Menu

What do you use to wash your face?

I'm looking for something I could buy at the drugstore, or Target, or online. Not exorbitant. Something gentle but deep cleaning. I don't have acne; my skin is on the dry side with pores I wish were less visible.

It has been a difficult season (on many fronts) and I have neglected washing my face. I know that sounds crazy, but when life is overwhelming you cut corners! I have a bar of Neutrogena (I think) -- that clear, orange soap? It's too harsh/drying, and I just haven't bothered to get something else. I lean towards the more natural stuff nowadays (I've been using Dr. Bronners as hand soap). I do exfoliate with that Apricot scrub stuff every few days.

Suggestions for a nightly cleanser?

I've been using the Burt's Bees cleaner with orange oil. It's kind of viscous, and it doesn't give that squeaky Noxzema feel, but it works well for me.

Is that in a cream-colored pump dispenser? I saw that at Target for $15, then at the grocery for $10 (!). Glad to hear that's a good one... I like BB stuff.

Liz Earle, hot cloth cleanser:

http://us.lizearle.com/cleanse-tone-moisturise/cleanse-and-polish-hot-cloth-cleanser.html

It's a British company so you have to order online. She uses gentle ingredients: http://us.lizearle.com/a-z-ingredients. My skin has responded to this product so well, I've been using it for years faithfully.

It also lasts a long time.

hth

Do you wear makeup every day? Because if you don't have makeup on, you don't need any products to cleanse your face. Seriously, I just use warm water for my everyday face washing. For the odd occasion when I have stuff to remove, I use Organic Instinct cleanser, chemical free and very gentle.

I use Avalon Organics Lavender Cleansing Gel. You can get it online, Wal-mart, or I get it at the grocery store. It's around $8-$10, but it is quite a bit and lasts me several months. I also use Suki Organic Lemongrass Exfoliating Cleanser. It's more of a sugar scrub, and it smells (and even tastes) yummy like lemondrops! It is more expensive so I use it sparingly, but I just can't give it up :001_smile: You can get it online on Amazon as well as directly from the company. I buy it on Amazon for the prime shipping.

I use the generic version of Noxzema. Someone told me once that you shouldn't use that on your face, but it's what my grandmother used for years - the only thing she used. She was 88 when she died and everyone thought she was in her early 60's due to her looks. That's good enough for me (along with the fact that I've never had problems with it). ;)

I saw on Oprah once that someone suggested to use unscented baby wipes. It takes make up off like charm and my face always feels so fresh after....and soft as a baby's bottom.. LOL

But seriously I have been using baby wipes for years now because my skin is so sensitive and other products made my face break out more. I hardly ever have acne now.

I use Olay Foaming Face Wash for Sensitive Skin. I have a problem with most cleansers and for years just used water. I was so happy to find something reasonably priced that works well for me. I get it at Target.

Here's a link to the Olay site with a photo:

http://www.olay.com/skin-care-products/facial-cleansers/foaming-face-wash-sensitive?pid=075609041549

Olive oil. I have always had oily skin, but no more! I use olive oil, then wipe with a hot wet cloth. For any pimples that pop up, I put a tiny dab of honey on and it's gone. these two things have given me the best skin of my life!

Hayes, I'm so jealous. My acne is AWFUL, so I am using Neutrogena mask/daily cleanser. It comes in a tube. I'm having to use it 2x daily, and its cleaned up a lot of the acne, but the right side of my face still has lots of small zits and scars. Hard to take for someone who NEVER had zit as a teenager.:glare:

Hayes, I'm so jealous. My acne is AWFUL, so I am using Neutrogena mask/daily cleanser. It comes in a tube. I'm having to use it 2x daily, and its cleaned up a lot of the acne, but the right side of my face still has lots of small zits and scars. Hard to take for someone who NEVER had zit as a teenager.:glare:

Could be mineral deficiencies.

Rosie

I use Pond's Cold Cream at night, especially if I have been wearing make-up. In the winter I just tissue it off but in the summer I will use a warm, wet washcloth. If I need to use a little toner, then I use a cotton ball with witch hazel. My skin is mostly normal with my t-zone being more oilier than the rest of my face.

In the morning, I wash with Dove soap in the shower and then use a little Oil of Olay for a moisturizer.

My skin has never been so good since I started using the cold cream.

Ryan, have you had your hormones/thyroid checked? Seriously, I started having worse acne this year than EVER before. I started with the olive oil and am AMAZED. I put it on when I get in the shower so it steams. Then I just wipe it of with a hot wet cloth before I get out of the shower.

I've been recommending the Oil of Olay Pro-X brush. My teens use it and it helps with acne. My husband uses it and it helps with the "dusty" look he gets when the weather is dry. I use it and it helps diminish wrinkles and allow moisturizer to work better. I can go completely makeup-free, with just a little cover for my under-eye circles. My skin tone is better than when I was in my 20s and 30s. Use it with any cleanser you like. The brush is very soft and I enjoy cleaning my face in the morning.

I used to use the pHisoderm bar soap, but I can't find it anywhere anymore so I've switched to Basis (bar soap.) Recently, I tried a more expensive foaming cleanser and I had to give it away because it didn't do as good of a job as my cheap bar soap does. When I wear waterproof eye makeup, I use the Lancome eye makeup remover that comes in the "free with purchase" bag every season.

Those who mentioned olive oil - just the kind from the grocery store? Or some special kind? Used like soap - spread all over face then rinsed off?

Same questions about honey please. Thanks.

I'm a honey user. ;)

Yes, I just use the regular kind from the grocery store. Most people find the raw to work a bit better, but I have a hard time justifying the extra cost. I keep a bottle in the shower, put about a quarter size amount in my hand, rub on, leave for about 30 seconds to a minute, and rinse. Easy peasy.

It took my skin about two weeks to adjust to my not using a harsh cleanser.

I'm a honey user. ;)

Yes, I just use the regular kind from the grocery store. Most people find the raw to work a bit better, but I have a hard time justifying the extra cost. I keep a bottle in the shower, put about a quarter size amount in my hand, rub on, leave for about 30 seconds to a minute, and rinse. Easy peasy.

It took my skin about two weeks to adjust to my not using a harsh cleanser.

Hmmm....interesting. I think I'll try that.