Menu

Question for Protestants, regarding sermons

My husband is a preacher and he prefers to preach expository. He doesn't mind a topical sermon (and even gives them from time to time), but most preachers/pastors dive headfirst into prooftexting by preaching topically which is one of my dh's pet peeves. Recently he's been preaching from the book of Isaiah. He just starts at the beginning and goes straight through a book.

I like expository preaching better just because it lends itself more to a combination of history and religion. You need to set up the circumstances of the people and their lives at that time to understand why xx chapter or xx verses were written. But I love to study history and religion in context.

I'm really enjoying the expository preaching that our current pastor has been doing. I think it lends itself to talking about more things, as they come up in the text. Topical preaching is somewhat limited by the imagination of the pastor, and can fall victim to prooftexting and taking verses out of context.

Do you prefer expository preaching or topical sermons? Why?

Hands down, expository.

To get the context and the full depth of the passage, reading it in context is invaluable.

Then, again, our pastor has been preaching through John for a couple of years now (with occasional topical series or special service sermons - baptisms, Christmas, etc.)

I like a combination of both. Next week our pastor will start working through Song of Solomon. He just finished a series on hearing God. I benefit from both. Many years ago, I had ancestor at a different church work through Revelation. I loved that series, he just worked through the book over a couple of months.

I will say, I definitely prefer a series over a few weeks or a couple of months to a random lesson that lasts one week. I like to go more in depth with studies. I never got much out of sermons at the church I grew up in, everywhere was something completely different, since it was one 20 minute sermon on a topic I never felt there was enough depth of study for me.

We follow the Common Lectionary, so our clergy preach on one of the passages--either Old/New Testament lesson or the Psalm (rarely the Psalm! lol). Because of the lectionary, we cover the whole bible every 3 years (well, almost the whole bible...:001_smile:).

That said, once in a great while dh will go "off road" and preach on a topic not covered in the Scripture for that Sunday.

Expository. It forces you to deal with difficult passages. It allows you to get a sense of what the Bible says over and over again instead of what a pastor likes to preach about over and over again. I also think it would be easier for a pastor. You don't have to figure out what you are preaching about that week. You just move on to the next set of verses.

We've been in churches that have done topical and are now in a church that does expository. I must say I feel like I've learned a lot from the expository teaching that I never noticed before. We finished Luke recently and there were so many passages about them moving towards Jerusalem... always pressing forward to the cross. It was interesting to notice that because I never would have picked that up from topical preaching. But you catch things that are mentioned week after week.

We follow the Common Lectionary, so our clergy preach on one of the passages--either Old/New Testament lesson or the Psalm (rarely the Psalm! lol). Because of the lectionary, we cover the whole bible every 3 years (well, almost the whole bible...:001_smile:).

That said, once in a great while dh will go "off road" and preach on a topic not covered in the Scripture for that Sunday.

What kind of church is this?

Our church is like this, too.

Combination. Dh (a pastor) does primarily expository but some passages need a little topical rabbit trail for a couple of Sundays to give context to the verses being studied expositorily (is that a word?!).

Our pastor does this. Right now we are in Hebrews on the heroes of faith. Each week we head back to Genesis to delve into that person's life. I love it. We also head off sometimes around certain holidays to explore somewhere else. I've lived on topical sermons my whole life. When I first heard of expository preaching I was fascinated. I was excited that our new pastor was an expository preacher.

Expository with a smidge of topical thrown in. Of course, John MacArthur is my pastor, so we get mostly expository. (Last spring he hit the amazing milestone of having preached through EVERY NT verse in his 40+ years at this church!)

I believe that expository preaching more clearly defines what the Scripture says. Then, as believers, we can apply the Scriptures to our lives.

I prefer expository because in my past church experiences (which were not good and I do realize this colors my perception), topical preaching meant the pastor would give his opinion and proof text to do so. This also meant that his opinion was interpreted as Biblical, when it actually was not necessarily the case.

:iagree: I also think topical allows a preacher to get on his soapbox. With expository, if you are preaching through a book of the Bible, you preach what is there. Sometimes it's difficult. Our former pastor, was the only truly expository preacher I've ever heard and I heard sermons on passages I've never heard before, simply because he preached "through the whole book". It was wonderful.

I prefer expository because in my past church experiences (which were not good and I do realize this colors my perception), topical preaching meant the pastor would give his opinion and proof text to do so. This also meant that his opinion was interpreted as Biblical, when it actually was not necessarily the case.

Bingo.

I prefer expository and this is a huge part of the reason.

Our pastor does this. Right now we are in Hebrews on the heroes of faith. Each week we head back to Genesis to delve into that person's life. I love it. We also head off sometimes around certain holidays to explore somewhere else. I've lived on topical sermons my whole life. When I first heard of expository preaching I was fascinated. I was excited that our new pastor was an expository preacher.

That sounds like it would be a very interesting sermon series to hear.

To answer the OP's question, expository.

I agree with all those who said expository.

Now, what if you feel strongly one way on this issue, and your spouse felt strongly the other way?? What do you do?

Husband gets the final say, because of the head of the household thing. That means, though, that he would need to spend weeks/months praying, fasting and otherwise seeking the Lord's will about which church to attend.

:iagree: She speaks for me again. :D

Do you prefer expository preaching or topical sermons? Why?

No question here!! Expository Preaching, worthy of seminary level classes, taught to the hungry :) I'd LOVVVVVVE to have a church with great sermons and Music that is worthy of being called "worship". You know... Praising God for who He is and What he's done!!! :) I know a small town that could use a great church!! :)

Our former pastor, was the only truly expository preacher I've ever heard

How do you know he was "truly expository"? (anyone can answer this - it's just that this quote sparked the question for me)

I learn new things almost every time I open up a thread on religion. Now I know there is a difference in types of preaching and what the differences are, and I now know what prooftexting is.

How do you know he was "truly expository"? (anyone can answer this - it's just that this quote sparked the question for me)

I learn new things almost every time I open up a thread on religion. Now I know there is a difference in types of preaching and what the differences are, and I now know what prooftexting is.

Well, some pastors say they are expository because they want to do a sermon on love, so they take apart several verses on 1 Cor. 13 and then the next week they go to another passage somewhere else. Our former pastor went through, for example, the book of Judges. Every verse by sometimes ugly verse. He didn't skip a verse. He explained the context, why these things are written ( just because someone in the Bible did something and God didn't strike them dead, doesn't mean it's right. Sometimes the Bible is just telling us the way things were) who it was written to. He took a passage apart to discover its meaning. He didn't use passages to prove his point. This man was truly a gifted preacher.

Well, some pastors say they are expository because they want to do a sermon on love, so they take apart several verses on 1 Cor. 13 and then the next week they go to another passage somewhere else.

Thanks; that makes sense to me.

Our former pastor went through, for example, the book of Judges. Every verse by sometimes ugly verse. He didn't skip a verse. He explained the context, why these things are written ( just because someone in the Bible did something and God didn't strike them dead, doesn't mean it's right. Sometimes the Bible is just telling us the way things were) who it was written to. He took a passage apart to discover its meaning. He didn't use passages to prove his point. This man was truly a gifted preacher.

Another question for anyone (that I am embarrassed to put out there - I feel so ignorant about this) - on the bolded parts - how do (for example, your truly gifted preacher) pastors/ministers go about doing this? How did they learn how to do this? Seminary? Bible School? Divinity school? (I don't really even know the differences between these) Self-study? And if you the audience supposedly don't know the knowledge the pastor is exposing to you, how do you know if he/she is doing a proper job of it? :blushing:

I'm with the rest. My church uses the lectionary from the Book of Common prayer, so every week and on special days there is an appointed Epistle and Gospel lesson, and psalm. Additionally there are lessons from the OT and NT for the offices of Morning Prayer and Evensong every day of the week.

So typically a Sunday sermon will focus on one or both of the lessons and potentally also bring in the office lessons, and the psalm. They often also talk about why the lectionary is appointed the way it is and its logic - so for example why there are particular types of lessons appointed for the season of Lent.

Another question for anyone (that I am embarrassed to put out there - I feel so ignorant about this) - on the bolded parts - how do (for example, your truly gifted preacher) pastors/ministers go about doing this? How did they learn how to do this? Seminary? Bible School? Divinity school? (I don't really even know the differences between these) Self-study? And if you the audience supposedly don't know the knowledge the pastor is exposing to you, how do you know if he/she is doing a proper job of it? :blushing:

As far as how people learn to preach, typically seminaries and training colleges for ministers and such teach it. But I think talent has something to do with it too, the ability to understand how to communicate ideas to the audience you are talking to. Some people it seems will never be good preachers. 3And I guess actually knowing something about the subject is important, through study as well as prayer.

People who are really interested in homiletics will spend time studying great sermons.

How to know if they are giving you good stuff is a hard question - it would be easy for a new Christian to be led astray I think. Gut feelings are one way and important, but some preachers know how to appeal to us in a deceiving way but knowing what we want to hear.

But I think one aspect that is kind of boring but important is what person or organization stands behind or oversees the preacher.

I agree with all those who said expository.

Now, what if you feel strongly one way on this issue, and your spouse felt strongly the other way?? What do you do?

We attend different churches until we are both satisfied. At our previous location, we tried ≈ 20 churches. About five actually based the sermon on a Bible verse. Three of them read more than one verse. Many sermons were based solely on anecdotes. We were very relieved when we finally found our church. During our 9 months of looking we attended a church for several months, but I wasn't quite happy with it. Dh was willing to keep looking for my sake. At our current location, he chose the church. I would have kept looking but he was happy and it was good for the children. It was important that both of us liked it enough, but we have given in to the one with the strongest feelings.