Menu

So, when are we starting?

mama25angels

We just "stopped" about 3 weeks ago because I was working extra days then we went to camp for a week and since we got back I have been working extra days and getting in all the doctors appointments I need to fit in for the year.

We travel again in a couple weeks for 2 weeks and I will probably need a week to get things back in order, get the boys ready for starting public school, and finish up appointments (braces for oldest, yuck) so dd and I will start around the beginning of Sept. when the boys go back and things quiet down again.

I have everything we need and then some. I have even gotten my shelves organized and have a general plan of what we will use, at least to get started, so we are ready to go.

August 22 to coincide with Co Op. This first week will be explaining our "schedule," getting familiar with the new resources, and tweaking the schedule.

The following week we will be at the beach so technically we jump in with both feet after Labor Day.

I have all my materials except for a few extras. Nothing special for the first day.

We *did* start Monday. We did half days this week, will do full days beginning on Monday. I bought some special school supplies for the first day: Dry Erase Crayons, Transformers notebooks, new pencils.

Yes, I have pretty much everything I need.

We start August 8th. We usually go out for breakfast our first day, but I haven't actually planned that kind of stuff yet. We will begin some of our subjects the first week, but will be adding in others the next two weeks.

Maybe I'll find some new first day ideas here! :)

We'll start on Monday, August 22. We'll hit the ground running (and digging)!

Last year we started with a small-scale archeological dig in the sand box (with SOTW1). Dd got to dig up artifacts and piece them together. She LOVED it. So, this year I'm going to do the same thing, but have artifacts for each subject area for her to find: rocks for science, Latin fragments for Minimus Latin, dice/cubes for math, fake coins for history, etc. I hope the joy of discovery will transfer to each area of study.

I can't wait.

We'll be jumping into everything Aug. 1.:willy_nilly: We needed to get in a good four weeks in before taking a few off in Sept. DH works a crazy job in the summer and we don't see much of him. That'll end the last weekend in August. Then he'll have 3 weeks before school/teaching starts. We're planning a camping trip or something during that time.

I've spent a lot of time this summer creating lesson plans so I won't have much to do during the school year. The only thing I have left is to gather supplies for science experiments and history projects, organize our school supplies and learning space, and purchase the components of Math Mammoth I need (I'm waiting until the Homeschool Buyer's Co-Op sale in August).

I plan to take the boys out for breakfast on the first day of school. We'll take pictures and I'll give them some special little gifts (school supply type things) they are not expecting. We'll also discuss expectations and any new curriculum. I'm way excited to be back in Ancients! I'll be a good year!:001_smile:

We finish our current school year this Thursday! We expect to start when the local public school starts on September 7th. We have a "fun" day to start the year and then we jump in with both feet.

I wrap up the new school stuff as presents and the kids get to open them. We take first day of school pictures and do some favorite subjects.

Will you begin slowly with a few subjects or jump in with both feet?

Are we doing anything special for the first day?

Do we have everything we need to get started?

Glad you asked :)

We're starting on September 5, and with 2 hrs worth of lessons. We're going to build to 3.5- 4 hours after a few days. Dd is going to attend VPK and we're going to start much earlier, at 8:30. This will be a big change for us, as we were used to starting school at 10 or 11.

The first day of school for dd4 (Aug. 29) we're going to take her out to eat and have ice cream, and play one on one with her. At least I am :)

The first day of our homeschool, Monday September 5, I plan on taking ds out to the pool, and swimming and having fun, then ice cream afterwards. We're also going to take pictures, and catalog his developments and interests.

I don't have everything ready yet. I have almost all the curriculum materials, but certainly not done planning and organizing yet. We still have one more week before this school year ends, and afterwards we'll have 2-3 weeks off before ds8 is officially in third grade. I also need to buy timeline stickers, composition books, notebooks, and replenish school materials.

We'll start Aug 22 but take a long Labor Day Weekend. As a (former) ps kdg teacher I would start with small but real steps... did my main subjects at the scheduled time but allowed lots of wiggle room & down time if needed in between during the first week, by the 2nd week we had our schedule down. Now that I hs (2nd year) we're going to start out doing every subject on the schedule in order but let the times lax if needed; Bible, Science, Math, Lang Arts, Lunch, History. I've planned that we'll do those before lunch and leave history for after. Then Friday will be Bible, Math, Creative Writing, Art History, Music, Art Lesson, & Project Time - Science, art or whatever.

We school year-round, but I did decide to take the week the local ps starts back OFF. We'll do crafts and play outside instead. :001_tt2: Maybe sit outside eating ice cream when the school bus goes by? (jk)

We'll officially "start back" after our one week summer break right after that. :D

Today - we will start everything except Latin and Logic. We will school for 2 weeks, have a week off for a family reunion trip and then return to all subjects mid-August. We are very ready for our regular schedule to return and to have a reason to not have all of the neighbor kids over all day looking to be entertained.... PS don't start here until after Labor Day and I simply cannot wait that long because I do not like to be still working hard in June when the weather is beautiful.

Edited by iquilt
added something

We will start (for the 1st time, yay!) on Aug. 31st (or whichever day that week that my dh has to go full-time; he is a ps teacher and school starts that week). We will jump right in, but since we are doing K over 2 years, we have lots of room to slow down if we need to. We will do a fun breakfast, school pictures and an "all-about me" poster. We will be starting our art and culture/community time with making a family tree and learning about families, then throughout the year we will take one day a month to make birthday and holiday cards for our family members.

I am so excited to start and dd is excited about "school at home" too! I really think it will be good for us to have a set routine. We'll see how ds1.5 feels about routine, haha.

We are going to start Aug 1. I would prefer to start later -- DH and I were discussing this a few days ago -- but for a variety of reasons it seems as though an early start is the best option this year.

I do not have much of what I need, but I have the first few weeks mostly figured out and the relevant library books on hold. Let's hope the UPS man shows up with the rest sometime this week.

I am very much enjoying reading about everyone's first-day rituals. I have a tendency to drop the ball when it comes to that kind of thing, but the children so love a sense of occasion -- I really want to do SOMETHING to mark the first day.

Well, we're officially starting August 1 (one week from today) as I posted previously, but then we were invited to a swim party that Friday, so... I guess we'll have a short first week.:D That's what happens when you start a couple weeks earlier than everyone else. Though, that's one of the perks of homeschooling - I can take a day off when I want. Although the party doesn't start till noonish, so we'll probably get some math and history done before we go. Slave driver that I am!;)

We've been doing math over the summer, recreational reading, and Apologia Botany we started earlier this month so we could have a better chance at growing something than we would in January. :-) So we've kept it light and everyone still feels like this is summer break which is nice.

We'll start the fresh school year on Monday, September 5th with all subjects.

I haven't done anything special before but I LOVE the ideas I'm reading on here! They're wonderful! What a thoughtful way to make school a positive, special experience for our kiddos. I'm definitely taking notes and will plan some of this. I like the picture idea and going out somewhere special like ice cream. We don't do that much so that would be really special for them. We've done it on the last day of school but it never occurred to me to do it on the 1st day! Thanks!

We are starting after Labor Day, but doing a little here and there until then. I plan to start the first day of school off with a new FIAR story (Night of the Moonjellies), a new kit of school supplies for each child, and first-day pictures. Maybe we'll go to the ocean in the afternoon :)

I'm very excited for our first full year of homeschooling!