up except for accidently turning a page too fast.

In first grade Phonics and Math could take 30m tops. If you feel like you need grammar just use First Language Lessons. Quick easy lessons that you can do anywhere. We use A Reason for Handwriting for handwriting and it is very simple and short.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for help and encouragement here! It's the best place ever for that!!

You've already received great advice. I just wanted to give a :grouphug: from a mom who had four kids in a 38-month span (including twins, but they're the oldest). I pretty much agree with everyone else. We got the starfall.com subscription version because I could do that one-handed while nursing (now the older ones can click through it), and no one was running around the house for that time.

Your family is unique, so watch for what is working best for you, and trust your instincts.

Edited by mudboots

Institutional school has a LOT of wasted time built in. I think you can do it, especially the age you are teaching. I think having twins and being on a school's schedule might be harder. Good luck with your decision, but I think you will be ok. :grouphug:

Keep in mind that a 6 year old might actually be a lot of help during the day! She can fetch diapers/wipes/spit up clothes, make funny faces at the babies to keep them happy while you go to the bathroom, etc. No way would I give up that help, let alone want to deal with having to pick her up while the twins were napping, etc. Nope.

And I feel 1 hour a day of formal school is plenty at first grade level. Heck, you could do that in the evening after your hubby gets home, if you had to. Just do read alouds, independent reading, art stuff, and watch Magic School Bus/Leapfrog Videos during the day.

I agree with posters who say "you can do it"! BUT...I also think the school option might not be horrible. What is your school district like? If it's a decent district, your child might have a wonderful experience and thrive. I was very hesitant to send my youngest to K this year and almost kept him home. Omigosh I am SO glad I sent him. I can't even believe how wonderful his teacher is and how proud and confident he's become about school. He loves it. They do "scientist of the month" where they do any little experiment they choose to do while the whole class watches, Community Circle where they talk about how the class is a community (and what that means as far as treating others) and how they can participate in the greater community, grow plants, yesterday he got to play the saxophone in music class, do cool art projects I don't have the patience to do, etc. And of course they do phonics and math with manipulative. Handwriting Without Tears.

I live in a district that is horrible (my younger kids are in a Catholic school), but a block away is an excellent district and I have friends and relatives there. I think it is probably better than our Catholic school (which is a "Blue Ribbon School"). One of my friends has a 6th grader and says she's loved all his teachers except one.

I think sometimes if you haven't had experience with school (either yourself or as a parent), and you hear all these horror stories - it is pretty scary. But, as with anything, the horror stories are more fun to tell and listen to and are what we tend to remember. People are less likely to tell or remember wonderful stories about their experience with anything. Our school teaches phonics and so does the public school district next to us. I'm not sure what a pp meant about Accelerated Reader causing problems with phonics. And I'm afraid this is too bad - someone mentions "Accelerated Reader" being a problem with phonics in schools...and people who don't know what it is assume it is bad. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it's not a program about phonics. It's for kids who are already reading fairly well (our school starts casually at 2nd grade level), to keep them reading and testing their comprehension. Most kids' books have a number to let you know their AR level (4.3 = 4th grade, 3rd month), and the kids are expected to choose books at their reading level and then take a short quiz (10 questions for the lower levels) to test comprehension. They get points for books read, so are motivated to read more. Kids in our school in grades 4 and up are required to get so many points per quarter. Anyway, this is a bit off-topic, but I want you to know that AR has nothing to do with phonics and isn't a teaching tool. It's more like a high-end summer library reading program than a phonics program! It's just meant to encourage and assess reading. Yes, there are some issues people have with the program, but I've never heard phonics being one of them.

I hope you are able to continue homeschool, but please don't despair if you have a decent school and your child needs to go there. It might be a wonderful experience. And if it isn't - you can bring him home. Also - what about 2 mornings/week preschool for the 3yo if you continue homeschooling (or if you don't!). We had a WONDERFUL preschool all of my kids loved and I miss it so much!

Add me to the camp of, "You can do this!" Between it being 1st grade, only one child, and the thought of having to marry a schedule with twins to getting a 1st grader out the door, etc. It won't really be easier. Mornings/evenings where I'm taking kids to day-camp (or just getting them ready to leave with their father) are pretty hectic. I still have the younger ones here with me, so it's not like I really get a break.

I know twins are their own special kind of chaos...but I think with some planning on the front end (freezer meals, some school over the summer, a light first-grade, audio books, or even 6 short days of school...) can make it pretty simple.

Of course you can do it. My second year of homeschooling ds was six and I had four babies under 18 months.

When things get busy you take care of babies first and then do school. IMNSHO anything else is wimping out.

May I just say...YOU ROCK! I thought hsing three kids with an infant was tough enough. You win!

So, you will have to pack up 4 littles to get the oldest to the bus stop or drive to school twice a day. I do not see this as making things easier. ...

:iagree:

Sending children to school isn't easy on a mom with newborns. Expect that naptimes will be disrupted, newborns will demand attention when trying to get the oldest off to school, older child will bring germs home from school, etc., etc.

I understand that homeschooling with twins won't be the way the op and her husband envisioned it, but if she does decide to homeschool, there be lots of learning going on at her home!

I found it took me at least as much personal time to have my dd in first grade as it did to homeschool her in second. Even though I only have two children it was difficult. Often my neighbor would come over and stay with my napping child while I picked her up. And gearing up at the end of the day is hard. Often they aren't outside enough during the day so we would spend an hour outside, homework, dinner, bath, bed. I felt I never saw her at her best. And the endless things they want you to do for the school adds up. Fundraising alone can make you cry. :grouphug:

Congratulations!

I don't have twins, but when we started school this year (2nd grade), my kids were 3 1/2, 18 months, and newborn. I planned to wait until October to start, but the baby slept well so it was fairly easy. We didn't do much "extra" stuff, but the basics only took about two hours, broken up in 2 or 3 blocks.

Science and geography, which both involved projects, often happened in the evening or on the weekend, when DH was home. We didn't do as much as I would have liked, but he wouldn't have done as much as we did in ps.

I think you will have to have your DH fully committed to homeschooling, though. We have really had to be a team to keep up with school, basic childcare, and housework. These had always been MY responsibilities, but with four, I couldn't do it all. We have really worked on training the kids to help, too.

I don't know if this has been mentioned (I just skimmed the replies), but what about your 3 year old when the oldest is in school? My 5 and 3 year old play together all day long. When the 5 year old is not home, the 3 year old demands a lot more of my attention. Just another thing to consider...

You can do this, it won't be easy but can be done.

180 Days in the average school years X 12 years of education for 1st through 12th = 2160 / 365 days in a year = 5.9 years to educate a child from beginning to end.

I will also assume you are in Texas, so you don't even have to start at all until the fall after he turns 6.

Take the time you need, it will all work out in the end. Your oldest will learn so very much if you can even fit in 15 minutes of one on one time a day. They won't stay little forever, unless of course you plan to have one every few years....... ;-) Even then you will have older children who can help out with the younger ones in no time.

Exactly! This will make your life harder, not easier. Imagine getting both babies and the younger kids ready every morning to get that child to first grade.

Your child would be fine if you did NOTHING all year, trust me. But you will. You will get some work in here and there.

There was a year I took care of my elderly Mom. My oldest was 7, so maybe 2nd grade level. We did little that year in terms of schooling, actually. She's now 15 and at the top of her class in high school, a straight A student. It worked out fine and I'm glad I did it and would do it again.

. I'm not sure what a pp meant about Accelerated Reader causing problems with phonics.

Most of the Accelerated Reader books are full of Dolch sight words. If the children are reading books with a lot of Dolch words that they have not yet learned to decode, that can cause guessing problems.

I'd suggest reading Teaching the Trivium by the Bluedorn's. Then, I'd put in things now that would help, and stay home. Seriously, I'd do a "Baby Moon x2" except for I'd let people help. :)

Do you have a big freezer? I'd start freezing up food and food saving them. (so they don't get freezer burn) Mom's helper is great!! Good things to look for: a great young lady who can "anticipate" what you need and what's going to happen. (Some people can look at a baby and realize they're going to run in the street... and some can't...) I was with a 13 year old who put a baby not sitting on the floor (sitting) and let go. Not the right girl to be a "Mom's helper".... I'd want someone from say.... 11-2 or whatever you can afford. It'd be great if you could find someone who would use it as a school credit. We had an incredible teen who did our preschool for 1.5 hrs for us and her mom incorporated curricula about caring for children in her Highschool curriculum. (maybe .5 or 1 credit) ... We also paid her a bit. Who knows what you can afford $$$ wise... but look around :)

I can tell you that even though I don't have a ton of kids, I have lived with big families. Let the kids stay home, sleep in, and not bring in extra germs.

Read the Bluedorns :) Relax.... Don't even start school... It's really ok. Now, what do I mean by "don't start school?" Train them gently to come when you call. Keep peaceful music on.... Sit on the floor... I'd put up a few barriers for your olders.... so that they can keep their small toys in say... a separate spot. (Like a large play yard that they can play legos in...)

You can have math manipulatives, stories on cds... Read to them... It doesn't take much to go through some phonograms orally with them.

Anyway, basically spend your energy setting up your "camp" :) Organize your house in such a way that things will be accessible. Get your mom's helper in place :) It might help to look at what is covered in school. It's not that hard.

(If your kids were say in Jr High or Highschool, and you couldn't really do school with them... and they weren't super motivated... my answer would be totally different :))

Get your sleep now... and Enjoy :)

:grouphug:

schlepping babies to and from school is not so fun.

schlepping two babies who you just woke up from their naps to schlep them to school is less fun.

schlepping two babies who are hungry and you just woke up from their naps is even less fun.

i was taking one to middle school and one to high school when our youngest two were born. i wouldn't do it that way again for anything.

we loved Five In a Row as a curriculum when the girls were young. and singapore earlybird math. i think that you might be able to school your eldest in only 1.5 hours a day, split up into 20 minute segments. i'd school during the summer so that you can take november and december off formal school, except for maybe math. you could gradually add things back in as it seems remotely possible to find a 15 minute segment.

they would crawl into bed with me in the morning and i would read to them the FIAR book we were working on. then, i'd teach the lesson right then (which i'd read at some point the day before OR which i just picked up a did then.... many of them are discussing literature points like foreshadowing, plot, characters, etc.) or we would look at the lesson options together and choose one to do later in the day. there are art lessons (horizons being one of the most memorable in our house). hopefully, your dh would still be at home at this point and could deal with the littles. i also read with littles tucked into bed with us. whatever works on any given day.

then, whatever the early morning routine is, followed by taking everyone for a walk a la charlotte mason. (realistically with that many littles and that many nursings and feedings and changing, that may be all that can happen in addition to what you're doing). then, kitchen time for everyone while you make lunch. (maybe babies will be sleeping?) you could play the cds of story of the world while you make lunch together OR listen to a book on tape OR listen to a classical music cd like kids classics "ring of mystery", etc.

then its lunch. then hopefully everyone naps except for oldest when you would do math, and language arts (learning to read/print or increasing fluency or ???). while you are putting the littles down, your oldest could do the activity which goes with the story of the world bit she listened to OR she could listen to it then do the activity.

then she could nap/have happy horizontal hour while you do an activity with the next oldest. (pattern blocks, etc). the five year old could also read a Before Five in a Row book to the 3 year old and do the activity with her as part of being a "big sister". they'd both be learning, and it could be magical. at 3 and 5, ours did very well together. we also had pattern blocks, sequencing cards, etc for the preschool crowd to do.

one other thing we did which turned out to be brilliant was we got a little child's size table with two benches and put it in our nook, which is like our family room. the bench seats lifted up. in one, we put playdo and plastic placemats. in the other, we put paper and crayons. while i was nursing one, the other would be at the bench, doing one of the activities. we could chat, i could watch, etc.

and i had a grandmother-aged woman who came in for 3 hours a week to be with the olders so i could be with the littles or she'd have everyone so i could go to the doctor's, etc.

and i had a neighborhood teen who came in for two hours once a week while i was home to just play with the kids. i paid her. it was life saving.

i don't remember much of that time; i was a little tired....

ann

Congratulations! Congratulations!

I was in almost the exact same spot as you are 9 years ago. My oldest was 5 and about to start K, and I also had a 2 1/2 year old and 12 month old. Then we got the news that we were expecting twins.

I think the key to sucessfully homeschooling this year will be do do as much as you can through the summer and up until the babies are born. Then take a 2 1/2 or 3-month break. Start back slowly - 3 days a week for the first few weeks (or couple of months) before going back to a 5-day-a-week schedule. That's basically what I did, and we ended the school year having done about 190 days of school (we were in a state that required keeping attendance records).

Also, arrange whatever help you can for those early months (relatives, friends, church, teenage mother's helper are some ideas). My mother helped me out 3 days a week from the time our second twin came home until they were about 4 months old. That helped me be able to have a little more uninterrupted time for doing school.

I agree with others who have posted to consider how much extra driving public school will mean. It is a hard job to load/unload your twins plus the 2 other younger children.

I also agree that you need to consider the risk of viruses, etc. that might get brought home from school. If your babies are born early (and there's a higher risk of that with twins) you'll need to be careful about what they're exposed to. Our pediatrician warned us to be very careful, because if our babies got RSV they would likely end up in the hospital. I'm sure homeschooling was one factor that helped protect our babies, because neither of them got sick during those early months at home.

One other consideration - if your babies are born early and spend time in the NICU, balancing hospital visits with public school schedules is going to be difficult. Also, having babies in the NICU is just more stressful for everyone in the family, and may affect how your oldest handles school at that time. I hope everything goes well, and your babies do not need to spend time in the NICU (or very little time), but if your experience ends up being similar to mine (one twin in NICU for 4 weeks; the other there for 6 1/2) it's going to be hard to juggle everything during those weeks. If you homeschool, you can already be planning for those to be weeks off, but you won't be able to take off from public school.

Praying everything goes well for you.

Blessings,

Laura

So much support in favor of continuing homeschooling. Unless you are getting a lot of support, and I mean actual helping not just cheerleading, from dh, I would personally consider sending them to school. When will YOU get a break? I would feel stretched thin with twins alone but more so having to ensure my older is getting some kind of education while the laundry/dishes pile up. Socialization IS important, too. The fieldtrips, etc. might need to take a backseat for the year. Just my two cents coming from a grouchy mom who was woken up at 5 by ds2.

Congratulations!

I understand where you're coming from. We had to send our daughter back to public school for high school because there was no way *we* could accomplish enough for her with the (then) babies. I understand first-hand the concerns your husband has.

That said, for elementary kids, it's possible to make adjustments to your schedule and fit school in. Also, maybe adjust your expectations of what school looks like. Take plenty of time to consider the options before deciding. If it comes down to sending your child to school, that doesn't mean it's forever :)