Menu

What do your 7-12 year olds do at home when not doing school related things

I am looking for ideas for things my 7-12 year olds can do here at home in their free time. They do like to read but I am looking for ideas other than that.

We have been spending way too much time at the computer, Xbox or TV. One of our problems is that we have a tiny yard so outdoor play is limited to a small space. We have a swing set and will be getting a new trampoline in the next few weeks.

Thanks!

We do very little screen time. From 12-2 the toddler naps and they all have quiet time.

WHen not doing school work DS1 builds with Lego, Zoob, snap circuits, etc. He draws. He reads a lot. He cleans up his room sometimes since he's stuck in his room during quiet time anyway.

During the rest of the day he does the above, goes outside and plays, rides his bike in the driveway or cul-de-sac, takes care of the garden (he enjoys gardening). In the late afternoon or evening he plays with the neighbors probably 30-50% of days. He plays baseball in the evenings or weekends on a team right now 1-2 days per week.

coloring/drawing/painting

play board games - We are majorly into Settlers of Catan right now

chores

extra chores for money

gardening/yard work

crafts - beadwork, hand sewing, knitting

baking

make villages out of boxes - why did I ever buy a doll house or playmobile???

play with the dog and cats

listen to books on tape - while doing some of the above

make up "shows" - this can occupy the little girls for hours

My 10yo is not allowed to play video games during the week so he plays with legos, watches history/science shows, plays with friends (Nerf, Legos, board games, playing outside, riding bikes)... Generally we finish school by 3 p.m. and he only has about 2 hours until dinner and whatever activity we have that night (AHG, DD's dance, rock climibng, AWANAS, Cub Scouts) and he tends to try to go play with a friend somewhere.

We installed an "After 4pm" rule in which there were no electronics until after 4pm and then every few months we go a week without electronics. They find things to keep themselves occupied.

I know it isn't what you asked, but I want to point out that it is not your responsibility to teach them to entertain themselves. They need to learn how to do that for themselves.

Including the other posters activities, these things are also okay to do in our house:

Sit and stare aimlessly.

Bother me until I tell them to go away and find something to do.

Craft building, making something.

Well, my almost 5 and almost 7 yo's:

Color, lots of crafts

Legos

Barbies/ sweet streets

Lots of pretend play/ dress up

Board games

Bikes and scooters outside

Playground

Swimming, lots of it.

We try to limit tv, I use it strategically for the littles during school time and the wii only gets turned on when it is a family activity.

Ds also plays soccer and dd spends 8+ hours a week at gymnastics

We have the "no screen time during the week" rule, so they play outside, play legos, play games they've invented themselves, play chess or other board games, draw comic books, etc. If they complain about being bored, I assign a chore. They seldom complain about being bored. I have two of the same gender, very close in age, though, so I think that helps. They play together quite nicely.

I think if you impose restrictions on the screen time, they'll find things to do. I remember playing all day long with my sisters because we were almost never allowed to watch TV (the only screen available back in my day :D).

I've had to impose a no screens until after 6pm rule in our house.

The little ones spend a lot of time playing with their pet rabbit. Dd likes to draw and read. Ds likes to play with playmobile and lego. They also enjoy playing outside, particularly climbing trees. They don't really use the trampoline very much. We just got recorders, so that's taking lots of their attention today. :001_smile:

We don't have TV beyond Netflix or a video game console outside of my husband's XBox for which we have no child friendly games so aside from videos specifically selected for school there are only a few things they watch during free time. I don't even know if they make child friendly games for the Xbox and the kids have never asked. We keep the everything but the AppleTV unplugged to cut down on electricity usage and the powerstrip is on top of the cabinet which means if they want to watch something they need an adult's help. That combined with the fact that the TV is in the basement means it's often out of sight, out of mind.

My kids are big into imaginative play. Oftentimes that includes Legos, but sticks outside work as well. My ds is actually the big driving force in their play - without him the younger two are lost and with him they play for hours at a time. On non-school days I don't think they need me for more than meals and the occassional referee.

When it's nice outside the kids have mandatory outside time. We have a fenced in yard plus a sandbox, but I don't think the yard is overly big. They always find something to do. Lately it's involved dragging the old Christmas tree (saving it for the Winter Solstice bonfire) around the yard. *shrugs* I'm not sure what that's about, but I figure it counts as strength training.

Otherwise they occassionally write, draw, or read on their own. I've always encouraged them to play independently - it's not my job to entertain them like a cruise director. If they're bored then they need to find something to do.

I've always done it this way, though, so they have years of experience in figuring out what to do when they're bored which probably makes it easier. As an added bonus, they're also ridiculously easy to take on long car trips. All of it, I think goes back to the ability to entertain oneself when bored.

They play outside, ride bikes, draw, read, play with their dolls, build with legos, write silly stories, knit, weave, do needlepoint, play solitaire or other card games with each other, play a board game together, help with household chores (doing laundry, emptying the dishwasher, cleaning their rooms).

We hardly ever watch t.v., unless we have an educational video on hand, or a family movie to watch on weekend evenings. Otherwise, I read to them in the evenings. They don't have any handheld video games, and their recreational computer time is limited to 15 or 20 minutes per day on the weekends to play educational software such as Vroot Vroom/Wiggle Woods, MindBenders, Building Thinking Skills, Word Roots, etc.

Jean, my dc do a lot with their 4H projects. 4H is more than just livestock. They have knitting, cake decorating, entymology, photography, cooking, quilting, sewing, rocketry, etc. These are skills/subjects I know almost nothing about. I couldn't have taught them to my dc. Do you have a 4H club nearby?

Legos mostly. OR outside playing especially riding his bike now that his cast is gone. He also likes to draw, make up plays with his sisters, bake, doing badge work for cub scouts. But still mostly lego. Oh an he recently discovered a stash of wood under our house so he has been busy lately trying to build a fort in the back yard.

Edited by swellmomma

Wii/computer (45-60 minutes per day if exercise is done first)

Drawing

Legos

Reading

Playing with siblings

Talking (they like to talk to each other and make up stories together)

Chess or other games

Create art from everyday objects

Occasionally a DVD

Chores

My 7 yr old boy and 11 yr old boy like:

-Minecraft on the computer

-Legos

-coloring/drawing/other artistic type things

-some board games (Lego board games, various card games, etc. but usually only if the 14 yr old plays too)

-water play (pool, backyard hose, water balloons, toys in the sink or bathtub, etc.) (esp. the 7 yr old)

-play dough (you'd think the 11 yr old is too old for this, but he still has fun sometimes)

My 7 yr old loves to just be handed the box of math manipulatives and allowed to play to his heart's content. He can spend hours with that, making up games and things.

My 11 yr old would easily read all.day.long. if I let him. He also likes to sew, and I help him with that when I have the time and inclination.

When I set stricter limits on the electronics, the first few days are rough but then they fill in the extra hours nicely.

Also, radical idea here, but for us it works better to do school midday so that there are a few hours of free time in the morning, then we eat lunch, do school, then they have a few hours free in the afternoon. When we do school first thing, there are just too many hours free all in one big block. Just this switch has been a HUGE help for us and for them in busting the boredom.

My 7 yr old boy and 11 yr old boy like:

-Minecraft on the computer

-Legos

-coloring/drawing/other artistic type things

-some board games (Lego board games, various card games, etc. but usually only if the 14 yr old plays too)

-water play (pool, backyard hose, water balloons, toys in the sink or bathtub, etc.) (esp. the 7 yr old)

-play dough (you'd think the 11 yr old is too old for this, but he still has fun sometimes)

My 7 yr old loves to just be handed the box of math manipulatives and allowed to play to his heart's content. He can spend hours with that, making up games and things.

My 11 yr old would easily read all.day.long. if I let him. He also likes to sew, and I help him with that when I have the time and inclination.

When I set stricter limits on the electronics, the first few days are rough but then they fill in the extra hours nicely.

Also, radical idea here, but for us it works better to do school midday so that there are a few hours of free time in the morning, then we eat lunch, do school, then they have a few hours free in the afternoon. When we do school first thing, there are just too many hours free all in one big block. Just this switch has been a HUGE help for us and for them in busting the boredom.

My ds13 played with them too. For some reason he particularily likes the cm cubes and dragon tears. I am forever finding them in lines and ranks. Apparently they are going to war. He will use other math manips too but those are his favorites.

My ds13 played with them too. For some reason he particularily likes the cm cubes and dragon tears. I am forever finding them in lines and ranks. Apparently they are going to war. He will use other math manips too but those are his favorites.

what are dragon tears???

we have cm cubes, pattern blocks, cuisenaire rods, teddy bear counters, and a geoboard/rubber band set. He does all kinds of crazy things with them. Lots of going to war I'm sure.

But I've never heard of dragon tears....what are those?

We installed an "After 4pm" rule in which there were no electronics until after 4pm and then every few months we go a week without electronics. They find things to keep themselves occupied.

I know it isn't what you asked, but I want to point out that it is not your responsibility to teach them to entertain themselves. They need to learn how to do that for themselves.

Including the other posters activities, these things are also okay to do in our house:

Sit and stare aimlessly.

:iagree: When my kids are bored, I offer them additional chores. I don't entertain them. My girls played detailed, imaginative things with their stuffed animals and Schielch toys.

They play outside

Ride bikes and scooters

Play with the dogs

Make houses and cities with boxes and found things then play with them

Make things with air dry clay then paint and play with them

Bake

Work in their gardens

Draw

Write stories

Listen to stories

Play board games

Play card games

Read

Draw

Color

I have an almost 11 year old boy and a 7.5 year old boy. They ride bikes/scooters, shoot hoops, build a fort in our bushes and run around pretending they are guarding a castle if it isn't raining or excessively hot/humid. The neighbor's daughter comes over as soon as the bus drops her off at her house on most days, but it keeps them occupied.

If they stay in, they usually build with Legos or Knex (they love the roller coasters and the gears kit), make forts and play with their plastic army men, and sometimes they draw and pretend they are architects or aeronautical engineers (not sure where they came up with these) and design houses or planes.

My little one reads a lot, my bigger one has just started reading Harry Potter and it has made him want to read for the first time (clouds part, angels sing...)

I limit TV and video, but will sometimes give in and let them watch Phineas and Ferb or SpeedRacer, a movie, or an "educational" documentary off of Netflix downloads. I also let them watch some old time movies that pertain to our history time period - like the old Cheaper By The Dozen for the turn of the century, The Blue and The Gray TV miniseries for Civil War, etc.

what are dragon tears???

we have cm cubes, pattern blocks, cuisenaire rods, teddy bear counters, and a geoboard/rubber band set. He does all kinds of crazy things with them. Lots of going to war I'm sure.

But I've never heard of dragon tears....what are those?

They are those smooth, shiny, curved glass "rocks" used in floral arrangements. The kids like using them as math manips and as toys. We buy ours at the $ store or in the floral arts department of the craft store.

Lately they've been making a "fairy village" outside next to a tree. They use leaves, sticks, rocks, shells, and dirt. They also dug a little "stream" and made a stick bridge for it. The fairies only come out after bedtime, but I hear they are enjoying their new cottages. :)

They also spend time making things with paper - cards, books, paperdolls, maps, etc, - primarily spreading little bits of paper all over the house.

They like to plan trips across the country (usually to the Yukon or Hawaii) make maps and lists of things to bring along.

:iagree:

Also agree with pp who has some mandatory outside time when the weather is decent. This isn't an issue w/ my younger two (closer in age and both girls) but it is necessary with my 11 yo who became more sedentary last year (don't know if it's age or moving to new town). I tell him I don't care if he reads a book outside but outside he's going. He usually walks the dog and jumps on the trampoline. The trampoline is the best thing we've ever done as far as outdoor equipment. We've had for about 3-4 years and worth every penny many times over.

Hoola hoops are great, too, with limited yard space. Can be done inside on rainy days, too! Sometimes all three of them get going and it cracks me up.

Also, nerf gun battles popular around our house.

My ds(11) draws, practices singing, plays with Legos or Tech Deck, makes videos, practices magic tricks, mods a Nerf gun, builds crossbows and shooters out of household things, and after 3pm he's outside with his friends playing tag , basketball, or skateboarding. He does like to be on the computer, play X-Box (or PSP or 3DS) and watch a movie, too.

Sit and stare aimlessly.

I don't intend to plan what they or my teens will do, but I wanted some ideas of things to purchase or make available for them. I am working on having more art supplis, and from the teen thread I got the idea to have more board games, some air soft guns which they love, but we don't have etc.

We have the "no screen time during the week" rule, so they play outside, play legos, play games they've invented themselves, play chess or other board games, draw comic books, etc. If they complain about being bored, I assign a chore. They seldom complain about being bored. I have two of the same gender, very close in age, though, so I think that helps. They play together quite nicely.

I think if you impose restrictions on the screen time, they'll find things to do. I remember playing all day long with my sisters because we were almost never allowed to watch TV (the only screen available back in my day :D).

We didn't have a TV or computer for the first 12 years we were married so my older kids were good at keeping themselves occupied. The last few years we have had TV off and on and now very kid had a computer so a soon as they put the books away they want to head towards a screen. We are limiting screen time to the evenings now.

Jean, my dc do a lot with their 4H projects. 4H is more than just livestock. They have knitting, cake decorating, entymology, photography, cooking, quilting, sewing, rocketry, etc. These are skills/subjects I know almost nothing about. I couldn't have taught them to my dc. Do you have a 4H club nearby?

I didn't know that 4H was more than animals! I do think we have one nearby because my teens have friends that are involved with their lambs.

Read

Read

more read

I've actually found myself saying something like "stop reading and do something else.":confused:

play with pets

puzzles

games

various crafts

art

bird watching (we've had a great spring and a busy set of bird feeders for bird watching"

practice piano or violin

lego

playmobil sets

barbie

decorate dollhouse

Uh, fight with each other. Makes it very difficult when a gift-giving occasion arises. No, all seriousness aside.....

**they are playing legos now (this morning after our mollusk lab, they combined playing with legos and snails and made boats and planes for the snails to ride in)

** ride bikes

** make forts with blankets and chairs

** draw

** play catch

8 yr old dd:

paints/draws

sculpts

designs and makes costumes

sews/embroiders

climbs trees

swings

rides bike or scooter

plays games

makes up her own games

makes mud "pottery" in the backyard

pretend plays with stuffed animals, playmobil, lego, etc.

writes and illustrates books

SOMETIMES reads on her own

and yes . . . watches her favorite tv show

Not sure where you live but mine play on their tramp. In a couple of months we will have the pool up. They love riding their bike. Play with their nerf guns.

When we get done with school, normally around 12:30-1 we do lunch and then normally we have a down time. They watch netflix or a dvd and I rest for an hour or so. They then are free to go outside and play. My kiddos rarely have difficulty finding something to do. They love being outside and go pretty much regardless of the temp.:001_smile:

Dances, draws, reads, cooks, bakes, takes care of her animals, plays word games (Scrabble, Zip It, Bananagrams etc) with me or her sibs, 'sets up' her Breyer horses, plays outside in a 'potions' shop she created with old pots, pans, funnels, chimes, and various weeds, petals, and plants. (It's actually quite lovely and magical -looking.) Today she went through her drawers and closet and rearranged everything. She has a bag to donate to good will. She makes toys for her cats, she trains her dogs, she rides her bike and walks the dogs. Today she was roller skating. She likes old movies as well, but that is an eveing thing. She also plays two instruments and works on her pieces daily. Oh! I nearly forgot! She and her sister make iPod movies. lol They are very silly and fun.

Edited by LibraryLover

...I want to point out that it is not your responsibility to teach them to entertain themselves. They need to learn how to do that for themselves.

:iagree:My mother and I went round and round about this. I took ODS's XBOX away and she insisted it was unfair because I hadn't "replaced" it with something for him to do. I pointed out that we had tons of books available, there was a yard and small woods to play in, he had toys.....she kept insisting that I was expecting to much of him. Well, after months (yes, mmmmoooonnthhhs) of him moping around, he will read a book or play outside. She has finally admitted that perhaps I was right.

Let them be bored. If you have things that they *could* be doing, you've done your part, it isn't your fault if they *won't* do them.

My kiddos like to :

rollerblade/skate around the house

play legos

read or play monopoly on kindle

bake muffins, cookies, cakes, or whatever

jump on trampoline while getting sprayed with a hose :)

run and check the mail (100 times) jk

paint a picture

set up forts in their bedroom with ALL of my blankets, well, not all. It just feels like it!

swim

talk my ears off until I put down what I am doing to listen

Wii

Ipad

DS

Movies

Can't think of anything else at the moment

They play board games, read, do craft things, build forts inside and out, pass the lax ball around, shoot on our goal (all 3 play and one of the 7 y.o.s is a goalie), swing, sit in their play forts and make up stories...

I don't know. Just kid stuff. They do chores, but that's not a huge part of their non-school time. They don't really have screen time of any sort, except family movie night most Fridays (tonight we went to a highschool lax game and they play early tomorrow, so no movie, and the local news caught some video of them and their league-mates so now they're mad they can't stay up for the 11:00 news, lol)

Oh! I nearly forgot! She and her sister make iPod movies. lol They are very silly and fun.

I forgot that, too! Yes, iPod videos are fun. :)

Edited by MyCrazyHouse