Menu

Thanksgiving Family WWYD!

OK, I'm hosting this year for DH's family and already have an issue. BIL "always" brings the mashed potatoes. The problem is.... they always come a little late, with the potatoes whole and in a bag. Which means, they have to prepare them in my kitchen and we wait and wait and wait and there's tons of small children who are hungry. This happened last year at Thanksgiving and also at Easter. I was going to send out a list of options of what people could bring and was going to claim the potatoes for myself on that list, but they already responded to my invite and said, "Oh, and we'll bring the mashed potatoes!" So, now I'm up a creek. What would you do?

I would start serving minus the potatoes. That is just really rude, IMO.

Actually, what I do is make the entire meal myself so I don't have to deal with any of that.

Can you respond with, "Oh my oven and stovetop are going to be completely full. I don't think there will be an empty area to cook and prepare in the kitchen, so please bring the potatoes ready to serve."

I would make a separate starch, and then the potatoes would not be needed. If they arrive late with the taters in a bag, just say, "Wow, that was so nice of you, but they can't possibly be ready by xxx, so let's just skip them this year." Make sure that the alternate starch is not too duplicative in case they succeed in bringing the potatoes on time. Maybe rice pilaf? Or roasted potatoes?

Alternatively you could ask them to drop off the potatoes in advance so that you could boil them before the family arrives.

Can you respond with, "Oh my oven and stovetop are going to be completely full. I don't think there will be an empty area to cook and prepare in the kitchen, so please bring the potatoes ready to serve."

:iagree:

Maybe you could say that you're trying some new recipes this year and your oven/stove/prep area will be full.

I would make a separate starch, and then the potatoes would not be needed. If they arrive late with the taters in a bag, just say, "Wow, that was so nice of you, but they can't possibly be ready by xxx, so let's just skip them this year." Make sure that the alternate starch is not too duplicative in case they succeed in bringing the potatoes on time. Maybe rice pilaf? Or roasted potatoes?

Alternatively you could ask them to drop off the potatoes in advance so that you could boil them before the family arrives.

:svengo: Thanksgiving? Without mashed potatoes? Is that legal? :svengo:

I would prepare the mashed potatoes, have them all ready when everyone arrives, and graciously accept their bag of potatoes as a replacement for the ones I already used. :) Then, I would laugh it off, tell them I found this really great recipe I wanted to try and to please not be offended. If, by chance, they turn over a new leaf and bring them already prepared, I would never even let them know I made a batch. I'd freeze what I made and use them for meals and meals to come.

Really, they are potatoes, for heaven's sake, one of the cheapest things they could buy. It's not like it'll break the bank for you to do it, and Ree's recipe can be made ahead of time. :001_smile:

Tell them you'll be eating at 2pm, but really plan to eat at 4?? :)

You know they'll arrive and need to make the mashed potatoes, it's a family "tradition" so you probably don't want to rock the boat too much, so plan for the necessary time to allow the potatoes to be made; problem solved.

Edited by Tigger

Can you respond to their reply with a "thanks, but I was already planning on doing the mashed potatoes myself. Would you mind bringing the ______________? (bread/desert item/ something that does not need to be hot or on time)"

If you feel the need to explain, you could put it on yourself... "I'm such a stickler about time that I want to make sure all the food is ready to eat at the same time. I'd like to go ahead and prepare the mashed potatoes while the turkey is cooking." I wouldn't count on this relative to honor a request to have them ready by a certain time because if they don't, then you'll just be frustrated on thanksgiving.

I would prepare the mashed potatoes, have them all ready when everyone arrives, and graciously accept their bag of potatoes as a replacement for the ones I already used. :) Then, I would laugh it off, tell them I found this really great recipe I wanted to try and to please not be offended. If, by chance, they turn over a new leaf and bring them already prepared, I would never even let them know I made a batch. I'd freeze what I made and use them for meals and meals to come.

Really, they are potatoes, for heaven's sake, one of the cheapest things they could buy. It's not like it'll break the bank for you to do it, and Ree's recipe can be made ahead of time. :001_smile:

:iagree:I usually just make the meal and have others bring appetizers or dessert, other things that aren't a staple or something that HAS to be part of the meal.

What about keeping a few bags of the potatoe powder stuff and just making that if they're late. It's pretty much instant, but if they're on time you can just use it another time. That is if powder potatoe puree is allowable for Thanksgiving in you book:001_smile:.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Real potatoes! LOL :lol:

What about keeping a few bags of the potatoe powder stuff and just making that if they're late. It's pretty much instant, but if they're on time you can just use it another time. That is if powder potatoe puree is allowable for Thanksgiving in you book:001_smile:.

Eeeeek! :svengo: Powdered potatos would get ME drummed out of town!

How about asking them specifically to bring the bag of potatos over the day before? That way you can peel and cook and they can "make" the mashed potatos using their secret recipe when they get there (a 5 minute job :D)

I have a relative who stresses out big time but always wants to bring something. I generally ask her to bring it by the day before so it doesn't matter if they are running late. It means I have to find fridge space, but a bag of potatos can be set in the corner....

OK, I'm hosting this year for DH's family and already have an issue. BIL "always" brings the mashed potatoes. The problem is.... they always come a little late, with the potatoes whole and in a bag. Which means, they have to prepare them in my kitchen and we wait and wait and wait and there's tons of small children who are hungry. This happened last year at Thanksgiving and also at Easter. I was going to send out a list of options of what people could bring and was going to claim the potatoes for myself on that list, but they already responded to my invite and said, "Oh, and we'll bring the mashed potatoes!" So, now I'm up a creek. What would you do?

We host every year, and have had as many as 30 teens/adults (i don't count little kids anymore) for a sit down formal dinner. I've decided dh has a norman rockwell fantasy, and he consider's it his family's reunion. we have one who has rarely prepared her food item in advance, and many a year her ingredients sit on my kitchen table (or in a box underneath it) while we eat dinner.

You have three choices -

1) be upfront and blunt. tell bil to please bring the potatoes already cooked when they arrive as there isn't time or space to prepare them at your house so that they will be ready for dinner when everything else is. They can mash them before they come or as soon as they arrive at your house (though you can't guarantee work space) - but they'd better be cooked when they arrive as this year dinner will not be held up waiting for mashed potatoes. (maybe served during dessert, but not dinner.)

2) prepare mashed potatoes to be ready on time yourself without saying anything to bil, and just serve them.

3) don't say anything before hand, but do NOT wait dinner for bil's mashed potatoes. everyone is hungry. the food is getting cold. the cold stuff is getting warm. eat when everything else is ready. by waiting dinner on his food item, he is not held accountable for his lack of preparedness when everyone who was prepared is actually being punished for HIS transgression.

if bil is offended by any of these, well, that's his problem. he should actually prepare what he is brining so it is ready when dinner is.

Make garlic mashed potatoes. They can come and make their mashed potatoes. But there are mashed potatoes to eat right away -- and maybe they will get the point that STARTING the mashed potatoes when they are late already is a bad idea.

"No thanks. Why don't you bring a fruit plate? I've got a new recipe I am planning to try for mashed potatoes this year"

Or just plain blunt "No. You need to bring something already prepared because you always bring raw potatoes and have to make the mashed potatoes here and it is too disruptive."

:lol:

there was one year the potatoes didn't even get *halfway* around the table. that did NOT go over well. ever since, we've had two people bring them because you just can't make mashed potatoes in that quanitity in one batch outside a commerical kitchen.

Edited by gardenmom5

I have a similar problem with my parents each Christmas, except they bring whatever they were to bring *uncooked* and expect *me* to prepare it. Oh, and they are always late.:glare:

BTW, in Ireland we have mashed potaoes almost everyday. I have an amazing masher attachment for my blender, no more lumpy spuds.:D

I think I'm hyperventilating. (I'd rather skip the turkey than the mashed potatoes!)

I grew up with mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving. It was the one day a year my mom made them with actual potatoes instead of out of a box. :lol: They were a big, big deal at Thanksgiving. I used to make a big mound of potatoes in the middle of my plate, put my turkey on top of it, cover it in gravy and that was all I ate for the Thanksgiving meal, I was so happy about those potatoes. :D

DH did not grow up with mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving, just stuffing. Since I make homemade mashed potatoes throughout the year (frequently in Fall and Winter) and have found a stuffing recipe that I adore (sorry, Mom, I never cared for the family stuffing recipe :tongue_smilie:), I recently dropped mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving day, make a double batch of stuffing, and we are all happy as clams. I have to say, I love having one less thing to cook. :D

OP, I would be frank about the potatoes. I would simply ask them to bring the potatoes prepared because of a busy kitchen and to make sure they would be ready to go at serving time.

I had a hunch some people might feel that way:001_rolleyes:

They tast so much better though than the real stuff with occasional lumps in it, yuck! Should I sign off now?:auto:

If it makes you feel any better, I looooove them. I grew up with them and still crave them every now and then. I don't keep them in the house and don't make them, but when we get Bush's chicken, I always hoard the potatoes for myself, because they remind me of the boxed potatoes I grew up with.

When I was pregnant with DD in Germany, I got this incredible craving for boxed potatoes one afternoon and made DH stop by the commissary to pick me up a box on the way home. Heavenly! So fluffy!

That said, there are no lumps in my homemade potatoes. If you have lumps, you need a ricer. :D

You have three choices -

1) be upfront and blunt. tell bil to please bring the potatoes already cooked when they arrive as there isn't time or space to prepare them at your house so that they will be ready for dinner when everything else is. They can mash them before they come or as soon as they arrive at your house (though you can't guarantee work space) - but they'd better be cooked when they arrive as this year dinner will not be held up waiting for mashed potatoes. (maybe served during dessert, but not dinner.)

2) prepare mashed potatoes to be ready on time yourself without saying anything to bil, and just serve them.

3) don't say anything before hand, but do NOT wait dinner for bil's mashed potatoes. everyone is hungry. the food is getting cold. the cold stuff is getting warm. eat when everything else is ready. by waiting dinner on his food item, he is not held accountable for his lack of preparedness when everyone who was prepared is actually being punished for HIS transgression.

if bil is offended by any of these, well, that's his problem. he should actually prepare what he is brining so it is ready when dinner is.

:iagree:I love all these choices and would probably do the second one. If bil is offended - tough tooties!!

I think this is the only realistic way to go. If you like, you can vary the recipe a bit (lumps instead of his usual not, or garlic instead of not, or whatever). You want to eat on time, you want your guests to have potatoes, and he has proven to be unreliable. Next year, you can ask ahead if he will bring a dessert (NOT the mission-critical pumpkin pie, obviously).

By doing this, you are being a gracious hostess, you are avoiding the drama, he *may* get the message (or may not), and everyone can enjoy their meal.

(Have you ever specifically explained to him that you had been expecting the potatoes to be pre-cooked, and/or to arrive by x time so there would be time to make them? Sounds nuts, but this might not be obvious to some people. Maybe he's just clueless. If you said "bring the potatoes", and he showed up with a bag of potatoes, and you hid your annoyance (as a good hostess might do), he may not realize that you were expecting something else and that he messed up your plans. Does he have a wife who should have clued him in? Can you speak directly to her next time rather than relying on him to convey the message?)

Oh, and as to quality mashed potatoes, lumps are REQUIRED. Just sayin'. :D

I got these really good instant potatoes at Costco. http://www.honestearthpotatoes.com/products-page/

They are soooooooo good for mashed potatoes! I would keep some of these in the pantry and if they come late these whip up in a min! :D

Edited: I hate instant potatoes, but I love these!

:iagree: I love these, they are always in my pantry.

You can even make them directly in a serving bowl - pour in the milk and butter and then add the boiling water (we use the kettle) and then stir in the potatoes.

I got these really good instant potatoes at Costco. http://www.honestearthpotatoes.com/products-page/

They are soooooooo good for mashed potatoes! I would keep some of these in the pantry and if they come late these whip up in a min! :D

Edited: I hate instant potatoes, but I love these!

Honestly the Costco instant mashed potatoes are what make me wonder if the work of the real potatoes is actually worth it!

I would reply with, "The potatoes are already covered. Will you please bring a salad this year?"

(I'd rather skip the turkey than the mashed potatoes!)

My father-in-law made a roast instead of turkey a few years ago. I was so surprised at how much it felt like just another family dinner.

I really have a strong connection to particular foods for certain celebrations.

I would make another potato dish. Cheesy potatoes or something. When they show up late. "You're just in time we're all gathering to eat!" And when they say something about needing to make mashed potatoes..."Oh don't worry about that. We want to eat now, :D. There's such and such potato dish already. We'll be *fine* w/o mashed potatoes."

-OR-

You could call them and ask if they are planning on making the mashed potatoes after they arrive at your house, (so as to have them as piping hot as possible, of course ;)) and then ask what time they are coming over so you can make sure there is a spot at the stove for them. Help them think through the process. Dinner is at X:00 are you sure that'll give you enough time to peel and chop and boil and mash?

Of course, these kinds of subtle conversations don't do the trick this year you're going to have to be more direct for the next dinner. Isn't that awful? I just hate confrontation. Maybe next dinner you could just ask them to bring the pop or the cranberry sauce (we do ours in a can) or the jello salad, you CAN'T throw that together last minute. Whatever would work. Just don't give them a choice. :001_smile:

I had a hunch some people might feel that way:001_rolleyes:

They tast so much better though than the real stuff with occasional lumps in it, yuck! Should I sign off now?:auto:

Hey, I'm with you. Lumpy potatoes are disgusting!! I prefer boxed potatoes but could seriously be happy if I never eat mashed potatoes again for my entire life.

Tell them you'll be eating at 2pm, but really plan to eat at 4?? :)

Keep it simple and don't get into any drama. Just tell them dinner is a couple hours before you actually plan it. Let them bring the potatoes.

Don't say definitively that dinner is a X time. Say something like "I want to eat at X time" That way when they arrive at X time then you don't have to lie. ou can say well I wanted to eat at X time but I am a little behind.

Whamo, problem solved and no drama involved. IT is Thanksgiving and you want to make it as simple as possible without stepping on toes.

I had family here last Thanksgiving and there was drama. I HATE. drama. So just keep it simple :)

Mashed potatoes (and candied sweet potatoes) are my very favorite part of Thankgiving! Like someone else said, I would rather skip the turkey than the potatoes!

I'm in the just be frank with him camp which would consist of telling him "I'd rather make the mashed potatoes myself this year, could you please bring X instead" or "If you are bringing something that is going to be part of the main meal, I really need you to get it here on time and already prepared. Do you still want to do potatoes or would you rather do a dessert instead?"

I think you already have some great suggestions for dealing with BIL.

I just want to add - DH loves mashed potatoes. They were his first ever food (and an early selection for ds) and he was never more heart broken than when ds decided he no longer liked mashed potatoes. I like them fresh with a few lumps left in them. DH and oldest dd like them creamy smooth. DH alternates the way he makes them so everyone gets their chance. We used to have them at least once a week. Now its probably once every two weeks. I don't see them as a Thanksgiving requirement but sweet potato casserole with the marshmallows on top is.

My MIL used to do the SAME thing with potatoes at Thanksgiving. It drove me nuts! Her rationale was the potatoes tasted better fresh. Ummm....they live 35 minutes away -- not 2 hours like my extended family, who manage to bring hot, fresh-tasting sides with them, and if they do need to be reheated, they arrive early. After two years of that, I told her it was easier if I made the potatoes and told her to bring something else.

Try telling them that you had a new potato recipe you wanted to try and ask them to bring a pie or cranberry sauce. You could also find a relative who is just as annoyed as you are about the potatoes and say, "Sorry, so-and-so already claimed the potatoes this year."

My father-in-law made a roast instead of turkey a few years ago. I was so surprised at how much it felt like just another family dinner.

I really have a strong connection to particular foods for certain celebrations.

Yeah, a roast would be wrong. But I'd be okay with mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy (lots of gravy), corn, rolls, and celery with peanut butter.

This is what I would do.

I would say something like, "I know it is hard for you to get here early so I thought if you dropped the potatoes by I could have them boiled up and all you would need to do is mash and season them.":001_smile:

I would accept their offer and begin eating at the stated start time of the event--no waiting for late people.

Let them be impolite. Nobody ever died from not eating mashed potatoes on time at an event.

Another option is to simply respond and say, "Thank you, but the mashed potatoes are covered". If they have a problem with it, then let them be silly about it. Whatever!

In no case should you make the other guest wait to eat. They should not have to suffer for BIL's rudeness!

Just a few things:

a. It's a SIN to put cream cheese in mashed potatoes. I'm Irish. I know these things.*

2. Make the mashed potatoes ahead of time. Play dumb when they arrive with more potatoes.

And C:

My SIL does this. One time, she was supposed to bring sweet potatoes. As we were all sitting and eating, her sister said to her, "Where are the sweet potatoes you were supposed to bring?" SIL said, "OH!" reaached into her purse, pulls out a can of yams in syrup and passes them across the table to her sister.

"Here you go!"

*That's a joke. If you're Irish and you put cream cheese in your mashed potatoes, then laugh...And say a 3 Hail Marys and 3 Our Fathers.

My SIL does this. One time, she was supposed to bring sweet potatoes. As we were all sitting and eating, her sister said to her, "Where are the sweet potatoes you were supposed to bring?" SIL said, "OH!" reaached into her purse, pulls out a can of yams in syrup and passes them across the table to her sister.

"Here you go!"

I don't know if I should laugh, throw up, or faint.

Canned yams/sweet potatoes? *gack*

Wolf is a freakazoid. Personally, I hate cranberries, and that includes cranberry sauce. But, to please my new dh (we'd been married six months at the time) I made cranberry sauce from scratch.

Found out he prefers the jellied glop in a can. :svengo::ack2: