Menu

Who will take a full week off at Thanksgiving?

jayb842

I'm planning ahead. We had planned to let ds have the full week off at Thanksgiving because his step sister does and we have her during the holiday. She'll actually spend it at her grandmothers not us, so ds will see little of her. Is there a benefit to have all week instead of Wednesday, Thursday and Friday?

Jenn

take it off if you can. we follow the local schools schedules usually, not always. my son pitches a fit when he is in school and he knows the other kids are not. its just not worth the bad attitude he will have doing studies on those days. i wouldn't take it off if you are behind, but since you have someone staying with you that is out of school, taking time off makes the most sense. have fun!!

We school year round, so one of our weeks off happens to be Thanksgiving week. We live near Plymouth, so we spend a lot of time there the week of Thanksgiving...and the kids enjoy doing loads of baking in preparation for the big day :) So, although it is technically not "school" for us, there is plenty of learning going on!

We are taking the full week. We are doing 5 weeks of school followed by one week of vacation this school year - we started on August 1 with the idea that we would still get in our 36 weeks by early May... but instead we'll be taking a maternity break in March and probably finishing late-May or early June. I really love those full weeks off!

We're taking the whole week off. (Unless I change my mind at the last minute and decide to do a couple days of reading and math, but I probably won't.)

For me, the benefit is a low-stress holiday. I can shop, cook, get my house clean, get ready to decorate for Christmas, etc., etc. without panicking because we're getting behind in schoolwork.

We will take the whole week off because we follow dh's school schedule and he has it off. We will get a field trip day or two in because my sister has invited us to stay in a condo at Tybee Island for the week, and my family will have our thanksgiving get together down there.

Here's our schedule for the year:

Began Aug. 8th

Weeks off:

Oct 10th

Nov 21st

Christmas Break Dec 21-Jan 4th

Feb 20th

Apr 23rd

End: May 25th

We always take the whole week off. Just habit as the first year we homeschooled, we followed the public school which goes Monday and a half day Tuesday, and I figured that we should just take the whole week off because a day and a half was useless. I don't plan our schedule around public school anymore, but we just enjoy having the week off.

We *plan* the whole week off. Sometimes by that point in the year, we have a little catch-up to do on Monday and Tuesday anyway, so it's nice to have the cushion built in. If we're all caught up, we can just use the days to get cooking and preparations done. It's our first break of the fall, so I love having that full week available before we jump in to the last few weeks of the semester.

We do, but that's simply to make it easier for me. I think and plan in weeks and taking two days off makes it too hard to get a full week's worth of work done.

I work that way too! I can handle 1 day off, but two or more and we need the whole week off so that my scheduling can stay the same. :lol:

I work that way too! I can handle 1 day off, but two or more and we need the whole week off so that my scheduling can stay the same. :lol:

That's me too. :) If DH springs a last minute Friday trip with the boys, I can handle that easily. But just doing 2 days? Yuck.

I also think that in public schools, they probably don't do much, if anything, that couple days they're in school either. I know at Christmas time and the last week of school for the year, it's a lot of movies and parties and such for the younger set (high school is different, of course).

We'll definitely take off Thursday and Friday. We'll definitely school Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday is the only day in question. We just go with the flow and I'll see how that week goes.

:iagree: Wednesday will depend on whether or not I got the grocery shopping done earlier in the week!

Well multiplying recipes and reading/adding fractions count right ?! DD is excited to be able to read the recipes this year, and DS will no doubt do the math for us. I'm calling that good. I also need some crafts around the house and am demanding they follow my orders and produce plenty of decorations :D

We get LOTS of hands on real life learning projects done around holidays. When I think about it they are really applying some skills from each area.

-Writing letters that are neat and spelled correctly with puncuation.

-Writing lists for groceries, craft ideas, and Christmas.

-DS and DH put up the Christmas lights and that requires measuring, and math skills to figure out how many lights will we need for x length of roof, fence, etc.

We are very laxed about tight schedules around the holidays. I'd say from Thanksgiving planning through the new year we are less schedule oriented but we still get a lot accomplished.

my dd and Son-in-law, who got married in April and moved 24 hours away to Montana, are going to be coming that week!!!! We are so excited. I have ten dc and 4 live in different states. They will all be coming at some point that week, including my 2 granddaughters. It will be a very busy, fun-filled week, so absolutely NO SCHOOL!

We will be taking the whole week off for Thanksgiving. We schedule in weeks and would not be able to complete much on Mon. and Tues. before traveling. Most times we are baking, crafting, reading extra books, making up some school work, etc. It is usually a great, relaxing week. :)

I'm having Thanksgiving at my house. With food allergies and baking everything from scratch (as I do always for everything, actually) it's just too stressful otherwise. I might have them do a day or two's worth of math and LA, or more likely just get some free study stuff about Thanksgiving and call it a day. It's way less stressful to take the week as a holiday, IMO!

My brother is getting married the day before Thanksgiving, and the day/weekend after is considered family reunion time (BIG family that gets together every other Thanksgiving.) We will be traveling in the car on Tuesday, so, yeah, I think we'll take the week of, mostly. I'll still do some review reading and go over the history of Thanksgiving, but that's it. I am not however taking a week off for Christmas, since it's on a weekend. But even if it were, I probably still wouldn't. I can't host at my house :sad: so there's not a lot of stuff I have to get done.