Menu

I really, really, really hate it when people use adverbs incorrectly in front of the word 'unique.'

By definition, a thing cannot be very unique, or really unique, or extra unique, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Just say it is unique and leave it at that. If the thing actually is unique, that's enough.

Then there is the issue of the incorrect usage of the word 'coincidence,' but Seinfeld explained it best.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Dude" and "Dudette" are not new in the last 10 years. At all. I recall people saying those things when I was 6 years old. And I am not 16. :lol: And watching, say, Happy Days, shows that it predates many of the posters here.

My kids were amazed when I told them that Dude and Dudette were not new slang. The only slang I could think of that we used and they don't is "groovy".

So, anyway. AprilMay, you know I'm only kidding, right?

I feel better now. ;)

OMG...how is this page 16 already?? I'm still on page 9 reading. I don't have time to read everything now. I have to leave town for the day. Sheesh people....slow down.

Oh....there's another one: Sheesh. :001_rolleyes:

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the hive, I'll say it . . .

THESE are the Littles:

c1c28647.jpg

When you refer to your younger group of children as "littles" I cringe and wonder if their tales have been docked.

Lol, I call my children "littles" or "littlies" online as I hate "kids". They're not baby goats and frankly I can't always be bothered typing children. DC doesn't come up often in local forums so I don't tend to use that either.

I dislike preachers saying, "Let me unpack this verse (or passage) for you." (or let's see if I can unpack this verse, let's try to unpack this verse, etc.)

I think it's perfectly acceptable to say you are convicted about something or other, though. It is a correct use of the word when you feel that you really ought to be doing (or not doing) something - especially if you have recently come to the conclusion that not doing it/doing it would be sinful and transgressing God's commands. It's not a slang or aberrant use of the word so I have so problem with it at all.

Tween. And pre-tween.

Baby daddy. I was at work one day and my husband brought me my lunch. Some woman in the store said to me, "Is that your baby daddy?" I said to her, "He's my HUSBAND, if that's what you mean." She looked as if she had no idea what to say ... as if the concept of people actually being married when they have children was foreign to her.

"My bad." I HATE that! It makes me want to ask, "Your bad what? Mistake? Attitude? Breath?" Bad is an adjective -- not a noun.

I read this to my dh. He suggested using "My badness." ;)

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

"One of the only."

Its lazy. It should be either "the only" or it's "one of the few". I know it's tough to be sure if something is "the only". /But if you don't know, research it or err on the side of "one of the few".

and in a similar vein

-- between when it's used with more than two people/things. You can be between two things, like a rock and a hard place; otherwise you are among them.

-- the other alternative. There is only ever one alternative; otherwise there are choices, options, etc.

And adding

-- adjectives used as adverbs, "I'm good"

-- verbs endings in -ed when there is another choice; shined, shone; dwelled, dwelt. This doesn't make me angry so much as sad.

FWIW, on of my favorite books when I was growing up was Fowler's Modern English Usage (the second edition, not the more recent 2004 third edition). Lots of these are available at Abebooks for $1. I'd highly recommend it for people who are conservative and particular about language.

Tween. And pre-tween.

Baby daddy. I was at work one day and my husband brought me my lunch. Some woman in the store said to me, "Is that your baby daddy?" I said to her, "He's my HUSBAND, if that's what you mean." She looked as if she had no idea what to say ... as if the concept of people actually being married when they have children was foreign to her.

Tara

This reminds me of a time I went to the local social services office because I had been asked to help with their breastfeeding class. I was about seven months pregnant with my third. I was sitting in the lobby, waiting for the woman that was in charge of the class to come meet me and this man sat next to me. At first, I thought he was just trying to have a friendly chat, but then he started asking me things that made me feel like he was hitting on me (ick! I was pregnant!). I guess he assumed I was there to apply for some sort of services, because he said, "It's a shame that you have to sit up here all alone. You better make sure you get the daddy of that baby to step up and pay child support and not leave you to raise it all by yourself."

:001_huh:

I said, "Um, well my HUSBAND gladly takes care of me and all of our children."

He looked shocked and then commented about how it was surprising to see a women who not only was married, but who had children with only one man. :confused:

It is quite possibly one of the strangest coversations I have ever had in my life.

"Organic" or "grassroots" when not referring to chemistry, food or gardening. Usually used with previously mentioned words - "Organic synergy."

"Sissy" when referring to a sister, but usually a daughter. "Sissy will help you with your shoes."

My younger brother called me Sissy until he was nine or ten. My son calls his older sister, "Sissy" as well.

Actually, my two SILs still call each other Sissy. lol

who had children with only one man. :confused:

I was out with three women friends once. Each is divorced and each has children from more than one relationship. They were discussing the struggles of being single parents and dealing with exes, and one of them said to me, "You're lucky that all your kids have the same father." I reflected upon this for a moment and then said, "Actually, I'm the only one here whose kids ALL have different fathers." (We're an adoptive family.)

:D

(And yes, I know that my dh and I are our kids' parents. It was just interesting to think about.)

Tara

It is quite possibly one of the strangest coversations I have ever had in my life.

I have to say, I had a woman I know, who's never actually seen my husband, who asked me about him when my first kid was born, then proceeded to tell me it was not possible he is the father of that child because of how that child looks (too much like me). Honestly, I don't know what she meant to say, but I am still a bit hurt by that. Strange that neither my husband nor his family has any such doubt.

My younger brother called me Sissy until he was nine or ten. My son calls his older sister, "Sissy" as well.
There are some nurses at my kids' pediatricians' office who refer to my daughter as "Sissy" (not her name, obviously) when talking to my son. I am not really sure they know what that means. It's hilarious.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the hive, I'll say it . . .

THESE are the Littles:

c1c28647.jpg

When you refer to your younger group of children as "littles" I cringe and wonder if their tales have been docked.

We call our two youngest girls "the littles", even in conversation. :tongue_smilie: The older children do it too. It's how we distinguish between the "older children" and the "younger children". It's "the big ones" and "the littles" in our house. :blush:

"Sissy" when referring to a sister, but usually a daughter. "Sissy will help you with your shoes."

This drives me crazy, too. I want to shout, "She has a name!"

Prolly. (Had to type that twice, because my computer's autocorrect changed it to "probably". :) )

Love me some, had me some, etc.

Preggers. (ewww)

"Organic" or "grassroots" when not referring to chemistry, food or gardening. Usually used with previously mentioned words - "Organic synergy."

YES! We give our children names lol! We had some friends who were really bad about this...

Similarly, 'Bubby' when referring to the brother. :ack2:

I dislike preachers saying, "Let me unpack this verse (or passage) for you." (or let's see if I can unpack this verse, let's try to unpack this verse, etc.)

I think it's perfectly acceptable to say you are convicted about something or other, though. It is a correct use of the word when you feel that you really ought to be doing (or not doing) something - especially if you have recently come to the conclusion that not doing it/doing it would be sinful and transgressing God's commands. It's not a slang or aberrant use of the word so I have so problem with it at all.

Agreed. Unpack annoys me.

Tween. And pre-tween.

Tara

First off, what on earth is a pre-tween? Wouldn't that just be a child? :lol:

Tween itself doesn't bother me.

I find Baby Daddy...just...kind of tasteless.

I was just about to post this one!

Another one that drives me nuts is "action" when used as a verb. As in, "What a great idea! Action that right away!"

Dh has been reading this thread over my shoulder, and says that "architect" is also slipping into use as a verb. "We're architecting some fabulous new plans for the future!"

and in a similar vein

-- between when it's used with more than two people/things. You can be between two things, like a rock and a hard place; otherwise you are among them.

-- the other alternative. There is only ever one alternative; otherwise there are choices, options, etc.

And adding

-- adjectives used as adverbs, "I'm good"

-- verbs endings in -ed when there is another choice; shined, shone; dwelled, dwelt. This doesn't make me angry so much as sad.

FWIW, on of my favorite books when I was growing up was Fowler's Modern English Usage (the second edition, not the more recent 2004 third edition). Lots of these are available at Abebooks for $1. I'd highly recommend it for people who are conservative and particular about language.

Alternative-there can be more than one alternative. It isn't exclusive to 2 items.

How about "wrap your head around" or "wrap your mind around" -- I don't care for this statement at all. I heard my minister say it this am in his sermon. Also "hey" or "hey, Hey" as in "Hey good morning!" I heard two ministers and one other person greet the audience today with this phrase. I think they are trying to talk like the culture of today.

Also "hey" or "hey, Hey" as in "Hey good morning!" I heard two ministers and one other person greet the audience today with this phrase. I think they are trying to talk like the culture of today.

Are they southern? "Hey" is a standard greeting all the time here. I use it constantly (both speaking & in writing), myself.

Are they southern? "Hey" is a standard greeting all the time here. I use it constantly (both speaking & in writing), myself.

I've heard "hey" used all my life, and I'm from MI and OH (and it doesn't seem overused).

ETA: Dictionary.com says its origin is: 1150-1200; Middle English hei.

Who knew?

Edited by gardening momma

Well I was going to say we are in MI but then gardening momma said

I've heard "hey" used all my life, and I'm from MI and OH (and it doesn't seem overused).

I was raised in OH and now live in MI but I haven't heard it used very much, Only at church from the ministerial staff. Maybe I will have to listen better.

ETA: Dictionary.com says its origin is: 1150-1200; Middle English hei.

I wonder if this was German and then hei might be pronounced "hi."

That was going to be mine! It's especially annoying when you by anyone over 35.

YES, to this!

Others that bother me:

incorrect and overuse of "like"

OMG

my bad

Catch phrases in general bother me.

ETA:

Shut up!

Shut the front door!

Get you some

Literally (when used in every other sentence)

Edited by LazyDazy

YES! We give our children names lol! We had some friends who were really bad about this...

Similarly, 'Bubby' when referring to the brother. :ack2:

Agreed. Unpack annoys me.

First off, what on earth is a pre-tween? Wouldn't that just be a child? :lol:

Tween itself doesn't bother me.

lol. You all would really hate it at my house, because we call my son Bubba or Bubby too. lol

Adults (or anyone over the age of 5) who say "I need to go potty" :smash:

I do this and don't realize it. :blush: I guess I've gotten so used to saying it to the children, that I forget!

Ginormous

I say this:D

I know, right?

my bad

prolly[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

Ridonculous

QUOTE]

I say this too.:D

First, I would like to agree with most of the prior posts.

I would also like to add the word "word" when used as an interjection.

These are examples of typical conversations with a former coworker.

Every time I hear "word" I always want to answer, "to your mother":lol:

The word that is bugging me the most right now, because my son says it incessently, "Epic" :tongue_smilie: Oh, and "lolz"

Can we have a whole category for adult baby-talk? We can just get rid of all those words where you say /ē/ at the end (or instead of the end) of a real word.

Kindy

Breakie

Sposies

Hubby

Mathy

I know some of those are borrowed from Australia (?) but that doesn't make it right.

Also, our British friends need to give "brilliant" a rest. It's said as often as American teens say 'like' and it's become just as painful to my ears. Yes, I'm sure they care how my ears feel. :D