Menu

S/O - What do you prefer to be called? How do your children address adults?

What do you prefer?  

1. 1. What do you prefer?

• I prefer my children to call adults Mr/Mrs LastName
    • I prefer my children to call adults Mr/Miss FirstName
    • I prefer my children to use first names
    • I ask other adults what they prefer
    • I prefer to be called Mr/Mrs LastName
    • I prefer to be called Mr/Miss FirstName
    • I prefer to be called by my first name
    • Other

I am curious what you prefer your children to call most adults. I generally ask adults what they prefer my children to call them.

I see calling someone what they prefer to be called to be the most respectful option. Personally, I don't see how adding Mr/Mrs/Miss as a prefix instills respect but perhaps this is because I was not raised that way.

I really don't see how saying Miss/Mr FirstName is much different than just saying the first name in instances outside of a classroom. Being called Miss FirstName is actually one of my pet peeves, I am not a preschool teacher! If a family insists on a title I would prefer to be called Mrs. Lastname. My first preference is just my first name.

Honestly I feel the most respectful option is to call others as they wish, which is why I always ask.

What are your preferences?

ETA: If you staunchly believe children should use titles to address adults how would you feel if an adult insisted on your dc using their first name only?

Edited by SJ.

Out of respect, I have my kids say Mr./Miss first-name. If the adult prefers something else, I leave it to them to correct us. I've only had one adult do that and she preferred Mrs. Last-name-initial. Okay...

I always tell parents that their children can call me by my first name, but they generally prefer Miss first-name.

All teens that I've met through my children call me by my first name except one young gentleman who told me his mom would be very disappointed if he disrespected me like. He wanted to call me by Mrs. last-name, but he did accept to call me Miss first-name. Actually, several of my dd19's friends call me Mama Beth. :tongue_smilie:

I prefer to be called by my first name.

Miss Firstname is a cuddly preschool teacher, which I am not. It just seems like the diminutive version of Mrs. Lastname, and by definition the diminutive form is informal. So I don't really see how calling me Miss Firstname is supposed to be respectful: it really just adds an extraneous title which isn't even based in fact. To me, Miss is an unmarried young woman. I understand that Miss Firstname has a long history in some areas of the country, but... well, it's either a preschool teacher or a historical remnant out of Gone With the Wind to me.

I am not a Mrs., I am a Ms. I did not change my name when I got married, so I do not consider myself a Mrs. But that's not something I'm interested in lecturing a 4yo about the nuance of, and I'd rather just avoid the whole Mrs. thing.

But if someone else wants their child to call me something, I will not correct the parent in front of the child or tell the child something different, especially if the child is very young (I do admit that I did this with a teenager recently... but I've known her for years and she's practically an adult and she's old enough to decide if she'd like to reduce the formality between us). If they have a specific way that they want to raise their children, it's not my place to correct them. I think it's really rude when adults do this... I know that they're trying to be friendly, but it's really not their place to correct another parent in front of a young child.

I'm not married, so Ms. Lastname is my preference (but if kids say Mrs. Or Miss Lastname that's fine too).

Assuming my kids ever get the guts to say anything to another parent (still waiting), I would prefer M. Lastname if the child knows the last name. However, if it's someone they'll be talking to regularly, I'll ask the adult what s/he prefers to be called.

<SNIP>If they have a specific way that they want to raise their children, it's not my place to correct them. I think it's really rude when adults do this... I know that they're trying to be friendly, but it's really not their place to correct another parent in front of a young child.

I agree with this. I have never asked a child to call me something different than what the parent requested. We do have a family friend that refers to us as Mr/Miss FirstName to her children. I have been considering asking her privately to refer please refer to us either by our first names or Mr/Mrs LastName. I would never do it in front of the child.

My apologies for not including Ms. as an option.

I prefer to be called Mrs. Last Name. In our church, all the old widows who teach young children are called Miss/Ms. First Name and I'd prefer not to be lumped with them, no offense to little old ladies.

I don't like children younger than 17 or 18 calling me by my first name and don't offer it to anyone under those ages.

You forgot Mrs. {child's name}'s Mom. I've been called that which is cute.

I grew up in the South where you did not call grownup by their first name, and grown ups introduced themselves as Mr. or Mrs. Smith not Bob or Jane. It just wasn't done. I've been a bit lost out west because I can't get past my own childhood manners to teach my kids to call grownups by their first names which seems to be the norm here. My poor compromise is to refer to them as Mr. Bob and Ms. Jane because I often don't know the last name since that isn't common here. People just introduce themselves by their first names. :D Easy enough, right. I'm trying to be polite, but polite has changed since I was taught manners.

I don't mind being called Mrs. Lastname, but it does seem very formal to me. I am totally okay with being called Miss Firstname, and that's what most of my friends refer to me as when speaking to their kids (who are generally young like mine). I generally refer to my friends/my kids' co-op teachers as Miss or Mrs. Firstname, so that's what my kids call them. I do have one friend, who is a little older than I am, and her kids are teens, and she always refers to me as Mrs. Lastname to her kids, so that's what they call me. I try to refer to her as Mrs. Lastname to my kids, but I often forget.

I always called my parents' friends Mr. or Mrs. Lastname growing up, with a few exceptions, and it was really hard for me to switch to calling them by their first names when I became an adult. Generally, I prefer to err on the side of being too formal rather than not formal enough, but I don't have a strong preference on the name thing.

I see calling someone what they prefer to be called to be the most respectful option.

I agree. I actually dislike being called Mrs. Lastname, especially by my kids' friends. I got used to Ms. Firstname when some of the parents of my kids' friends felt so strongly about it.

As they get older, though, it just feels really odd to me to have young people use a title instead of my name.

However, since I realize that people do feel strongly about it, we always used to ask adults what they would like our kids to call them.

Of course, my kids use a silly name for me, which is kind of an inside joke. And now some of their friends who hang out with us frequently have started calling me that, instead, which is also fine with me.

I grew up in the South where you did not call grownup by their first name, and grown ups introduced themselves as Mr. or Mrs. Smith not Bob or Jane.

That's interesting. I also grew up in the south and everyone was Mr/Miss/Mrs. First Name.

I truly have no preference. Many of my children's friends call me Miss First Name eventhough I am married. The children I know from school (preschool, elem before homeschooling, and now co-op) call me Mrs. Last Name. I let each child's parent decide/dictate how they are to address other adults.

You forgot Mrs. {child's name}'s Mom. I've been called that which is cute.

I grew up in the South where you did not call grownup by their first name, and grown ups introduced themselves as Mr. or Mrs. Smith not Bob or Jane. It just wasn't done. I've been a bit lost out west because I can't get past my own childhood manners to teach my kids to call grownups by their first names which seems to be the norm here. My poor compromise is to refer to them as Mr. Bob and Ms. Jane because I often don't know the last name since that isn't common here. People just introduce themselves by their first names. :D Easy enough, right. I'm trying to be polite, but polite has changed since I was taught manners.

No polite hasn't changed just what people expect and value has changed. I think there should be a distinction between age groups which has a connotation of respect for age that says I value you b/c of your position/title. He who is older should be wiser and is not a peer to one who is younger. There should be a different demeanor/posture one takes with authority figures. An adult has authority (or should have authority) in the presence of children. The distinction should be clear and therefore acknowledged through the title of Mr./Ms. Familiarity breeds contempt. IMHO w/o the title the lines are blurred and very easily leads to treatment that says you are not worthy of honor as an authority figure so I can treat you like I treat a peer.

OK...did I just take that way too far?:lol: Honestly I think we have lost what it means to value those who are older in high esteem. The title is just a small piece of the whole respect thing between age groups but it is a start.

Well, my own kids call me Farrar, so I think it might be a lost cause getting them to be more formal with most adults. :D

First name is the overwhelming norm in all our social circles. I try to ask adults what they prefer, but when there are a dozen other adults all doing it one way, it's easy to forget and make assumptions.

Being called Miss FirstName is actually one of my pet peeves, I am not a preschool teacher! If a family insists on a title I would prefer to be called Mrs. Lastname. My first preference is just my first name.

Honestly I feel the most respectful option is to call others as they wish, which is why I always ask.

:iagree: I don't know why but Miss firstname drives me insane. I'd rather just be called by my first name. However, I prefer my kids to say Mr.(s) Lastname or Sir/Mam with adults, but if those adults have kids I'd just prefer they use my firstname over Miss Firstname.:confused:

Edited by hmschooln

My kids use ma'am and sir, so they may wish to call us that, but I teach them to always call a person older than them by their title till invited otherwise. My first name sounds like a last name, and my last name is very common, and sounds like my mother-in-law, so most kids who have known me a long time, call me "Miss firstname", like in Montessouri. Once my Scouts go over to adult leaders, at 18, I tell them to call me what they want, but they just call me nothing usually.

My kids use ma'am and sir, so they may wish to call us that, but I teach them to always call a person older than them by their title till invited otherwise. My first name sounds like a last name, and my last name is very common, and sounds like my mother-in-law, so most kids who have known me a long time, call me "Miss firstname", like in Montessouri. Once my Scouts go over to adult leaders, at 18, I tell them to call me what they want, but they just call me nothing usually.

I love Ma'am & Sir, and wish we had had our dc address other adults that way from day one. But we do have them do Mr/Mrs Lastname, and that's how I prefer to be addressed, also. If another adult has their child call me either by my first name or Miss Firstname, I will of course go along with what they decide.

I still call my friends parents Mr/Mrs Lastname (it would be too weird to call them by their firstnames), but what is really funny is my friends adult children (whom we have known since they were little)calling me Mrs. Lastname, and now they are Mrs. Lastname too!!! Luckily, I only have one of those so far, so I don't feel too old.:D

It doesn't really matter *to me* what other kids call me, but my child does not call adults by their first name. He can do that when he is an older teen/adult himself.

Just out of curiosity, what if a friend said to your child, "Oh, don't call me Mrs. Jones! Just call me Sally, sweetie!"

I think there should be a distinction between age groups which has a connotation of respect for age that says I value you b/c of your position/title. He who is older should be wiser and is not a peer to one who is younger. There should be a different demeanor/posture one takes with authority figures. An adult has authority (or should have authority) in the presence of children. The distinction should be clear and therefore acknowledged through the title of Mr./Ms. Familiarity breeds contempt.

:iagree:

I loved calling my parents friend's Mrs lastname or Mr. lastname. I respected them and remembering feeling good showing that respect. I'll keep my opinion to myself about why adults today want to be called by their first names because it will only fuel a debate.

Most of the time other people's children call me Child'sName's Mom.

It depends on which child they are hanging out with by which name I am called. When a little boy talks to me I am ds7'sMom or ds11'sMom. When a teenage girl talks to me I am dd13'sMom. The boy that my daughter likes (and he likes her too) hasn't gotten up the courage to even say hi to me, so I don't know what he would call me...

I prefer to be Ms. Kel, but I think that's because before I got married I wouldn't want to torture a child by making them call me Ms. (insert crazy hard to pronounce Polish last name)

I make sure I ask other adults what they'd like my kids to call them, but don't really like when they say "oh just call me Jane" or what ever their first name is. It's just to personal to me and seems to put the kids and the adults on the same level as peers.

One of my biggest 'nails on a chalkboard' things is that in my dh's family the kids don't call their aunts and uncles by "Aunt Kel" or "Uncle Matt" they just use their first names and it drives me crazy. All my nephews and my niece call me "Aunt Kel" because I prefer it, I also have my kids call all their Aunts and Uncles using those titles.

here in Louisiana, and most of the deep South I would say, you call an older person Miss/Mr and first name.

it shows respect to an older person, instead of just calling them by the first name, yet not as formal as Mr/Mrs last name - that would be reserved for teachers, businessmen, formal relationships, but for friends we use the former.

my kids call adults mr. first name or miss first name. it isn't my preference necessarily, but it is the norm here - so we go with that. if an adult requested something different, we'd oblige. i prefer amy or miss amy, but kids can call me whatever their parents instruct them too. it's not a biggie to me. my husband just prefers his first name, but again he'll answer to anything:tongue_smilie:

No polite hasn't changed just what people expect and value has changed. I think there should be a distinction between age groups which has a connotation of respect for age that says I value you b/c of your position/title. He who is older should be wiser and is not a peer to one who is younger. There should be a different demeanor/posture one takes with authority figures. An adult has authority (or should have authority) in the presence of children. The distinction should be clear and therefore acknowledged through the title of Mr./Ms. Familiarity breeds contempt. IMHO w/o the title the lines are blurred and very easily leads to treatment that says you are not worthy of honor as an authority figure so I can treat you like I treat a peer.

OK...did I just take that way too far?:lol: Honestly I think we have lost what it means to value those who are older in high esteem. The title is just a small piece of the whole respect thing between age groups but it is a start.

ITA!

Many adults we know are called Auntie/Uncle or child's name's mom -- this is a title of respect for us. I address older people this way in some circles.

I don't know any kid who calls me by my first name, frankly. I hope they don't realize I have one!

What I really hate is nurses who call me "mom," as in, "Okay, mom, hold his arms!"

Edited by stripe

Out of respect, I have my kids say Mr./Miss first-name. If the adult prefers something else, I leave it to them to correct us.

I always tell parents that their children can call me by my first name, but they generally prefer Miss first-name.

This is us, too.

My kids call adults Mrs/Mr Lastname unless the person asks to be called something else. Some young (20ish) hockey coaches, dance teachers etc. are always known by their first names, so they go with that.

I can't stand Mrs/Mr Firstname. It's not common here and is just awkward.

I prefer for children I don't know to call me Mr. Lastname. My best friends' kids and my kids' best friends usually call me by a nickname.

Most of the time other people's children call me Child'sName's Mom.

It depends on which child they are hanging out with by which name I am called. When a little boy talks to me I am ds7'sMom or ds11'sMom. When a teenage girl talks to me I am dd13'sMom. The boy that my daughter likes (and he likes her too) hasn't gotten up the courage to even say hi to me, so I don't know what he would call me...

Is that what they call you or is that what they refer to you as amongst themselves? I just can't imagine being called Bub's Mom as in - Excuse me Bub's Mom may I have a glass of water?

:iagree:

I loved calling my parents friend's Mrs lastname or Mr. lastname. I respected them and remembering feeling good showing that respect. I'll keep my opinion to myself about why adults today want to be called by their first names because it will only fuel a debate.

I wish that weren't the case. I'm assuming that those that prefer first names would take offense?

Just out of curiosity, what if a friend said to your child, "Oh, don't call me Mrs. Jones! Just call me Sally, sweetie!"

I am curious as well.

Many adults we know are called Auntie/Uncle or child's name's mom -- this is a title of respect for us. I address older people this way in some circles.

I don't know any kid who calls me by my first name, frankly. I hope they don't realize I have one!

What I really hate is nurses who call me "mom," as in, "Okay, mom, hold his arms!"

I hate this too!

I prefer to be Ms. Kel, but I think that's because before I got married I wouldn't want to torture a child by making them call me Ms. (insert crazy hard to pronounce Polish last name)

I make sure I ask other adults what they'd like my kids to call them, but don't really like when they say "oh just call me Jane" or what ever their first name is. It's just to personal to me and seems to put the kids and the adults on the same level as peers.

One of my biggest 'nails on a chalkboard' things is that in my dh's family the kids don't call their aunts and uncles by "Aunt Kel" or "Uncle Matt" they just use their first names and it drives me crazy. All my nephews and my niece call me "Aunt Kel" because I prefer it, I also have my kids call all their Aunts and Uncles using those titles.

I don't understand how other children calling me SJ instead of Mrs. X puts me on a peer level with children. I know I am an adult, they know I am an adult, I don't see a problem. Perhaps this is a cultural thing, much the same as the use of Ma'am/Sir.

I have enjoyed this thread, it is always nice to see other opinions. :001_smile:

I prefer to be called by my first name. Most adults in their lives my dd knows by their first name. If anyone ever said they preferred something else, I'd respect that, but I'm not going to ask every adult my kids encounter what they prefer.

Honestly, I call most adults in my life by their first names, and it seems overly complicated that my kids would need to call them something else to be respectful. I'm not being disrespectful if I call my friend "Jane", why does it become disrespectful when my kid says it? In my group this seems to be the cultural norm though. I find it weird and awkward to be called Mrs./Miss anything, to be honest, though I put up with it when parents insist.

We're very informal people though, and not big on formality in any situation. I was raised in the northeast, DW in the northwest, if it matters. We currently live in the northeast.

I prefer to be called by my first name. Most adults in their lives my dd knows by their first name. If anyone ever said they preferred something else, I'd respect that, but I'm not going to ask every adult my kids encounter what they prefer.

Honestly, I call most adults in my life by their first names, and it seems overly complicated that my kids would need to call them something else to be respectful. I'm not being disrespectful if I call my friend "Jane", why does it become disrespectful when my kid says it? In my group this seems to be the cultural norm though. I find it weird and awkward to be called Mrs./Miss anything, to be honest, though I put up with it when parents insist.

:iagree: I was just going to type out a response just like this and you did the work for me ;)

My dh and I prefer that our dc use a prefix of respect (Mrs., Mr., Miss, Uncle, Aunt) with adults. Many/most of our homeschool friends have similar habits. It is becoming very uncommon, though, outside our homeschooling circle. I find that very sad.

In our martial arts academy, though, all black belt students and assistant instructors no matter what age are referred to as Mr. or Mrs./Miss last name (adults) or first name (youth). This is a definite and intentional sign of respect. I really appreciate our head instructor's emphasis on this, along with the other tenets of our martial art (e.g., courtesy, perseverence).

That's interesting. I also grew up in the south and everyone was Mr/Miss/Mrs. First Name.

Me too. That's the way it was when I was growing up and it's the same now. Pretty much every adult is Mr./Ms. First Name to ALL the kids, mine included. Even the pastors we know are Mr. First Name, or sometimes--to other kids, but not mine--Brother First Name.

This is a question that would never had occured to me until we moved to the South. Here adults refer to each other as Miss/Mr First-Name regularly. It was very stange at first but now I kind of like it. It covers the being respectful without being too formal.

Funny how too formal can vary. For me my friends and acquaintances calling me Miss firstname would feel very formal! I don't think I have ever been referred to as Miss Lastname except by complete strangers or at a very formal event (graduation ceremony, for example). I'm reasonably sure no child has ever called me Miss Anything.

I am curious what you prefer your children to call most adults. I generally ask adults what they prefer my children to call them.

I see calling someone what they prefer to be called to be the most respectful option. Personally, I don't see how adding Mr/Mrs/Miss as a prefix instills respect but perhaps this is because I was not raised that way.

I really don't see how saying Miss/Mr FirstName is much different than just saying the first name in instances outside of a classroom. Being called Miss FirstName is actually one of my pet peeves, I am not a preschool teacher! If a family insists on a title I would prefer to be called Mrs. Lastname. My first preference is just my first name.

What are your preferences?

I agree with that.

I prefer to be called by my first name, no prefix. I'm not Southern. The only person I ever called Miss Firstname was my dance teacher. Even my school teachers, who were also family friends, were called by their first names outside of school. (And then there was one summer colleague who turned out to be my HS geometry teacher... That was weird!)

My kids call most adults they know by their first name only, some by Miss/Mr/Coach Firstname, and our neighbors Mr/Mrs Lastname. It just depends on how they're introduced.

Eta: I kept my maiden name, so it's different than the kids' last name. I *am* Mrs Husband's Last Name, but, gee, that's just awkward in figuring out who people are referring to! And I rather count my friends' kids as friends, too, so it seems overly formal for them to call me something other than Angela.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

My kids usually call adults by their firstname because the adult has told them they prefer that. The exceptions are the daycare ladies from last year. We all have the kids call us Miss first name so my kids still call the ladies that. General kids in town either call me "so & so's mom" or Mrs. Lastname. THe 2 yr old I babysit calls me Aunty. I am not related to her but having a 2 yr old call me by my first name was not going to happen so when she called me that I stuck with it.

Come to think of it over the years working with kids I have been Ms. first name, so & so's mom, mom (not by my kids, I have had otehr kids stick with calling me that), teacher, Mrs Bob (inside joke with a child I cared for), Miss fun, coach, Hawkeye (by my beaver troop)and Mrs. Lastname. I think there has only been a couple kids that have ever used my first name and that is because their parents told them to, that was squashed quickly.

I prefer to be called by my first name, but I let the other parents' decide how they want me to be addressed. Some kids call me Mrs. Lastname, others call me Miss Dusty and others just call me Dusty. :) I teach my children to address other adults as Ms./Mrs./Mr. Lastname unless the other adult directs them otherwise.

I teach our kids to call adults Mr/Miss Firstname unless another title is clearly more appropriate (ie Coach Firstname). I do not ask other adults how they want to be addressed. If they have a strong preference then I expect them to make that clear the first time we meet by introducing themselves with the name they would like the kids to use. Otherwise our kids will follow the system we have taught them and they should go along with that to not confuse the kids.

I'm totally with you on this. I'm not a child's buddy, so they shouldn't address me as such.

I once read a really charming essay by a guy who declared that his kids' friends could officially start calling him by his first name when they reached the age of adulthood, which at the time was also the legal drinking age. Most of the kids considered this an extremely cool rite of passage, a signal that they had reached a new level of maturity -- many came over to his house to have a beer and call him "Bob" (or whatever his name was) sometime soon after their birthdays. Such a simple thing, but such a nice ritual, you know?

Of course, I'm one of those people who thinks our society should have more rites of passage instead of wandering vaguely and haphazardly through the maturing/aging process.

ETA: I thought the Miss/Mr. Firstname thing was weird until we moved across the Mason-Dixon line. Then it suddenly made sense.