Menu

I feel sick ...

I don't know how anyone can even help me, but I am so upset that I'm practically shaking

My husband's company had a meeting this morning and suddenly announced that they will no longer be putting any money toward our health insurance. This means not only that we will suddenly have to come up with the extra $515/month that the company had been previously paying -- don't ask me how we will find that money -- but that our TOTAL bill for health insurance will now be $1450/month.

Not only THAT, but since our medical bills (co-pays, etc) average about $200/monthly, that means an outrageous percentage of our take-home-pay (close to 40%) is going to health insurance and routine medical bills.

Oh, and our policy renewal is this July, so there's a distinct possibility the rates will increase even upon that.

What makes me feel so sick about this is:

1) It's ongoing. In a way, it's worse than having a huge hospital bill. (BTDT) At least that gets paid up eventually, and you move on. This is every month, forever, with no end in sight, and the amount due never decreases.

2) We are totally helpless. It's not like any other bill in life, that when the price goes up you can do without or at least shop around. We can't stop having health insurance, and we cannot shop around. We have tried multiple times, and there are literally NO options because I have a pre-existing condition. Nor can we even put the kids on a separate policy.

Has anyone had to deal with this before???? Surely we can't be the only people that this crazy system is affecting.

And I'm NOT trying to start political debate, but will Obama Care (which I don't even understand) help us in this situation??

We got private insurance through a broker for a great price. Check your local white/yellow pages for Health Insurance Agents/Brokers. We found ours through dh's allergist.

FYI, we pay $281 a month for a family of 4. That's a PPO with Sierra Health/United and I'm over 40 (it went up $25 after my 40th birthday). It has $50 copays for doctor visits. No dental or vision.

HTH

Itemize your healthcare expenses on your taxes. This is a huge savings to us. Once your healthcare expenses are over 7.5% it's deductible. Turbo tax will figure it out for you. Itemize everything, even stuff you do not use insurance for (glasses, dental cleaning, mileage to every single appointment). Keep all medical reciepts. Your pharmacy will give you a print out yearly for each member of your household. We started to do this 10 years ago and it saved us.

If you are relatively healthy, I would opt out of the employer plan and go with an individual plan.

If you have pre-existing conditions, you might be stuck, since individual plans will generally deny any significant pre-existing conditions.

Obama's plan won't help you right now as I understand it...except if you have pre-existings, under Obama's plan the insurance company can't deny your pre-existing. (I'm talking off the top of my head, so if that's not the case, someone please correct!)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Jenny, I don't know if this will help, but in light of your health issues, it may be worth it to get quotes for your dh and children on one policy, and then get a separate policy for yourself.

It may not work but it won't hurt to crunch the numbers that way.

Now that your dh's employer is not paying, you are free to find your own insurance. Look at ehealthinsurance.com. It is a (the) reputable site for comparing costs. Initially it will give you quotes assuming that all of you are in good health; you'll have to apply to determine exactly how your condition will affect you. However, identical policy costs will not vary from website to website, so this site is a great place for general shopping.

Sure wish I had some answers.

I am so sorry. The insurance mess is a MESS!

Insurance became so incredibly expensive for us (more than our monthly income) that we just dropped it. Most docs and even hospitals or clinics are willing to negotiate a cash price for services. I've found that to be cheaper.

We do not have any major health complications, but we do have pre-existing conditions and ongoing health issues that require visits and occasionally an out patient procedure.

We got private insurance through a broker for a great price. Check your local white/yellow pages for Health Insurance Agents/Brokers. We found ours through dh's allergist.

Thanks.

This is the core of the problem, though -- NONE of those options are available to ME. I have spoken with multiple brokers who were highly recommended, and they said, "There is nothing I can do for you. No one will touch you."

I think that's what pisses me off so much. It feels like going to the store and buying groceries -- which isn't an optional expense -- and being told that I have to pay four times what every other customer is being charged. Or worse, that I'm not allowed to shop there at all.

(((hugs)))

That is really, really awful.

I don't know if the health insurance reforms will help. I hope so, but there are so many factors that it is very hard to know how a particular family will be impacted. It is all so insanely complicated. Hopefully, in coming years, the new laws will help provide better "marketplaces" online in order to compare insurance options, and hopefully provide some options for people, but who knows how it will all shake out.

You may be eligible for "CHIP" insurance for your kids. In GA, that is PeachCare. I have never used CHIP insurance, but I know plenty of people who have at various times in various states, and I have heard that it is very good, very cheap, and much better than most private insurance.

http://www.peachcare.org/FaqView.aspx?displayFaqId=101

With any luck, something like CHIP for kids may be available for adults one day.

I am so sorry this is happening to your family.

(((hugs)))

You can get "high risk" insurance personally if you meet certain guidelines:

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/features/choices/pre-existing-condition-insurance-plan/index.html

Bad thing, though, is that among other things (being rejected for insurance due to risk, etc), you have to have been uninsured for 6 mos.

So, it is an option to simply go w/o insurance for 6 mos, hope for the best, and then get that for yourself. Won't be cheap, but isn't outrageous. The trouble comes in if the 6 mos w/o insurance might bankrupt you. I've never had the nerve to go w/o insurance, even though we've faced a similar situation as small business owners . . . we could have gotten in a small-business-owner group in a state pool, but only if we did NOT already offer insurance to our staff (for 6-12 mos or something like that). It makes me so mad, b/c we already do the "right" thing, we have to CONTINUE to pay more for insurance than our competitors who have NOT done the right thing in the past. It's one more private-insurance-protection gimmick that stands in the way of progress.

Anyway, I hope you find some better options.

(((hugs)))

Check into Heath Savings Accounts. Oftentimes your existing insurance will have an HSA division and can switch you over without it being a "new" account. I've been so happy with ours.

I thought HSAs were just savings accounts for medical expense that comes directly out of the paycheck. Dh's company puts in $50 a month, then matches 25 cents/dollar up to $50 extra from the company (if you put in $200!) This doesn't help the price go down very much, and if her husband's company won't put anything toward insurance, I doubt they would do this.

OP, we are in almost the exact place you are. Two years ago we went from GREAT coverage with reasonable amount for premiums to double premiums and NO coverage until we've paid $3000 out of pocket. :glare: And with my very expensive medication and preexisting condition, no one will take me alone either. I think what we end up paying is about 35%+ of Dh's gross. It's been really hard, but mostly it's been really hard for dh. We were in a better financial position two years ago and that was before his last raise! It makes him feel like he's "not getting ahead" and it's depressing him. We tithe and trust in God, and thankfully for the most part we've only needed to go to the doctor/emergency room after the $3000 deductible was met (1 month before the whole thing reset.) I don't have anything encouraging to say, just :grouphug:s.

I thought HSAs were just savings accounts for medical expense that comes directly out of the paycheck. Dh's company puts in $50 a month, then matches 25 cents/dollar up to $50 extra from the company (if you put in $200!) This doesn't help the price go down very much, and if her husband's company won't put anything toward insurance, I doubt they would do this.

OP, we are in almost the exact place you are. Two years ago we went from GREAT coverage with reasonable amount for premiums to double premiums and NO coverage until we've paid $3000 out of pocket. :glare: And with my very expensive medication and preexisting condition, no one will take me alone either. I think what we end up paying is about 35%+ of Dh's gross. It's been really hard, but mostly it's been really hard for dh. We were in a better financial position two years ago and that was before his last raise! It makes him feel like he's "not getting ahead" and it's depressing him. We tithe and trust in God, and thankfully for the most part we've only needed to go to the doctor/emergency room after the $3000 deductible was met (1 month before the whole thing reset.) I don't have anything encouraging to say, just :grouphug:s.

An HSA can be coordinated with a paycheck or not. Ours is not. The way it works is that you get a high deductible medical insurance plan from a company. That will allow you to have coverage for anything catastrophic that might happen to you or your family medically. You still have to pay a premium for the high deductible plan, but it is much much lower than a usual plan. Then you open up an HSA bank account. That is a savings account that allows you to take money and use it for medical reasons tax free. There is a limit of how much you can put in each year.

When I go to the doctor, the doctor bills the insurance company. The company will apply it's provider discounts to the bill and my bill is reduced. The reduced bill is then passed on to me for me to pay out of my savings account. My particular plan pays for annual preventative medicine (check ups and gyn. exams) 100%. If I spend more than the deductible in a year (this happened a couple of years ago when I was in the ER a couple of times), then the insurance will pay my bills 100% after that.

I added up all the usual premiums I would pay and my co-pays etc. with a "regular" insurance and compared that to the premiums I would pay for a high-deductible account and the max. amount that I could put into the HSA account as my kitty. The HSA amount was lower.

An HSA can be coordinated with a paycheck or not. Ours is not. The way it works is that you get a high deductible medical insurance plan from a company. That will allow you to have coverage for anything catastrophic that might happen to you or your family medically. You still have to pay a premium for the high deductible plan, but it is much much lower than a usual plan. Then you open up an HSA bank account. That is a savings account that allows you to take money and use it for medical reasons tax free. There is a limit of how much you can put in each year.

When I go to the doctor, the doctor bills the insurance company. The company will apply it's provider discounts to the bill and my bill is reduced. The reduced bill is then passed on to me for me to pay out of my savings account. My particular plan pays for annual preventative medicine (check ups and gyn. exams) 100%. If I spend more than the deductible in a year (this happened a couple of years ago when I was in the ER a couple of times), then the insurance will pay my bills 100% after that.

I added up all the usual premiums I would pay and my co-pays etc. with a "regular" insurance and compared that to the premiums I would pay for a high-deductible account and the max. amount that I could put into the HSA account as my kitty. The HSA amount was lower.

I don't think the high deductible plans are always cheaper. We have a high deductible plan this year along with an HSA. We are paying the exact same premiums we paid last year when we had pretty good coverage with a PPO and a low deductible. On top of that, if one of us has an expensive medical issue, our maximum out of pocket is $10,000 in-network but $27,000 out-of-network. That really scares me because if a procedure is done at a hospital, you can get stuck with out-of-network doctors even if you are in an in-network hospital. It's not something you can always control.

I'm not saying it's not worth looking into, but it hasn't saved us any money. In fact, our deductible is so high, I feel we can no longer go to the doctor. My medication is now almost $400 a pop until we meet the deductible, so I've just stopped taking it. We were forced into the high deductible since that is now the only plan my husband's company is offering. Five years ago, we had a choice among at least 5 different plans.

OP, sorry you are dealing with this. :grouphug: It's pretty shocking that your husband's company would do this without some sort of phasing out period so you can at least try to slowly adjust. Maybe it would be worth one more shot for you to try getting independent insurance with the Obama changes. Perhaps they would not be able to exclude you now because of your preexisting condition.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I don't think the high deductible plans are always cheaper. We have a high deductible plan this year along with an HSA. We are paying the exact same premiums we paid last year when we had pretty good coverage with a PPO and a low deductible. On top of that, if one of us has an expensive medical issue, our maximum out of pocket is $10,000 in-network but $27,000 out-of-network. That really scares me because if a procedure is done at a hospital, you can get stuck with out-of-network doctors even if you are in an in-network hospital. It's not something you can always control.

Definitely run the numbers before you switch. I'm sure it depends on where you live. My high deductible plan is only $4000 out of pocket. It works out for us and is much cheaper than doing it otherwise. Plus, I use my HSA to pay for dental, prescriptions etc. (they have a list of what is allowed). I spent hours calling and talking to some very patient insurance people and bankers. And the few who weren't patient were crossed of my list of companies to work with.

Do a cost analysis. I do not know what your medical issues are but would it be $1650 a month if you had no insurance?

We don't have insurance at all. I haven't had any (except when pregnant) since I was taken off my parents policy at 19. My dh hasn't had *ANY* since he left the military in '96. I think I have spent less than $5k (again except when pregnant, I was covered by Medicaid) in medical for both of us. It would *NOT* have been worth it. We would have paid a helluva lot more if we had insurance.

So if you take insurance out of the equation how much would you spend on your medical for the family? Find out what the medical costs are if you pay cash at the doctor. You might be surprised.

:grouphug: I would look into hgh deductible plans as well, and then get an HSA to go with it. That is what we have through dh's work at this point, and it is great for us, because it covers 100% after our out of pocket max with no copays.

The new laws will likely make your situation more common, because penalties for not offering insurance for employees will be cheaper than providing insurance, and the more companies that jump ship the more that will follow, because employees will not longer expect insurance. The law will help you get private insurance, because pre-existing conditions will have to be covered and you cannot be turned down, but the price will be high just like what you are facing now.

I feel your pain. We pay about $1100 a month for our family of 5, have a $500 deductible, high copays ($50 per visit) and terrible overall coverage. Every year it goes up and we just can't afford it anymore. Every year we debate dropping it altogether, but I have so much fear about that too. It is so hard to get ahead or even stay afloat with medical expenses. :grouphug:

And I'm NOT trying to start political debate, but will Obama Care (which I don't even understand) help us in this situation??

Wow! I am so sorry to hear this. It's like taking a HUGE paycut. I also don't want to dwell on the political, but in a practical sense i'm wondering the same thing, how is Obamacare supposed to help? I keep hearing about "insurance exchanges" but where are they? And what's going to make them affordable? I hope someone is more up on this topic than I am! What's a family supposed to do in your situation.

Again, not to be political, but I was hoping we'd end up with something more like "Medicare For All" (an actual bill in the house HR 676) so everyone would be covered and we'd all take a tax hit together. Now a certain percentage of people is still not covered, and so far at least, things don't seem any more affordable!

:grouphug:

I just wanted to let you know that I completely understand your predicament. We were in your shoes 4 months ago. My son has CP, so NO ONE will touch him with a 10 ft. pole. Obamacare or not, it must not be in effect because we continue to get denied. DH also has heriditary high cholesterol. He is skinny and fit, yet his cholesterol is over 200 (was once as high as 500!!!) we were paying $1200 per month for a group plan that we had to get thru my husband's LLC we set up. When the economy took a nosedive, we were continuing to pay this outrageous amount even though we were bringing in ZERO income. Our savings was getting wiped out quickly and we finally had to come to terms with the fact that it would be cheaper for us to pay out of pocket for our medical visits than to pay that fee (PLUS A $5000 DEDUCTIBLE EVERY YEAR!) outrageous.

In January we dropped our insurance. We applied for the state healthcare program for our kids and we definitely qualified so they are covered. I am in the process of getting an individual plan for myself. DH has 2 more months and then he can qualify for the Pre-existing Condition insurance plan that another poster linked earlier for you.

yes, it's definitely a gamble not having insurance, but when you can't afford to pay the monthly bill, is there really a choice???

I'm certainly glad we got that monkey off our back. Perhaps my tune would change if something catastrophic where to happen to me or DH while we wait for new insurance to kick in, but there really wasn't an alternative. Can't squeeze money from a rock.

This happened to us several years ago. We were paying $213 per week. Last year we switched to a $5000 deductible plan. it is not saving us money in total if we include the $5000, but it provides 100% coverage in event of a catastrophe. This year, my husband's company suddenly didn't pay bonuses. The bonus was sometimes as much as 1/3 of his salary, so this is HUGE. Shocking. But they say they aren't making money and are trying to hold out for better times. I wish he could find something better, but that isn't as easily done as it is said!

Wow! I am so sorry to hear this. It's like taking a HUGE paycut. I also don't want to dwell on the political, but in a practical sense i'm wondering the same thing, how is Obamacare supposed to help? I keep hearing about "insurance exchanges" but where are they? And what's going to make them affordable? I hope someone is more up on this topic than I am! What's a family supposed to do in your situation.

Again, not to be political, but I was hoping we'd end up with something more like "Medicare For All" (an actual bill in the house HR 676) so everyone would be covered and we'd all take a tax hit together. Now a certain percentage of people is still not covered, and so far at least, things don't seem any more affordable!

:iagree: I wish we had some kind of "socialized" medicine. I have no love for insurance companies. And I have no love for an employer who would suddenly take away a benefit that you've come to rely upon. I understand companies are struggling, but something has got to give eventually, here. Normal, hardworking, everyday folks are struggling for simple existence.

Thanks.

This is the core of the problem, though -- NONE of those options are available to ME. I have spoken with multiple brokers who were highly recommended, and they said, "There is nothing I can do for you. No one will touch you."

I think that's what pisses me off so much. It feels like going to the store and buying groceries -- which isn't an optional expense -- and being told that I have to pay four times what every other customer is being charged. Or worse, that I'm not allowed to shop there at all.

I'd definitely see how much it would cost to just keep you or you and hubby on at the employer, and insure your kids or kids and dh elsewhere. Even when dh and I worked at the same company, it was MUCH cheaper to have him on a single plan and the kids and I on a single parent plan.

Also, legally yes, Obamacare says the insurance companies have to offer you insurance at the same rates as healthy people--starting on January 1, 2014. Right now the preexisting coverage is only for minors (under 19).

I'd definitely see how much it would cost to just keep you or you and hubby on at the employer, and insure your kids or kids and dh elsewhere. Even when dh and I worked at the same company, it was MUCH cheaper to have him on a single plan and the kids and I on a single parent plan.

Also, legally yes, Obamacare says the insurance companies have to offer you insurance at the same rates as healthy people--starting on January 1, 2014. Right now the preexisting coverage is only for minors (under 19).

Or perhaps, healthy people will start having to pay the same rates as the chronically ill?

Can you contact your senators and representative (state and federal) to see what they suggest? Maybe there is something out there or maybe they can find something. At the very least, maybe they'll see a solution needs to be found.

I'm happy with our health share group, but that wouldn't work for you here (or anyone with pre-exisiting). It only works if you join before pre-exisiting.

I'm of the belief that all should have affordable access to good health-care.

I noticed this when dh got his new job in December....on our 3 kids it said coverage for pre-existing was immediate....for dh and myself one year. So are you saying that under the coming 2014 guidelines, even adults would get immediate coverage on preexisting?

Do a cost analysis. I do not know what your medical issues are but would it be $1650 a month if you had no insurance?

We don't have insurance at all. I haven't had any (except when pregnant) since I was taken off my parents policy at 19. My dh hasn't had *ANY* since he left the military in '96. I think I have spent less than $5k (again except when pregnant, I was covered by Medicaid) in medical for both of us. It would *NOT* have been worth it. We would have paid a helluva lot more if we had insurance.

So if you take insurance out of the equation how much would you spend on your medical for the family? Find out what the medical costs are if you pay cash at the doctor. You might be surprised.

As I'm sure everyone here is aware, the problem with not having insurance is not with when our families are healthy, it's when something bad happens. An accident, a major illness. And catastrophic plans don't normally cover prescriptions--so you're out of luck if someone gets an illness (like cancer) where the prescriptions are *very* expensive.

Without insurance, a major medical issue will wipe you out. Even with insurance, it can wipe you out.

I actually just looked into this a few weeks ago and was told by a broker that the law had recently changed that you could not put the children on a plan without the parent. I forget the exact wording or explanation, but the bottom line was that we could NOT do that because of a recent change in the law.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug: Obamacare is going to have exchanges that will supposedly allow for comparing plans and shopping around. I believe the exchanges will also do away with the interstate issues too. Subsidies will be available for families up to 4X the poverty level (roughly up to 90k for a family of 4),

However, no word on how much of a subsidy will be paid, or how much of a family's income will be expected to go toward the required care. Also no clear word on what these required/ subsidized policies will cover and on what terms (co pays, deductibles).

My fear is that the insurance companies will calculate exactly how much they can bleed a family in terms of premiums-- then charge that PLUS whatever expected subsidy will be provided. Sort of how groceries often charge more for worse quality items in areas with heavy food stamp use.

I too wish a single payer system were in place in this country on par with canada or britain. I have friends on both countries and they've received excellent care at close to 0 cost beyond their taxes. (my british friend has a small co pay for prescriptions because he's employed)

DH has received a raise that prices us out of the children's state plan so the net effect of losing that coverage will be a pay decrease. Starting this fall we're going to be facing a terrifying pricetag for our health insurance-- which has already risen 33% due to obamacare-- the insurers are hiking up their prices while they can.

I don't have any additional suggestions. We are in a similar postion. I'm thankful my pre-existing condition is not terribly expensive and not likely to become so (I'm bipolar, but as long as I take my meds, it's very well controlled.). But our insurance was costing us $1200 a month and we had to choose between it and our mortgage. The kids are on CHIP. DH and I are just hoping we don't get sick. He's closing his law firm (which he started less than 6 months before the housing market crashed) and trying to get a job with benefits. It will be a lot less stressful, but it's killing him emotionally to give up his dream.

I've said it before on the boards - I hate the idea of socialized medicine. But it would be better than this.

Here is a copy of what I posted last week on another thread:

My dh lost his job (with the insurance) last December. His company closed down, so no COBRA. So, you move to what your state offers. The "guaranteed" insurance is a JOKE. $1000+ per person per month!!!!! I just laugh when it is said "all will have insurance." Yeah, but it can't be afforded.

The insurance dh did have was in a small company. $1000/mth for a family of 4. $6500 ded. EACH and no one took this insurance. Every time we went to the doctor, we had to pay for it. He had to work a second job to afford it, in case you can't add, that's $12,000 a year!! Found out that some in his company were high risk, but because of the laws of all having to pay equal premiums, we were paying for someone else's.

When I had to scrounge to find our own policy, the government plan required that you go six months WITHOUT insurance to be able to get it. NO WAY were we going without insurance. Luckily I found a plan for us. And, it was half the cost, and a lower deductible. Here's the clincher: We couldn't have gotten that plan while he was working. To get that, we had to check that 1) insurance was not available through his employer 2) insurance was not available through my employer (I don't work at a job).

I agree with anyone that says it needs fixing, but so far I am underwhelmed at what has been done. Luckily they raised the dependent age to 26, so ds will be covered on our policy when he graduates college.

My only ideas are to see if there is a higher deductible plan that would lower the cost. Then you can use some of the premium money to pay for actual medical expenses. I hope your state laws are different than what I had to deal with. When dh was working, we had two choices, pay the high insurance premium, or go without.

Even if he did, would the new insurance policy with the new company take a person with pre-existing conditions? She said that was what was keeping them from changing.

No, with insurance through employers, if you have continuous coverage, pre-existing conditions are covered. The problem is if you have to apply for private (individual) insurance, then they can charge high premiums and/or exclude pre-existing conditions.

that means an outrageous percentage of our take-home-pay (close to 40%) is going to health insurance and routine medical bills.

We pay about 55-60% of dh's income to health care costs (premiums, out-of-pocket expenses). It is what it is. We've shopped around and cannot find a better deal. Dh has to have medical coverage so dropping his is not an option. I want maternity coverage. We've considered getting catastrophic only when the baby-making years have passed and we briefly considered not being insured at all (300K of medical bills later after the babies were born I'm so glad we were insured!). I don't know of any other options so we just suck it up, pay the premiums and make do with less in other areas.

Be careful of this. Many Dr's will not accept cash patients.

I live under "romneycare". So we have to have insurance or pay a penalty. It is pretty much sociallized insurance. In one way it is good for the self employed, like ourselves who qualify for state funded insurance. But, nothing is free. You are the last for appt's, and you have a hard time finding a Dr who will take your insurance.

Also, it effects kids in college here. If you or your DH works for someone, and one parent has heath insurance, your child can stay on it until they are 26. Married or unmarried. As long as they do not get a job that offers health insurance(no matter what the cost is). But if they attend college, you have to provide proof that you can still be listed under your parents health, because if you go full time(9 credits or more), and you are NOT listed under a private health insurance, you have no choice but to take the College Health Insurance, which is $900.00 per semester and NO coverage in the summer. Which means $1800.00 for about 9 months and it is only catastrophic insurance. And you will be penalized by the state if you go without insurance at any time during the year. Since we are self employed, and carry state insurance, my daughter had to apply to the state to get her own insurance and stay part time at College, otherwise we would be stuck paying $1800.00. Whereas the state insurance for her is free. But again, you have a hard time getting appt's and finding a PCP to accept the state plans since the payout is so low.

This is what Romney wants to do if he is elected. It sounds so WONDERFUL that everyone here now has insurance. But neglects to leave out the bad stuff. And oh, BTW??? The state is broke.

We could not afford private insurance here. They make it so unaffordable that you are literally shoved to state insurance. And most Dr's here will NOT take cash patients, because we live in a state with mandatory health insurance. You may find a few out there. But not many. Or you have to go to a free clinic, and that could be months. Or, the ER.

So small pros, but BIG cons.

So, if your kids at least qualify for state health, I would look into it. It is better then no insurance at all.

OP :grouphug:

I hate insurance companies with a bloody passion. I'm uninsurable (privately) because, although I am the picture of good health, I took 2 rounds of clomid 8 or 9 years ago. I applied for a $100/mo catastrophic, high deductible plan, but was turned down b/c of the clomid. :mad:

DH has insurance paid through work, kids are on state ins. My options are getting ins. through DH's work or going on the state "pre-existing condition" plan. Both are close to $350/mo (last time I checked) and NOT affordable for us, especially since my only health expense is an annual exam for $40 + labs (less that $200 total). (this is at a low-income sliding scale clinic)

I'd like to see something put in place similar to how we handle education (really!). Have a free state (not federal) option available to everyone, funded with tax dollars (maybe sliding scale like the clinic I use?). If you don't like the public option, choose your own insurance (or self-pay).

Have a free state (not federal) option available to everyone, funded with tax dollars (maybe sliding scale like the clinic I use?). If you don't like the public option, choose your own insurance (or self-pay).

This is what we have now under Romneycare. And it isn't as good as it sounds. Tax dollars? from who? Most of the people living in this state do not pay taxes because they either don't work, or are here illegally. This is why this state is so broke.

Can't self pay in most offices as I stated. If your state madates helath insurance, Dr's do not like to take cash patients.

Choosing your own insurance is an option. The state will help pay for premiums. But the catch is that you cannot be self employed. AND, your income has to fall within very close ends of the spectrum. Which again, basically forces you onto to either welfare, or the state funded insurance we have with a small premium based on income.

The whole system stinks. If this goes nationwide, we are all screwed.

Nothing the state or the federal government gives you is for "free". There is always a payback somewhere.

I'd like to see something put in place similar to how we handle education (really!). Have a free state (not federal) option available to everyone, funded with tax dollars (maybe sliding scale like the clinic I use?). If you don't like the public option, choose your own insurance (or self-pay).

I'd like there to be state/federal insurance for everyone and then if people want extra insurance on top of whatever is covered by the state, they can purchase that themselves. In fact, don't we have something like that now in Medicare?