Menu

BRAG ALERT!!!!! DD12 won First Place at the.......

CC Challenge B Science Fair!!!!

She is so excited!!!!!

Her 'testable question' was 'Will microwaved water kill exotic angel plants?' She did a very controlled experiment with six plants and microwaved water, boiled water and tap water (all at room temperature). If I didn't see the results myself, I would not have believed it, but the microwaved water plants are dying. It took about 10 days for them to stop growing and begin showing signs of discoloration, sickly new growth that immediately died, and stems becoming woody and brittle.

She did a fabulous job -- you know, as a former science fair judge (100s of years ago) it's not so much 'what' you do (or to put it another way: judges like simply experiments) but it is the fact that one follows the scientific process.

Who knows? Maybe she will be my third scientist: dd32 teaches high school physics and was a research assistant in a pharmaceutical firm prior to that and DD31 is halfway through med school.

:party::party::party::party:

post-10544-13535086148737_thumb.jpg

post-10544-13535086149163_thumb.jpg

Edited by MariannNOVA

Awesome!!!!! So, what did she find????? Just curious! I couldn't read her results!

Her 'testable question' was 'Will microwaved water kill exotic angel plants?' She did a very controlled experiment with six plants and microwaved water, boiled water and tap water (all at room temperature). If I didn't see the results myself, I would not have believed it, but the microwaved water plants are dying. It took about 10 days for them to stop growing and begin showing signs of discoloration, sickly new growth that immediately died, and stems becoming woody and brittle.

She did a fabulous job -- you know, as a former science fair judge (100s of years ago) it's not so much 'what' you do (or to put it another way: judges like simply experiments) but it is the fact that one follows the scientific process.

Who knows? Maybe she will be my third scientist: dd32 teaches high school physics and was a research assistant in a pharmaceutical firm prior to that and DD31 is halfway through med school.

ooooOOOOoooo

I see a science experiment in our future. Don't worry, we'll just do it at home.

That was an excellent idea.

Thank you all so much -- dd has looked at the congratulatory notes and says thank you to all of you.

She told me that the comment she heard most often from 'moms' was: "Wow -- I use my microwave oven all the time. I am going to have to try and use it less."

DD found it interesting that many of the moms said that they didn't know how they would live without their microwave. Her response was that we had to go buy one just for this experiment, as we haven't had one in 2.5 years.

I would say there is a long way to go from two plants dying to 'oh my gosh, the microwave is going to kill us and our food.' But, carried out the way dd did it, she followed scientific process excellently and that is really what a science fair is about.

Awesome!

I've heard that about microwaved water killing plants. Now, do we know why?

DD had one theory after she researched the physical manifestations she was seeing on the microwaved water plants -- the blackened leaves, yellow new growth, woody stems are apparently a sign of a bacteria disease in the plant. Because only the two plants that received microwaved water had physical manifestations consistent with a bacterial disease, dd12 wondered if the microwaved water compromised the plants immunity.

DD found it fascinating that most of what she found online totally dismissed any likelihood that microwaved water would kill plants.