What kind of a child were you?  

1. 1. What kind of a child were you?

• I was my parent's problem child
    • I was born with a halo stapled to my head
    • I was so middle, that I was average on every poll
    • Other

Wait, isn't this just for Parrothead?

LOL--yeah, my Aspie tendencies rear their interesting head--

I thought you were joking and making a poll that is just ABOUT Parrothead!!! THat's why I was laughing!

Now I see you posted it to entertain (or inform) Parrothead!

Biiiig difference....

I couldn't figure out why people were responding, but she wasn't! :D

I was the perfect child, my mother adored me. My father loved me. I am the baby, the favored child. Actually I still am, I was spoiled (in some way), in fact I still am. It was a 50/50 shot. After the comments my sister made to my parents last Christmas I may be my dad's favorite too. :lol:

Actually my parents and my dh and I are very close. I felt loved and wanted as a child, I'm not sure my sister did. My mom and her had clashing personalities, they still do.

There were a few vague years in my teens that got me into trouble, but all is forgiven, at least what they know about. ;)

I thought you were joking and making a poll that is just ABOUT Parrothead!!! THat's why I was laughing!

Biiiig difference....

It's for Parrothead because she was bemoaning the lack of polls on the board. So this is a gift for her. One that she is ignoring, apparently :glare:

I excelled in school :Angel_anim:, but uh....well....uh....we won't talk about the outside of school part :angelsad2:. My brother, on the other hand, excelled in the outside of school part but barely graduated. We balanced each other out :lol:.

Wait. Maybe I was the problem child. Come to think of it, they have used "stubborn", "drama queen", and "fiesty" to describe me as a child.

This is a revelation :lol:.

Other. I was the workhorse. Not meaning my mother treated me like Cinderella or anything, but I was treated like a female oldest child is stereotypically treated.

When we were young, my younger sister was the problem child and our younger brother had the halo. After I moved out, my sister got to be the workhorse and our brother had graduated to problem child. Now we have all moved out, my sister is once again Mum's problem child, but she is Dad's halo-wearer and I'm his problem child.

Rosie

Biiiig difference....

:lol: :iagree: Me too! I can be too literal at times. I was hoping for a "everyone else" option or "I just like answering polls" option. :001_huh: :lol::lol:

I was the good kid, the parent pleaser. I never did anything majorly wrong and graduated near the top of my class. I didn't have a rebellious bone in my body. I still don't, so it's really just my personality. I was 3rd of 4, but with 9 years between me and my next-oldest sister, I was kind of the oldest of the second family. I always said I had the advantages of being the oldest, without the disadvantages.

I answered "halo" because that's how other people would have always described me (I put up a very good front, ha). But I think my parents would have called me "the smart one."

Growing up, we were: The Good One, The Smart One, The Problem Child and The (Favored) Baby. That's interesting thinking back now.

:)

I worked too hard to be perfect - first child of a single mother. Sigh. Sure I had my stroppy teen years, but I was a top student, never did any of the "fun stuff" I probably shouldn't want my dd to get up to, but kind of hope for her sake she does, was financially responsible, never asked for anything we couldn't afford etc etc. Bleh.

I suppose I should answer my own thread. . . I was one of 3 problem children in a family of 5. We were all fairly equally problematic and all 3 of us were expelled. . .:eek: The two goody-two shoes were good enough :Angel_anim: to (hopefully) counter balance the 3 of us baddies.

...And nobody is surprised...

:auto:

Before 12? Halo.

After 12? Problem child.

The main problem was that I was such a good kid when I was younger, that they thought they could just set me loose and I would be fine. They were SO WRONG!

:iagree: I also was a saint until I hit puberty. Add in family dysfunction and my mother still has panic attacks looking back. :lol:

Oh, to answer the question I was pretty good until high school. Maybe even until the end of 10th grade. After that I spent a few years as the devil's spawn. Well, maybe not as bad as it could have been, but it was pretty bad. That probably lasted until I was 22. Then things drastically changed and I turned everything around.

Biiiig difference....

:iagree: And now I can't answer the poll because it would ruin my image as a little angel who follows directions well.:Angel_anim:

Although, come to think of it, it wasn't so much that my parents thought I was good as that by the time they got to me they had seen it all from my older siblings, and had somewhat ceased to care -- sort of a "no blood, no foul" theory of parenting.

I am the middle of three. My brother is 4 almost 5 years olders and my sister is 13 years younger.

I was the easy going one, required very little discipline, got good grades, practiced the piano until my parents thought I would exhaust myself, etc. I then married Mr. Nice Guy whom they love dearly.

Really, none of us were particularly difficult to raise. But, my brother did race motorcycles and gave my mother some heart attacks over some rather serious crash & burns in addition to being the youngest case published in medical literature at the time (1960's) of Legge Perthes Disease. He came through okay though they were told when he was diagnosed at 2 years 7 months that he would never walk again, much less run, play sports, etc. My brother proved them wrong...I was there when he ran his first marathon at 14. It was a long, nerve-wrecking, process for my folks and especially my mom who had the care of him, oversee his physical therapy, find ways to entertain a little boy in casts up to his hips for months on end, etc. Not.easy.

My mother's pregnancy with my sister was very difficult and sis was, well, a much needier child than I had been. Very clingy, prone to outbursts, etc. They eventually found some dietary things that contributed to that and she came around. But, both of my sibs married well, rather badly. That has been VERY hard on my folks so they lean on dh and I. Essentially, I have Golden Child status.

Dh was also, hands down the easiest child to raise in his family. His brother was a bit stronger willed and his sister was downright insolent and deceitful...still is for that matter. His brother then went on to marry a really mean, nasty woman which didn't help his relationship with his parents. It's kind of evened out and he's much more mellow...the wife has mellowed a bit too which is a massive relief, though not enough for any of us to be close. But his sister....look out...if the phone rings and it is her number, the rest of the family members fight over who HAS to take the phone call.

Faith

Before 12? Halo.

After 12? Problem child.

The main problem was that I was such a good kid when I was younger, that they thought they could just set me loose and I would be fine. They were SO WRONG!

This, exactly. Except my parents never knew I was a problem child! My mom would have a nervous breakdown if I called her up now, 15 years later, and told her what really went on. Maybe if she ever ups her anxiety meds, we'll go there. :tongue_smilie:

I'm a twin and my parents used to affectionally refer to us as the "terror twins".

My halo is there... maybe a little bent after a wild year and a half in college (met my dh and I was off the market and totally straigtened out my wayward ways. :D)

I actually think my parents did an asesome job of favoring both of us in our own unique ways. I felt loved and cherished... still do.

This, exactly. Except my parents never knew I was a problem child! My mom would have a nervous breakdown if I called her up now, 15 years later, and told her what really went on. Maybe if she ever ups her anxiety meds, we'll go there. :tongue_smilie:

My parents didn't know until I became pregnant at 16. Surprise!

I voted other. According to my parents, I had a halo. In reality, I was horrible. I was the baby by 9 years and was very spoiled. According to my parents, I could do no wrong, especially my Daddy. If I got into any trouble, it was surely someone else's fault. :001_smile: Because of their unwillingness to see anything I did as wrong, I got into LOTS of trouble as a teen. All of which they turned a blind eye to. I was never taught money management - if I wanted it, I had it. I got a brand new Camero for my 16th birthday, which I got tired of 6 months later. My dad then went and bought me another new car, a 300ZX (I wanted something I could shift!).

I was a spoiled brat in reality, and parent very differently than I was parented. I also had to learn a lot of lessons the hard way and, thankfully, am a very different person than I was growing up.

I was "good" and have always been "good. My one and only rebellion was sometime after my divorce I (shhhhhh) lived with my now-husband for a couple of months before getting married. OoOooOoooo...aren't I just the wild and crazy problem child???!! LOL

Seriously, that's about as much trouble and rebellion I've ever been able to find in myself. Well, that and the fact that I no longer believe, religiously, anything near what the rest of my family believes. However, once again, to avoid conflict and grief I don't tell them. I guess they just think we're too lazy to go to church. :)

BOooOooOooring! :D

I was the problem child... and by "problem child," I mean that I was the one who got straight A's my entire school career, held down two jobs during high school, never got a ticket or in a wreck, and generally stayed out of trouble.

HOWEVER... I believed I could do whatever I wanted, and I *did.* This included ignoring curfew whenever it suited me, bouncing from boyfriend to boyfriend, and... oh yeah... getting married to some guy I barely knew when I was barely 18.

Yeah, I was horrible.

- if I wanted it, I had it. I got a brand new Camero for my 16th birthday, which I got tired of 6 months later. My dad then went and bought me another new car, a 300ZX (I wanted something I could shift!).

I was a spoiled brat in reality, and parent very differently than I was parented. I also had to learn a lot of lessons the hard way and, thankfully, am a very different person than I was growing up.

I flip my hair at you and sneer in your general direction. I got to drive the hand me down Ford Fairmont. I drooled over 300ZXs. I would have had names for you.

Thankfully I've grown up a lot as well. :lol: