Menu

Has anyone else been banned by a particular company from ever buying their materials because, over time (5 years), you bought and returned too many items? I can see their point, I suppose. It was the insinuation that I was 'stealing their intellectual property' that got me. Apparently, their lawyers say I am a risk?! Of what I would like to know...indecision? hard to fit kids?:confused:

Now I would not even want to use anything from them again anyway. I am so embarrassed and feel like crying. It was so hard to figure out what level I needed and when so I kept buying the different guides to see them in hand. I am sadden because I really like their books and approach. Now I have to start over.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else been banned by a particular company from ever buying their materials because, over time (5 years), you bought and returned too many items? I can see their point, I suppose. It was the insinuation that I was 'stealing their intellectual property' that got me. Apparently, their lawyers say I am a risk?! Of what I would like to know...indecision? hard to fit kids?:confused:

Now I would not even want to use anything from them again anyway. I am so embarrassed and feel like crying. It was so hard to figure out what level I needed and when so I kept buying the different guides to see them in hand. I am sadden because I really like their books and approach. Now I have to start over.

Wow, I would SO respond to their attorneys.

How many items did you return? Was it within a short period of time? A few items over the course of 5 years would seem entirely reasonable, but if you seemed to be buying a new grade level every fall, and then returning it within a few weeks, maybe I could understand their point of view. (As an example, if I bought a first grade guide in August and then returned it in September, and the next August I bought the second grade guide and returned it soon afterward, and the third year, I did the same thing with the third grade guide... it might look like I was copying and returning the guides.)

I'm trying to figure out why they would assume you were copying and returning their materials. Was there some sort of pattern to your purchasing and returning the items?

I, for one, would like to know the name of the company, because if they are sending letters that say their attorneys consider you a risk, that's a company I may want to think twice about before I deal with them.

I hope you can post more details. I'm sorry you got such a nasty letter. :grouphug:

How many items did you return? Was it within a short period of time? A few items over the course of 5 years would seem entirely reasonable, but if you seemed to be buying a new grade level every fall, and then returning it within a few weeks, maybe I could understand their point of view. (As an example, if I bought a first grade guide in August and then returned it in September, and the next August I bought the second grade guide and returned it soon afterward, and the third year, I did the same thing with the third grade guide... it might look like I was copying and returning the guides.)

I'm trying to figure out why they would assume you were copying and returning their materials. Was there some sort of pattern to your purchasing and returning the items?

I, for one, would like to know the name of the company, because if they are sending letters that say their attorneys consider you a risk, that's a company I may want to think twice about before I deal with them.

I hope you can post more details. I'm sorry you got such a nasty letter. :grouphug:

:iagree:

I've got my bet placed already . . . just a wild guess, based on this company's past history . . .

:iagree:

Ok, I'm dying to know what company. I'm paranoid this'll happen to me!

I also want to know just because I like to avoid crazy businesses. :tongue_smilie:

I've heard of this and I think I know which company you are referring to.

I think it's sad, especially since this company that I'm thinking of, likes to make a big deal about the way they'll let you "Try out" their curriculum.

Wow, that puts a particular company in my mind and I would be very interested to know if it's them or not. My opinion of the company I'm thinking of has been dropping for a while now, but this would pretty much be the nail in the coffin in my opinion (for me and my dealings with them).

I'd like to know,too.

I homeschool 5 kids and they are all over the place in view of ability and prior learning...and ease of teaching for me. I just ordered 3 of the same level handwriting -which was below all of their official grade level- because I like to take handwriting slow and because it is easier to do all 3 kids at the same time...I did have a passing thought as to what if anything the curr. company would think about that...

it is very hard to order online without being able to leaf through the material and imagine your kids using it.

I'm so sorry. I think I would write back and let them know what you think of their super PR skills.

I have heard of clothing stores doing that when people buy up a ton of merchandise when it was full-price, taking a lot of time deciding what to keep and then returning a lot of NWT items after the store has them marked down to clearance or does not have them at all. And that makes sense.

But this sounds a little off to me. As publishers of homeschooling curriculum they likely know there is little way to see stuff without buying it and then deciding. Post their name so the rest of us know who to avoid. :001_smile:

That's who I was thinking of. I've never even used their materials or ordered from them, but I've heard stories.

I am a long term user and in the years since John left have bought less and less directly from them, until this year $0 of my curriculum dollars went to them.

I am saddened, a little, but not in the least surprised (which is the part that saddens me, really) that everyone's mind went straight to them. My own mind included.

OP, I do hope you'll either confirm or deny so we can stop speculating.

Wow, that puts a particular company in my mind and I would be very interested to know if it's them or not. My opinion of the company I'm thinking of has been dropping for a while now, but this would pretty much be the nail in the coffin in my opinion (for me and my dealings with them).

I'm a wondering too

That would be my guess. I cut all ties with them years ago when they decided that their public message boards were giving away too much free advice and restricted access.

Pegasus

That's when I left too. I was one of the ones providing the free advice, but a new, complete core has never been something within my budget.

If this is the case, then I can see their point of view. Frankly, though, I am surprised they keep such a close watch on the returns that they would notice things coming back from one buyer.

My money is on Sonlight. I couldn't stand John anyway (too know-it-all preachy), but when they shut down access to their message boards, and did the whole "if you really love us you will buy complete levels not just our IG's! (regardless if you already own all the books)", it was like ok, whatever, so long. Then, I found out that the Holzman's sent their own kids to a B&M for high school, so it's like huh? :001_huh: why would I buy your product anyway?

It's gotta be Sonlight. Nothing they did would surprise me. :bigear:

I could see where the company might get suspicious when someone has been buying curriculum and returning it for a while. I have never thought about returning curriculum. most places I know charge a reshelving cost if you return something. the re-shelving cost plus return postage adds up, making the thought of returning very fleeting.