Menu

So, when are we starting?

mama25angels

Well, we *tried* to start in July, but it didn't work because my neighbor got in a bind with her babysitter and asked me to care for her son until July 28th. So, we are now starting on August 1st. I do have to say that we never really stop, we just lighten the load as needed. We have been doing math, OPGTR, and handwriting, along with reading. Yes, we will jump in with both feet, I am actually working on getting everything organized this week and trying to figure out what I am going to use for workboxes. I need to order the Apologia Astronomy Junior Jurnal, but it is not out yet. Expected release is this week sometime. I will also order the Abeka math books at the homeschool conference we are going to next weekend. We still have a few pages left in the K book, so it's not a big deal. We will just start it when it arrives. Dd is excited!

We're starting in about 3 weeks-two more weeks of gymnastics camp before schools open here, and then my parents are coming to town for a week. We'll start academics then, but the dance classes, co-op and science class won't start until after Labor Day, so we effectively have a lighter schedule the first couple of weeks.

I was going to start on Monday, August 15, but now my sister and some of her family are coming, so we're going to do our first couple of days (or most of them) on August 11 and 12, then be mostly off on the 15th and 16th while they are here. We have a couple of outside classes starting on the 16th, so he'll only be doing those on that day....

We start with a bang, and seem to tend to get a lot done the first month....

We're not doing anything special the first day, LOL, but we are taking an almost immediate break, as noted above....

I still need to order some physics lab supplies, but I know what I want and I don't need them until a couple of months into school, so I'll order and receive them in good time.... Otherwise, I think I'm good....

I plan to start in August. Not sure of exact date yet though. Probably the second week.

I have what we absolutely need to start but if my husband gets a job I will be ordering several more items for the school year.

As for something special for the first day. Hmmmmm that is a good idea I shall have to consider what we should do. :)

Guest Redwood Mama

We planned to start next week, but we had a terrible week at VBS (can you believe that?!?!) So, I think we're going to wait another week or two, let the kiddos unwind from the experience they had (which confirms another reason to we homeschool).

When we do begin, I'm starting with history and science because they are my son's favorite subjects. My daughter will be starting pre-k work and she can also participate in SOTW and Elemental Science Chemistry.

We more or less go by my college calendar, but we actively unschool over the summer. This year though, I've decided to start gradually over the next month, and then the last week of August, our "official" start date should be pretty easy. Right now we're studying prehistory. I plan to do a short and light unit on South American cultures - Aztec, Inca, Maya. We're also studying nutrition. In early August, I am adding in nature studies and music appreciation. Spiral Scouts also gives us quite a lot to do. For instance, my daughter is working on a cooking badge, so she has to lean about food allergies, various world cuisines, budgeting, balanced meal planning, kitchen safety, and more.

There is still that "jumping in" feeling when we "officially" start up though, because that's when we start math, writing programs, etc. And we always celebrate our first day of school: I take back-to-school pictures of the kids, we go out for a picnic followed by ice cream at a very special little local shop, that sort of thing.

Our "first day of school" will be Aug 22 - that's the first day for the school they went to last year, and my 2nd grader in particular still wants to feel very official. I don't have much stuff at all yet, but hopefully by then I'll have enough get started.

For the first day, I think we'll do a morning meeting to go over the material and the schedule, take a look at everything, and kind of talk about what we're excited about. Then since dh is home that day, we'll either go to a special lunch or a picnic to celebrate, and then formally start the next morning.

We will start Aug. 9 (I believe their co-op starts the 8th). I have everything I need except for some snack stuff that I can't buy yet. MFW Adv. is designed to start slowly, but I intend to start the spelling & foreign language right away, not wait.

We're doing MFW Adv. too!!!

Aug. 1st with everything. We were going to continue through the summer but we've been VERY busy! August here is HOT HOT HOT so better to start school then and take a little time off in the fall. Oh yeah, and I'm having a baby in Nov. so I wanted to be a little "ahead" for when the baby comes.:001_smile:

Well, we are finishing up last year this summer and getting a head-start on math.

So, we have to finish this summer:

1.5 chapters of spelling

about 15 Daily Grams lessons

a book about Bach and CD

I just posted some prints of Ruben in the kitchen, and I have to put up Ruisdael later this summer

I am testing the boys out of the review chapters in Saxon, and then they will do a Saxon lesson twice a week until we start. They will also continue with their next Daily Grams over the summer. It's nice to have the review.

We will start on Aug 29 with just a normal day doing a full day. I like to start on a Monday.

I ordered but am awaiting for:

Apologia botany lab kit

I have to prepare:

botany lapbook pages

artist screensavers

watch some more IEW videos

I also have many summer projects to finish! ugh

Edited by nestof3

We'll start slowly throughout the month of August then go full steam after labor day. We have to much going on during this time that its not worth going full steam at the moment.

I don't have everything yet. Still have to order stuff. But I have enough at the moment to start slowly.

We start Aug 1st. I have everything we "need" but I keep finding fun extras. I need to print dds lessons for preschool and wait for a book I just ordered.

We will be doing math, grammar, reading, and spelling to start. We will add science and CC in Sept.

I worked like mad during May and June to get everything ready to start as close to July 1 as possible. I wanted to get a few weeks' worth of work in before our new baby arrived (expected the last week in July). Hahahahaha -- God had other plans.

July 1 was a Friday, and then we had a lot of great stuff going on the week after that (DH home for July 4, get-togethers with friends and our homeschool co-op -- good stuff that I didn't want to pass up, more important than "book learning"), so I decided we'd start July 11 and hopefully get in about three weeks' worth of work.

We had our first day on July 11, and it was good. I recorded the day's work, set up the workboxes for the next day, tidied the schoolroom -- and was holding a newborn before lunchtime on July 12. So we've had one day so far, but I'm thinking about easing back in to things in the next couple of weeks, hopefully to be doing all subjects by four weeks from now.

Nothing special for the first day (I'm a boring mom).

:iagree: Yay for boring Moms!

This week we did assigned chores, spelling, math, piano (at least a few minutes) and chess. Next week will be the same. Week after that I'm hoping to add in everything, but we might do 4 days/week until co-op starts.

We are going to jump in with both feet on August 22. That is the first day of Classical Conversations so it works out well. We have been doing math, phonics, and handwriting for the last 3 weeks but I will add everything else in the week of the 22nd. They also have VBS the first week in August so that will be a "break" week for us. I am looking forward to getting started.

I had planned to start on August 8 but have moved it to the 15th to give the kiddos a week to adjust that their half brother has left. I have almost everything I need...ran out of contact paper last night grrr! I only need to purchase Elementary History once it is available in printed form.

I've been thinking of doing school pictures since we're officially doing K and a preschooler now. We'll see how the rest goes...it might change still.

We start August 8, full speed. I've got everything we need. On the first day, we do a special breakfast (whatever Indy wants), take a photo and do an "All About Me" page that includes, age, grade, year, height, weight, favorite subject, favorite movie, favorite TV show, favorite game, and when I grow up I want to be.... I put the photo on it before I print it off for him to fill out and then it goes in the front of our history binder. After we finish that, we're straight in.

We started with both feet and with all the things we need on Thursday; July 21st. I liked that we started at the end of the week. It allowed the kids to have 1 full school day back but still light..and then a very low key and fun Friday..then the weekend to rest up. Back to full force school on Monday :)

We're hoping our home will sell within 6 months so we'll need atleast 3 weeks of time OFF to prep and pack here for 1 week, 3 days of driving on the road and approx. 1 week to unpack when we arrive at our new home and 1 week to slowly get back into the groove of things..so I wanted to start off a bit earlier this year so we can allot for those weeks we'll need for the move.

Oh and we didn't do anything "special" for the first day except taking it really easy.

Edited by mamaofblessings

Starting on Aug. 1 and jumping in with both feet. We're taking a 2 week vacation mid-September, so I'd like to get 6 weeks in before we leave. I still have a few more things to organize, but I have all our curriculum. Nothing special planned here either, but maybe I'll do something to start a new tradition.

We're starting August 8 so we can get in a good 4 weeks before we go on a trip to Boston after Labor Day. We usually start a little bit light and add something new every week, although I don't know that it really matters this year as we'll be leaving town just when we'll be getting into our full schedule.

The only thing I still need to buy is a Latin workbook for ds8, but I still have a LOT of planning to do including ideas to keep an 18-month-old occupied and happy every day while we attempt school. :tongue_smilie:

We are re-starting slowly in September.

Math, Reading, Bible and Phonics are the main thing. I have Story of the World and a science book but whether we delve in will depend on his attention span. I know he will enjoy fun science projects, so we could actually do a lot of that- but SOTW may need to wait another year. He's an immature 5yo (if we were doing public school, I would be holding him back) so kindergarten is mainly about creating a workable routine :)

Oh and it seems I've only managed to purchase the stuff I *might* use; I still have the major stuff sitting in my RR shopping cart.

Official start date: August 22nd. By then all my books should be in, and all scheduling and planning should be done.

I plan to start little by little. Starting with Advanced Chemistry on Monday (I haven't finished scheduling yet :willy_nilly: but I'm using an AP course syllabi on collegeboard so I just need to plug page numbers and problem sets into my paper planner). I have an online CC class going on too, so I'll have two classes going at once. I'm not sure when I'll add the next class, but hopefully it'll be before August 15th so I can adjust to the full course load on August 22nd. I'm waiting on my Lightning Literature order since I already own the first book I'll need. My other classes (History and Math) will take longer to get here.

We are starting slowly...August 22. I still have a few needed items to get plus art supplies. I hadn't thought about doing something special for our first day. I'm still getting our schedule worked out. It would be fun to surprise them with something out of the ordinary :D

We will start either August 1st or August 8th.

We'll be doing MFW K and ECC so whatever pace ECC is will be how we go. The K'er is going to be doing 2 or 3 days at a time since she is almost 6 and was "held back" for no reason other than that I listened to some bad advice. (The lady thought she was telling me the right thing but I didn't listen to my gut)

Anyways. We have swimming lessons from July 25th through August 3rd so that's why I'm not sure exactly when we are starting.

We're starting everything this Monday, July 25th. I'm hoping I remember to take a first day picture this time, but we're planning a regular day. I'm actually anticipating some interruptions this week, but decided to go forward with my plan to start because that's how our life is all the time anyway. This reminds me, I need to update the siggy.

Our official start date is going to be Aug 8.

The night before, we'll do a fun family night to get ready for school to start. A friend of mine has some fun traditions we're adopting this year.

On Aug 8th we'll take first day of school pictures, have a few special school related items as gifts and then jump right in.

Can't wait!!!

We started the second week of June but have had many interruptions.

We have kept up with math mammoth, copywork and reading for my rising 1st grader and are inching along with the opgtr with my Ker. We have also been doing sotw 1 and biology (working through an animal encyclopedia).

I hope to round out my 1st grader's LA (spelling, wwe, and fll) by the end of this month and add in music/art and Spanish by the end of august. I guess we are still slooowly getting up to speed.

We begin 8/22...full schedule....hopefully finishing up at the end of May or the first week of June.

I have all of my books...school room clean....I still need to go through my manuals and get a list of supplies and decide on longer term projects especially for my 8th and 12th graders. I really liked the idea someone posted about having all the science supplies in 36 weekly ziploc bags. I plan to do that for both science and history...right down to the glue sticks!

I took a pretty long break this year and we all really needed it. I am feeling a bit refreshed and ready to begin school again.

I am looking forward to using Heart of Dakota for the first time and a Sonlight manual again this year after many, many years of writing my own curricula. I am using Sonlight mainly as a shcedule and will be writing my own lesson plans for the books. I also bought a spine text that was recommended by someone on the SL boards, and REALLY like it! I am sorry I bought such a crummy, cheapo copy...LOL. I should have went for the more expensive one, but now I am too cheap to buy another copy...hahaha!

Faithe

August 22, the same day the public schools in our county start. My son likes to stay on roughly the same schedule as his friends. (And he's the last one who will still be homeschooling next year!) It's also the week that most of the extracurriculars get started (dance, acting, voice, choir).

For the last four years, we've had to more or less follow my daughter's college calendar, which made for very short school years. I'm actually really happy we'll be able to have a little breathing room this year.

We'll start all subjects that week, although a lot of the early lessons will be introductory. We also have a parent-student meeting the first day when we go through the pile of books and resources and talk through the plan for the year.

Normally, I really look forward to the beginning of our academic year, but I feel like we didn't get a break this summer, and I'm kind of dreading it.

We started on July 4th :) I did the yearly 'self-portrait' drawing, the yearly 'first day' pic and such. Last year, I had a 'first day of school' gift that he picked out (a new journal, some new colored pencils, etc) but this year we skipped that. He still got new things, but it wasn't 'saved' for the first day or anything.

We've had a great 3 weeks so far!! :D

Guest Rn4jchrist

August 1

Hoping to get some stuff by mail by next week, and also making a trip to the homeschool store soon.

Don't really need any school supplies, bought enough last year to last me about 3 yrs lol

Tomorrow :ohmy:

We aren't doing anything special - I hid all the curriculum/supplies as it came in and my kids will be overexcited to see it all laid out like Christmas :D

I don't have all my curriculum though :glare: I am still waiting on all my HWOT and Language Arts things. I will never order from this company again - it's been almost 8 weeks. They keep telling me it is out of stock but they are expecting a shipment by the end of the week and I'll have it by the next week - and it still hasn't turned up. I emailed them again yesterday and have yet to hear back :angry:

So I guess handwriting will take a backseat for now and I'll just focus on the reading and math.

Starting August 8, as that is when her public school friends start & she likes to have the same days off so they can play. Not doing anything special that first day other than sitting at her side all day to get her started on the right foot with everything. The big thing we are doing different this year is, she now has a desk in her room, so I want to sit with her that first day to make my initial expectations clear before I start becoming the 'assign and check' mom for some of her subjects.

I am ready, I have all my materials, lesson plans, checklists, etc. I LOVE planning this stuff :) DD is not ready for summer to end, she is having too much fun with a constant round of sleepovers, swimming, and camp (right now she's at a women's martial arts conference)! But, since we are redecorating her room entirely when we put the new desk in - new curtains, new bedding, new throw rug, paint, etc. - she IS very excited about that part! :)