Menu

WWYD? DD12 desperately wants a furry pet...I desperately don't!

DD12 has begged and begged for a furry pet. She has wanted one since she was able to talk. I have put her off and put her off for years. Last year, we were getting ready to sell our house, and I told her I would consider a dog at our new house (would have been a house with acreage). Dh lost his job and is starting a new business, so moving is out of the question.

I don't want a hamster, gerbil, mouse, rat, Guinea pig (sp?), rabbit, snake, salamander, bird, cat, dog or any other pet.

She would love any or all of those. LOL

She has an aquarium with 15 fish. It isn't exactly the pet she was hoping it would be.

I don't want fur. I don't want vet bills. I don't want to worry about finding a caretaker when we are gone. I don't want to have a pet at home when she goes away to college.

She has cried twice in the past month over this issue. She is willing to do the work, and even cleans the neighbors g. pig cage weekly for her. She is a tough kid and I know it really is a true desire for her to have such a strong

reaction.

WWYD? I want her to have her hearts desire, but I dont' want a pet.

I would get her a guinea pig or two (preferably two because they're social creatures). They only live 5-6 years, so won't be around when she goes off to college. She already knows how to clean the cage and is certainly old enough to feed it and care for it daily. Keep it in a hutch outside so there isn't a hair in the house problem. My kids are allowed to bring their guinea pigs inside to play with, but must keep them on a towel. We get a little bit of hair, but not a lot. I've never taken ours to the vet, never needed to. The only thing that's a hastle is having to find a caretaker when we're away, but if your neighbors have guinea pigs, maybe you can set up a trade-off. Dd looks after theirs when they are away; they look after hers when you're away.

They really are easy pets, and if your dd wants one so much, I'd give in and let her, especially as she's willing and able to care for them.

I'm a dog person, and have four of them, but in your situation, I'd perhaps consider an older cat - especially if you've been able to evaluate for temperament and know that it's an affectionate critter. And there are plenty of affectionate/not aloof cats.

Guinea pigs and other small furries just aren't the same as a dog or cat - we had rats, and while they're cool little critters, the smell was awful (and we cleaned their cage weekly - took the whole thing outside, hosed and washed it, etc., plus spot cleaning during the week). For similar reasons, I won't ever consider another rodent.

To help keep kitty healthy, keep it inside, feed a quality food and limit snacks, and perhaps look for a low-cost vet option for routine care.

I also think that cats are probably easier than rodents and other caged animals when it comes to leaving the house for a few days. When we went on vacation, I had a friend pop in to check in on our cats once a day, whereas our gecko requires having his cage misted frequently, and having crickets kept in a separate container for feeding (and the crickets require care, too - they need to have food and water (or those gel-like pellets from which they can draw water, etc.). The snake is easy in that way, but ...again, not furry or cuddly.

The biggest drawback to cats is the litter box (including location, maintenance, and cost), but it sounds like your dd would be a caring and responsible pet owner, and frequent (at least once daily) scooping won't be a problem. It helps to have an out-of-the-way location for the box.

I don't think there's a way to make both of you completely happy here, though. If you might consider a cat, perhaps you could offer to foster, or otherwise bring one home on a trial basis?

I don't want fur. I don't want vet bills. I don't want to worry about finding a caretaker when we are gone. I don't want to have a pet at home when she goes away to college.

I would say "No". I have said "No". I will continue to say "No".

I don't like animals. I don't like worry. I don't like hassle (by which I mean more hassle).

If my dd gets as desperate as your daughter sounds, I would work really hard to find her a volunteer position working with animals.

I would not do a dog if I were you, unless you are sure that you dd is responsible enough to take care of it. I have known a few girls about that age or a little older that would take the responsibility of training and caring for a dog. It is a lot of work to do it right. I am not a cat person and would not have a cat unless we lived on a lot of land and it was an outdoor cat. Any of the others I would do without a problem. I am terrified of snakes so that would be out. Anything else wouldn't be a problem for me.

I like the idea of getting an older cat! Brilliant idea! The cat wont be around when she goes to college, and will also be a better pet in your situation. I can't see you dealing with the craziness of a kitten.

As mentionned, cats can be left alone for up to 3 days, with food water and litter boxes. If you leave for longer, you only need someone to come every 2nd day to visit. You don't need to find someone who will take the pet home. It's much easier that way.

Older cats are hard to find homes for them. So if anyone in your community has to get rid of a beloved cat, there's usually no choice. It's the shelter, and that's heart breaking. You're going to make someone really happy by offering a home to an older cat.

As for vet bills, the older cat will have almost nothing until old age. And then, it's up for you to decide what to do. We used to vaccinate the kittens for a few years, and neuter them, but once they reached 5yo, that was it. Their next visit to the vet was for euthanasia, and nothing else. Either they got sick and healed on their own, or they got sick and that was the end of the road for them. Most of our cats reached 12 yo, if not more. So no vet bills.

There is no way I would ever get a dog or a cat even though my daughter really wants one. If my son wasn't so terribly allergic and I really thought my daughter would love and take care of the animal, I'd let her get a bunny or a hamster or some small animal that would be caged.

We actually kept a friend's bunny for a week while they were on vacation to see how it would go. First, my son got hives just by sitting a few feet away from it. Second, my daughter ignored it after the first few days we had it. Now, my sdd spent every evening cuddling and petting that bunny for as long as we had it. If we didn't have the allergy issue, and she wasn't getting ready to move on to college, I would have happily have gotten her a bunny.

As it is, we will never get a furry pet.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I like the idea of getting an older cat! Brilliant idea! The cat wont be around when she goes to college, and will also be a better pet in your situation. I can't see you dealing with the craziness of a kitten.

As mentionned, cats can be left alone for up to 3 days, with food water and litter boxes. If you leave for longer, you only need someone to come every 2nd day to visit. You don't need to find someone who will take the pet home. It's much easier that way.

Older cats are hard to find homes for them. So if anyone in your community has to get rid of a beloved cat, there's usually no choice. It's the shelter, and that's heart breaking. You're going to make someone really happy by offering a home to an older cat.

As for vet bills, the older cat will have almost nothing until old age. And then, it's up for you to decide what to do. We used to vaccinate the kittens for a few years, and neuter them, but once they reached 5yo, that was it. Their next visit to the vet was for euthanasia, and nothing else. Either they got sick and healed on their own, or they got sick and that was the end of the road for them. Most of our cats reached 12 yo, if not more. So no vet bills.

:iagree: Our local shelter also has a program where if you foster an older "unadoptable" dog or cat they pay for the food and medical bills. You're pretty much a forever home at that point.

We have dwarf hamsters. They are so small they don't smell bad. My 7yo can change the cage herself. We can leave them a week with extra food - no problem. They only live 1-2 years (one just died last week and while it was traumatic for my dd, it was a good learning experience). Leave it ALL up to your dd to care for it (this should be no problem for someone wanting a pet).

A couple of things

1. help her start a pet sitting/dog walking business. Your local park authority may even offer the red cross pet first aid class for her to take and list in advertising to neighbors.

2. help her find a rescue organization she can help with. Some won't let kids help, but some do. My dd helps with a guinea pig rescue. My neighbor is guinea pig foster. She goes to events and helps with the handling of the pigs. She also helps with care and sometimes goes and plays with foster pigs at my neighbor's house. She's gotten experience with administering medicine through her involvement. Her career goal right now is to be a vet so this is good experience.

Some of the bigger dog and cat rescues won't want a 12 yo or won't see how a 12 yo can help. However, smaller ones may find a place. There's a boxer rescue in my town. It's just one woman and up to 8 dogs at a time. She needs people to come and walk the dogs and clean crates.

Another place to check is the ASPCA.

My daughter is also in a large animal 4H club. The park authority owns the animals and they live on a farm that is a park. However, without owning a goat, cow, sheep, or horse my dd has gotten a lot of experience with these animals too.

These activities will your dd satisfy some of her pet need and they will help you assess her responsibility toward having a pet. So, I recommend trying to follow this interest of hers and reassessing.

I've never taken ours to the vet, never needed to. The only thing that's a hastle is having to find a caretaker when we're away, but if your neighbors have guinea pigs, maybe you can set up a trade-off.

A couple of things about guinea pigs: First off, yes, get two. They are very social beings, and a single piggie, especially one isolated outside (which I would not do, by the way), would be extremely lonely.

Also, although they don't need vets often, when they do it is expensive. And not just every vet on the nearest corner will know how to care for them properly. We nearly lost one of ours, because we didn't know this and took her to the vet where we had taken our cats. After days and finally suggesting a surgery he told us she wouldn't be likely to survice, he finally admitted he didn't know what he was doing and referred us to a practice that specializes in "exotic" pets. They are wonderful, but definitely more expensive than the previous office.

Also, piggies are a bit delicate. So, if they do get sick or injured, they have a rougher time recovering.

All of that said, we did love ours very much. They were sweet little things, and they didn't require a lot in the way of daily care.

But, if we had known about the health and vet issues before acquiring them, I doubt we would have done so.

I love our gerbils. I have a lot on my plate and purposely chose a pet I could forget about for days at a time. ;)

They're desert animals, so they pee (and thus smell) very little. We only clean the cage once a month or so. More often is better, but they are thriving and don't smell before that point.

My dd9 refills their water every other day, food bowl coupla times a week, takes them out to play now and then.

They are a bit skittish, not a cuddle in your lap type of pet, but we've all learned a lot about rodent/prey behavior and they love to come get seeds from our hands.

Mostly, I love that my kids love them and they take almost zero effort from me. If we go away 4 days or so, we leave them home. Much more than that and we give them to a friend who has hamsters.

Amy

I vote older cat. Go to the SPCA/Humane Society - they'll have a room full of cats that you can 'hang' with for a while - as long as you want. The older ones hardly ever get placed in a home. Heck - they were thrilled that we chose a 4 month old rather than the tiny kittens.

You can leave a cat by itself, as long as you provide water and food. They are very low maintenance....

I'd get the cat! Check out the shelters for one that is older and possibly de-clawed (it would have to be indoor cat if it is declawed). I'm not an advocate of declawing but clipping nails and furniture scratching would not be a worry in one that is already declawed. An older, short hair female would be a good choice. Dogs require a lot of training/retraining and do have accidents. Cats LIKE to use their boxes. The only thing is that the boxes must be cleaned regularly. Good thing is that there are lots of litterbox choices and some practically clean themselves. :) Pets are fantastic for children. Some of my best childhood memories revolve around the pets we had. I hope you get her a furry friend. :thumbup:

ps....the furbabies have a way of working themselves into your heart. You may find that her new friend is yours too.

And he finally caved for me after a traumatic experience. I was at my aunt's home for spring break. She always fed the stray animals around her house, and she told me the little kitten could be "mine" whenever I visited. It was hit and killed by a car before I returned home.

So Mom and Dad okayed my first cat when I was eight.

I loved that cat. Mom isn't here for me to ask how much I did for the cat's care, but I remember feeding her everyday. Missy was not friendly by cat standards, but she slept next to me every night. And curled up in my lap while we watched TV. I even remember holding her on my lap on the trip when we moved 800 miles or so to another state.

I'm not sure how old I was when she died, but I remember Dad said, "No more cats."

And then when I was 21 (fresh out of college but still too broke to move out), he caved again when a neighbor came around with a kitten he had to get rid of.

Ashes stayed in my bedroom with me until I moved out 2 years later. She was a great roommate in my first place of my own.

I don't have the same feeling about animals that you have, but I'm really glad my dad caved for me. He did not like pets. He didn't pet them. He didn't talk to them. He tried to ignore them. (I'm sure there were vet bills he covered for Missy.) But he allowed me to have something that meant a lot in my childhood.

FYI cats can start to pee in your house and it is difficult to control or even know about until it is an ingrained habit :(

I have owned 4 cats at various times in my life and have never had this happen.

Sometimes, we just *do stuff* for our kids because we love them - even if we realllllllllly don't want to do it.

Go get the pet. Enjoy the hugs and the excitement. Hang your MyMomRocks award over your bed. ;)

:iagree: this. absolutely this.

ann

FYI cats can start to pee in your house and it is difficult to control or even know about until it is an ingrained habit :(

This sort of thing can happen with any animal. In cats, it is usually the sign that something is wrong. If the litterbox isn't kept clean or if there is a UTI they will urinate inappropriately. Males that are not neutered may start to spray and that is a huge motivator for getting them neutered ASAP. I've had 3 males and 2 have never done any inappropriate urinating or spraying. One began to pee in the sink and I immediately started watching him. In less than 30 min he was obviously in distress and in the hospital with a UTI. Fortunately, with diet changes he is a happy kitty and no more problems. So really, what I think people may think is a 'bad habit' , 'naughty behavior', or a 'learned behavior' could very well be the way our pets are trying to tell us they are having a problem. In my cats case, the vet explained that UTI feels like shards of glass when they urinate. The sink surface was cool and helped a little with the pain.

Have you thought about fostering for a shelter? I know that the shelter we volunteer for is always looking for foster homes. I would love to foster for the shelter, but our dog would be very unhappy if we did that.

We fostered. That is how we added another cat to our household. Couldn't foster after that. I have problems giving the fosters back. :lol:

We all want a cat but are currently renting with a landlord who won't allow pets at all. However, when we do buy again and settle down, we will be getting a Cornish Rex cat. They don't shed! I lived with hairy cats my entire life and I'm done with cat hair. Look into them maybe!

We all want a cat but are currently renting with a landlord who won't allow pets at all. However, when we do buy again and settle down, we will be getting a Cornish Rex cat. They don't shed! I lived with hairy cats my entire life and I'm done with cat hair. Look into them maybe!

Yes, Cornish and Devon Rex cats don't really shed, so that might be an option. I have two Sphynx (hairless) cats, and they're fantastic. They aren't cheap as kittens, but if you put the word out to breeders that you're looking for an older cat, you may have some luck.

Man, you guys are making it hard on me LOLOLOL

I grew up with pets. My sibling's pets. The usual fare: bunnies, cats, dogs. When our family dog was aging and went to live at my grandmother's, (the dog was barking too much for a neighborhood) my mother decided to surprise me and brought me home a dog of my own, an Australian Sheppard. I was 16 and never asked for a pet. She loves pets. I didn't want a dog because I was going to be leaving home for college soon. I figured that my mom really wanted the dog, and used me for her excuse, so the dog would just stay with them after I moved away. Well, the dog got stolen, I was fine with that, again I didn't really want the pet anyways. SO, my mother shows up with a kitten, for me. LOL Gifts are her love language..and well she is a sucker for pets in boxes in front of stores.

When I moved out, she did fully expect me to take the cat with me. So, I did reluctantly. FFWD to marriage and babies...we found ourselves with a child with a cat allergy as a baby so the cat went to live with my now single father. He is no longer allergic-so that excuse is gone.

At the point when we were talking about letting her have a dog when we moved....it was because of all pets, I prefer bigger dogs. I won't have one on my 7,000sqft city lot. To me they have a function beyond a pet..as a watch dog.

I do like animals, it isn't that. If we fostered, I would get attached. I just know how much responsibility they are and how expensive they get. I guess working in pharmacy brings that home on a daily basis. Selling insulin to diabetic cats, pain meds for surgeries, various other medications for illnesses that you would never expect. My mil rescues older large dogs, and there are years that she has spent thousands on them, for things like hip dysplasia and tumors....I don't have it. My other mil runs a cat rescue and has 40+ cats on a regular basis (she is 4 hours away or else dd12 would be there all the time). She would gladly give me a cat :0) LOL

I actually laugh now, because EVERY TIME I feel my heart moved a bit in her direction...someone tells me a horrific pet story that involves huge bills. EVERY TIME> lol From a friend whose cat got breast cancer and had to have a mastectomy, to the cat that got hit by a car and its jaw wired shut and syringe fed, to the 3mth old puppy that jumped off the bed and broke its legs. The gerbil that bit a child so hard the child had to go to the dr for a stitch. Or simply the single mouse that came home from the pet store...pregnant.

The pet thing is hard. The responsibilities are huge. I've spent quite a bit of money (outside of normal vet care) on one doggie due to her Lyme. I love how my kids love their animals. I did forget to mention the two small female rats my oldest ds has left in our care. He's in grad student housing, so no pets. We do have a small cottage on our property where the rats and hamster live. The cats are not allowed in there. If we didn't have that, we couldn't have those rodents. They just don't mix with cats. ;) The kids adore them (and feel a responsibility towards their brother) and socialize them daily, as rats need frequent handing. I have nothing to do with their care and am not a big fan. They are very smart and clean, but they are rats.

What?? Our cat LOVES our hamster! She rubs against him with her cheek, with the kind of affection she shows us. :) Not saying I'd let the cat and the hamster be alone, or anything. But the hamster is always in a cage or under direct supervision, and they mix fine. :)

Another vote for gentle, affectionate older cat here! Or hamster. They're easy, and don't stink at all if you clean the cage weekly (which takes only about 5 minutes).

What?? Our cat LOVES our hamster! She rubs against him with her cheek, with the kind of affection she shows us. :) Not saying I'd let the cat and the hamster be alone, or anything. But the hamster is always in a cage or under direct supervision, and they mix fine. :)

Another vote for gentle, affectionate older cat here! Or hamster. They're easy, and don't stink at all if you clean the cage weekly (which takes only about 5 minutes).

Our little hamster is adorable. Doesn't smell at all. We once had a gerbil and my old cat got along well with him! This hamster is so tiny..not bigger than a toad.

Edited by LibraryLover

I would do just about anything for my girls... but I won't get a pet. DH, Rebecca, and I are all allergic to cat hair. I'm allergic to dogs as well. Rebecca begs constantly for a pet, but we simply can't have one. I would love to give her her heart's desire, but... we're not supposed to have pets where we are, 3/4th of the family is allergic, we don't have extra $$ for pet things/vet things... on and on. It's hard.

I don't like animals. I don't like worry. I don't like hassle (by which I mean more hassle).

If my dd gets as desperate as your daughter sounds, I would work really hard to find her a volunteer position working with animals.

This is what I would do too. (Except that I love animals. We have several.)

Call the animal shelter and local vets to see what your options are. It would satisfy her desire to be around furry folk and give her some volunteer experience for her future resume. She can work with a variety of animals that way. Our shelter has cats, dogs, and small animals (rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters). A boy we know who started volunteering at the animal shelter around age 12 was given a part-time job at the shelter when he turned 16, so there's always that possibility too. :)

Cat

Here's the thing: I truly don't understand not wanting a pet. I just honestly don't get it. With the exception of a few months after the second of my "before husband and kids" cats died, I've never been without pets in my home. I never intend to be so.

However, if you really, truly feel strongly about not wanting an animal, I don't think you should give in on this one. Yes, your daughter will be sad. But I've seen and heard too many awful things about what happens to pets when they are taken in by people who don't really want them around. If you don't want the commitment, please don't do it. If you resent the animal, it will know, and your daughter will still be sad. If you don't love the animal, is there a chance you will resent the money needed for vet bills? Will you delay taking a sick animal in for treatment, because it's expensive and you're not really all that attached? How would your daughter feel then?

I'm not trying to be cruel. In my heart of hearts, I hope you relent, get your daughter a pet and discover you like it, too.

But I really don't think it's fair to either the animal or your daughter to consent and then resent. Or worse, decide after a while that you made a mistake and get rid of an animal to which your daughter is attached.

Please think it through carefully, and be very honest with yourself about what you can handle? Pets are wonderful, but they do come with expense, hassle and responsibility.

I love dogs. We've had every kind of pet under the sun. But based on your post, I wouldn't do it. At all.

In my experience, no matter how good and responsible your kid is, they are still kids, and you WILL end up doing some part of the pet caretaking. I LOVE my dog, but I still hate some aspects of having a dog. My kids constantly beg for another pet...and I've put my foot down because I don't want another one to take care of.

Well, they do shed (18 years' experience talking here) but their shedding is like lint fluff and the amount is minimal compared to typical-haired cats.

Have you had a Rex before? Mine was very vocal, quite energetic and playful as a youngster, inquisitive, extremely tolerant, and was just like having another super-lovey child!

To the OP: if you decide on a dog or a cat (or even a gerbil or hamster) be prepared for vet bills. I would probably have a heart attack if I ever added up the total amount of vet bills for my cat... especially if I added medication costs to those. Some animals end up with chronic but manageable diseases when they really aren't that old, and the choice is: don't treat them, let them suffer and die; euthanize them when they're diagnosed; or pay out for meds, tests, vet visits, etc. for years... and you don't know how many years, could be 10 or more.

Edited by TrixieB

our local shelter will let older children as in about your dd's age come in and pet and play with and just love on the forever cats that will never be adopted out. They will also assign a particular cat to a child so that when that child comes in their cat is waiting for them to be theirs while they are at the shelter. Maybe your dd would like something like this. She will be able to chose a cat that is hers whenever she goes to the shelter.

I totally agree with this. My kids have the rest of their lives to get pets. We homeschool and so much of my day/life revolves around my children. I do not owe my kids a childhood pet. They can get one when they move out and have their own families.

Ironically, my girlfriends who gave their kids pets all tell me not to get a pet. They love their pets but are tired of the upkeep/expense/allergy issues.

My kids have the rest of their lives to get pets.

But they only have their childhood to have a childhood pet. Childhood pets do create special memories that are just not the same as adulthood pets. The ties are just so special when you're a child, or a young teen. Then it changes. I am a firm believer that pets are important when growing up, almost as much as friends. A furry pet of the canine or feline sort is a very special friend indeed, that's always there for you, regardless of the blunders you do. It's unconditional love (no, there is a condition - a pet will return the feelings you have towards it, love the pet and it will love you, ignore the pet and you won't be loved).

I think it was someone on this board who suggested getting a dog when your eldest child reaches the teen years. That way, there would always be someone in the family s/he can turn to, even if s/he did something really really stupid.

Btw, we now have a dog, even though we're dealing with allergies. And it changed the family for the best.