Menu

Which version/translation of the Bible do you use and why?

The first time I read through cover to cover I used the NIV. I enjoyed the language use and it was easy to get into the flow of the story line.

I am now working my way through with the BSF approach and am using the NASB. I really like the style and I have had some thought provoking moments when a word choice is different from NIV.

I am now looking for a third translation. To me the differences are as telling as the similarities.

I also would like to have the money to buy some of the Yale Anchor Commentaries but so far they are out of my price range. :lol:

Do I have to pick one? LOL.

We use ESV as a family and I use that predominantly for my own private reading. It is my favorite.

We use NKJV at church and for Awana memory. It's my second favorite.

My husband prefers NASB for his private reading but mostly because he's had that Bible for eons.

My daughter uses KJV for any work with Rod and Staff.

I have every major version in the house so there are plenty of times when we compare verses.

Mostly the New World Translation. A few benefits: it has God's name in it in all the places it was in the original texts, it's in plain English, it was translated from the original languages rather than other translation, etc.

The King James Version is nice because many passages are known across Christianity as well as "in the world" from that version. Also, though it is probably one of the least accurate versions, it is often the one people trust most so is easy to discuss with others. Though written in 1611, many people think Jesus wrote it himself. Hard to argue with those people (lol).

When I first started studying, I would have four or five translations out at a time. Many times I still look up many translations at a time, especially when referenced on this board.

I have not tried the ESV but it is on my 'possible next translation' list.

Can you explain what you mean when you say it is more readable than the NASB? I have found the NASB to be comfortable to use, does than mean I would not like the ESV?

I too like the NASB, but would you agree the NIV is a little easier to read, the language flows a little better? It is kind of like that. Literal translation like the NASB, but sounds better to my ears like the NIV.

We all use the NKJV. We like the KJV, but because we have family bible study, we use the NKJV because we feel the language is easier for the littles to understand.

DH and I really enjoy comparing many versions; ESV, NASB, KJV. Love using esword. :D

We do not, however, care for the NIV or the Message.

eta: Forgot to mention we LOVE the Amplified version.

Edited by bethanyniez

I prefer the ESV for it's accuracy and the fact it is more readable than the NASB.

:iagree: I love mine, and use it for our morning devotionals with the girls. They have NKJV that I bought them several years ago, and I'm not sure if I want to move them over to ESV yet. Sometimes it's almost *too* accurate and loses a bit of the loveliness of the language. I do love it for the notes (I have the study version).

I read the NIV because it's both accurate and very readable. I used it when I read to dc when they were younger, too. Once they could read, I bought each first an NIrV then an NIV. Our new pastor uses the ESV, which prior to technology we have today might have caused me to switch, but it's easy enough to get an e-version, so I haven't purchased a hard copy yet.

I really like the ESV. My church uses the NRSV, and I actually prefer a gender-neutral translation like the NRSV (I think it's more accurate, but that's a different thread...), but I just like the way the ESV reads. I find the NRSV kind of awkward and it just doesn't have the literary flow I think the ESV has. I've always liked the language of the RSV, and the ESV is largely a revision of that text, so maybe that's why. At this point I read the ESV almost exclusively (although I do have a few NRSV study Bibles that I like for their notes).

I also like the New Jerusalem translation. It's very readable, and when I want the deuterocanon, that's what I read.

I mostly read storybook Bibles to the kids. I'm reading the Jesus Storybook Bible to DS right now, and we both really like it. I also have a couple of children's Bibles based on the NRSV, and I like the Rhyme Bible for little ones.

I used NIV when I did my first read-throughs of the Bible.

Then I had a pastor say that the NASB was the most accurately translated. Don't know if that's true or not because I'm not a Biblical scholar :D But I've grown used to it, and we do use it for memorization.

Except for our memorization of Psalm 91. We're using the NIV for that because it's sounds soooo mega awesome!

I use any of the big ones depending on which is handy. Mostly NIV or NLT. I also think there is a place for translations like The Message but Bible study isnt the place. I stay away from translations that claim to be the only accurate one. That's a big red flag to me.

I love NKJV. That's what my bible is, and that's what our pastor preaches from.

I like The Message bible sometimes just for something different.

My girls have Adventure Bibles, and they are NIV. We read those for our daily bible time. That's the version my husband prefers.

I'm sure a lot of you know this, but you can get an app for your smartphone called youversion that has tons of translations on it. It is really cool and very easy to use. I use it all the time. It even has bible reading plans. Just fyi. :D

The family uses the NIV, it is what I was raised with and our church uses it mostly, although not completely.

For my study I switch between NIV, HCSB, and NASB. I agree with a PP that the differences are as helpful as the similarities. Many times I read a chapter in each of the 3 translations and get more understanding each time.

I would like to find a good German translation too!

NKJV. It's what our church uses and I've found it to be pretty accurate.

We do have many other versions - both in hard copy and in e-book form (I love eSword!). We do a lot of word study. My husband has self taught himself some Hebrew & Greek and will often times will look up the original Heb/Gr word (using eSword) when doing Bible Study.

My DS also has a NKJV. Although it isn't the easiest for children to use, we wanted something that he could follow along word-for-word during sermons or family Bible study. I just wish they had a good children's NKJV.

Roman Catholic (Ignatius tabbed version), translated from original tongues in 1611. Re-compared and revised in 1952 (Apocrypha, 1957).

Why: I like going with the original compilation (as much as I can as an English speaker...) ;)

a

We are a KJV only family. My DH grew up a dyed-in-the-wool Southern Baptist and that is considered "THE bible." I use it to follow his wishes and because it is the one our church teaches from. It is used for my own personal reading and for the children too. Before getting married, I also used NKJV and NIV.

I switched to ESV a couple yrs ago after much research-was thrilled about its accuracy.

However-it has been sooo hard to get used to since anything I've ever memorized has been NIV (and a tiny bit of KJV from when I was young). The passages I knew in NIV, I'd still read it in the ESV in my mind like I memorized it from NIV, etc.

After prayer, about a month ago, I was about to switch back-literally going to order a nice new NIV that next day-when I went into church and after 30 years as NIV, there were brand new ESVs in the pews that someone had donated! So now all the readings, etc, are in ESV. I took that as a sort of a sign to stick with ESV. I just had to kind of put the NIV out of my mind and be ok with the ESV, and it's going much better.

My dc use the NIV though for reading and Awana-it's just easier for them to read, understand, and enjoy.

I prefer the ESV for it's accuracy and the fact it is more readable than the NASB.

Me too. Though I read the NIV in college and liked it, I now prefer a more precise translation.

We are using the ESV for our children too. When there was only the KJV, everyone learned it. No dumbing down reading level for children or beginning readers. We recently gave DD the ESV Seek and Find Bible which has some nice kid-oriented helps and a larger font size than our thinlines. Our church uses it in worship also, so she can follow along when the Scripture is read aloud.