Menu

Front load washer vs. Top load AS MANY OPINIONS AS I CAN Get!!!!

We need a new washer and dryer. Ever since I have had a front load washer it has been nothing but one problem after another. ON the flip side, when I have used my mil's top load and my sisters top load I notice all of my clothes are covered in lint.

I air dry most of my clothes so that is why I notice the lint. When clothes come out of my front load washer, there is virutally no lint on them.

ANYWAY, I really really want as many opinions as possible on front load vs. top load also what type you just love or hate.

For me, I HATE (passionately) my frigidaire front load washer.

PRETEND money is no option either.

I want opinions from mom's who use their washers continuously. This is the best place I can think of for both mom's and opinions! :D

so...

1) Front load or top load

2) Brand/model (a link would be awesome but not necessary)

3) how long have you had it?

Edited by Momto4kids

I have an LG top loader and I love it. Huge capacity and no lint.

Well, I love it as much as I can love an appliance, but you know what I mean. :tongue_smilie:

I got it at Home Depot along with the matching front load dryer.

I'll try to post a link for you in a minute.

Edited to add:

Found it! I think this is the electric version and we got the natural gas one, but it's the same washer:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202192411/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&superSkuId=202603118

Edited by Catwoman

I have an LG top loader and I love it. Huge capacity and no lint.

Well, I love it as much as I can love an appliance, but you know what I mean. :tongue_smilie:

I got it at Home Depot along with the matching front load dryer.

I'll try to post a link for you in a minute.

Edited to add:

Found it! I think this is the electric version and we got the natural gas one, but it's the same washer:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202192411/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&superSkuId=202603118

Cool! How long have you had it? I am adding that ? to the OP.

I have had it for several months. I think I got it in July or August, but I'm not sure exactly when it was.

I know there have been other threads here about washers, because I searched for them when I was shopping for mine. I can't remember whether or not I started a thread of my own, though. I ended up seeing the LG at Home Depot and liking the color, and then realizing that it would hold a TON of clothes, so that's why I chose it.

The capacity doesn't sound that huge, until you realize that there's no agitator in the middle to take up space, so you can even fit a big down comforter in the washer with plenty of room to spare.

I have a Maytag Bravos top-load with agitator. I love it. I bought it to replace my Whirlpool Calypso (top load without agitator; said to be the same action as a front loader), which I HATED with a raging passion! That was the worst, most horrendous excuse for a machine EVER invented and it was not cheap, either. I suffered through it for five years. It wouldn't get clothes clean, especially dh's work clothes (he's in construction). I gave up using cloth diapers because I could never get them smelling fresh, though I tried every tip and trick under the sun, tried all different soaps and detergents, did everything but chant magic spells and wave crystals over it. :tongue_smilie: I also lost several articles of clothing that became trapped under the disk.

Because of my experience with that horrid machine, you could not give me a front loader, even free and clear. I personally think any machine that is meant to use little water is terrible because it doesn't use enough water. Clothes don't get really clean, mold builds up and the machine stinks, you end up needing to use more detergent, etc.

Whatever you do, do not consider a Whirlpool Calypso or similar agitator-less top loader in your wildest, dizziest fantasy!

I didn't care for my Maytag front loader. However, I LOVE my Fisher & Paykel top loader. Super huge capacity, water/energy efficient, fast spin cycle spins the clothes almost dry, lots of settings but a mechanically simple concept. Cost about half the price of a front loader. We've had it for several years and only had an issue when way overstuffed w/jeans. Dh took off the side panel and had it fixed in about 5 minutes (he's not a repair guy). When our old dryer died, we replaced it with the Fisher & Paykel dryer and love that as well. We do 8-10 loads per week. http://www.lowes.com/pd_328481-45535-WA42T26GW1_4294937007+4294965345_44_?productId=3240536&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Fisher%2B_4294937007%2B4294965345_44_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=Fisher & Paykel

We have a Whirlpool Duet FL. We bought it in July 2007 and I love it. I have two in cloth diapers so I use it every day.

The capacity is huge, it cleans well, things get spun out so thoroughly that they dry quickly, etc. We used to have a TL and I have used others' TLs and I really prefer my FL.

same here (except only one in cloth diapers currently). we bought the extended warranty with it, but haven't had any problems.

I didn't care for my Maytag front loader. However, I LOVE my Fisher & Paykel top loader. Super huge capacity, water/energy efficient, fast spin cycle spins the clothes almost dry, lots of settings but a mechanically simple concept. Cost about half the price of a front loader. We've had it for several years and only had an issue when way overstuffed w/jeans. Dh took off the side panel and had it fixed in about 5 minutes (he's not a repair guy). When our old dryer died, we replaced it with the Fisher & Paykel dryer and love that as well. We do 8-10 loads per week. http://www.lowes.com/pd_328481-45535-WA42T26GW1_4294937007+4294965345_44_?productId=3240536&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Fisher%2B_4294937007%2B4294965345_44_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=Fisher & Paykel

The F&P was second on our list. :-)

We have a Cabrio - glass lid one. It was the top rated top-loader in consumer reports. I love it. Gets stuff super clean and spins stuff really well so drying time is less than with our old washer.

:iagree:We also have a Whirlpool front loader. It holds a ton of clothes and we have not experienced any problems with it not cleaning well.

Part of the reason we switched to front load is for space. We don't have a mud room and our laundry room is tiny. We were able to stack a full size FL washer and a dryer so then we had room to add a bench and coat hooks for the kids in our laundry room. Great on a day like today when they come in full of wet snow. I don't know your situation with space, but I love the FL since it gave us this option.

I hated my LG front loader with a passion. It was nothing but a nightmare for me.

I did a happy dance when it died. After much research I bought a Fisher Paykel ecosmart top loader. I haven't noticed my electric bill or water bill changing in anyway and have never loved a washer so much. It's a direct drive motor, so no transmission to fail (what ultimately did in my LG) It spins the clothes just as dry, but gets them much cleaner. The tub also seems shorter and wider so it's easy for my short 5'3" self to dig the clothes out.

Now I will also say my Fisher Paykel TOP LOAD DRYER is THE BOMB!!! That's right I said it's a top loading dryer. No door to get in the way in my laundry room. It's huge and dries things quickly. It also scrapes it's own lint filter into a bucket that I empty after every 5-10 loads (the 5 times end is if I'm washing towels that are pretty new)

We need a new washer and dryer. Ever since I have had a front load washer it has been nothing but one problem after another. ON the flip side, when I have used my mil's top load and my sisters top load I notice all of my clothes are covered in lint.

I air dry most of my clothes so that is why I notice the lint. When clothes come out of my front load washer, there is virutally no lint on them.

ANYWAY, I really really want as many opinions as possible on front load vs. top load also what type you just love or hate.

For me, I HATE (passionately) my frigidaire front load washer.

PRETEND money is no option either.

I want opinions from mom's who use their washers continuously. This is the best place I can think of for both mom's and opinions! :D

so...

Front load. We bought ours 6 years ago. It is a Sears Kenmore. Sears makes sturdy products for less. Many times, as in the case with our washer, a "brand" name company makes the component parts and Sears slaps their label on. I think Whirlpool made our washer. It's not given us any problems. In an electrical storm in spring (and assuming you have prior knowledge that such an event may come your way) UNPLUG the washer so it does not fry the digital processing card (internal). This happened to us one time and to the tune of $400 we had to have it repaired. Now, any hint that a storm is on it's way, as it will be in a few months, we unplug the washer until the storm passes.

HTH!

Also, it may have been the brand you bought. OR, it may have just been a lemon from the production line. Our van is like that. Our 10 yo van has always had an issue. I think it was a second behind on the manufacturing belt that caused everything to be messed up. :tongue_smilie:

Front load. We bought ours 6 years ago. It is a Sears Kenmore. Sears makes sturdy products for less. Many times, as in the case with our washer, a "brand" name company makes the component parts and Sears slaps their label on. I think Whirlpool made our washer. It's not given us any problems. In an electrical storm in spring (and assuming you have prior knowledge that such an event may come your way) UNPLUG the washer so it does not fry the digital processing card (internal). This happened to us one time and to the tune of $400 we had to have it repaired. Now, any hint that a storm is on it's way, as it will be in a few months, we unplug the washer until the storm passes.

HTH!

Also, it may have been the brand you bought. OR, it may have just been a lemon from the production line. Our van is like that. Our 10 yo van has always had an issue. I think it was a second behind on the manufacturing belt that caused everything to be messed up. :tongue_smilie:

Unfortunately this is not the case for us. This is our second frigidaire set. :glare: Our first washer had many many rpoblems and we called to complain to frigidaire and they gave us a $350 credit towards a new washer. So we bought a new one. Stupid us should have just bought a totally different brand. :glare:

Unfortunately this is not the case for us. This is our second frigidaire set. :glare: Our first washer had many many rpoblems and we called to complain to frigidaire and they gave us a $350 credit towards a new washer. So we bought a new one. Stupid us should have just bought a totally different brand. :glare:

Right, go to Consumer Reports and check it out. I would get another brand.

We have a Cabrio - glass lid one. It was the top rated top-loader in consumer reports. I love it. Gets stuff super clean and spins stuff really well so drying time is less than with our old washer.

:iagree: We have this washer and dryer too. HUGE capacity, no agitator. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Had mine since July of '09. Best washer and dryer I have ever owned.

ETA: we looked at front loaders, but they reminded me of the laundromat so that was not an option.

We have a Whirlpool Duet FL and love them. We have the first model they came out with and haven't had any problems with them.

I have a friend who researched new ones a month ago and she says Samsung FL is the top rated now. She bought 3 sets (large home) and as far as I know they love them.

I have the Frigidaire washer/dryer set that can be stacked, not the ginormous set that probably many people have. They're about seven years old, and I couldn't be happier. Oh, and I bought the pedestals. Clothes are clean, I use small amounts of my Amway laundry products, there have never been problems with odors (and I don't leave the door ajar or wash around the thingummy or anything). I plan always to have a frontloader.

I also have the whirlpool duets. We have had them for 5years and they are going strong. I have done cloth diapers (starting that up again soon), nasty outdoor clothes and towels (live in the country), and delicates with no trouble. We have also never had a problem with mold. We leave the washer door open between cycles and it is never a problem.

I will say our dryer showed up brand new not working. Apparently it had a lemon for a circuit board. It wouldnt even turn on. The board was promptly replaced (for free) and has never been a problem since.

Front load, all the way. Clothes are just cleaner and it is much gentler on them.

When I did the research last July, Samsung was rated highest, so that's what we got. LOVE it.

Before that we had a Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) which was good, but not AS good. It was 7yo and the controller chip went out TWICE. The first time under warrantee, so they replaced it. The second time a week before we were making a X-country move, so decided to leave it there and buy a new one (the Samsung). The problem was it would spin for hours and not stop. :p

The think I heard about Kenmore, is they get lowest bids from the different manufacturers, so it's *usually* a goo deal, but it can really vary year to year.

Good luck!

I love my Kenmore HE3 front loader because:

- uses less water (this matters because we are on a well)

- gets the clothes cleaner than my old top load used to

- handles large loads of jeans with out going out of balance

- has a "sanitary" wash cycle that uses extra extra hot water

- delicate cycle is more gentle on my clothes than the one on the old top loader

I have had this washer for about 8 years now. It's going strong and works great. I do not have problems with mildew - probably because it's dry here and I leave the door open a crack between loads.

If only I could go back to our top loader! I wash diapers and the front loader takes forever, I have to wash and rewash, and it eats the diapers. I can't soak anything because of the water level.

We had a cheap-o Magic Chef top loader. It was awesome. Barebones, always did what it was suppose to do.

We had that Magic Chef for over 10 years, before I "upgraded." Gosh, I wish I would've kept it. Never once had any problems...and no lint.

I hated my LG front loader with a passion. It was nothing but a nightmare for me.

I did a happy dance when it died. After much research I bought a Fisher Paykel ecosmart top loader. I haven't noticed my electric bill or water bill changing in anyway and have never loved a washer so much. It's a direct drive motor, so no transmission to fail (what ultimately did in my LG) It spins the clothes just as dry, but gets them much cleaner. The tub also seems shorter and wider so it's easy for my short 5'3" self to dig the clothes out.

Now I will also say my Fisher Paykel TOP LOAD DRYER is THE BOMB!!! That's right I said it's a top loading dryer. No door to get in the way in my laundry room. It's huge and dries things quickly. It also scrapes it's own lint filter into a bucket that I empty after every 5-10 loads (the 5 times end is if I'm washing towels that are pretty new)

I have an LG Front Loader. Not sure if it's the brand or the front loading, but I hate it too.

Whirlpool Front Loader. I'm not a fan.

I don't think it cleans seriously dirty or smelly stuff as well as my old regular washer.

There's no just plain spin cycle--only rinse and spin.

It doesn't small loads well. A single rug or throw blanket doesn't spin out completely. This particular model had a problem and required a new control board to address it but the problem is back. It wouldn't be such a big deal if it had a spin cycle, but it doesn't.

:grouphug:

I feel your pain my frigidaire frontloader died on me.

After going with a cheap machine off craiglist while I got over my anger I got a top loading Kenmore that is energy star. I love it so far, ask me in two months when it get diaper duty for the first time. :)

I have used both kinds. My first 18 years of marriage I used a top loader. The last 2 years I used front loader. I love love love my front loader. I will never go back to top loader. I can tell a big difference in my clothes and the amount of soap that I need to use. I still have the container of soap I bought back in Sept. I am running low...It is the one I buy at Sams club so it is pretty good. My top loader uses more soap so my Sams club soap containter do not last me this long.

Holly

I can't stand front loading machines. The ring always tends to smell no matter what you do. A friend of mine called a repair man out to look at her machine and quote the job. Her front loader was fairly new and just outside the warranty period. He suggested she not fix it because she'd be calling him out again. He said the front loaders have more problems and simply don't last.

Mt front loader got excellent reviews when we bought it years ago. I couldn't stand it and we got rid of it when it was still working fine. I will never again get a front loader.

We have this top loading washer and love, love, love it. It is a HE washer just like the front loaders, but opens at the top. It has all the cycles including the sanitary one, and one to clean the washer. We have had no trouble out of it and we got it last Feb 2011. We do at least one load of laundry a day and it gets them really dry so they don't take that much time in the dyer.

Forgot to add, it's a Whirlpool Cabrio, with the solid lid.

I HATE my front loading washing machine. It is a Bosch.

"We" bought it because it is supposed to save water, "wring" clothes out more so they don't take as much time in the dryer (saving electricity and time, too), and have a greater capacity.

We have had this machine for maybe? two years max and the metal loop that is supposed to be under the gasket is now sitting on top of my dryer. I have to lay a towel in front of the machine and sort of pray that it will wash another load :glare:. Probably should get a repair person out, but I'm sort of hoping to just get a new machine.

Even before the stupid machine broke, it never totally drained. You have to always leave the main door open and the little "door" to the Soap/bleach compartment open whenever it's not in use (which is maybe 8 hours a day at our house).

The gasket is prone to some pretty hideous black mold.

Also, I just remembered this (I think it was a traumatic repressed memory) . . . I encountered an error message on this particular evil machine and after hours of internet research I finally caved in and called "customer service." I was told, after waiting on hold for half of a day, that the error code that my machine was displaying "did not exist" and that they could not help me!

So then it was personal . . . I spent the rest of my sad and pathetic day online searching for the answer to my laundry question. And then I found it!! Some brilliant and crazy laundry obsessed person had discovered the secrets of the laundry universe . . . I have it written in Sharpie on the front of my now barely functional washing machine . . . The series of buttons to push, knobs to twist, incantations to recite, to get this machine to work again! I have had to revisit these instructions several times to get this machine to release the contents.

So now I figure a wasting a few gallons of water is worth saving my sanity.

~~~ I have had no problems with the dryer. It must be the "good" twin:lol:

If only I could go back to our top loader! I wash diapers and the front loader takes forever, I have to wash and rewash, and it eats the diapers. I can't soak anything because of the water level.

We had a cheap-o Magic Chef top loader. It was awesome. Barebones, always did what it was suppose to do.

We had that Magic Chef for over 10 years, before I "upgraded." Gosh, I wish I would've kept it. Never once had any problems...and no lint.

My Magic Chef JUST died after 18 trouble-free years. Do they still make these? I don't want chips, or doors to maintain, or cycles that last longer than 45 minutes. I don't live in the desert, and I want to use lots of warm water to clean my clothes!

I have a maytag epic frontload (made by whirlpool - epic fail.) I LOVE being able to wash down in it ,and it comes out fabulous. I use oxyclean, allow to airdry, and never had mildew buildup/odor in the machine. I can wash delicates and they do well. however, it has been an epic fail. I bought it because consumer reports rated it highly. glad I bought an extended warranty (the ONLY time I've ever bought one), as I had to replace it after only a few years. we finally came to a settlement today with the warranty company - dh read the fine print, nothing about not covering shipping/tax which is a big part of the cost, and ultimatly threatened small claims court to get them to up their offer.

I ordered a front loader from LG (I have an LG dryer), that should be coming in the next week or so. (found a great deal online). I will NEVER buy a GE, Whirlpool (I loathed my toploader), Maytag (made by whirlpool), again.

eta: I bought another front loader because I like that I can wash delicates, and they come clean and nice. (impossilbe in my old whirlpool higher end toploader). I can wash down. They use less water, less energy (with seven people, it adds up fast), and things are cleaner and clothes last longer.

Edited by gardenmom5

I love my LG front loaders.

I had Maytag Neptune front loaders before this pair, and I was happy with them, too.

I do probably 25+ loads a week. The LG pair have been very reliable so far (about a year) and I love them. They have great capacity, easy to use, efficient, and great in every way.

I'd never go back to top loaders because of:

1) water and energy efficiency

2) easy to run large items/blankets etc in the front loader since you don't have the agitator thing to tangle stuff up

3) easy to run a truly delicate or handwash cycle (which I do about daily due to running/yoga/bras/swimwear)

ETA: I've never had a problem with the LG getting smelly. I occasionally had that with the circa 2000 Maytag Neptune. I do SO MUCH washing that I don't think anything has a chance to grow funky in my washers. I also do hot loads at least a couple times a week, so that might help, too. My LG has a clean/sanitize cycle to wash the funkies away, but I have only used that a couple times, and I have *never* had smellies even though I don't do that cycle.

Edited by StephanieZ

• Whirlpool Duet FL -- both washer and dryer
  • Had them for ten years
  • Love them -- no problems except we broke the selector knob off of dryer and had to replace it (our fault -- not a design flaw)
  • I keep door to FL washer open when not in use to allow it to dry so it doesn't get stinky. It helps tremendously if I wipe out the door gasket (even underneath it where little socks and dog hair accumulate) with a diluted bleach solution -- it doesn't get stinky then

Get an old fashioned top loader that has the control panel as "manual" as possible. You may even want to get a used one and just fix what needs fixing.

Our washer is old and the control panel has options that are almost impossible to find anymore. I move the knob manually to set the wash time. I can choose a warm rinse. I can manually force it to rinse, or spin, or whatever. I am in control of the machine. Last time we had it repaired - it needed a spring - the repair guy told me to not ever get rid of it, because they do not make control panels like that anymore. Just keep replacing the parts that wear out. He said the parts in the new washers do not hold up as well and the control panel options are all more automatic. I went online looking at new washers and I see what he means. The automatic settings of the new washers would drive me nuts.

My mom just got a new on (like yesterday) she was told that most of the new top-loaders coming out have no agitator. I thought that was pretty awesome!!!

I have a top loader and prefer it. My father does washing machine repair and claims top loaders are far simpler and easier to service, and front loaders, if they break down mid-cycle, can make a pretty big mess in your laundry room (because you can't open them up without dumping the water in the washer). I used a friends very expensive front loader when travelling and wasn't impressed. It didn't get the clothes as clean and it took FOREVER to get through a cycle (well over an hour). I didn't try with diapers, but I don't have much faith (and I have two in cloth).

I have a base model GE top loader from about 4 years ago. It does a better job in 30 minutes flat. Washes diapers with no problem. It was cheap. I don't know if it will last forever, but so far, so good!

A pp mentioned that the ring on a front loader always smells. We had this problem at one point and I guess that it is common. To solve the problem, I have found the following helpful: Clean the underside of the rim frequently (I use those cleaning wipes for this); after using the machine, it is recommended that you leave the door open to let the inside air dry; add a bit of vinegar in with each load when you put in your liquid detergent.

The vinegar has really helped to get rid of any odor. You don't smell it on the clothing (at least I have never noticed it - clothes smell like Tide), and the vinegar is a natural cleaner for both the machine and the clothes. This step has really made a huge difference. We do not have any odor at all now!

Six years ago we bought a Kenmore washer(front loading) and dryer. They have been nothing but trouble. They were both under warranty for 5 years and we had service people out here constantly. The washer would shake all over the floor(replaced shocks twice), barrel wouldn't spin, console cracked and felt apart around the soap dispenser, it leaked(seal replaced twice)......and on and on......When the warranty was up we purchased a top loading LG from Home Depot and I love it. We still have the Kenmore dryer. Any clothing with straps(drawstring shorts or sweats, bras or tank tops) get ruined in the dryer. The barrel has been replaced 3 times. As soon as we have the money, a new dryer is at the top of the list.

Right, go to Consumer Reports and check it out. I would get another brand.

The year I bought my Frigidaire set, it was Consumer Reports' Best Buy (remember--the smaller set that can be stacked. It still takes care of "regular"-sized loads; it just isn't as girnomous as many of the other front-loaders). :)