Menu

Frustrated by Lack of Opportunities--Vent

This is just a vent.

I read about people who have all these great homeschool co-op opportunities available. I have none.

We are part of a homeschool group, and we like it, but it's not a co-op in the traditional sense of offering classes.

Every co-op around here is heavily, heavily Christian. We are not. Every classical school around here is heavily, heavily Christian. We are not. Classical Conversations is heavily Christian. We are not. The local schools do not offer anything to homeschoolers: no online academies, no part-time enrollment for certain classes, no sports opportunities (which is moot anyway, as the kids play hockey and our local schools don't have a hockey team, but still).

There is nothing I can do with my kids in the academic realm other than teach them at home or send them to the local community college when they are old enough.

Now, I love homeschooling. I don't feel in crisis. I think things are generally going well. But as the kids get older, I wish for them (and me) a place where they can go to learn with other kids/from other teachers that is supportive of homeschooling but also academically rigorous. I have spent the morning perusing the website of a local classical Christian school that is much like Highlands Latin School that has a part-time enrollment option for homeschoolers. It looks awesome. It's extremely Christian. I sent them an email asking if they work with homeschoolers from non-Christian families, but from the info on their website, I'm not holding my breath.

Besides, do I want to send my kids to classes at a place that states specifically on their website that homosexuality is a sin?

I feel like I have few options. "Homeschool" classes from local places like parks and rec/science center, etc., are not what I am looking for. I want a rigorous school class. Just one, maybe two. Just to shake things up a bit.

Even the online academies, like Veritas and Memoria Press, are extremely Christian.

Where are the secular, rigorous, classical schools and co-ops? Sometimes I feel like, "Why do the Christians get all the good stuff?" This is NOT a rant against Christianity or Christians. Sometimes I just feel tired of being so outside the mainstream. Does that make sense?

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

You're not the only one (and that isn't even limited to non-religious folks). We have a great park group. And we belong to a charter school that we like a lot, but it doesn't offer that sort of thing. I can teach them at home, send them to the CC when they're old enough, or enroll them in PS, that's it.

I don't know what the state of charter schools is near you, but there are some that are mainly homeschooling but offer some classes too. That's about all I can suggest.

I don't have any advise for you other than I'm in the same boat.

I do have an answer for why Christians get all the good stuff. They were pivotal in starting the homeschooling movement and are still the majority today, as they are in the rest of society.

Doesn't mean it's right, but there it is.

Is there a relaxed homeschooling group in your area? They are nation wide. Don't let the title of the group fool you. They have some pretty rigorous offerings around here.

I haven't been a part of the group because we have a co-op we belong to, but I have been on their mailing list.

I have been a part of MANY co-ops on the 14 years I've been homeschooling. Most of them were a waste of time.

:grouphug:

Our problem is transportation. I can't use public transit, I'd be in screaming pain long before we got where we were going.

Cab fare is $$$.

While Wolf is off on parental leave right now, that's not a normal thing, nor is it all that long.

It's incredibly frustrating...there ARE things the kids could participate in, if only I could darn well get them there!

We're in a similar position and there is no CC nearby. The university is closer, but still a drive and they don't do dual enrollment until junior year. If we take a day off for non-academic co-op we lose that day. At this stage and my son's working ability we can't afford to do that.

I'm hoping we can afford to outsource a few classes (probably online) just to show he has more than mommy grades.

I'm also thinking he needs to make friends with our local computer repair store. I wonder if they'd like a volunteer?

I know we'll be looking outside the box for more opportunities, but they are limited here too.

We have loads of opportunities for socialization here, both Christian and non. But there are no secular educational opportunities I'd consider rigorous at all. I'm caught between extremely relaxed or unschooling models and rigorous but Christian offerings. I'll contemplate the Christian opportunities when I get there, but I don't know what my comfort level will be with them. Other than that, I'm just hoping to hang on by the skin of my teeth until they're old enough to take classes at the local CC!

I don't have any advise for you other than I'm in the same boat.

I do have an answer for why Christians get all the good stuff. They were pivotal in starting the homeschooling movement and are still the majority today, as they are in the rest of society.

Doesn't mean it's right, but there it is.

Well, I don't know if you can say it's "not right." Evangelical Christians have all that stuff because they built it themselves. It wasn't there before.

The rest of us (and that includes a lot of smaller religious groups, including Christian minorities) are more fragmented and not so much of a bloc. So we have to do our own building and it's taking longer, but it is happening.

After moving from NYC, which has TONS of secular homeschooling opportunities, I felt so bereft in Florida. There are a lot of opportunities for Christian families, and one coop like the one you mentioned: super rigorous, offering some great-looking classes, Latin, Robotics, etc...but SUPER Christian--they even specify what the children must wear and how they cut their hair...just not right for us. We can take some online classes but really, I want a group classroom setting.

I ended up started my own homeschool group 2 years ago, open to everyone and anyone. For the time being, it's primarily social, but there have been some rumblings amongst members that they may like to have classes, so I am considering setting up a coop in the next year or two.

Have you considered starting your own group?

I feel the exact same way.

I tend to stalk http://www.villagehome.org/ from the other side of the country. It's almost exactly what I want to see here. My husband's Linked In profile includes a willingness to move out there almost all because of this (the general social climate and Voodoo Donuts may play small roles, lol)

My understanding is that Village Home began through the public school system and had a strong base before going independent, which I'm certain eased the monetary considerations. If I had access to the funds, I'd be busting my hump trying to put something like this together!

I have had the exact same issue. There are tons of co-ops here, and all require signing a statement of faith, which I'm not going to do. I am Christian, but I don't believe homosexuality is a sin or want to teach my kids creationism. I struggle with the offerings from online schools too and may have to give in there, I don't know yet, but I needed to involve my oldest in more classes than I did and have to somehow change things for my other kids as they get older.

I agree that the Christian co-ops are there bc someone local started them. No one came in and did it for the Christians. Even though I didn't want to, I started a co-op with a friend. It was something I wanted for my children and there were no co-ops nearby. Carole Topps book was invaluable.

Anne

Coming from a Christian perspective, some Christians have been unhappy with the educational system either because of things being taught that are contradictory to the bible or because of the lack of being able to get a good basic education in the public schools. Churches are organized and are experienced at creating organizations. Often times members of the same church end up with the same basic values and beliefs. That makes it really easy to start a homeschool group that meets the needs of the churches and their members. You have like minded people that already know each other and that makes it easier to start the groups.

Have you considered starting your own group?

I've thought about it, but with everything I have going on, I simply don't have time.

Plus, one of the reasons I want my kids to take some outside classes is so that I'm NOT involved in it. Both because I want to have a bit of a break (as in, "Here's ONE class I'm not responsible for teaching") and because I want my kids to have some educational experiences that are independent of me.

Were there something like what I am looking for extant, I would be willing to help out, but creating one from the ground up is outside my capabilities at the moment.

There was something exactly like what I was looking for when we were considering moving to Pittsburgh. We didn't move though.

Tara

We must live in the same place. I could have written your post, word for word.

[sigh.]

We have attended a few of the non-religious Parks and Rec type homeschool events, and even those have been disheartening. There's only so much I can say when other moms are discussing their churches endlessly, though my son has enjoyed the classes - so we keep going. There is a clique-ish feel, and a definite sense that non-Christians are not accepted, which even my son feels from the other kids. It's like a wall that we'll never be able to climb.

It's hard. I am not going to start our own group (my resources are too limited for that, on a lot of levels), and even if I did I fear that I'd still feel like a fish out of water, because our local homeschooling community is heavily religious.

As others posted you are not alone by far. I live in a town of 750 there is NOTHING here for the kids. Heck even the ps kids do not get sports or enrichment type activities. The next town over there is a few sports teams they can join but nothing academic. Due to how alberta homeschooling regs are there is no parttime enrollement in ps for art/music/PE etc you are either is ps or you hs, there is also no dual enrollment in a college. No co-ops at all. No kids allowed at most of the support group activities (mostly it is a once a month meeting for the moms only, though dads are welcome, usually they are expected to stay home and watch the kids). WHen I lived in the city we had opportunities coming out the wazoo, though the actual co-ops were not academically focused for the most part and were expensive. But there was opportunity to participate in one or more of the 4 hs groups, do homeschool swim, hs gymnastics, hs chess, hs lego league, hs dance, hs foreign language classes etc. Like I said out here it is not just hser's that lack the opportunities the ps does too. No sports, no real music program, no real art classes (right through gr 12 art is taught by the homeroom teacher just like it was in K-6 in most schools so the kids never really get taught how to progress beyond the basics), no scholastic type teams like I used to participate in, they don't even have science fairs which my kids participated in as hser's in the city.

For me it doesn't matter if it is Christian, secular, or Martian it simply doesn't exist. I have thought about starting my own but between working, teaching, the home, running the beaver scouts, medical appts, 3 crazy kids and doing it all as a single mom, the thought of taking on something new scares the crude out of me, so for now I focus on creating opportunities just for my own kids and not trying to fix it all for everyone.

This isn't a "school" enrichment idea... (we were not in a group for most of our time homeschooling) but we had the best times joining the USTA (US Tennis Association). They had really fun programs for kids all summer long... all sorts of people... all walks of life... I know that the USTA does an "after school" programs at local schools and I'd check into seeing if homeschool students could join in because it's not a "school" program, the USTA used the school site and offers a fun opportunity for kids...

I cannot say enough about getting my kids involved in playing tennis... it's something you can do as a family for decades... and the USTA where I lived made it a WHOLE lot of FUN! We would pack a cooler in the morning and head out and be at the courts for hours a few days a week and those are some of my favorite memories now...

Like I said... that isn't a co-op or school event... but, it sure added enrichment to our life.

Personally, I don't begrudge the Christian groups anything at all. I'm more lamenting the fact that often, secular-oriented HSers don't tend toward educational rigor, so if you're one that does, you really have nowhere to turn. Like elegantlion said, if you are lucky enough to have a co-op to join, it's usually for enrichment purposes, and then you're losing a day educationally (or in my case, I'm losing a day off personally, because the kids LOVE our enrichment co-op; I, on the other hand, am overwhelmed, schedule-wise).

I don't hold anything against the Christian groups at all and would never expect them to bend to accommodate me. I'm just sad that I stand pretty much alone, educationally, around here.

I happily vent with you. I am part of a small secular homeschool group which meets for playgroup once a week. They did a coop, and we participated for a year, but that was far from academically rigorous. It basically was for socialization, but did not have any educational benefits that outweigh the inconvenience to fit coop into my work schedule.

We are doing without outside classes until the kids are old enough for dual enrollment.

We are in a small town and the closest city with science centers and museums is a two hour drive away; there are absolutely no resources around here. Whenever people rave about how great it is to raise children in this town, I wonder whether they have kids beyond the toddler stage - because for preteens and teens, there is nothing to do.

Tara, I hear you!

We're Christian, but of the liberal variety, that translates to secular education for our ds (we use an online charter school), and a decided aversion to those schools that are, as you put it, "heavily Christian." This area has tons and tons and tons of programs and coops and even several classical schools, but if it's Christian, it usually means the type of Christian that wouldn't really tolerate our beliefs or values very well.

Like, we would absolutely refuse to put ds in a school that spent bandwidth on its web page condemning homosexuality. The reason we did not join Boy Scouts was its requirement that boys believe in God. We don't want to be part of any group that intentionally excludes nonreligious families like that.

That said, if I lived close by, I'd totally offer to start up a secular co-op with you, so at least some days, you'd get some free time!

(Plus, our kids would have a blast during "P.E." Hockey time! :D)

I wouldn't say that Christians GET all the good stuff, it's just that Christians make or direct the good stuff. Sounds like the opportunity is ripe for good secular curriculum and groups if someone is willing to start them. Personally, I'm seriously considering starting a homeschool co-op in my area in a few years, once my youngest is school age. Although I AM a Christian, I'd like to start a co-op that is open to everyone.

:Nodding at Aelwydd:

I think the time has finally come for more liberal Christians and WTM'ish secular-types to join forces.

All of you lamenting the riches available to Christians, do you not realize that a certain stripe of Christian is circling the wagons, trying squeezing the rest of us out?

I am not going to a convention to hear Doug Phillips of Vision Forum give the keynote address. No way.

I am not going to join a homeschool support group where I have to sign a statement of faith that has nothing to do with the traditional doctrines of Christianity and everything to do with politics. Nope.

We're the wrong kind of Christians, so we're lonely, too.

Some of us Christians need you as bad as you need us. We'll bring our experience in organizing co-ops, clubs, and communal dinners. You bring fresh blood, new ideas, nice kids, and a shared disdain for the patriarchy. Deal?

I think the time has finally come for more liberal Christians and WTM'ish secular-types to join forces.

All of you lamenting the riches available to Christians, do you not realize that a certain stripe of Christian is circling the wagons, trying squeezing the rest of us out?

I am not going to a convention to hear Doug Phillips of Vision Forum give the keynote address. No way.

I am not going to join a homeschool support group where I have to sign a statement of faith that has nothing to do with the traditional doctrines of Christianity and everything to do with politics. Nope.

Some of us Christians need you as bad as you need us. We'll bring our experience in organizing co-ops, clubs, and communal dinners. You bring fresh blood, new ideas, nice kids, and a shared disdain for the patriarchy. Deal?

Well, I am ALL for that. I think the problem is that we are all few and far between!

This is just a vent.

I read about people who have all these great homeschool co-op opportunities available. I have none.

We are part of a homeschool group, and we like it, but it's not a co-op in the traditional sense of offering classes.

Every co-op around here is heavily, heavily Christian. We are not. Every classical school around here is heavily, heavily Christian. We are not. Classical Conversations is heavily Christian. We are not. The local schools do not offer anything to homeschoolers: no online academies, no part-time enrollment for certain classes, no sports opportunities (which is moot anyway, as the kids play hockey and our local schools don't have a hockey team, but still).

There is nothing I can do with my kids in the academic realm other than teach them at home or send them to the local community college when they are old enough.

Now, I love homeschooling. I don't feel in crisis. I think things are generally going well. But as the kids get older, I wish for them (and me) a place where they can go to learn with other kids/from other teachers that is supportive of homeschooling but also academically rigorous. I have spent the morning perusing the website of a local classical Christian school that is much like Highlands Latin School that has a part-time enrollment option for homeschoolers. It looks awesome. It's extremely Christian. I sent them an email asking if they work with homeschoolers from non-Christian families, but from the info on their website, I'm not holding my breath.

Besides, do I want to send my kids to classes at a place that states specifically on their website that homosexuality is a sin?

I feel like I have few options. "Homeschool" classes from local places like parks and rec/science center, etc., are not what I am looking for. I want a rigorous school class. Just one, maybe two. Just to shake things up a bit.

Even the online academies, like Veritas and Memoria Press, are extremely Christian.

Where are the secular, rigorous, classical schools and co-ops? Sometimes I feel like, "Why do the Christians get all the good stuff?" This is NOT a rant against Christianity or Christians. Sometimes I just feel tired of being so outside the mainstream. Does that make sense?

Tara

I'm trying to figure out if you are my neighbor. Since you play hockey I know you aren't but still... Our situation is SO identical! No public school involvement. The private schools are Christian schools except for one very expensive college-prep. The homeschool groups are extremely closed and exclusive. Not a great state for homeschooling at all. Not a great town for homeschooling at all. It's the pits.

I'm extremely grateful our oldest boys have found theatre to be extremely (read here almost daily) involved in. Although it is also very expensive. Our oldest is also a skateboarder and although we don't have a park in town it does offer occasional get-togethers and interests.

This isn't a "school" enrichment idea... (we were not in a group for most of our time homeschooling) but we had the best times joining the USTA (US Tennis Association).

Like I said... that isn't a co-op or school event... but, it sure added enrichment to our life.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Just wanted to chime in with another plug for U.S.T.A. This program has been great for my kids. There have been many pros of tennis:

1. My kids have a great group of friends.

2. There are a multitude of fun programs offered throughout the year.

3. Tennis is a great sport if your child wants to compete athletically at the college level since the college coaches look strictly at a player's U.S.T.A. results - high school tennis is irrelevant. In fact, some of the top player's in my state don't even play for their high school teams because our state's athletic association will not permit high school players to compete in U.S.T.A tournaments during the high school tennis season.

:iagree:

Also, I'm not sure why, but when I read that statement, for some reason I started hearing the Darth Vader theme music in my head. Not sure what that means... :glare:

...other than I have a weird brain, of course.

Hear, hear!

Yes, I can relate to this. I do know of a couple of places that offer homeschool classes but they are very expensive. I totally understand why they need to charge those prices but not everyone can afford them, therefore the classes are kind of small.

I'm jealous of the people who can send their high schoolers to college for dual enrollment. I've looked at the option in Georgia universities and the hoops to jump through actually seem more complicated than just going in as a freshman after high school graduation. We could go the GED route to get them into the basic level junior colleges but they would be taking remedial level courses before they can take courses for credit. So we're just sticking to the high school graduation plan.

LOL, this strikes me as hysterical in a very sad way.

Where I live there are TONS of great HS things to do and join. Unfortunately, none of them are a very good fit for my family.

Most of all the decent academic style co-ops are "statement of faith" sign-y places, and even though technically I can't go there anyway, I find that sort of exclusionary practice gross.

The ones that are more inclusive are too far away, too expensive or don't have any classes that are worth the time/$$ for us.

There is a "homeschool school" here in town which in theory is great, but it doesn't quite cut it in practice. Plus it is too $$$. Also too many kicked out PSers go there for my taste.

The other secular/inclusive groups tend to be one-off style field trips, etc. and although I love some of the families dearly, it is generally too unschool heavy for me.

I have started, count 'em, three secular HS groups/ co-ops. One failed as it was too unschooler heavy, one was a young HS playgroup and we all grew apart and up (also really unschooler friendly), the new one is going alright, but it is still a hard go.

What I am getting at is that you shouldn't feel that bad, as even if there are a lot of things in your area.... that doesn't mean you will fit in, or like them. ;) Heck, I can say that even when you start them, they never become what you wanted. Or you find the perfect thing or person, and your kids are too old, or they just don't like each other. I love that one.

I have my dream school in my head....

One day a week, right down the street from my house, a whole group of families all of whom are lovely, with awesome kids, are never late, show up to be taught by the perfect college professors who inspire, teach and love all our kids, have a wonderful time, and everything is bright and shiny. The parents get to sit in another room with coffee, cocktails and chocolate having a wonderful conversations about only the most interesting things, while our children get that extra added something from someone else that we can't provide, then we all go home and life is beautiful. Oh, and it's free. And we all have the same educational goals, so there is never any squabbling. Please... don't wake me up!

:D

There aren't any homeschool groups in my whole county. The closest one is a hour away, over mountain roads.

I feel bad for my kids but there's really nothing I can do. We live in a very rural area and only have one neighbor (no kids).

My kids were in 4H for a few years but we ended up dropping it because unless a kid was tight with certain kids they were excluded. :confused:

I feel the exact same way.

I tend to stalk http://www.villagehome.org/ from the other side of the country. It's almost exactly what I want to see here. My husband's Linked In profile includes a willingness to move out there almost all because of this (the general social climate and Voodoo Donuts may play small roles, lol)

My understanding is that Village Home began through the public school system and had a strong base before going independent, which I'm certain eased the monetary considerations. If I had access to the funds, I'd be busting my hump trying to put something like this together!

I'd love something like that too.

Anyways, I feel ya. We have nothing available where we live. Its hard enough just to get a play date with a home schooling family let alone have anything structured like that. Christian or not.

You have to travel to the city for Co-ops, and the ones I'm aware of are through the Protestant churches in the city. I personally don't know of any Catholic homeschoolers in our area. I feel like we're the only ones.

This is something I have noticed a lot when we were in the city. Lots of the groups were christian and I joined them, but kept my mouth shut about the things I disgreed with in their beliefs just so we could continue to participate. Out here there is the only 1 support group I mentioned and given that no kids are allowed (which seems so weird to me for a homeschool group) and it is expected that you are married so your spouse can watch them, and none of the women really work, because their spouse works f/t and they all stay home f/t and all but 1 is unschoolers AND the group is Christian but different in some beliefs than mine, I do not really fit in.

This thread also reminded me of us getting kicked out of a homeschooling program last year and told to put my son in ps. In my prov. you have to register with a homeschool board. So we did, with the one in the next town over, for a special needs teacher directed program, meaning I would facilitate but ds would have a teacher who dictated the assignments, graded him etc. It was a special needs program and was more for the sake of the paper trail needed to get him special needs services if I put him into ps high school or even once he gets to college. It also offered access to sports and to fieldtrips etc. After being give all of our materials and assignments, I get a phone call from them stating, they have decided that ds was too disabled to participate in this program, because in the testing he had done at the hosp, he made a noncommital answer to whether or not he wanted to return to ps and the tester felt that meant he did want to go but couldn't voice it. DS does NOT want to go ps he tells me this daily. Anyway given his LD and that 1 statement from teh tester they felt I should enroll him in PS and we got kicked out of the only real homeschool opportunities in the town. THey wouldn't even let us change his enrollment to parent directed(which the other kids were registered in) by saying he was just too disabled. Funny thing is the same report they were basing it on said he was basically a normal kids with a few learning issues and a over protective mom. :tongue_smilie:

The school did however have certain Christian beliefs that I told the initial teacher were stupid. I suspect us getting kicked out had more to do with that than with any actual or perceived abilities of my son.

Not all Christians are evangelical. And not all Christian hs groups are fundie-like. I always complain to my Catholic friends that they have the coolest co-ops and curriculum. Of course, these co-ops are 70+ miles away;). I refuse to attend my state's homeschool convention because it's all about raising good Christian kids, having a good Christian marriage, and resisting the evils of the world.

Tara, I live in the middle of nowhere. We do have a local group that is awesome, but nothing truly academic is offered. If I want extra classes, I would have to dedicate 3+ hours of driving on co-op days. I am confident in my ability to effectively homeschool my kids, but sometimes we need a break from each other.

I feel your pain, believe me.

We have an inclusive co-op starting up, but this is the first year and they've changed locations mid-year, and are still ironing out the kinks. My toddler still naps, and the co-op times aren't great with his naptime. He's also hard to contain right now other than keeping him in the Ergo. For those reasons, I think I'm going to reconsider joining next year. The toddler may be able to sit and do a few activities (they do offer things for 2 and above), and naptime won't be quite so critical at that point.

But yes, I am envious of those who have great secular or truly inclusive options. I'd love the option of a secular CC or similar.

There are some unschooly co-ops in my area too but they are all 30-40 mins away and that's tough for me right now with the ages of my children and a napping toddler.

We are one of the lucky ones who have a homeschool program through our public school which I think is absolutely incredible. My son goes two mornings a week from 8:30 - 12:00 and attends a class that looks just like a regular school classroom along with other kids who are also homeschooled. In the afternoons they also have resource classes for science, foreign languages, lego classes, robotics, chess, computers, writing, history, drama etc. They also offer a weekly gym class which includes swimming lessons and structured gym activities. I love that they also have a yearly science fair, school carnival, pto, and basically everything you would expect from a regular school.

There are a couple of downsides. One, we have to make up the time that he spends there on the weekednd and over summer. Second, every year they are threatening to take away the funding for the program and we would be devastated.

We are secular and don't fit into any of the local co-ops either. The co-ops that don't require a statement of faith, all seem to be more for the many unschoolers in the area and are more like play groups than learning type co-ops.

I think every district should have something like we have here. We are all paying for schools through our district just like everyone else. It fills his need for school friends, group interaction, and gives him access to teachers and ideas outside of my husband and myself. I also love that the kids who attend the program are of all different religions and beliefs. It has sparked a lot of conversation in our home, and has been a good way for him to learn to be sensitive to other people's beliefs.

We also live close enough to attend Village Home (the link that was on the first page), but we chose the program through the school instead as it's free and closer to where we live. It's nice to know that if they do take away the funding for the alternative learning program, places like Village Home could fill the void for us.

Edited by Cindyz

:iagree: I'm not home schooling yet, but this would be where we are too. So, it isn't only completely secular homeschoolers who are left out in the cold at times. Fwiw,I will be homeschooling in China. I am assuming there won't be co-ops to join.

I love it!

Don't y'all just love it when you write a post full of errors and it gets quoted over and over? LOL

Last year some of us tried to create an Inclusive Homeschooling website/online support group/magazine/networking group. We fell flat on our Well-Trained Rears. The whole project vanished into the ether.

As someone who was heavily involved but not the ball-dropper I'm always up for discussing those possibilities again.

Melissel is right; we are too scattered. We have no way of finding each other locally to organize. It is possible that our ilk exists only on the internet, but it's also possible that there are more of us than we know. Just sitting at home with their dog-eared WTM, homeschooling their kids and feeling lonely.

One reason the Christian groups succeed is that they fly their flag very high. They organize, advertise, and connect. If I wanted to find Vision Forum'ish Christian homeschoolers anywhere on the planet I would know what to google.

If I wanted to find local secular/inclusive groups with a classical bent and rigorous habits I would not know what to google. True! I've tried!

Haven't had a chance to read all the replies...but online classes can be a lot of fun. My oldest is taking an online class. Afterwards the teacher opens a chat room for them where they can hang out. He is loving it. It's not the same as a real life group...but it can be a good alternative.

I would like to be part of starting a secular/inclusive/affordable version of Classical Conversations. It is too good a concept to only ever use for one narrow demographic. Most of us aren't wealthy and Christian. We're either one or the other, or neither.

Oh, so would I! A new CC group is starting up just minutes from me, and it's KILLING ME! I keep wondering just how much I could take and whether or not they'd kick us out if we tried to sneak in. Alas, I think it's pretty much lose-lose.

I would like to be part of starting a secular/inclusive/affordable version of Classical Conversations. It is too good a concept to only ever use for one narrow demographic. Most of us aren't wealthy and Christian. We're either one or the other, or neither.

I really wish there was a secular alternative.