Menu

Does ANYONE eat that nasty green bean casserole thing?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't eat it, BUT my stepmom made a version one Thanksgiving that did not use the cream soup--it had *real* cream in it and I think a little Parmesan--and it was GOOD. It did have the crunchy onions on top, though, but that's the best part. LOL I think she might have even used fresh green beans. A from-scratch casserole can taste SO much better than all the canned stuff thrown together.

We all really like gbc here.:001_smile: French cut grean beans, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, garlic powder, pepper, whole milk, and cheddar cheese with toasted french fried onions (4 minutes at 350) stirred in and topped with right before serving was so good and a hit at our Tday gathering. I did this in the crock pot this year! I think cooking it for several hours vs 30 minutes was key for flavor.

Edited by JENinOR

It's a staple at all the holiday gatherings up here in my part of MN. We love it!!

Course... it has to be Green Bean Hot Dish there, right? :)

I like it but I use frozen green beans cooked till a little mushy, and next year I'm going to do my own white sauce, since I don't do Campbell's sauces anymore...

I was thinking about whether there are organic fried onion things for the top :)

:)

Well, I think that this thread might get locked up faster than a discussion about shopping carts and crock pots. :tongue_smilie: Thanksgiving traditions are pretty emotional ground. I'm sure you eat something that would gross me out too. :D

I never had it as a child. It was not part of our tradition. However, DH had it every year and loved it, so I incorporate it into our Thanksgiving. Last year, I convinced him to let me try Alton Brown's version. It was delightful for all of us.

Still, your question seems designed to hurt feelings and invite conflict. Is your turkey still frozen, leaving you cranky this morning? ;) :D

BWHAHAAHAAHAH

Too funny,

yep always have to be careful in how you word things.

LOVE IT LOVE IT, and very sad that we didn't have it this year. But alas, I'm really the only one that likes it, and well as I told dh, the amount he would eat wouldn't help me to not eat the rest and gain weight.

I could seriously eat a whole meal of green bean casserole.

We love it. The funniest part is that the year I made a healthier, fancier version with fresh green beans, no one liked it! We hardly ever eat dishes like the Campbell's green bean casserole, so I expected everyone to embrace the fancy version.

Now we're back to the simple one, and everyone's happy.

I think that one does have to be somewhat diplomatic in how things are worded especially when dealing with an item or issue that may be near and dear.

As for GBC, my aunt used to make it (she is long gone - I think it was her dh's favorite), I ate it, I liked it. My mom never made it. My best friend from high school serves it as a T-giving staple - her Thanksgiving would not be Thanksgiving without it. The years we were at her house for the holiday, I enjoyed it -- dh did not. Suffice to say, I don't make it.

For awhile, though, I prepared Scalloped Oysters every.single.year. Until I got so tired of hearing my MIL, who wouldn't even let the casserole near her, complain how gross she thought it was, that I stopped.

My favorite time expenditure has turned into preparing the most amazing, drop dead, fantastic turkey -- I did it yesterday again --:D.

It is nasty along with the cranberry-crap-in-a-can. I don't see why just cause you have a turkey you absolutely have to have some cranberry crap

Folks here get upset if they don't get their can junk with the turkey:lol: and the can mushrrom soup over green beans with friend onion (yum doesn't that sound good);)

It is nasty along with the cranberry-crap-in-a-can. I don't see why just cause you have a turkey you absolutely have to have some cranberry crap

Folks here get upset if they don't get their can junk with the turkey:lol: and the can mushrrom soup over green beans with friend onion (yum doesn't that sound good);)

:lol: just tell us how you REALLY feel! :)

I'll sit over here with my jellied, cranberry carp and enjoy :D

As a kid, I LOVED the canned cranberry sauce.:lol:

My grandma makes the real deal, and it is nothing comparible. YUM!!!

LOVE THE CRANBERRY SAUCE IN a can, adn it must be jellied none of that whole cranberry stuff, bleah.

and I'v now changed but growing up was cream of chicken soup for gravy and my favorite thing was to pour that over the mashed potatoes, cranberry and the dressing my mom made YUMMY.

Do you really think that the people who eat it will admit it after that tongue lashing? ;).

But, seriously, for dh and me, it is comfort food. He made it this year, using some better quality ingredients than what they advertise on those commercials including his own sauteed onions and mushrooms. And it was good!

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
pesky grammar error

As a kid, I LOVED the canned cranberry sauce.:lol:

My grandma makes the real deal, and it is nothing comparible. YUM!!!

LOVE THE CRANBERRY SAUCE IN a can, adn it must be jellied none of that whole cranberry stuff, bleah.

and I'v now changed but growing up was cream of chicken soup for gravy and my favorite thing was to pour that over the mashed potatoes, cranberry and the dressing my mom made YUMMY.

sorry I bashed your special food;) its just a joke with my family. I cooked thanksgiving dinner for mine and dh's family. The first year I didn't have the cranberry can and after that each year my mom and mil would bring a can. They didn't seem to care that the rest of the meal was great they all just harped on it would be so much better with cranberry sauce.

I LOVE it! I made it for the first time last Christmas and will be making a double batch this year. I suppose many of you also don't like tater tot casserole?! Them's fighting words! :D

Ugh. Tater tot casserole gives me...well, if I eat it I'm stuck in the bathroom for a LONG time. *shudder*

Yeah, more for me! I love the canned cranberry sauce, green bean casserole (although I never buy canned veggies so I just use frozen green beans) and my jello/cottage cheese/coolwhip/mandarin orange salad is delish, SO THERE! :001_tt2:

Edited by OnTheBrink
misspelled "I'm"

It's not traditional in my family. However my bil wants it every year because he says he had it growing up. However as long as I've known him his family actually goes out to eat on holidays. My sister and bil left early this Thanksgiving and left their leftovers behind. Let's just say there was a very large pan of barely touched green bean casserole that no one else wanted.

I'd probably eat it if it was gluten free though. Most things that look like slop actually taste pretty good. :D

sorry I bashed your special food;) its just a joke with my family. I cooked thanksgiving dinner for mine and dh's family. The first year I didn't have the cranberry can and after that each year my mom and mil would bring a can. They didn't seem to care that the rest of the meal was great they all just harped on it would be so much better with cranberry sauce.

I don't think anyone is offended ;) Some people like it and some people don't. For some, it's a once-a-year traditional treat (which might be why your mom and mil might be insisting upon it's inclusion...it's a comfort thing).

I think that one does have to be somewhat diplomatic in how things are worded especially when dealing with an item or issue that may be near and dear.

Yup. Everyone has a holiday favorite they hate, another they tolerate for the loved ones and others they love. Not everyone agrees about which is which.

And sometimes a recipe is only as good as the chef.

So I'll keep hold of my french fried onions and canned berries and not fret. They please various folks that I cook for every year and I'm happy to offer them that bit of culinary joy.

I don't make it but I eat it if someone else makes it.

Same with tater tots.

What I refuse to eat is yams and marshmallows. Blech.

Oh yeah, I hate pumpkin pie too. I won't make it either, so if you come to my place and want pumpkin you need to bring it. I do lemon meringue pie and apple or peach cobbler. That's enough! :P

Edited by kiana

Never tried it until I was an adult and Dh's cousin brought it (ate a scoop to be polite) and loved it! I like to eat the onion things right out of the can. :blush: I also love the canned cranberry sauce. :p What I can't stand is any kind of sweet potatoes or yams and I only eat a tiny slice of pumpkin pie so I don't ROYALLY offend Dh's grandma (I hate pumpkin pie! :ack2: ) It's funny because my grandma has supposedly a really good sweet potato recipe and my inlaws ask me to bring it each year. So I do. ((Shudder))

What the heck is tater tot casserole?

Yeah. Sounds really greasy?

this is rather a mean-spirited post. It's annoying. "who eats this crap? they must be crazy??"

Well who does much of anything.

enjoy your holiday weekend. :001_huh:

Naw. Not at all. Just a, "I keep seeing these commercials and rockwellisc Hollywood scene with this really nasty looking to me dish but not once in my life have I ever seen a human make it or eat it, so is it some kind of mythological dish or what?"

Nothing mean spirited at all.

Sorry if it came across that way.

As a side note, for the first time in my entire life I encountered a poor soul who had never had cornbread dressing/stuffing before. That's just tragic.;)

Yeah. Sounds really greasy?

Naw. Not at all. Just a, "I keep seeing these commercials and rockwellisc Hollywood scene with this really nasty looking to me dish but not once in my life have I ever seen a human make it or eat it, so is it some kind of mythological dish or what?"

Nothing mean spirited at all.

Sorry if it came across that way.

As a side note, for the first time in my entire life I encountered a poor soul who had never had cornbread dressing/stuffing before. That's just tragic.;)

I ran across someone that had never had biscuits & gravy...THAT is tragic!

Here's a basic recipe for Tater Tot casserole that can be dressed up any way you like.

1# ground beef

1 small onion

1 can cream of cr*p soup mixed with 1 soup can milk (or homemade white sauce or cheese sauce)

1 can green beans (or other veg)

1 small bag tater tots

Brown beef and onion. Spray 2 qt dish with non-stick spray. Put in beef, green beans, top with tater tots. Pour soup or sauce over top. Bake in 350* oven for 45 minutes.

This is also good topped with shredded cheddar or cheddar jack.

This is a staple in our diet; it's comfort food. It freezes as well.