Menu

I just received an email from the school wanting to know . . .

what type of elctronic device my child will be bringing to school for doing their work next year. Of course, the children will be required to sign their device onto the schools' secure networks. :001_huh: Umm, I don't think so. If you want them to use an electronic device that part of your secure network, then you need to provide it. My children's personal electronic items will remain part of our private, well protected network.

Is this High School or College? And do they really need to bring a device to school to learn? How did we ever graduate before laptops and i phones?

I can see using a computer to do your papers, use online resources for research, etc., but would this not be done at home?

:confused: Wow. What ever happened to the school computer lab?

Digitial conversion is on the horizon for districts across the nation, and laptops or netbooks will be at every desk. Traditional textbooks will be gone. Paper and pencil will be minimal. Our district is targeting 2014 for full conversion.

This school district is the model, and is hosting many visiting staff members from other schools.

http://www.edweek.org/dd/articles/2011/10/19/01conversion.h05.html?tkn=XVQFjDNZUrbRFEJWIBM%2FXnXlVdLA6jDRmzmu&cmp=clp-edweek

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703445904576118173387952368.html

In our district, every child grades 5-12, gets a laptop provided by the school. The elementary and jr high students use them only for schoolwork AT SCHOOL but then can do whatever from home. But in high school? Oh my goodness! These kids are on video games NO LESS than half the day. SUre, they are physics game type stuff most of the time (though some kids have hacked it to play WOW or whatever); but whenever you walk into a classroom, the majority of the class is playing video games! It's almost like the new doodling! I seriously doubt they are learning as much as they could and should be. In fact, I know they aren't. THe average 11th grader reads so poorly that I'd be concerned if it were my 5th grader. Their math is atrocious. ANd the list goes on. The schools that are SO good in early elementary slip FAST in the later grades and I would guess that the computers are a big part of that. I also worked in a nearby district where computers aren't used. They *are* missing out on some things; however, classes are academic, not game, focused.

I would say that dc are not bringing any devices. Well, that would be true for us, as dc have no portable electronic devices. But, if they did, nothing would go to school -- don't want them lost. In any case, out schools have a policy of no electronics. Cell phones must be locked in lockers during the day, or they will be confiscated.

Your school's question disturbs me on many levels. What about kids in different economic situations? The well-off have access, but others don't? That alone makes my blood boil.

Privacy would be another giant issue. When I read the fine print of our school's policy on using school computers to my ds, he was shocked. The school has a right to monitor all communications -- I told him that was typical. Never would I connect my own device to a school network without reading every agreement & policy. One thing that comes to mind is a case, last year I think, when a school activates the camera on school-provided computers that were taken home.

I'm sure others will weigh in on education value (or lack therof) of all these electronics.

Is this High School or College? And do they really need to bring a device to school to learn? How did we ever graduate before laptops and i phones?

I can see using a computer to do your papers, use online resources for research, etc., but would this not be done at home?

Elementary through high. All textbooks and supplements will be on-line.

Our school district has been known to contact parents with requests that they purchase their own computer, and band/orchestra instruments as the school does not have the financial capability to provide for everyone. This is sometimes met by a new PTA fundraiser and sometimes parents just buy for their own student.

This absolutely baffles me. Yesterday there was a thread about a school where there will be 60 Kers with 2 teachers because the school is making cutbacks. Today this thread describing schools where each student is supplied with an Ipad or Mac. Why don't they go back to buying workbooks, paper and pencils and hire more teachers? Are these people completely insane?

This absolutely baffles me. Yesterday there was a thread about a school where there will be 60 Kers with 2 teachers because the school is making cutbacks. Today this thread describing schools where each student is supplied with an Ipad or Mac. Why don't they go back to buying workbooks, paper and pencils and hire more teachers? Are these people completely insane?

Well, in the long run, electronic based learning should be a lot cheaper. Cuts down on printing costs, shipping costs, storing costs, etc. Easier to upgrade texts every year or when changes are needed. Less money spent on school supplies.

Easier to upgrade texts every year

I used to work in educational publishing. Texts are only updated every year or two because they can suckers schools into buying updated texts. The changes are cosmetic, at best, in most cases. It's a real racket. If information really needed to be changed, it certainly could be without re-issuing a brand-new textbook.

Tara

The school WANTS them to bring in a device? Or they just want them signed into the school's network if they do bring one?

I got the impression they wanted to know what students are up to (during school hours on school property) online. How is that a bad thing?

Remember that story where some school was video monitoring kids in their homes from their laptops or something? The laptops had webcams that could activated remotely. School computers scare me. :P

I think if I was in that situation I'd want my kids to use school computers to school and home computers at home, and home computers would not be part of a school "network" thank-you-very-much.

I would respond with a brief note stating that you are looking forward to learning more about these fantastic new virtual textbooks and receiving information about what devices the school will be providing for the student's use.

I guarantee you won't be the only parent saying no way to sending your personally owned electronics in for the school district to compromise.

I feel this way about cell phones, too. I once worked a job that provided two way radios for communication between staff members while out on the grounds of the facility. However, staff members were told to stay off the radios and use our personal cell phones instead, because the local news outlets were always monitoring our transmissions for juicy tidbits. I never brought my cell phone onto the job. I told my supervisor that info trolling was a security issue that shouldn't be resolved via the employees' personal property and I'd stay on the radio until the company provided secure cell phones for use on site.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out. I think technology changes faster than textbooks. If we all think textbook sales are a racket, I can't wait to see the fallout from the technology-replacement antics that are bound to arise as each year's device becomes "obsolete."

I believe that's the way of the future, but it does surprise me that at that grade level the student is required to provide it him/herself, especially if it's a public school. Maybe there is more to the story?

As far as the security of networks at schools, from my little knowledge of the one in our town, they seem to be very secure, even moreso than ones friends of mine have in their homes. They are blocked from many sites, including Facebook.

The school WANTS them to bring in a device? Or they just want them signed into the school's network if they do bring one?

I got the impression they wanted to know what students are up to (during school hours on school property) online. How is that a bad thing?

No they want the student to bring their own personal device and hook it up to the school system which leads to privacy issues because they have access to everything on your child's computer - including things done at home that are of no business of the school system. Plus there was that incident where the school was spying on children at home through the computers over their school nextwork

No they want the student to bring their own personal device and hook it up to the school system which leads to privacy issues because they have access to everything on your child's computer - including things done at home that are of no business of the school system. Plus there was that incident where the school was spying on children at home through the computers over their school nextwork

Really, wow, just wow here. *if* my kids were in school, no way no how would their electronic devices be hooked up to the school, so the school could monitor. Besides, my kids do not even have their own laptops, we share 3 laptops among the 4 of us. Haha, I can imagine the school monitoring my laptop and reading this thread :lol:

~coffee~

It's completely insane. Our district is spending $10,000+/per student/year...and turning out kids that can't read, write and make change. (And they just supplied iPads for every K'er in the district.

Remember that story where some school was video monitoring kids in their homes from their laptops or something? The laptops had webcams that could activated remotely. School computers scare me. :P

I think if I was in that situation I'd want my kids to use school computers to school and home computers at home, and home computers would not be part of a school "network" thank-you-very-much.

:iagree:

There is NO way I would agree to this...

Well, in the long run, electronic based learning should be a lot cheaper. Cuts down on printing costs, shipping costs, storing costs, etc. Easier to upgrade texts every year or when changes are needed. Less money spent on school supplies.

As opposed to new computers for everyone every 3 years? Technology is moving at a faster pace than textbooks get rewritten.

I really wonder how effective this will be. I love being able to read books on my iPad, but I find myself jumping from reading, to creating a few more eggs to hatch in Pocket Frogs, to checking facebook, back to reading for a bit, to checking an ebay auction, to checking in on TWTM....It's not the same focused, concentrated "Reading" that I do with a print book, and it's not even as focused as what I do on the computer.

What I've seen here is that high school math classes use a fairly specific, expensive graphing calculator, and that the school has some in each classroom, library, and study hall for students to use who don't own one-but that if you don't own one, you're going to be struggling to get the assignments done outside of class during the time that you can access somewhere the calculators are available for checkout. In our middle class suburb, parents gripe, but buy the calculators.

I assume that netbooks/tablets would be the same thing-that there would be some available at school for students to use who cannot purchase one (a public school really can't require that the parent come up with materials for a required class. The main reason why they can say that you have to own an instrument for band/orchestra is that those AREN'T required and there are other classes that fill the same niche that don't require the instrument), but that it would be quite difficult, if the textbooks are all on the computer, to do work at home without having the computer. And, I suspect, the high speed internet connection, because from what I've seen the digital editions often aren't downloaded to your local system-they're accessed online.

That would be interesting if it happened here. We have 2 desk top computers. DS has a cracked iPod, and dd has a DSi. We do not have a device like a laptop or Ipad that they could use and would not be able to buy one either. Heck when my kids were in ps, we had to get their supplies from one of those charities that gives a backpack of supplies, I could not even afford those one I finished paying all the school fees and bus fees etc.

:iagree: Ebooks are not significantly cheaper (to the purchaser) than regular books, so they may be EASIER to upgrade but they won't be cheaper. And every online textbook I've looked at has been licensed, as opposed to being bought outright, so the school will end up having to pay for them EVERY year, not just every 2-3 years.

As opposed to new computers for everyone every 3 years? Technology is moving at a faster pace than textbooks get rewritten.

Ever watch how kids treat things that are free? Issued computers won't last even three years.

Yeah I'm not seeing the cheaper part really.

A nearby wealthy school district is experimenting with this in some of the classrooms. My friend is a librarian for the middle school (5th and 6th), so she told me about it.

There is a special name for that type of class. The kids are required to bring a device from home. Most kids bring smart phones or ipads. A couple bring laptops. There are two devices available for checkout in the library, but nobody uses them.

All of the other students are supposed to keep their devices put away. She said it is confusing because she'll go to reprimand kids for texting in the library, only to find out they are doing school work.:tongue_smilie:

The elementary kids in that district are required to use computers at home. The district has adopted some "paperless" curriculum. She said the biggest problem is having multiple family members who now want to be on the computer. Nobody has complained about not having a computer at home.

I would not want the school & district to have access inside our home.

e-book are not cheaper...:iagree:

It hasn't been mentioned yet but what about the negatives of long-term technology usage for children? I cannot believe they would put these children on digital devices for the majority of their day without considering the potential negative side effects.

Giving first graders laptops (or netbooks or whatever you want to call them) is also a huge irresponsible use of taxpayer money. They can't even take care of their kickballs and jackets.

According to the California Williams Act 35186 every single student must be provided their own textbook and instructional materials. I imagine other states have similar laws. No way would I allow myself to be forced into supplying any of the above in a public school setting.

Unless there is more background to this situation, I would reply that my child will be using whatever electronic device the school issues to him. I would not be sending electronics to school except for the TI calculator for high school math courses (which can be used for college math as well). If the school wants a child using a computer or iPad during school, the school can provide it.

Is it possible that the school is asking the question not to require parents to send laptops or iPads with their dc, but so it can plan any upgrades its network needs so it can accommodate whatever devices students want to bring to school?

I didn't see in your OP that the school was requiring you to send a device to school with your kid. It just sounded like they wanted to control it's use on school property if they did bring one. It's extending that control into your home on your computer that's the problem. :glare: Since my router has a range of about 300', I wasn't thinking they would be able to monitor the student on his or her own time. Ick. :tongue_smilie:

If they were doing it to address a problem with students surfing youtube all day on their ipads etc., it might make sense. This would be a tricky thing for them to deal with. Not sure how they could on student's own device without invading their privacy. I'm pretty sure my kid would refuse to take his computer to school under those circumstances (Actually, I'm certain he knows more about keeping people out of his business than they do. ;)).

The school should absolutely be providing laptops if they're requiring them. They should also have full control of the use of those devices with full disclosure about what that means up front ("We will be looking at your files, tracking internet history...."). I would do no less in my own home for my own student's computer use during the school day.

On your own computer though, you should be able to expect privacy.

I never realized schools could monitor students' private info., emails and such simply because they were logged into the school's server, until...

I recently listened to this interview on "The Story" http://thestory.org/archive/The_Story_112911.mp3/view

It follows the journey of a homeschooled boy who entered ps high school and eventually hacked the school's computer system because he was appalled by the unjust policies and practices. Very interesting and eye-opening on so many levels.

From his experience, it seemed that passwords entered on any device while using the school's network were stored, so that students' emails and other private accounts could be accessed by the admin. at any time.

For this reason, students shouldn't be logging into any of their private accounts while at school, no matter which device they use :tongue_smilie:.

I never realized schools could monitor students' private info., emails and such simply because they were logged into the school's server, until...

I recently listened to this interview on "The Story" http://thestory.org/archive/The_Story_112911.mp3/view

It follows the journey of a homeschooled boy who entered ps high school and eventually hacked the school's computer system because he was appalled by the unjust policies and practices. Very interesting and eye-opening on so many levels.

From his experience, it seemed that passwords entered on any device while using the school's network were stored, so that students' emails and other private accounts could be accessed by the admin. at any time.

For this reason, students shouldn't be logging into any of their private accounts while at school, no matter which device they use :tongue_smilie:.

:001_huh::blink: Wow.

I love The Story on NPR. Will have to listen to this one-thanks for sharing.

When I was in school my dad set up a dummy email that all us kids had access to so that we could email papers and what not to ourselves and only had to log into the dummy account. We had AOL (long time ago lol) and my father was concerned with our login being compromised if we logged into our email on the school's network.

I would imagine that there are students who don't have any such device and the school will have to provide one for them. Such a device should be used for school work only and shut down and put into the backpack when done. ;)

I hate the trend of everything going digital. :confused: The colleges try to get you to buy the digital texts as they price them much lower than the actual books. I'd rather a used text any day. The only time I find the online versions awesome is when they're interactive - such as for a foreign language.

I didn't see in your OP that the school was requiring you to send a device to school with your kid. It just sounded like they wanted to control it's use on school property if they did bring one. It's extending that control into your home on your computer that's the problem. :glare: Since my router has a range of about 300', I wasn't thinking they would be able to monitor the student on his or her own time. Ick. :tongue_smilie:

If they were doing it to address a problem with students surfing youtube all day on their ipads etc., it might make sense. This would be a tricky thing for them to deal with. Not sure how they could on student's own device without invading their privacy. I'm pretty sure my kid would refuse to take his computer to school under those circumstances (Actually, I'm certain he knows more about keeping people out of his business than they do. ;)).

The school should absolutely be providing laptops if they're requiring them. They should also have full control of the use of those devices with full disclosure about what that means up front ("We will be looking at your files, tracking internet history...."). I would do no less in my own home for my own student's computer use during the school day.

On your own computer though, you should be able to expect privacy.

No, right now policy is that any devices brought to school must be turned off and kept in lockers during the school day. They are allowed to use them before first bell and after school lets out. If they need to call a parent during school hours they must use a school phone. Now they are wanting kids to bring their devices for use in school. The initiative is called BYOT. This is one of the emails that I received:

Hello ___________ County Schools parents of students in kindergarten through eleventh grade. This is ___________, communications director. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m calling tonight to let you know about a survey we will be conducting beginning Monday night regarding the expansion of the Bring Your Own Technology initiative.

Next fall, the district will expand the program to elementary, middle and high schools. Tomorrow night I will call to find out what type of device your child will bring to school next year. The BYOT initiative stipulates the devices must have a fully functional Internet browser and also allow for students to connect through a secure login provided by Williamson County Schools. You will be asked to listen to the following questions and select the best answer for your child.

If your child will not bring a device to school, press 1.

If your child does not own a device but you plan to make a purchase prior to the start of school, press 2.

If your child will bring a Windows device such as a PC laptop, netbook or smart phone, press 3.

If your child will bring an Apple device such as an iPhone, iPad, MacBook or iPod, press 4.

If your child will bring an Android device such as a smartphone or tablet, press 5.

Again, I will be calling you tomorrow night at 7. Thank you.

We have been told a device will be required and I think that if the student does not own a device and can not afford one they school will provide one for that school year. I might could see the need at the high school level and that most teenagers would have some device but the majority of elementary students won't have one and only about half the middle school student do. I have a problem with the school requiring the students to have an expensive piece of equipment and there is no way in heck that I will allow the school to have access to my children's personal devices. I have no idea why they would want to know what type of device. Maybe they are wanting to use that info to find a program that will work on the majority of the students devices. I plan to check one. My children own their own personal devices but I will not be sending them to school to be put on the school network.

So, here's an interesting question, KH. If a kid's parents decide not to have their child bring a device for school purposes, but take the smart phone, iPod, etc for personal reasons, will the school then force the kid to log onto the school's network with their personal device (assuming it's seen prior to being turned off & placed in the locker)? Regardless of the parent's wishes?

So, here's an interesting question, KH. If a kid's parents decide not to have their child bring a device for school purposes, but take the smart phone, iPod, etc for personal reasons, will the school then force the kid to log onto the school's network with their personal device (assuming it's seen prior to being turned off & placed in the locker)? Regardless of the parent's wishes?

I am pretty sure that they will be a consent form as we had to sign one just for the kids to use the school's computers. If that is the case, I most certainly won't be signing it and if not them devices will stay at home suring school hours.

It hasn't been mentioned yet but what about the negatives of long-term technology usage for children? I cannot believe they would put these children on digital devices for the majority of their day without considering the potential negative side effects.

I've never seen any research backing this up, but I can tell you what I observed. I left teaching in 1994, when personal computers weren't yet in every home and kids didn't spend hours on various other electronic devices. I went back as a sub just this year. The biggest change I noticed is that their listening skills were much, much worse. If something wasn't backed up by written words or other visual, it didn't register for many students.

Yes. Yes, they are completely insane.

You are thinking too logically here, unlike any bureaucrat.

I also want to add in CA there is a new law prohibiting public schools from asking parents to supply ANY NEEDED SUPPLIES for the school year. No letters asking to bring in crayons, violins for string class, and absolutely no expensive electronic devices. I have written dozens of letters for the PTSA this year asking for 'donations' for various classes. I believe the law is that teachers can ask for donations just not require things, but our district took it a stem further and is having the PTA's do all the asking to cover their rear ends, just in case.

We have been told a device will be required and I think that if the student does not own a device and can not afford one they school will provide one for that school year. I might could see the need at the high school level and that most teenagers would have some device but the majority of elementary students won't have one and only about half the middle school student do. I have a problem with the school requiring the students to have an expensive piece of equipment and there is no way in heck that I will allow the school to have access to my children's personal devices. I have no idea why they would want to know what type of device. Maybe they are wanting to use that info to find a program that will work on the majority of the students devices. I plan to check one. My children own their own personal devices but I will not be sending them to school to be put on the school network.

This just leaves me flabbergasted. What makes them think elementary students will keep track of this stuff? and not break it? or lose it?

I sure hope that the school has insurance, because it would be awful for a parent to have to pay if something like that were lost or damaged.

I feel so bad for you!

Edited by Alessandra

Adding a personal device to a school/work/free network does NOT require giving the school/work/free network access to everything on your child's computer.