Menu

Front load washer vs. Top load AS MANY OPINIONS AS I CAN Get!!!!

The year I bought my Frigidaire set, it was Consumer Reports' Best Buy (remember--the smaller set that can be stacked. It still takes care of "regular"-sized loads; it just isn't as girnomous as many of the other front-loaders). :)

I bought a maytage epic front loader because consumer reports rated it very highly (I couldn't afford their #1). It has been an epic fail. we bought an extended warranty (so glad), and are being paid off becuase it is cheaper than fixing it.

I now do far more review reading than just CR.

eta: I bought a new LG (great deal though) for LESS than it would cost to fix my maytag.

Edited by gardenmom5

The year I bought my Frigidaire set, it was Consumer Reports' Best Buy (remember--the smaller set that can be stacked. It still takes care of "regular"-sized loads; it just isn't as girnomous as many of the other front-loaders). :)

Yes, unfortunately, I had the same set and it was nothing but problems for us. Then I bought the same set again, nothing but problems. I don't always trust consumer reports.

Our Kenmore front loader does fit huge loads that our top loader could never handle. Uses very little detergent (you don't actually have to use the special front loading detergent. Just half of the regular detergent amount so it doesn't get too sudsy). Sometimes it does twist the clothes especially sheets all together in a big wrinkly knot, but it never tears them like the agitator did. The spin cycle is definitely more efficient than the top loader. Good if you are air drying.

Dislike my front loader.

pros:

[*]It saves water. We bought it during a drought.

[*]You can stuff a lot of clothes in it.

[*]It is less likely to damage clothes. (In our old top-loader, they used to get caught under the agitator sometimes and ripped.)

cons:

[*]Mildew is a huge problem. You have to wipe out the rubber gasket around the opening after each use or water collects there and generates mildew. In a top loader, the water drains out the bottom.

[*]It takes forever to do a load--over an hour in many cases. This causes laundry build-up problems because people can't get their load in in a timely manner. Then getting caught up is harder.

[*]You can't dye clothes in it.

Dislike my front loader.

pros:

[*]It saves water. We bought it during a drought.

[*]You can stuff a lot of clothes in it.

[*]It is less likely to damage clothes. (In our old top-loader, they used to get caught under the agitator sometimes and ripped.)

cons:

[*]Mildew is a huge problem. You have to wipe out the rubber gasket around the opening after each use or water collects there and generates mildew. In a top loader, the water drains out the bottom.

[*]It takes forever to do a load--over an hour in many cases. This causes laundry build-up problems because people can't get their load in in a timely manner. Then getting caught up is harder.

[*]You can't dye clothes in it.

I forgot about dyeing!! I dye things in my washer from time to time (clothes, playsilks, etc) and it is very convenient! I'd hate to lose that ability.

Just to add to the mix: Energy Saving Devices that won't necessarily save you money.

Front-Load Washers

While more efficient front-load washers do use less resources and offer ecological advantages, the high price of purchasing these units — often as much as double the cost of a conventional washing machine — means you’re not likely to recoup your original investment for a very long time, if at all. And the high cost of servicing these machines means one mechanical mishap can wipe out the chance of saving any money at all.

That said, in states with high energy costs, like California and Hawaii, an energy-efficient washer is a purchase that could make sense. So before you rush out to buy the latest, great appliance, crunch the numbers to see how much you’ll really be saving.

Whirlpool Duet HT set

We have had it for about 8 years? We have never had a service call, no problems. We don't have a mildew issue because we leave the door slightly open when it is not running to let air circulate. There is kind of a lint build up that happens on the edge of the glass door, but we just periodically wipe it off.

We don't come NEAR using the amount of soap that the bottles recommend.

Just to add to the mix: Energy Saving Devices that won't necessarily save you money.

Front-Load Washers

While more efficient front-load washers do use less resources and offer ecological advantages, the high price of purchasing these units — often as much as double the cost of a conventional washing machine — means you’re not likely to recoup your original investment for a very long time, if at all. And the high cost of servicing these machines means one mechanical mishap can wipe out the chance of saving any money at all.

That said, in states with high energy costs, like California and Hawaii, an energy-efficient washer is a purchase that could make sense. So before you rush out to buy the latest, great appliance, crunch the numbers to see how much you’ll really be saving.

and just 'cause it's a front loader, doesn't mean it doesn't use a ton of energy. the one our extended warranty company used as a comparable uses 200kwh. twice as much as the one I bought. so, do crunch numbers.

Yes, unfortunately, I had the same set and it was nothing but problems for us. Then I bought the same set again, nothing but problems. I don't always trust consumer reports.

Guess I should count my lucky stars. And I feel your pain. :-(

My first front-loader should have been painted yellow and hung on a tree. :glare: So I bought this one with great trepidation. I'm so happy I hit gold this time.

We have the Samsung with all the bells and whistles that we got on sale at Best Buy when it was 1/2 off. We've had it 2 years now, I think, and it's been great! We do dry off the inner door and the rubber inside and out. We also leave the door open for it to dry as well and pretty much leave it open most of the time. We've not had any trouble with it smelling or any problems and we haven't done the monthly cleaning detergent (Affresh?) or whatever that is that you are supposed to use. I do run a rinse and spin cycle with bleach periodically, though. I was hesitant at first, but it's turned out to be just fine. I would research brands, though, because they are not all the same. LG and Samsung are good choices, in my opinion. Wait for a sale, too, if you can.

I have often heard that top loaders with no agitator are tough on clothes -- anyone experienced that??

I haven't had any problems at all with my LG top loader (link to the one I have is on the first page of this thread.) There's no agitator in the center, so there's nothing for the laundry to wrap around. Also, there are about a gazillion different wash settings you can choose from, so you're pretty much guaranteed to find the ones that work best with your kind of laundry.

I forgot to mention earlier that my top loader has no mold/mildew smell whatsoever, but I do leave it open a crack at the top as a precaution. (I just prop it open with an empty paper towel roll to let a little air circulate into the washer. I've been told it's not necessary, but I know the horror stories of trying to get rid of the mildew smell in some of the front loaders, so when I bought my top loader, I decided not to take any chances.)

The only potential downside of the washer I bought is that, if you're not too tall, you might not be able to reach all the way to the bottom of it to remove your laundry (it's huge and deep in there!) I'm 5'5" tall and I have no trouble at all, but I remember the salesperson at Home Depot saying that some people can't reach to the bottom unless they're on a step stool, so that's why I thought I'd mention it.

We also got front loaders and stacked them to conserve space. I don't like them. I find them awkward to load and unload. We have to use a laundry basket to move small items. It's a lot of bending and lifting which is no good for my back. Plus the washer gets smelly. We do use smellywasher (http://www.smellywasher.com/), but we didn't have this problem with the old washers and dryers.

I also don't like that the time for the wash cycle and the dry cycle is so "off." With the old machines, both cycles took about half an hour and you could switch things over at the same time. With these, the wash takes about an hour and the drying takes only 20-30 min.

If you need to squeeze your w/d into a small space, it works. But I prefer the older machines.

I haven't had any problems at all with my LG top loader (link to the one I have is on the first page of this thread.) There's no agitator in the center, so there's nothing for the laundry to wrap around. Also, there are about a gazillion different wash settings you can choose from, so you're pretty much guaranteed to find the ones that work best with your kind of laundry.

I forgot to mention earlier that my top loader has no mold/mildew smell whatsoever, but I do leave it open a crack at the top as a precaution. (I just prop it open with an empty paper towel roll to let a little air circulate into the washer. I've been told it's not necessary, but I know the horror stories of trying to get rid of the mildew smell in some of the front loaders, so when I bought my top loader, I decided not to take any chances.)

The only potential downside of the washer I bought is that, if you're not too tall, you might not be able to reach all the way to the bottom of it to remove your laundry (it's huge and deep in there!) I'm 5'5" tall and I have no trouble at all, but I remember the salesperson at Home Depot saying that some people can't reach to the bottom unless they're on a step stool, so that's why I thought I'd mention it.

Thank you for sharing that. I'm tall, so no problem with reaching into a machine. My machine is, alas, on the first floor of the house, so I don't want a front loader that vibrates too much. But I do need a new machine and want something big enough to take a quilt.

I see an LG model right in the middle of the CU ratings. But reading the negative comments on CU ratings (plus personal experience), I need to do more research. Thanks for your input!

• 1 year later...

:bigear:

How do you guys with little-people leave the door open on your front loaders? (My dryer has a purposefully hard-to-open door, I believe, for the keeping-little-kids-out-of-it reason.

I'm hesitant to look into a FL for that very must-leave-door-open or high-maintenance must-wipe-off-gasket stuff. It just wouldn't get done at our house and/or will lead to trouble.

*current TL washer is 16 years old, so I know I'm looking at a replacement at some point*

:bigear:

How do you guys with little-people leave the door open on your front loaders? (My dryer has a purposefully hard-to-open door, I believe, for the keeping-little-kids-out-of-it reason.

I'm hesitant to look into a FL for that very must-leave-door-open or high-maintenance must-wipe-off-gasket stuff. It just wouldn't get done at our house and/or will lead to trouble.

*current TL washer is 16 years old, so I know I'm looking at a replacement at some point*

I have had my ASKO front loader for about 12 years. I have never ever left the front door open and have only wiped the front seal about 5 times.

I had a really nice Whirlpool Duet front loader. I hated it. It did get our clothes clean. I hated leaving the door open - my toddler was always closing it for me. I hated not being able to add more pieces of laundry without a hassle and a mess. We had a house fire about a year after our purchase. When I replaced the washer and dryer, I went back to a top loader. I like it so much more. It is a kenmore and it is huge. It holds as much as the front loader.

Suzanne

I TAKE IT BACK!!!! :eek: I just googled...

Although, if I was gauranteed that it would work for over 10 years with no problems it would be tempting.

My Miele set was made in 1998, my moms in 2000.

She's had zero repairs, I've had 2things I think? The ex did them. I changed the gasket myself last year (ex washed a screwdriver in his pocket), I had a major leak after that from somewhere else - so I quit using it. I bummed around the laundromat and friends house and finally took on trying to get it fixed. I called Miele (awesome customer service) to get a price on a repair call and that guy spent over an hour on the phone with me talking me thru checking some things out. Turns out my major leak was the drain clean out having some sand in the threads. Oops. Then my minor leak is in this hose I need to order for $43. It will be an easy fix.

So I think in the 15 years, it's had no more than $200 spent on it, and does an amazing job cleaning and is quiet. Oh how happy I am to have my washer back working.....

So there is your Miele testimonial of the day.

Oh, and do check out the laundry forum on ivillage/this home site. I'll link it later when I'm not mobile.

We've had a Fisher Paykel Aquasmart (topload HE) washer for the past 3 years and I love it like it's one of my own children. We bought it to replace a seriously bad LG front loader (which died a horrible and very wet death when the drum broke and it flooded our entire house 3 days before Christmas. That wasn't it's only major issue, either.) I have nothing but excellent things to say about our F&P washer. Everything is clean, including cloth diapers, it's easy on our clothes, and most importantly nothing stinks (like it did with our FLer.) I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I have a Maytag Bravos top-load with agitator. I love it. I bought it to replace my Whirlpool Calypso (top load without agitator; said to be the same action as a front loader), which I HATED with a raging passion! That was the worst, most horrendous excuse for a machine EVER invented and it was not cheap, either. I suffered through it for five years. It wouldn't get clothes clean, especially dh's work clothes (he's in construction). I gave up using cloth diapers because I could never get them smelling fresh, though I tried every tip and trick under the sun, tried all different soaps and detergents, did everything but chant magic spells and wave crystals over it. :tongue_smilie: I also lost several articles of clothing that became trapped under the disk.

Because of my experience with that horrid machine, you could not give me a front loader, even free and clear. I personally think any machine that is meant to use little water is terrible because it doesn't use enough water. Clothes don't get really clean, mold builds up and the machine stinks, you end up needing to use more detergent, etc.

Whatever you do, do not consider a Whirlpool Calypso or similar agitator-less top loader in your wildest, dizziest fantasy!

This. I have a TL high efficiency machine with no agitator. I hate it. Dh's work clothes are never clean.

I have friends with various FL brands, and they have issues with mold, leaks, stains, etc.

I used cloth diapers with my older dc. I know I will never be able to clean them in my new machine, so I will be getting a regular TL with agitator that fills to the top.

I have a Kenmore Elite HE top loader (no agitator) and love it. No problems in the 6 years we've owned it. It gets our clothes very clean. I have not owned a front loader, but I'm not sure I want one anyway since I've had success with a top loader. If I can say one bad thing about it, it would be that my little people can't do laundry. The barrel is really deep. (I can't turn off the underline 😒).

I bought a front load from a second hand repair place (~$75), it was left in the shed for a few several months after we moved. I pay a sewer bill - they measure based on incoming water. It was consistently around $20. Finally got DH to install the front load at the start of the year. Sewer bill dropped to under $10 a month. DH and I have racked our brains and we can't think of any other changes. I love my front load washer. I also notice the dryer takes less time to finish with the front load. I do have to be more careful unloading the front load than a top load, or clothes fall on the floor. But I can live with that.

This is a really old thread.

SPEED QUEEN is fantastic. Top loader with a big tub, small agitator. Clothes get clean, even ds's white gym socks that are black with dirt on the bottom. Control panel is old-fashioned dials -- YOU choose, no programming, no lid lock.

If you search WTM, you will find some other posts that recommend it.

I bought my first Kenmore HE 12 years ago. It's still running strong, still cleaning clothes really well, and still doesn't stink or have any nasty mold. We did have to replace the apron thingy once (something got in there and tore it up), I've replaced the pump once (at the 10yr. mark), and had a clogged hose once...but still going strong. My dryer...that's another story...we left my washer/dryer at my folks place and got a new one when we moved. Bought the new HE3 (might actually be made by Samsung...) 2 years ago. No mold, no stink, as far as I know, I don't do anything special. I do use the Sanitary cycle at least once or twice a week, and I do leave the door ajar. I wipe it clean with a damp rag before I run the rags or towels. I wash 7 loads a week, not including bedding (that would be 10 loads). During summer swim season I run an extra load of towels. I've never washed cloth diapers, doubt I ever will...but if you can't tell, I've had a great run with the Kenmore front loaders.

Get an old fashioned top loader that has the control panel as "manual" as possible. You may even want to get a used one and just fix what needs fixing.

Our washer is old and the control panel has options that are almost impossible to find anymore. I move the knob manually to set the wash time. I can choose a warm rinse. I can manually force it to rinse, or spin, or whatever. I am in control of the machine. Last time we had it repaired - it needed a spring - the repair guy told me to not ever get rid of it, because they do not make control panels like that anymore. Just keep replacing the parts that wear out. He said the parts in the new washers do not hold up as well and the control panel options are all more automatic. I went online looking at new washers and I see what he means. The automatic settings of the new washers would drive me nuts.

This. Had an HE top loader, cabrio I think, and in the less than 5 years I had it, it just had problems and I don't feel like it got clothes clean very well. I had to run diapers through 3 times - where's the efficiency in that? I've got a speed queen top loader now. Bare bones, no expensive digital computer parts to malfunction. Clothes come out clean and it's fast.

Washer #1: Kenmore front loader, died after 10 years of heavy use when the spider (the framework that holds the drum in place) died - a frequent cause of front loader fatalities. Our appliance guy was astounded it lived so long - apparently they had a reputation for early demise. He recommended we replace it with...

Washer #2: Whirlpool Duet front loader. Total lemon. Had to replace the door gasket twice, and after only three years the spider fell to pieces. I thought the drum was going to leap out and fling itself out the window. Our appliance guy felt horribly guilty. This time we did research, agreed with an article by an engineer claiming US machines have the spider fall apart because American consumers want a load done quickly compared to Europeans who will wait much longer for a load to go through, so the machines just tear themselves to pieces - and the US manufacturers use cheap spiders to begin with. Miele was tempting, but reviewers said it was really hard to get parts and service. So we went with

Washer #3: Samsung, plus an extended warranty (which Consumer Reports, in a volte-face, now recommends for large appliances). Has washed beautifully, if more slowly, for a year. Also, when it finishes a load of laundry it plays Schubert's Die Forelle, which I think you will not find as a feature in the Whirlpool.

This time we did research, agreed with an article by an engineer claiming US machines have the spider fall apart because American consumers want a load done quickly compared to Europeans who will wait much longer for a load to go through, so the machines just tear themselves to pieces - and the US manufacturers use cheap spiders to begin with.

I agree with this.... my Miele takes an hour and half to do a regular load. Nice and slow, spins at 1600 rpm, quiet, and CLEAN! :p

Miele was tempting, but reviewers said it was really hard to get parts and service.

Service was an issue when we moved to FL. They didn't have a center in Orlando, and the dealers to the north of us refused to service it because we didn't buy from them. Miele tried and they refused THEM, and finally sold us the part directly that they normally don't. We have never had issues getting parts, and they now have someone in Orlando that will service us if needed.

But hey, I won't EVER shop at the people north if/when I need to replace it!

I have one of each in the house. The top-loader is a teensy bit gentler on clothes, and we only have cold water hooked up to it, so we use that for delicates. The front-loader is AWESOME for lint, and for getting clothes much, much drier to start with--so they don't have to be hung up as long. Also, my front loader can get out stains that my top-loader can't. YMMV

Be very wary about front load washers. I've had one for about six or seven years and it periodically stinks. You can find a bunch of threads on this forum about this problem. As near as I can tell, every brand has it.

There is a huge expansion of products that are geared at this. Go look in the laundry aisle of your grocery store and you will find crystals to put in with the load to make it smell good. You will find special products to run through the machine periodically to "clean" it.

The truth is this problem didn't exist before the front load washer came on the scene. I'm not sure exactly what causes it, but I assume there is some problem in the general design of them (places where water sits long enough to get moldy).

I have a Whirlpool Duet Washer and Dryer set. I've had them for almost 11 years so they have the manual dial with only push button to start. I use them every day. I have never had a problem with smells, probably because they don't get to sit. ;) I do periodically run an empt load on hot water with bleach and detergent to keep everything clean. When I wash my husbands work clothes I either manually add more water (there is a slot in the drawer to add water), or I wash them twice on shorter loads.

I never had a problem with cloth diapers, Happy Heiny with hemp liners. I did a cold water rinse, washed them with Tide in warm or hot water, and ran another short wash as a second rinse. I never had buildup or smelly diapers.

I will try and keep this set as long as possible because they are easy to get parts for and my DH can do the work. All the manuals and videos are on the web.

I have Bosch front loaders. I have had the set for 6 or 7 years and I still love them. No stink, no mildew or any other front loader problems that others complain about. When I bought my set, Bosch used the least amount of water and energy, but I haven't researched washers/dryers in a long time so I don't know about current brands and models.

We have an old fashioned, Top Loading, Whirlpool washing machine. (in Spanish, "lavadora"). I named her "lava la lavadora" and she has been in constant and very frequent use, for more than 18 years. She is my wife's "best friend"... The first 9 years, she was outside (We live in a Tropical Valley, so freezing is not a possibility here). Parts are readily available, but the only parts she seems to need is a set of 4 tiny pieces of Plastic, that cost approximately USD$6 here, and my wife replaces them, every year or so now. If we had to buy another washing machine today, we would buy the same kind of old fashioned machine. Our next door neighbors have 2 washing machines, for different uses. One of them is a Colombian brand, Top Loading, and has been in use for approximately 30 years. I do not believe the new technology washing machines have that kind of lifespan, but I have no experience with them.

When our washing machine was about 8 years old, there was a problem and we had a Whirlpool serviceman come to our house. He could not believe that it was the first service call for the machine, because it was so clean inside. He asked what kind of detergent we use. We told him FAB Detergent. He told us never to change the kind of detergent in a machine, because it can cause a chemical war inside the machine. GL with your choice...

We have a Whirlpool Cabrio HE top loader with no agitator. Be aware that there was an older version of this machine that ate clothes. The current version does not eat clothes. I've been very happy with it. I've had it 4 years now, I think? Seems like my old washer broke down when my youngest was a newborn or maybe shortly before he was born, and he just turned 4.

Pros:

- Clothes are clean

- Spins clothes very fast (like front loader HE machines do), so less drying time

- Can fill with more water if you need it - you're not stuck completely with miniscule amounts of water

- Easy to leave door open

- The window in the door is great entertainment for little kids :D

Cons:

- Long wash cycle (55ish minutes)

- Mine never would really get cloth diapers clean like my old non-HE washer did (before it started eating clothes/diapers)... I haven't had problems getting regular clothes clean, just diapers

- If you need to add clothes, you have to hit the Pause button, let it unlock, then toss the clothes in and hit Start - so takes a bit longer than the old fashioned top loader

I had the Whirlpool Duet set, bought in 2005. I thought I loved it. Like, really, really loved it. It was my first w/d after years of laundromats.

The dryer broke and was going to cost $250 just to be looked at, and the washer was on its last legs (and, frankly, unfixably smelly) so we took advantage of Lowe's recent sale and splurged on the LG frontloaders.

NOW I'm really in love. I'm finding extra things to wash just because I'm so amazed at how much cleaner everything is coming out. I love the steam options (for the washer AND for the dryer.) I love that it sings to me instead of buzzes at me, lol.

It's only bee a couple of weeks, so I can't speak to the long term, but it beats my old Duet for sure!

Top load

LG (don't know the model)

2 years

I really like my washer. I chose a top loader because of increased capacity, ability to soak (I don't use that as much as I used to though), and because I often need to interrupt to add things (which after a certain point in the cycle you cannot do with a front loader). I am pleased. The only occasional problem I have is with those synthetic microplush blankets - they always seem to throw the wash off balance. My washer has incredibly high capacity, like I can wash about twice as much as I could in my moms front loader.

One thing I will say about getting any appliance is don't go whole hog. Very very few brands make durable appliances any more. They are designed to last about 10 years at most. So don't blow the bank or go after whiz bang features.

I have an LG Front Loader. Not sure if it's the brand or the front loading, but I hate it too.

How old? Our six month old LG front loader is an absolute dream. Clothes are super clean, no front-loader mildew, the gasket is a wide-open channel, so no gunk build-up, huge capacity, great controls.

This. I have a TL high efficiency machine with no agitator. I hate it. Dh's work clothes are never clean.

I have friends with various FL brands, and they have issues with mold, leaks, stains, etc.

I used cloth diapers with my older dc. I know I will never be able to clean them in my new machine, so I will be getting a regular TL with agitator that fills to the top.

Our LG front-loader has no mold, does not leak or cause stains, and gets even our grubbiest, stinkiest stuff super clean. I have brought things home from my MIL's (new top-loader) and had to re-wash them, fearing the worst, but nope ... Stinks and stains came right out.

You do want to take the time to ensure these puppies are properly balanced though. Once you have that, you're home free.

My parents have a Maytag FL that they have had for over 10 years and love. When my old TL died about 3 years ago, I went to buy a FL but the salesman told me about the Fisher and Paykel top loader. It adjusts the water based on the amount of clothes and has a high rpm spin cycle like a FL. The clothes come out very dry. I haven't had any complaints so far.

I prefer top-loaders. I wash diapers and the kids' muddy clothes. Top loaders do a better job at getting the very yucky stuff clean.

My mom has a top of the line FL and she is not happy with it....same gripes about mildew, not able to add that hidden sock to the load mid-wash, etc...