Menu

Do you feel that God loves you?

Do you feel that God loves you?  

1. 1. Do you feel that God loves you?

• Yes. Most of the time I feel His love.
    • I am a believer, but most of the time I don't feel His love.
    • No. This doesn't fit in my belief system at all.

The way I view God isn't like most people. I don't think that God loves me so much as I'm a part of God. If that makes sense, lol.

Also, I think it's easy for us to think that God loves us as we sit here with enough food and computers and internet and nice homes. If I lived in a developing country, however, and had to watch my family starve or endure violence every day, I'd probably have a really difficult time believing God loved me.

Yes, how could I not? He has been so good to me, and I don't deserve it at all.

Yes ma'am. This. :)

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39, KJV

Edited by bethanyniez

Also, I think it's easy for us to think that God loves us as we sit here with enough food and computers and internet and nice homes. If I lived in a developing country, however, and had to watch my family starve or endure violence every day, I'd probably have a really difficult time believing God loved me.

It's not SO easy even here. No one who works with the poor or reads about Haiti or Africa these days, to name a few, can be sanguine about this. But that's when it's even more important.

I don't believe that God loves me because I found a great parking space the day before Christmas. I believe that He loves me because He nourishes me with His Word and Sacraments. I believe that He loves me because the earth is so awesome and stupendous, and yet I live on it, knowing that He figured it out, made it, and sustains it. I believe that He loves me because He died for me, something He did not owe me at all. Even when I almost died, I knew that He loved me. Then more than ever, really.

ETA: So, He does not have to bless me to show that He loves me. "His praise shall ever be in my mouth." (Psalms somewhere)

Edited by Carol in Cal.

ETA: I'm differentiating between feeling and believing.

I said yes if we can include physical feeling with this and not just emotional feeling. When I taste the Eucharist, smell the candles and incense, hear the prayers and chanting, touch the priest's vestments and the icons, feel our priest's hand on my head as he prays the prayer of absolution following confession, see the Divine Liturgy played out every week, taste the food we share in our agape meal, receive the "kiss of peace" from follow parishioners, watch people be baptized and chrismated, etc., I feel (most literally) God's love for me. I try to rely far more on these things than an emotional "up" I might (or might not) feel.

Edited by milovaný

What I feel is hard to describe. It doesn't fit with my religion at all. I guess I feel like He's somewhat apathetic toward me. I don't feel it at all, although I know he does. I guess I have a lot of self-esteem and other issues, but I don't feel it personally. Plus, I see all the suffering in the world and think He's more like, "It doesn't matter how bad it gets, you're still supposed to praise me anyway." I see people around me with lots of blessings and saying, "God is good, look at all the blessings He gave me" while everyone else is supposed to say, "God is good, look at all the blessings He didn't give me"? Like I said, it's weird and hard to describe.

I chose the second option, but it's not really correct, either. I don't believe much anymore in God's personal love for me individually. More of a Universal Source, to which I can connect, which then makes me feel Divine Love.

The way I view God isn't like most people. I don't think that God loves me so much as I'm a part of God. If that makes sense, lol.

This is what I've come to believe. "In him, I live and move and have my being." It's definitely more of a belief than an emotion. Emotions are so fickle and dependent on circumstances.

If I feel anything, it is a connectedness to all of creation, and a sense of wonder about what it took for me to exist today.

I'm not so sure that God has the same kinds of emotions that humans do, which we attribute to him as well. If he loves, it is probably nothing like human love of any kind.

Edited by Onceuponatime

yes I do, now. this was a very hard thing for me for a long time. My grandmother was abusive, and she was abusive while thinking she was pious and threw that in my face. In reality, she worshipped a god of death, hell, fire, and destruction. (even my other grandmother, who I felt was more positive in her beliefs - foresook our family after my father's death - she blamed my mother.)

part of me rejected her views of God. part of me was convinced a real God would be a God of love. the dichotomy was very difficult to resolve, and then only in the last few years. for a long time, I just "wouldn't go there", and compartmentalized my beliefs. I believed intellectually, but I didn't "feel" it. It was a long road for me, but very worth it.

Now, I feel very blessed, I feel God's tender mercies, and His loving kindness. (even when times were very difficult) I now have this child dx with aspergers, and I feel it's because God trusted me to love him, and help him develop his strengths, and overcome his struggles. He is with me, and will be with me.

Edited by gardenmom5

Even in those times when I may not 'feel' God, I trust that he is there. He will bring me through whatever trials I face, although the outcome may not be what I want it to be. To me, goosebumps, unexplained tears, and a 'sixth sense' are all ways that God shows me he is there - and ultimately loves me.

Yes. Very much so. And I've found that it's during those times when the "autism quotient" is high around here, and dd is bounding frenetically off the walls, and dh isn't getting enough work to pay the bills, and somebody is sick and so on and so forth that I really feel God's love fold around me and hold me up and reassure me that ultimately everything will be ok. Although, it's definitely there in the good times too.

It's not SO easy even here. No one who works with the poor or reads about Haiti or Africa these days, to name a few, can be sanguine about this. But that's when it's even more important.

I don't believe that God loves me because I found a great parking space the day before Christmas. I believe that He loves me because He nourishes me with His Word and Sacraments. I believe that He loves me because the earth is so awesome and stupendous, and yet I live on it, knowing that He figured it out, made it, and sustains it. I believe that He loves me because He died for me, something He did not owe me at all. Even when I almost died, I knew that He loved me. Then more than ever, really.

I agree with the above, and, when I get a good parking space I do thank God for it. LOL

I believe in God's love for me in two senses: One, I believe He loves me because He sent His Son to die for my sins. Two, I see his love in personal ways all the time. For example (and this may seem silly to some, but I don't care! :tongue_smilie: ): One day on my way to work, I drove through Subway for lunch. They made a mistake and made my sandwich a foot long instead of a 6 inch, so they gave the extra to me at no additional cost. I thought, "Wow, that's cool, but I already have dinner at work for me, so what will I do with an extra sandwich?" Well, I got to work to find someone had taken my dinner out of the fridge and left it out. It was melted and hot and gooey and had to be tossed. But, I had that extra sandwich! That was one of those "God loves ME" moments.

Yes ma'am. This. :)

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39, KJV

:iagree: I couldn't have said it better myself.

This is more my view as well -- all is in God, and God is in all. For me, God is not a separate entity that does or doesn't love me. That said, I think God (or Spirit) IS love, so yes, I feel loved by Spirit.

I answered yes - it is the truth - and yet articulating what I feel is very difficult for me.

I do believe in God (in the sense of a creator of the universe - the spark behind the big bang, if you will) but I am completely undecided on whether God is involved in our daily lives. Feeling and beliefs are usually tied together for me. And yet - I do feel a positive force in my life. I believe it is a force for anyone to grasp if they choose.

I also know I got lucky.

I couldn't vote because there was no middle ground.

Above all, I'm a practical person. I don't wake up 'in love' my Dh every morning, but I have a long, abiding love for him. Same with the kids. Matter of fact, sometimes I couldn't even look at them. But I deeply loved them.

So no, I don't go around feeling that God loves me, that's not what motivates me. I know He does, and so whether I feel it or not, one foot goes in front of the other.

Actually, if I felt about my marriage, the way I felt about God, I'd be divorced. But I have faith that God's love for me is unwavering, despite what I feel. My Dh, on the other hand is a human, and if he decided one day he didn't love me, then, obviously, we'd have a serious situation to work though, one that would alter our lives.

Now, do I sometimes feel God's love? Absolutely. I've had things happen to me that are for me and my heart alone.

I frequently have to make an *effort* to feel God's love in my life. Just as we count our blessings to feel thankful, I often "stop to smell the roses" and seriously observe His hand in my daily experience. I can't say the number of times a specific Bible verse has come to mind just when I needed it desperately. Inspirational hymns and choruses also flood my mind filling me with comfort and hope.

Last night I said, "I wish I could just skip over the next three weeks and have it be Christmas vacation right now!" Then it occurred to me (you could call it a still small voice) that our Christmas celebration hinges on my approach, and if I want Christmas now, all I have to do is begin celebrating! The evening that followed featured family time together decorating the tree and lots of hugs and kisses under the mistletoe. Christmas came early, all because of my willingness to yield to the inspiration.

This is not to forget the physical and mental healing of family members (one nephew now free of cancer! Through modern medicine and by God's will) I have witnessed. Yes, I can say with all certainty my God loves my family and me, and all of mankind with an awesome love.

ETA: So, He does not have to bless me to show that He loves me. "His praise shall ever be in my mouth." (Psalms somewhere)

Psalms 34--one of our favorites!!!

I KNOW and BELIEVE God loves me--but I don't always feel it. My feelings aren't reliable, anyway. Lately, I've been coming to grips with the reality that His love might not look like what I expect.

Therefore, we're learning 1Cor 13 as a step toward getting a grip on love.

I believe that God is love and that He loves me with a perfect love. I do not always feel it but that doesn't change His nature.

:iagree:

I have seen God work in my and others' lives many times. There are times when I get discouraged about something, miniscule or enormous, and the very next day He will let me see something that counteracts that frustration.

my POV is that

faith is a acceptance -- it is not a feeling.

I do not have to feel good or feel God's love. it is a fact. It is there, gravity is there -- even if i don't think about it --

my feeling, or Whims do not effect God.

some times i feel alone, some time i feel God in the very room

my feeling do not effect God and should not effect my faith

I find this discussion fascinating! For me, God(ess)/Universe/Source is all about the feeling. The Divine connection is how I know Spirit, so I find it very interesting to hear others talk about the feeling being irrelevant. For me, it's not a matter of faith but a matter of experiential knowing. How interesting to read others' perspectives and compare that to my own.

“For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:16-17

This is the only proof I need in order to believe that God loves me. My day-to-day needs being met, and my comfort, are not proof of His love. Although I know He has blessed me with much, I cannot base His love on what I think I need. The main basis of my faith is this verse from the Gospel of John, and knowing that the God who created the universe resides in me.

As to feeling God's love -- I do feel His love most often, but being human I have moods and seasons that affect how I feel and perceive things. Sometimes I feel God's love, and sometimes I don't. But faith should never be based on feelings. Whether I am in a season of feeling His love or not, does not negate the fact that He does love me. In the same way, God's existence is not based on whether or not people believe in Him.

God is, and God loves. That is enough for me to hold on to.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I know God loves me and usually I completely believe and hold on to that. I constantly am reminded of God;s love for us since I surround myself with living plants and beautiful flowers. I am grateful that in the last ten years or so, I really haven't had any troubles with feeling God's love even though I have had plenty of troubles. In the midst of the worst of those, I still felt God's abiding presence by me. It brought me some peace amongst lots of worry and trouble.

I want to say all the time, but to be honest, it isn't all the time. Sometimes I wade around in self-pity. This is my fault for being weak at certain moments. Once I shake that behavior off and bop myself on the head for being a dingbat, I start to feel it again because my mind isn't cluttered with garbage.

I always know that He loves me. Just have to get rid of the garbage in my head so that I can truly feel it.

I had a real crisis of faith when my first born son was born with a very disabling chromosome disorder. At 3 1/2 months old, he had his first surgery - at 7 months old, he had open heart surgery. Both horrible - horrible experiences that showed a taste of what life would be like with this child. I felt like God had deceived me and that He was not a God of love, but distant and uncaring. The decision came to either believing that God was who He said He was or choosing a life without God. I decided to believe God was who He says He is. That is where faith comes in. Just because I don't "feel" His love or "see" His love doesn't mean that His love is absent. The problem with being here on earth and being finite, we don't see the whole picture. With my son, I still don't see the whole picture. My whole life has changed completely because of him. I'm not one of those people who will sugarcoat it and say it has turned out for the better. It hasn't. We still live with the reality of a severely disabled child who will forever be completely dependent on someone. But, I've learned to live with the questions knowing that God does love me, does care for me, and does have a good plan for my life no matter what comes my way. We see through a glass darkly or in C.S. Lewis' terms - the Shadowland.

Beth

I want to say all the time, but to be honest, it isn't all the time. Sometimes I wade around in self-pity. This is my fault for being weak at certain moments. Once I shake that behavior off and bop myself on the head for being a dingbat, I start to feel it again because my mind isn't cluttered with garbage.

I always know that He loves me. Just have to get rid of the garbage in my head so that I can truly feel it.

:iagree:...I would have voted had this been included in the poll. :tongue_smilie:

I had a real crisis of faith when my first born son was born with a very disabling chromosome disorder. At 3 1/2 months old, he had his first surgery - at 7 months old, he had open heart surgery. Both horrible - horrible experiences that showed a taste of what life would be like with this child. I felt like God had deceived me and that He was not a God of love, but distant and uncaring. The decision came to either believing that God was who He said He was or choosing a life without God. I decided to believe God was who He says He is. That is where faith comes in. Just because I don't "feel" His love or "see" His love doesn't mean that His love is absent. The problem with being here on earth and being finite, we don't see the whole picture. With my son, I still don't see the whole picture. My whole life has changed completely because of him. I'm not one of those people who will sugarcoat it and say it has turned out for the better. It hasn't. We still live with the reality of a severely disabled child who will forever be completely dependent on someone. But, I've learned to live with the questions knowing that God does love me, does care for me, and does have a good plan for my life no matter what comes my way. We see through a glass darkly or in C.S. Lewis' terms - the Shadowland.

Beth

I get it. Somewhat different circumstances here, but the choice is the same.

This is an interesting point, because while I agree it seems like it should be the case, in actual experience I find it is more likely to be the opposite.

Those of us who are here and comfortable with few worries and many blessings feel a disconnect from God's love, while those in very difficult and perilous circumstances seem very sure of it.

I find this discussion fascinating! For me, God(ess)/Universe/Source is all about the feeling. The Divine connection is how I know Spirit, so I find it very interesting to hear others talk about the feeling being irrelevant. For me, it's not a matter of faith but a matter of experiential knowing. How interesting to read others' perspectives and compare that to my own.

I think some people know things mainly through feeling, and others mainly through thinking. And usually, it is just a matter of temperament.

For myself, I usually have a very clear idea about what I think about things, what the rational arguments behind any belief or course of action are. Or, even if I am unsure, I have a clear idea of why I am unsure.

On the other hand, I don't always have an easy time knowing what I feel about something, especially if it is something that I have a lot of emotion about. It takes me a few days to think about my strong emotions and figure out what they were or mean. With other people's emotions, I think about those to understand them rationally rather than just responding with my own emotions. And I know that for me, my emotions are more likely to lead me astray than my rational processes.

I tend to think people who process emotionally have a similar kind of experience in the opposite way.

That being said, I think it is probably important to cultivate both these abilities as best we can. Some situations are better approached one way or the other, and if we can tap into both that is always an advantage.

Since you ask about feeling as opposed to thinking or believing ....

I have always had the feeling that someone was watching over me protecting me at all times. I am always very shocked when bad things and many very bad things have happened.

This is different from my thoughts and beliefs about God. I strive to think of God as more of a force of good than an individual but this is challenging because the first stories I heard about God always depicted "him" as an individual.

Just wondering.

ETA: I'm differentiating between feeling and believing.

Guess I am into not voting today.:001_smile:

No, I don't 'feel' He loves me. I KNOW He loves me. Feelings come and go. I move on to knowing beyond any shodow of a doubt many years ago.:001_smile:

This is an interesting point, because while I agree it seems like it should be the case, in actual experience I find it is more likely to be the opposite.

Those of us who are here and comfortable with few worries and many blessings feel a disconnect from God's love, while those in very difficult and perilous circumstances seem very sure of it.

:iagree:

Yes, this has been my experience as well.

I think some people know things mainly through feeling, and others mainly through thinking. And usually, it is just a matter of temperament.

For myself, I usually have a very clear idea about what I think about things, what the rational arguments behind any belief or course of action are. Or, even if I am unsure, I have a clear idea of why I am unsure.

On the other hand, I don't always have an easy time knowing what I feel about something, especially if it is something that I have a lot of emotion about. It takes me a few days to think about my strong emotions and figure out what they were or mean. With other people's emotions, I think about those to understand them rationally rather than just responding with my own emotions. And I know that for me, my emotions are more likely to lead me astray than my rational processes.

I tend to think people who process emotionally have a similar kind of experience in the opposite way.

That being said, I think it is probably important to cultivate both these abilities as best we can. Some situations are better approached one way or the other, and if we can tap into both that is always an advantage.

Interestingly enough, I am more like the thinking person you describe above. I am not at all emotional (unless you count those button pushing kid moments!) and tend to think through everything. I had to learn to understand my own feelings and really dig into it all to even be able to label anything past 'good' or 'bad'. I definitely don't respond emotionally to things, and have to consciously do the work of emotional processing. So no, not an emotional person here!

It is my belief that our thoughts and beliefs dictate our feelings. I believe that God is a Divine spark in all of us, and that I can think, and ultimately feel, my way to that connection. That belief means I have the ability to feel God any time I want to reach for that feeling. To me, that's all very logical, and it's how I have thought my way to God. lol!

Perhaps this could be described under the faith umbrella by some, and I'm simply misunderstanding what people mean by faith. But it's very much an experience that proves out my beliefs, for me.