Menu

PSA: Please keep your sick kid home!

GWOB

Seriously. If you show up to church with a kid who has a fever, that's a little rude. If your kid is noticably sick and someone has to suggest you bring your kid home because a number of other families have just gotten over a variety of illnesses, you should NOT bring that kid to homeschool activities (PE!!!!) the very next day. Also, you should not boss around other people's kids while your fever kid is hanging on everyone.

Lady, this should be common sense. You have repeatedly yelled at the group and demanded that every event be nut-free since one of your kids gets itchy sometimes around nuts. (Yes, I know how serious nut allergies can be, but this 12yo has never had a serious contact reaction, only mild-to-moderate hives with ingestion.)

Yes. I know you probably just want to get out of your house. I get that. But you know what? Sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal with the fact that your kid/kids are sick. We don't want your cooties. We just got rid of our own cooties. You know how we disappeared for 2 weeks? That was because we were sick and didn't want to spread our cooties.

Yes, I know 'tis the season for giving and all that, but keep your d*mn germs to yourself.

:rant:

Edited by wendilouwho
changes "boos" to "boss". Need more caffeine.

One of my favorites, as someone drops their kid off in the nursery:

'He had a fever this morning, but I gave him some tylenol and it's gone now.' - Uh, no, it isn't. You gave him tylenol. That does NOT mean he's all better!!! :blink:

Or, another one:

'Yeah, she really hasn't been feeling well the last couple days. She'll probably be fussy.' - as she hands me a kid with snot running out of her nose, who wants to do nothing but cry and lay on my shoulder - and who is acting as a heating pad, because she is NOT the temperature of a normal toddler.

Gotta love people... Unfortunately... :glare: :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

My kids are VERY prone to strep and if I suspect one might have it we stay home. Period. It takes a negative long term culture or 48 hrs on an antibiotic (with a positive strep test) before we venture out.

I know a lot of people with compromised immune systems. I won't take the chance on infection if I know we are sick. I wish others would do the same.

'He had a fever this morning, but I gave him some tylenol and it's gone now.' - Uh, no, it isn't. You gave him tylenol. That does NOT mean he's all better!!! :blink:

Or, another one:

'Yeah, she really hasn't been feeling well the last couple days. She'll probably be fussy.' - as she hands me a kid with snot running out of her nose, who wants to do nothing but cry and lay on my shoulder - and who is acting as a heating pad, because she is NOT the temperature of a normal toddler.

Our church nursery does not accept children who are obviously sick or have had fever, vomiting etc. in the last 24 hours or have been on abx for less than 48 hours. Someone needs to back up the teachers/workers, be the "bad guy" and enforce a reasonable sick child policy.

YES! Maybe I live an incredibly boring life, but I honestly can't think of anything that I just can't.miss in our day-to-day lives. Nothing is so important as to drag an ill child out of the house to attend. I hate when parents send an e-mail out asking if you're ok with their bringing green snotty 101 fever Johnny to co-op today and everyone else is cool with it! I'm not, but I feel backed into a corner in that situation. I just feel like I'd come off as a B. :glare:

I have asthma, so when I get a cold or any nasty it often travels to my lungs quickly giving me a super awesome case of bronchitis or the like. I'm tired of showing up at classes, co-ops, church, etc and seeing half the kids visibly ill! Dealing with sick kids is brutal----don't share!

OK, I think I'm done now. :tongue_smilie:

Or, another one:

That one gets me every time. Seriously? Do you think Tylenol is like some sort of internal Lysol? Tylenol doesn't kill the germs. Your kid can still spread that crap even though the Tylenol has brought down the fever.

This same woman has brought her kid into PE knowing he felt sick to the stomach. Yep. That kid puked all over.

Sometimes I really hate stupid people.

Hear! Hear! I agree. Please don't show up when you think your child has pink eye but you haven't checked it out and wonder if I will still watch your child......What??

My SIL and MIL did this to us this spring. No one said anything about the youngest having it til we showed up for the weekend we were invited up for (6 hours from home). They knew 2 days in advance and had even talked to us. When we said something we were told that the kids "were looking forward to the visit". I got to spend the next 3 weeks fighting pink eye in an infant, a toddler, a preschooler, and a p****d off mommy (whom got it TWICE).

So my addition to your PSA is: If you child is sick or has a contagious infection, let me know BEFORE I arrive at your home!

I was blessed by my nieces the first year DH & I were married. We were visiting out of town and the girls were sick and not isolated but hanging on me. I spent Christmas sick at my parents. Apparently I was lucky as I missed Christmas dinner where their grandpa was sick. :tongue_smilie: We have at least a 24 hour rule and I am considering making it 48.

Seriously. If you show up to church with a kid who has a fever, that's a little rude. If your kid is noticably sick and someone has to suggest you bring your kid home because a number of other families have just gotten over a variety of illnesses, you should NOT bring that kid to homeschool activities (PE!!!!) the very next day. Also, you should not boss around other people's kids while your fever kid is hanging on everyone.

Lady, this should be common sense. You have repeatedly yelled at the group and demanded that every event be nut-free since one of your kids gets itchy sometimes around nuts. (Yes, I know how serious nut allergies can be, but this 12yo has never had a serious contact reaction, only mild-to-moderate hives with ingestion.)

Yes. I know you probably just want to get out of your house. I get that. But you know what? Sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal with the fact that your kid/kids are sick. We don't want your cooties. We just got rid of our own cooties. You know how we disappeared for 2 weeks? That was because we were sick and didn't want to spread our cooties.

Yes, I know 'tis the season for giving and all that, but keep your d*mn germs to yourself.

A friend of my kids (teens) slept over on a Friday and spent the whole next day with all of us. When we were dropping her off I found out she hadn't been in school W-F because she was so sick.:glare: She is under strict orders to let me know first that she's been ill. (I understand she didn't want to miss sleeping over but we would've rescheduled)

p.s. I like your signature info!

YES! Our HS group went to a performance at a theater today. The kid behind us was coughing horribly and sniffling (grossly) through the WHOLE show. :glare:

Not only was it very rude and distracting, but I pray that she didn't spray us with germs and spread whatever she had to my 7 yr old - who has asthma that acts up when she gets a respiratory illness.

(Reminder to myself to carry some disposable masks in my purse for her when we got to crowded public events like that. )

Well spoken!

I was a daycare teacher (18-36 months) for a couple of years, and I was yelled at for "missing work too much." ??? I thought I wasn't supposed to come in when I was sick, and guess why I was sick, despite washing my hands so often my skin nearly sloughed off? That was at the area's premier, nearly college-tuition-level center, too.

These days, it's a different beef. "Since you're home all day with your kids (actually, we often are not) and little Johnny has to stay home with a fever, can he just come play at your house since he can't go to school?"

Ah, sorry; wish I could, but we have a class and sports scheduled during the day today, and Johnny needs to be home sleeping, not being dragged out on field trips with us (and getting us sick!); not to mention how hard it is for my kids to get through their work if the neighbor kid is in the next room playing on the Wii. I'll be happy to come babysit tonight if you need to get out and go grocery shopping though.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Sing it.

DH is a university professor and finally decided to tape all of his lectures because he was sick and tired (npi) of students coming to class and hacking up a lung all over their classmates, not to mention trying to come talk to him about they were horribly sick so he shouldn't call on them today. Now he delivers a strong lecture the first day of class with the theme: Nobody wants your germs. Please stay home when you are sick.

Thanksgiving dh's sister came to our house with her children and brought her dog. Guess what the dog was sick and both the kids were. Needless to say since Thanksgiving we have been trying to recover. My kids were sick, I am still sick and my dog was sick. Common sense don't come to someones house over the holidays where food is served and hack and crack all over it and make everyone else sick!

People sometimes really do not have common sense. Public schools are the worst. I don't know how many times I have shown up in my older children's classes and seen snotty faced kids all over the room, or some so sick they just lay their heads on the desk. It is so sad.

I agree for the most part. I try not to let my girls out of the house for 24 hours AFTER a fever is gone. I am more tolerant with colds than I am with the stomach bugs when other people are sick. If you are puking, stay home and bar the doors! That said, however,

Nothing is so important as to drag an ill child out of the house to attend.

I have had a few times in 17 years of parenting that my girls were running a fever and they had something very important, usually once a year type things that I have let them attend if they are feeling "up to it." The last I can think of is a year and a half ago we had a homeschool day with our co-op at an amusement park. I did take my dd and we stayed as long as she wanted. This hasn't happened often but I do feel that if there is no puking then sometimes there are exceptions.

Ugh! That drives me crazy! I have friends who will say their kid had a fever but they took Tylenol or Motrin and are fine now. Not having a fever is not the same as being healthy.

Everyone in this thread needs to move here! I am so tired of my kids getting sick. My youngest son spent Christmas in the hospital a couple of years ago, because one of our family members with puking kids did not want to miss our family gathering the week before and did not bother to mention that her kids were sick until after they touched the food and spread their germs (my son had cancer, and every fever led to a hospital visit). :glare:

I am ok with colds now, but if stuff is coming out of places it shouldn't or there is a fever involved stay home!

Agreed! Agreed! Agreed!

That being said, a neighbor and I have combined kids when it was obvious they were all sick with the same thing (fever, sniffles, lethargy, no vomiting). It's only happened twice, but it let one of us get errands done while the children were ill.

Our church nursery does not accept children who are obviously sick or have had fever, vomiting etc. in the last 24 hours or have been on abx for less than 48 hours. Someone needs to back up the teachers/workers, be the "bad guy" and enforce a reasonable sick child policy.

ITA!!! Things have gotten a lot better since back when this would happen...I was considering becoming nursery coordinator and wrote out this HUGE list of ideas and new rules/policies. Then when I decided I didn't want to do it, I gave it all to the new coordinator. :) And we really want to purchase a thermometer for the nursery, so we can verify whether a kid has a fever or not (bc sometimes parents don't exactly tell the truth...unfortunately). Just haven't gotten around to it yet...

Well spoken!

I was a daycare teacher (18-36 months) for a couple of years, and I was yelled at for "missing work too much." ??? I thought I wasn't supposed to come in when I was sick, and guess why I was sick, despite washing my hands so often my skin nearly sloughed off? That was at the area's premier, nearly college-tuition-level center, too.

These days, it's a different beef. "Since you're home all day with your kids (actually, we often are not) and little Johnny has to stay home with a fever, can he just come play at your house since he can't go to school?"

Ah, sorry; wish I could, but we have a class and sports scheduled during the day today, and Johnny needs to be home sleeping, not being dragged out on field trips with us (and getting us sick!); not to mention how hard it is for my kids to get through their work if the neighbor kid is in the next room playing on the Wii. I'll be happy to come babysit tonight if you need to get out and go grocery shopping though.

:svengo:

Oh yeah! It bugs me when people bring sick kids places to spread their germs all over the place. And, I feel badly for the kids, who would probably be a lot better off if they were at home resting.

My sister in law called at 7:30 this morning asking if I would watch my niece, who has been vomiting w/ diarrhea for a week. SIL didn't want to miss school, which I understand, and quite possibly, if I didn't have a million and one holiday things to do, I would have gone over there and watched her myself. I could maybe keep some of the germs at bay. But there's no way I'm going to let SIL bring her over here and get everyone sick. I feel bad because SIL is a single mom, but really, I cannot handle a houseful of barfers for the next week!

I agree for the most part. I try not to let my girls out of the house for 24 hours AFTER a fever is gone. I am more tolerant with colds than I am with the stomach bugs when other people are sick. If you are puking, stay home and bar the doors! That said, however,

I have had a few times in 17 years of parenting that my girls were running a fever and they had something very important, usually once a year type things that I have let them attend if they are feeling "up to it." The last I can think of is a year and a half ago we had a homeschool day with our co-op at an amusement park. I did take my dd and we stayed as long as she wanted. This hasn't happened often but I do feel that if there is no puking then sometimes there are exceptions.

I hope your kiddo had fun. Missing an amusement park field trip would crush my kids. That said, I get keeping away when puke is involved but colds are really awful for me as an asthmatic. I know they aren't a big deal to most people though, so I can see others brushing it off. I wish being exposed to colds wasn't such a dangerous thing for me...I'm sure it has never occurred to the offenders that a cold can really do some damage in those with crappy lungs :(

I hope your kiddo had fun. Missing an amusement park field trip would crush my kids. That said, I get keeping away when puke is involved but colds are really awful for me as an asthmatic. I know they aren't a big deal to most people though, so I can see others brushing it off. I wish being exposed to colds wasn't such a dangerous thing for me...I'm sure it has never occurred to the offenders that a cold can really do some damage in those with crappy lungs :(

Just wanted to clarify...I meant I am more tolerant about other people being around me with a cold, not my kids being out and about with a cold. Like I said, barring special circumstances, my kids stay in.

This is one of my pet peeves. I have neighbors whom I consider friends, and their children regularly play with mine. They are very relaxed about germs and illness and always say they aren't concerned if my kids are sick, etc. they'll still play (the mother says this). However, it annoys me that they assume I don't mind. Under normal circumstances, a typical cold...we might play anyway. But if the neighbor kids are sick (just had a fever, etc.) sometimes I'd like a heads up so I can sort of mentally weigh the risk with what we have coming up. It seems they always seem to get my kids sick just in time for my kids' birthday parties, major holidays, vacations, you name it. I might weigh my options differently prior to big events, so yes, i'd like a heads up! Even if they don't mind illness, maybe I do, you know?

Tonight DD had dance class and nearly every child was coughing, sniffling, wiping noses on their hands. They are 4 and 5 yos, so the hygiene isn't so great. The siblings in the waiting room were sick and coughing. One mom was talking about how both kids were up all night puking last night but they were fine this morning so she sent them to school. Oh, and in DD's dance class they hold hands for lots of things which icks me out this time of the year (again, since they are so young and have pretty bad hygiene and tend to wipe their noses on their hands, etc.). I know I overreact, but we've had years when it seems every major event in our lives is disrupted by illness (vacations, holidays, birthdays).

I'd really rather not have the whole fam sick for Christmas, you know?

Last year DS2 got sick (I belive from the neighbors) right before his first bday party, and we had to cancel it as he had a high fever, was totally lethargic, and miserable. Custom invites, custom favors, you name it, all down the drain. He's my last baby and I was selfishly really looking forward to celebrating his first bday with our friends and family.

I'd at least like the option to be given the choice to avoid!

Edited by Momof3littles

This is one of my pet peeves. My youngest ended up in the hospital with RSV pneumonia twice when she was a baby because of people bringing their sick kids out...once to my boys' birthday party and the 2nd time to a wrestling practice. In a young child RSV is just a very, very runny nose.

One of my favorites was the dad who told me he had to go get his son out of the car to wrestle the match he was supposed to wrestle against my son. The boy had been vomiting all morning and was sleeping in the car waiting for his match to come up. :glare: My response "uh, no. Take him home."

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

We have also had immunocompromised family members spend a week in the hospital (multiple family members) because somebody didn't think that having a fever and throwing up or coughing and running a fever was being "sick". :glare: This was after I asked them if they were sick or had been exposed to someone who was sick. :confused:

I now keep hand sanitizer in my front entry way. You do not get to come in unless you clean your hands.

People always wonder how we never get sick with the flu. It's because we are careful, people.

Last year, I skipped the Christmas get together at McD playland because every time I go to one of those places around Christmas, my kids get sick for Christmas. Later, one of the moms told me she thought I was being overreactive at the time yet I was right. Her kids and others that attended were sick for Christmas. I agree, keep the sick kids home.

No it's not.

It's a LOT rude.

:D

I have to admit I did (unknowlingly) bring a sick kid to church. Our church has worship before Sunday School. Little dd was cranky (which is totally normal for her), but I didn't think anything of it. During service, she was very clingy. I felt her head and she was burning. Instead of sending her to SS to infect everyone else, we totally got up and walked right out. I felt terrible about bringing her, but when she gets strep her fever just magically appears out of nowhere.

The incident I was griping about was different. During Advent, the church has dinner before Wed. night Advent services. The kids play around, eat together, and goof off before service time. Too many opportunities to spread the cooties.

Thanks everyone for responding. I think I am sufficiently calm enough to deal with this "lady" again today. Hopefully her kids are healthy. If not, I just may lose my Christmas spirit.

Dirtywordsdirtywordsdirtywords!

Another mom in our group just sent out an email saying her kids were sick and they wouldn't be able to make it to our group Christmas party today. It really sucks that considerate people have to suffer for people who bring their sick kids everywhere!:cursing:

:grouphug: You're preaching to the choir...but yes, yes, yes.

(A good winter motto is, the germ dies here!)

I totally agree about bringing sick kids out in public. I understand you don't like to miss church, but your kid's sniffles could put my kid in the hospital.

DH is a university professor and finally decided to tape all of his lectures because he was sick and tired (npi) of students coming to class and hacking up a lung all over their classmates, not to mention trying to come talk to him about they were horribly sick so he shouldn't call on them today. Now he delivers a strong lecture the first day of class with the theme: Nobody wants your germs. Please stay home when you are sick.

This one is trickier. In the winter I frequently get upper respiratory infections that result in me coughing for a month. I could never miss a month of class in college. For that matter, I had professors that only allowed one absence. So, I never missed class for fear of not being able to miss class when it was worse than coughing.

This is such a pet peeve of mine! Several years ago my dd had play practice for a Christmas program she was in. I had my ds with me in the audience and was chatting with another mom, while our toddlers rolled around on the floor together. Then she 'happens to mention' that her toddler had been vomiting all morning and was running a 101 fever before they left. :glare: I asked her why they didn't just stay home, and she said because her older son 'had' to be at play practice because the director didn't like it when kids missed. Needless to say, I gathered up my child quickly and we left to 'run an errand.' What is wrong with people??

:iagree: What goes though people's heads. Sigh..when my kiddos are sick, I don't WANT them out and about anyway. We have a family rule that fever must be normal for a full 24 hours AFTER all medicine is out of the system, before house quarantine is lifted and all other signs of illness, bad cough, throwing up, the runs, must be cleared up for 48 hours. So if the fever goes first, but the other stuff is hanging around, no dice.