Menu

Do you do the pledge in your homeschool? Do schools in your area

There's a thread on this on one of the teaching boards I'm also on, and I'm curious. I've used the Pledge for memory work for my DD, but I have to say I never even considered it something that we should be doing it daily-but apparently it's required in my state (presumably for public schools) unless parents have religious objections to it.

Here's a chart of state-by state laws.

http://undergod.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000074

The public schools here do it. We do not do it regularly in our homeschool although every now and then we go over it because it's one of those things everybody knows so I figure my kids should know it, too lol. ETA: Somehow, saying it every day seems a little... creepy or something. :P (I grew up saying it every day in school and never thought that, but looking back, in hindsight, I don't know....)!

Edited by NanceXToo

When ds attended public school for one semester last year they did. I didn't even realize it at the time, but upon asking him later he said that they did.

They never said it at all in his three years at private school and it's not something we'll ever recite here at home either.

Yes we say it daily to commence school, and yes, according to the chart, it is required of the schools and the students in my state. I do it because we always did it daily, too, in the Roman Catholic schools I attended 1 state over. At my age, it's amazing I can remember that! :tongue_smilie:

Ok, so according to the chart my state is required to recite daily, but I know for sure they do not actually do it daily. I know this from personal experience attending PS for 3 years and assisting a teacher for 1.5 years.

We have done the pledge occasionally but it has been awhile. It is not something I worry too much about.

We don't do it. My oldest knows it, since she attended PS Kindergarten and they said it there, but we never say it at home. Like a PP, I find it a bit creepy. I've felt that way since 1st grade (and I had to do the Pledge AND sing a bunch of patriotic songs every. morning.)

I'll teach it to my younger boys, as there will be instances where they will be expected to know it, but I have no intentions of making it a part of our regular school day.

My state says the Pledge and state pledge are both required; we do neither at home.

My kids do the pledge at scouts, though, so that's good enough for me. We've also studied it in social studies, even taking it apart line by line to cover it's meaning and history (we'll do that again over the years, too).

I'm not from this state, didn't realize it had it's own pledge, and don't plan to cover that at all. We will study a handful of states in-depth, including the one we currently live in, just because of attachments to them (where the in-laws live, etc.) so maybe I can present the state pledge at that time ... but to teach it isn't anything I feel compelled to do. I doubt they'd get exposure to the state pledge elsewhere, so ... it is what it is.

We object to the pledge, so we never say it (in public or at home). We take oaths very seriously, so the two main reasons are:

1. We do not believe in pledging fealty to a nation state. If it were to the principles of liberty, it wouldn't be a problem, but not only do we object to pledging to a government in general, but the U.S. government in particular isn't following the Constitution in many ways, so it's a dangerous and dishonest vow.

2. We are an atheist family, so we do not believe our nation is "under God." Words have power, and we want to teach our children that they should always mean what they say.

I attended private secular elementary and public schools from 6th grade onward. I vaguely remember a flag and the pledge at the private school, but we never said it in public school. We did say it at assemblies. My aunt was an elem teacher in a public school and, when I visited her school, they did say it. I got the impression it was daily.

I am not that formal. We don't really have a dramatic opening of the day at home, so I am not even sure how this would work? Regardless I associate it with formal proceedings so I don't.

I had no idea it was 'required' in some states.

We say the pledge to the American Flag, the Christian Flag, and the Bible every Monday morning. My kids have been in public and private christian and said these everyday.

As an American, I do pledge my allegiance (my loyalty) to the principles and ideals of my country. More so than that, I pledge my loyalty to my God and the truths of the Christian faith. We strive to live by the bible so of course I make a verbal declaration of my loyalty to it and all three of these institutions.

Just my 2 cents which everyone is entitled to.

This will be our 4th year homeschooling, and we have never said it every day - although it is something that I want my kids to know. I was actually just going over it with my son yesterday b/c he completely forgot it. At the same time, I think the pledge is 'idealistic' and I don't agree that our country always stands for justice and liberty. I encourage our kids to think critically about things like that.

Just a few weeks ago we were at my son's swim meet and they sang the National Anthem. None of my kids knew it, and my just-turned 5 year old kept asking me where our flag was - although a huge flag was hanging right in front of us on the wall. I felt embarrassed and realized that I probably need to take the time to go over this stuff with our kids!

I did it when we homeschooled K and 1st and then it just fell by the wayside. Dd says it in ps. IDK about the secondary school kids.

We place our hands over our hearts when the flag goes by in a parade, and we sing the Nat'l Anthem and America The Beautiful in church on the Fourth. (FWIW)

I'm curious…why do your schools choose to say The Pledge of Allegiance instead of singing your national anthem? [our national anthem was sung every morning when I was in elementary]

I'm trying to remember your pledge from tv and such…

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands…….ummm…..Something about life, liberty, and happiness for all.. I think…? Sheesh, I know I've heard it enough.. I should know it!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands…….ummm…..Something about life, liberty, and happiness for all.. I think…? Sheesh, I know I've heard it enough.. I should know it!

No happiness!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty, and justice for all.

My husband's school district requires that the pledge be said each morning. My husband complied though he does occasionally forget and skip it. He also works hard to teach his first graders the major patriotic songs during the year.

We said it nearly every day in our homeschool until the children had it memorized. It was part of our memory work. Now they only say it weekly at Awana club. I really just don't want to waste the time on something we've already memorized. I'm always adding in new memory work and would prefer to just move on to other things.

I don't have any strong feelings one way or another about it. I don't view it as a litmus test for patriotism or anything like that.

I'm curious…why do your schools choose to say The Pledge of Allegiance instead of singing your national anthem? [our national anthem was sung every morning when I was in elementary]

I'm trying to remember your pledge from tv and such…

We're going to work on that too. Although, we'll start with "America, America" (aka Oh Beautiful).

Basically: prayer, pledge, patriotic song, Adeste Fideles.

The public schools here do it. We do not do it regularly in our homeschool although every now and then we go over it because it's one of those things everybody knows so I figure my kids should know it, too lol. ETA: Somehow, saying it every day seems a little... creepy or something. :P (I grew up saying it every day in school and never thought that, but looking back, in hindsight, I don't know....)!

:iagree: My kids know it (from Girl Scout camp), but the pledge is kind of creepy... unless you don't take it seriously, in which case it's artificial and not really a pledge at all.

In California where I taught middle school, the pledge would come on over the loudspeaker. I required my seventh graders (ESL students -- most of whom weren't actually US citizens) to stand up and be respectful, but did not require them to say it. Ironically, despite being completely opposed to the idea of a patriotic pledge, I felt I really ought to say it in class -- so that I was supportive of the school and so that students who wanted to wouldn't be saying it alone. So every day I did.

Here in a very liberal town in Oregon, public schools don't say it. One town over (much more conservative), they do.

We do not say the pledge in our homeschool. Our co-op starts with it, though (well, after the prayer). I have vaguely uncomfortable feelings about the pledge. . . I support my country and consider myself to be a patriotic American, but somehow, pledging allegiance to a country instead of directly to God (even though God is mentioned in the pledge) makes me somewhat uncomfortable. I do not object to my children saying it or not saying it at co-op and other places; I have told them that it is up to them either way.

No happiness!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty, and justice for all.

:lol: <-- at your adamant "No happiness!"

You can have the freedom and the fairness, but NO HAPPINESS! None! Not allowed! :p

Where does that link get its information? The Supreme Court decided almost 70 years ago that students cannot be required to recite the pledge.

I think our schools do. At least they did when I was teaching, but I left 14 years ago. We do not. My son learned it through various activities over the years. He says it, but stays silent while "under God" is recited. That was his decision and I support it.

Good, it's not just me! My girls say it at co-op, but it just squicks me to think of requiring it every day at home.

We do not say it at home, but my kids do say it each week at scouts so they know it well.

Dawn

What I was going to answer - we don't say it daily, but DS is a cub scout, so he had to learn it and says it at den/pack meetings throughout the month.

No. I have a religious objection to it, but I have no problem with other people who share my faith saying the pledge. (The short version is I think there will likely come a day when I have to choose between God and country, and I can't vow allegiance to my country because of it.)

I have no idea what the ps do.

It's required by the state in schools. Right now at the beginning of the school year, when the dc are on a schedule, whoever is leading opening (one of them) usually does the pledge (or sometimes The Star Spangled Banner or some other patriotic song) and a prayer. Within a few weeks, they probably will start drifting in at varying times, and we won't have any kind of formal opening, so no pledge, no group prayer.

Nance, I'm waiting for a post where I don't agree with you.

This is exactly what we do.

I do include the pledge as part of our Girl Scout meeting openings. I think part of the reason it might feel creepy to do it at home every day, is that it is sort of a public venue tradition. People don't normally say it in their homes so why would I say it in mine just because I homeschool, except to teach familiarity with it?

I don't have any issues with brainwashing nationalism, etc, or anything like that. I think I foster in my kids a realistic relationship with their nation with or without the pledge.

I LOVE MY COUNTRY!!! I am beyond thankful to live here.

But my allegiance is to God. It almost seems a bit idolatrous to do the pledge, at least in my mind. Anyhoo, allegiance, to me, means that if a choice ever had to be made I would have to take the side where I pledged my allegiance. Hopefully I won't ever have to choose between God and country, but you never know.....