Menu

s/o Please Read - What do people think of you?

I was reading AngelBee's thread and somebody mentioned that there were several regular posters that she questioned the legitimacy of.

**okay, I'm going to say it - the dreaded phrase......just roll with me here - I KNOW I'm not the only one**

Am I the only one who finds myself questioning if one of those people might be.......ahem....me????

Maybe I'm just ultra self-conscious. Wait....yeah, I am. I know that. But still.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone would question my legitimacy...I have never posted anything that would seem strange (I don't think :tongue_smilie:), and I met so many people at the RFWP conference that at least they know I am real, my boys and DH are real...

I have never questioned anyone in my mind (I'm not observant enough I guess) and I don't think anyone is questioning me...

I was reading AngelBee's thread and somebody mentioned that there were several regular posters that she questioned the legitimacy of.

**okay, I'm going to say it - the dreaded phrase......just roll with me here - I KNOW I'm not the only one**

Am I the only one who finds myself questioning if one of those people might be.......ahem....me????

Maybe I'm just ultra self-conscious. Wait....yeah, I am. I know that. But still.

There are a few very regular posters who I generally think, if not outright trolls, are total drama-seekers. And no, you're not one of them.

Well, I never questioned you. You're too legit. To quit. :lol:

Last year, each one of my kids was going through some cr@p and I had posted about each one individually. But then I posted an update about ALL of them. Some one wrote that she had read all the threads didn't realize all those things had happened to my kids.

I didn't think SHE was doubting me but it made me wonder if other people were, KWIM?

ETA: Plus you're from Iowa. Everyone is honest in Iowa, right?

I guess I could just truly care less. I have been here a long time and posted a lot of personal things...so, if someone doubts I am who I say I am then they can just not respond to my posts, I guess.

I have always been that way, though. When I was a kid, I would complain to my mom that so and so didn't "like me" and she always told me, "honey...when someone tells me they don't like me, I tell them they are just going to have to get in line." It stuck with me. You can't make everyone like you (or trust you, or whatever). Such is life.

Well Im not a regular poster, but I am usually a regular lurker. :001_smile: I have a couple blogs that I do not advertise here. Never really thought about doing it... well, wait- I did think about it for half a second but then shot the idea down cuz my main blog is used for advertising one of my businesses. My other blog is too personal to post. I have always wanted to have a blog that shares our homeschooling life but I know from how much I have blogged the blogs (LOL!!) I already have that I just dont have the time. But I am a real person. :001_smile:

I know it seems really dumb but I usually only think about it if they have no blog. Most everyone here advertises their blog.

But what if you're a blog dropout?! I tried, truly.

What I find funny is how many posters can have a ton of posts, and yet I've never noticed them before. For example, I cannot ever recall running into the OP before, but Clarkacademy is familiar to me, and you both have a similar post count. :confused:

I have come to the conclusion that most people don't think twice about me. If I never came back here, I dont think a missing persons post would pop up. That's a good thing, because I really shouldn't invest emotionally in an online board. If I thought I mattered here, I would spend way more time and emotional energy on this. I've done that before and it was a bad thing.

My two cents:

If people want to doubt me, they can have at it. I'll never post a link to my blog or the names of my children or even the state I live in, ever again.

See my sig if you wonder why.

(Although I do have many friends here who will vouch for me. Lately my activity here is almost all by private message! It is hard to stay private on the forums after being fairly open in the past, but I'm learning.)

I hope nobody will lay open their life to the public just to prove they are not a troll. Please, mommies, practice Internet safety. Don't let anyone learn about your children here. Don't give your location, show photos of the outside of your house, or detail your child's activities around town. And if you share that type of info on your blog, only give the link to people you know and trust.

Some of the trolls that pop up from time to time are just un-socialized people who mean no harm, I'm sure of that, but the dark kind show up here now and then. Unsinkable was right about perverts showing up when the hot topic on the boards is sp*nking. That is a fact of life on the internet, and women and children are vulnerable.

To the OP: I'm a troll hunter from 'way back and I've never suspected you for an instant. As someone with a long history of poverty and trouble, I can usually trust my instinct when it comes to hard times and sob stories. Your struggles lately are uncomfortable for you, I'm sure, but within the range of normal during this economic period in America. Please don't worry about this.

Yes, I think that. But, as someone posted on another thread recently, if we have ever had a conversation, you can bet I have replayed it and dissected it over and over, looking for what stupid thing I said.

While there are probably some drama queens around here, I run into the same IRL, so that doesn't seem particularly out of the ordinary to me. And, frankly, we all have those seasons where the sky seems to fall.

It's never occurred to me that not having a blog would make me stand out as peculiar. Guess I'll have to start blogging again and update my siggy with that and the kids' curriculum. ;) ('cause that strikes me as more of a red flag than lack of blog)

:iagree:

:lol:

I know it seems really dumb but I usually only think about it if they have no blog. Most everyone here advertises their blog.

Never having been into forums before, I didn't realize this was an issue until the other day. Yes, I live in a cave. I have never had a blog and do not participate in social networking sites (exept to print coupons!). After seeing this, I am wondering if others would think I am a troll. I am not exactly sure what a troll is yet, but I guess I have a good idea.:confused: I spend more time here trying to glean info for HS than I have available, and I certainly do not have time for a blog, although I would like to! I did buy items from two different members recently, so I guess they know I am real!

I think maybe I'm an illegitimate poster because I don't have a photo of myself, or any kind of avatar. Also some weeks I post a lot and others not at all. And there there's the fact that I think the economy is about to fully crash (in a worse way than in 2008) and whoever does not have a woodburning stove or fireplace is going to be very sorry.

However I don't mention the stove stuff to friends IRL unless the topic somehow presents itself (not by me), so most people don't know that bit of weirdness.

But if people truly don't want to deal with someone they think is a troll, isn't there some kind of "ignore" feature on these boards? If I think a thread is going to drive me nuts I just don't click it. Or I click it, realize my mistake, and reboot my computer if necessary.

A post either violates the forum guidelines or it doesn't.

I have come to the conclusion that most people don't think twice about me. If I never came back here, I dont think a missing persons post would pop up.

I feel that way too about my own postings.

I'm self-conscious too, it passed my mind for a moment, then I started thinking like Shannon. Most people probably just don't care enough (long term anyway) to notice.

My two cents:

I hope nobody will lay open their life to the public just to prove they are not a troll. Please, mommies, practice Internet safety. Don't let anyone learn about your children here. Don't give your location, show photos of the outside of your house, or detail your child's activities around town. And if you share that type of info on your blog, only give the link to people you know and trust.

Thank you for posting this...I was beginning to think I was the "weird one" who didn't divulge such info. (My husband is in IT -- we don't do blogs, Facebook, MySpace, etc. etc. He really didn't want me to join WTM, but agreed to let me if I didn't divulge any personal info.)

I am new, new, new...was pointed this direction when I was asking homeschooling questions on a different parenting forum.

I don't have a blog to link. I guess I should go away. The blog that I am starting to write is a really small niche- fundraising for non-profit newspapers and a neighborhood non-profit management blog. I doubt my fellow homeschoolers WANT to see THAT! :001_smile:

I was beginning to think I was the "weird one" who didn't divulge such info. (My husband is in IT -- we don't do blogs, Facebook, MySpace, etc. etc. He really didn't want me to join WTM, but agreed to let me if I didn't divulge any personal info.)

Same here, although my blog is private/by invitation only and meant for family and friends, so I don't list it here. I think my dh would have a heart attack if I put identifying info out here.

Really? There are many of us (myself included) that simply don't have the time to write a blog. I applaud those who do. Good for you. But just because you don't advertise a blog should not make ANYONE question your legitimacy. No idea that having a blog was so "clique-ish".

Sorry to interrupt but I've just got to ask ... what on earth is a troll??? I guess I'm completely naive here please enlighten me. Should I be worried???

Someone who misrepresents themselves for the sake of sympathy, pot-stirring, drama. There was someone a little while ago for instance who claimed she had 17 kids and was looking to buy a 10 bedroom house and had a LOT of threads started about the surrounding drama.

I admit I had dread I was one of them. I am too insecure for my own good. I know I am not the type of person people like much, so when I see/hear things like that I automatically assume it's me. Not to mention the fact my life really is kinda crazy ;) though when the really crazy stuff happens I try to post pictures to show I am not jsut looking for trouble. At the same time I know that if I left the hive I would not be all that much missed, and in some ways that is okay. I would rather be overlooked than hated. But that is my own insecurities talking.

of course the fact I am pmsing this week does not help as I am taking things far too personally.

I know I have a decent amount of drama going on. I don't usually need help/advice on the good things, so I tend to post the drama. I've been trying to post more good, or "fluff" topics (like my poop vs work, and what to cook polls).

I hope things will get better when we're settled next door and we go from our not-working-so-well summer routine back to a good school routine and schedule.

But what if you're a blog dropout?! I tried, truly.

What I find funny is how many posters can have a ton of posts, and yet I've never noticed them before. For example, I cannot ever recall running into the OP before, but Clarkacademy is familiar to me, and you both have a similar post count. :confused:

I have come to the conclusion that most people don't think twice about me. If I never came back here, I dont think a missing persons post would pop up. That's a good thing, because I really shouldn't invest emotionally in an online board. If I thought I mattered here, I would spend way more time and emotional energy on this. I've done that before and it was a bad thing.

:iagree: This is SO me!!

Do you have any bridges you have to cross regularly?

Silly unsinkable, the troll doesn't CROSS bridges. It lives UNDER them. The goats cross the bridge, trip-trap, trip-trap.

I am another who considers some regulars to be trolls. Spotted a new troll today though. OP, you do not come across as a troll.

I'm probably listed by someone as a drama queen. So be it. My life has periods of intense drama, and I choose to share instead of going nutso, so that I can be covered in prayer, and with the hope that maybe something will help someone.

It does tick me off a little to be thought of so disparagingly. But so what? It's a message board. Can't please everyone, can't have a personality that is going to suit all.