Menu

What Is Your Contribution to Society?

I've been reading about "making an impact" lately. It's not exactly encouraging me, LOL, as I don't feel I'm making an impact on anything, except perhaps this desk chair. :glare:

Of course, I am teaching three amazing daughters. Are they my contribution to society? I try to run a peaceful, orderly, warm, and loving home. Is that part of it? I try to be frugal and resourceful. I support my husband in his run-all-over-the-universe corporate career in a medical field (which truly helps people). I suppose it's all part of the package, right? I haven't done anything to contribute at church in so long, I forget what it was like to "minister" to others. I do try to encourage other mothers, especially moms with lots of little babies, because I remember what three-in-diapers was like (see that avatar up there?). I barely see our neighbors (they are never home), but I wave when I do! :seeya:

What do you feel is your "contribution to society?" At this point, I feel my chief contribution is three children who, young as they are, strongly READ and LOVE to read!

Oh, and I support our local library! Love the library. :D

:bigear:

Edited to Add: I wanted to add that as I read this question in a book, the question bothered me so much I tossed the book away. ;) So, I'm not asking to induce guilt in anybody, but rather to... well, I admit, I'm venting. LOL. I also hate that question, in a way, but then sometimes I think I'm asking it anyway. Just not out loud. So this was my "out loud." HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama

I am teaching three amazing daughters

I try to run a peaceful, orderly, warm, and loving home

I support my husband

… to "minister" to others. I do try to encourage other mothers

What do you feel is your "contribution to society?

At this point, I feel my chief contribution is three children

I support our local library! Love the library.

I think you are making huge contributions to society. Running a home is.not.easy. Raising and educating children is.not.easy. We live in a 30-minute-sitcom world where we expect to see results immediately. But in the real world, it may take years to see the result of the steps you take every day as you fulfill your responsibilities.

As for me, I also work in health care, doing pre-transfusion donar blood testing. As a Christian, I also try to practice my spiritual gift consistently.

Keep up the good work. Best Wishes.

Edited by Twigs

1. I contribute my general awesomeness :D

2. I contribute three, almost four, children to the world. Who knows what they will do!

3. I contribute an example of a home where each member feels safe, valued, and loved.

4. I contribute some good Snickerdoodles.

5. I contribute friendship to some who may not have enough.

6. And it really can't be said enough, I contribute awesomeness. And humility :lol:

Questions like this never bother me, because I feel very secure in where I am in life at this moment. I am At Home because I choose to be and because it is where I can contribute the MOST right now. Maybe later in life when the kids are out on their own I'll charge the Bastille, but until then I'll do my own thing here and enjoy it :)

2. I contribute three, almost four, children to the world. Who knows what they will do!

3. I contribute an example of a home where each member feels safe, valued, and loved.

6. And it really can't be said enough, I contribute awesomeness. And humility :lol:

Questions like this never bother me, because I feel very secure in where I am in life at this moment. I am At Home because I choose to be and because it is where I can contribute the MOST right now. Maybe later in life when the kids are out on their own I'll charge the Bastille, but until then I'll do my own thing here and enjoy it :)

:lol: AND, you made me laugh! So I agree with you about your general awesomeness. :iagree:You da best.

I struggle with this as well.

As a family we have done some things to contribute. We often help at a homeless shelter. We have done several inner city school supply drives. We do quite a bit of volunteering with the scouts and church.

We do teach classes at church.

However, I often feel that it isn't enough. I worked in the inner city for over 16 years and that is where my heart is and it kills me sometimes that I am no longer involved to the extent I was.

Yes, raising my children is important, but I want them to serve and be of service and see their parents doing the same.

Dawn

I host inner-city children in my home for a week or two in the summer through the Fresh Air Fund. Well, I only started last summer, but we are doing it again this summer and plan to continue.

I donate blood regularly (at least I did before starting to TTC and the subsequent ectopic that I'm still not quite through with- still waiting for HCG levels to drop all the way back to zero. They were at 225 last week. Went again yesterday and waiting to hear back from my dr. today with results).

We try to do some volunteer work here and there, clean up litter, recycle, etc.

And like others have said, I count my children in this. I am raising and teaching my two younger children at home.

I run a homeschool group that I hope helps other homeschoolers find info, make friends, etc. (and try to put fun and useful info on my blog as well).

That's all I can think of for now!

I get upset over what I perceive I should be doing to what I actually am doing.

But, like a pp said, I come to the realization that the best thing I can do is raise my 7 kids to be the best people they can be. To have a treasure of virtues that will serve them and society well.

Then, when that season of my life is over, I'll focus on some things I love.

As a family we help our parish food pantry, and I'm starting a Friends of the Library. That's enough for now.

One does not need to be noticed in order to be making a positive impact on society.

The topic reminds me of the Soviet persecution and murdering of Orthodox monastics, with the government alleging that they were "parasites" on society. Without the constant prayers of the monks (both male and female), the world would be suffering more than it already does. That is "making an impact."

Best answer ever!

I think my main contribution is raising these 4 kids to become productive adult members of society rather than burdens kwim.

I contribute by giving the children I care for at work a safe, loving, trusted adult to turn to no matter what, while showing them another way than what they may be seeing/hearing at home (even when they have safe, loving homes- gives them a chance to grow seeing positive differences in both environments).

I contribute through volunteer work in my community, though not as much as I would like to do.

We all make contributions to society both in good and bad ways. My hope is that the good ones I make greatly outweigh the bad ones and I don't have to find a cure for cancer, or save the world from asteroids to do that. By raising my kids to have compassion, empathy, and a strong work ethic I think I am achieving that goal. It would be easy for my oldest in particular to head down the wrong path towards illegal activity, violence etc. I think that staying home with him (and the rest) is a very important contribution while I raise him to make the right choices and stay on the "right" path. If all I do to benefit this world before I die is raise my children right, I will die a happy woman that feels I have made my mark.

My beautiful little ones :D

I plan to become a midwife when they a bit older, so that will be a biggie, I hope.

Lots of education to the adults around me on things they don't often think about, politics, health research, education laws, etc.

Aiding in dh's huge transformation to pure awesomeness :D (from thinking he was a failure in everything to pursuing a PhD)

Well, let's see. Prior to having dd I was a police officer. So I suppose I could say that I contributed to society during that season by helping keep the peace and helping to ensure the safety of the citizens of the town where I lived at the time.

I was also a firefighter - both paid and volunteer. I consider the volunteer years as contributing to society.

Now I'm raising dd to be a contributing member of society. I do the tiniest bit of volunteer work within my parish. I give my dh to the rest of the country 5 days a week so he can do his job to help ensure the safety of the citizens of the US. On any given day that he walks out the door to go to work he may not come home. (I know I'm not alone there, and not looking for anyone's sympathy.)

We give money to a few charities so they can continue to do their worthwhile work bettering society.

I'm not bragging with any of this. Just stating facts to answer the question. I think there is probably a lot, a whole lot, more I could be doing but I'm terribly lazy.

If you don't think raising children properly is making an impact, just check out the news or visit a prison... both are FULL of adults who were NOT raised properly! Raising children to be good, decent, contributing members of society makes a huge impact, IMO :)

I feel very fulfilled and even though I'm not changing the world, I do believe I'm making an impact. Here is my list... not to brag, but so that others might read it and say, "me too"... Well, you are making an impact! Thank You! :D

1. I was in the Army and during my time in, contributed a great deal to our national security.

2. I am raising my child to not only be a contributing member of society, I am raising him to be a leader of his generation. I am teaching him Latin and Chinese to be a global citizen, to be missions oriented and not ethnocentric, etc.

3. I know some might laugh at this, but... I really feel like buying locally sourced, wholesome food is contributing to the livelihood of good farmers and putting a stop to, or even just slowing down, evil corporations like Monsanto.

4. Instead of being a hermit, and family-centric, I am part of my community... I don't just GO to church, I BELONG to a church family, I talk to my neighbors, attend local functions, volunteer, etc. This may seem like no big deal.... but trust me, in this day and age, it is.

5. And just ask my husband, he'll tell you... I'm a GREAT economy stimulator! :D

Maybe I'm just feeling cranky today, but this question irritates me. (Not you, just the question. :-)

What does that really mean? Why does it matter? Are people who don't actively contribute in some way worth less? Are contributions rated by importance?

I've heard it said that when I work hard for my own good and the good of my family, I am contributing to the good of society. But what if I lived a self sustaining life of a hermit out in the woods and had no interaction with others? Would the fact that I have no negative impact on society be a contribution? Or again, would my life be worth-less? Do we have specific obligations, just being human beings?

I guess I believe that if I do my best to do no harm to others, to respect what belongs to others, and to honor my word, and teach my children to do the same, I meet my obligation. However, choosing to go above and beyond that somehow opens up new levels of consciousness in myself and others, which creates more harmony and peace in the world.

As a Christian I would say, anything that brings glory to God is a contribution. I think more things show the glory and power of God than our finite minds can comprehend, and some of the things that we think are for his glory are actually not.

That probably wasn't what you were looking for. :-}

What do you feel is your "contribution to society?" At this point, I feel my chief contribution is three children who, young as they are, strongly READ and LOVE to read!

Great question!:001_smile:

Like you, my main contribution to society is my children. Lesser but important contributions are my part-time jobs as adjunct professor (training other future therapists/social workers) and therapist. I just resigned my therapy job and will add a very part time on call position as a lay doula for women/teens who live in the dorm of an adoption agency and have made an adoption plan. That job is very low paying but it is a merging of my personal/professional skills and interest, and I am very excited.

I strive always to live my life as a servant to others, being kind and supportive to anyone I encounter. This is a contribution which anyone can make.

Rearing children is slow work, like building a cathedral one stone at a time. My professional jobs provide much more immediate satisfaction and give me an "important" title to present to the outside world, which is a perk of the jobs. I didn't have that for the seven years I was a SAHM without any professional jobs, and I did miss it. However, at the end of my life, what I want on my gravestone has nothing to do with my professional work. If all it has is my dates of birth and death, my name and "beloved mother", that is enough for me. More than enough.

Edited by texasmama

I contribute by raising my daughter with love and teaching her kindness and respect, thus breaking the cycle of abuse I grew up in.

I try to live in a way that does as little harm to the environment as possible, and I show others how to do the same if they ask.

I donate money to those less fortunate when I have it, and I try to constantly advocate for the world's poorest.

I write, and I've had a few short stories and articles published in literary journals and ezines. My stories don't have a blatant moral, but I do try to show people points of view they might not have seen before.

It's not much, but I try to make the world better and I use the gifts I was given, so I'm okay with it.

I struggle with this, too. Long ago I would have said my well-educated, well-adjusted, loving children.

Before 2 were diagnosed with autistic disorders. And many behavioral issues.

Maybe we're keeping doctors and pharmacists and therapists employed? :confused:

ETA: Sorry. Stressed-out-day posting and hopefully not what I'm thinking deep down.

Edited by BamaTanya

1. eight children that will grow to be productive members of society.

2. eight children that will take care of me in my old age rather than dump me in the system (we don't do nursing homes unless there is an extreme situation in our family).

3. I support a working person.

4. I educate my own children while paying taxes. This relieves the system.

5. I have helped care for and teach other children.

6. We offered support to our neighbours in times of need.

7. I've cared for our children so my husband can do street ministry in the past (this included his giving of supplies to the homeless and rides to shelters on the coldest nights).

8. I've worked on smaller projects that benefited a larger project that someone else worked on.

I'm sure there is more, but I at least know I'm not entirely useless.

I struggle with this. The kids are basically all I do. I feel like I should be doing more, not so much for society but God. Right now my circle is very small.

The ripple effect from a pebble falling into a pond is significantly larger than the initial impact of the pebble to the water. Your small circle can have astronomical impact. Much better to have a small circle done well than a large one that is stretched so thin it makes no impact at all. :)

What do I contribute? Well, I pay taxes. I am breaking a cycle of abuse so that my grandkids can have healthy parents. I work for an amazing hospital that is very community-focused. My name will never be in a history book, but organizations I work for and support will. They will reach farther than anything I could do as an individual.

For those of you who are struggling with this issue, I want to encourage you that we all go through seasons. In each season, we need to be "all there" and do what (I believe) God has called us to in that moment. If you are in a season where the only people you are impacting are your immediate family, be the best wife and mom you can possibly be and be content with that. You are probably impacting more than just your kids if you (or they) have friends or extended family. Also, if you are supporting someone who works, you are making an impact through that person.

Proverbs says something like, "The eyes of the fool are on the ends of the earth." I understand that to mean that a wise person is concerned with what is going on in his or her life and makes that a priority, and that it's foolish to allow ourselves to become preoccupied with things that aren't happening or may never happen.

As for me personally, I know I am making an impact on my husband and kids primarily, as well as their and my extended family and friends. Beyond that, I am in a phase of life where I can help with my church, my homeschool co-op, and DD's karate dojo. Those are the areas where I wonder if I am making a difference...but I am confident in my service to my family, which to me is more important.

One does not need to be noticed in order to be making a positive impact on society.

The topic reminds me of the Soviet persecution and murdering of Orthodox monastics, with the government alleging that they were "parasites" on society. Without the constant prayers of the monks (both male and female), the world would be suffering more than it already does. That is "making an impact."

:iagree: I so agree with this and prayer is something that you can do regardless of where you are in life.

As a sahm I hate it when someone asks me what my contribution to society is. When my grandmother was a stay at home mom in the 40s, it was widely recognized that she was making a huge contribution to society by raising children with love, respect, honesty,and so on. It had nothing to do with grand ideas or aspirations or money.

My contribution is that I am raising my children. I am teaching them values and skills that will make them better adults. I provide good nutrition. I provide shelter. I provide supervision. I do not expect any of this to be provided thru tax payer money.

Now, am I making money? No. Am I furthering my career? no. Am I starting some grand charity or foundation? no. But I am making a huge impact on society because I am making a huge impart on my children.

I guess my contributions would be my 5 children, my support of the library..I return books a few days late so I can pay the fines! I also have run a babywearing group for 4 years now and I am an admin on a mom's forum.

I really hope that my knowledge will help some other mom at some point.

But deep down inside I really, really want to do two things...be a midwife and adopt from another country. I know that these things can't happen right now but hopefully someday they will.

This is a good question. DH and I have both felt like we weren't "doing enough" at different points in our lives. We had to figure out that our family is #1, and like all of you, raising our kids to be good, kind, productive, intelligent people is really our important work.

We do other stuff, too. Since we moved here 3 years ago, we've been able to find a lot of ways to get involved in the community. I work in the ER part time, which for me is a way to serve my neighbors (well, I get paid, so it's not really service, but it's providing a vital service for my community.) DH and I coach soccer and DH is a cub scout leader. We are active in our church and do a lot of service that way. DH volunteers with our homeowners association. We donate a little every month. I think that homeschooling will count, too.

Really, though, everything we're involved in somehow benefits our family. We volunteer with things to be with our kids or to improve our neighborhood. It's kind of "family-centric" community service. Back to the idea that our family is our priority. Hopefully, though, by doing what we do we can be of some good to other people. My goal is as the kids get older, we can do more to help them learn about the good they can accomplish.

I wasn't as clear on this as I am now, but I feel very strongly that my goal is to contribute children who will love the Lord their God with all their heart, mind, soul and strength and who will love their neighbor as themselves. There is no end to what can be done for the world with them and the generations after them if that seed is planted and bears the fruit I've asked God that it bear. I recently spent time at a family reunion where 5 generations were present. I have never seen so clearly the fruit of the prayers of people for future generations.

In the practical, every day: we give to missions, give to the needy, share the Gospel, do community service, pray for others. We don't do those things every. single. day., but we do them. It contributes.

:iagree: Prayer!!! There are different people in history whose sole purpose was prayer, and the impact was extreme!! Sometimes the things that no one ever sees will be the things that have the most impact, imo.

I'm seeing two distinct and different ideas in this thread.

One: Society as a larger concept. Not your home, not your neighborhood,not your city, not your state, not your nation. I'm seeing society expressed as a global future impact.

Two: Society as interaction within your home, your neighborhood, your city, your state, your nation, global... as a future goal, the final impact.

I think the question to explore is "what is community and my place in it?"

I recommend Peter Block & David Brains books as a resource to view & reflect on that question at macro level.

I think you have to look at the big picture. It's HARD to do anything else when you have very small children. That's ALL I did when my kids were little and it was more than enough. Before kids I was a soldier, then a teacher. After having children, my contributions have come through their needs/interests. My daughter wanted to be a Daisy, so I ended up being a Girl Scout Leader for 7 years. My son has Muscular Dystrophy, so we participate in MDA events and fundraisers.

I teach family dance classes, and I like to think that helps people with their health and self-esteem . . . especially the moms and the young girls who developed and body-typed out of serious ballet.

I don't know WHAT my future holds, but I like to imagine myself as one of those active older ladies who is always involved in one charitable event or another :-)

Think of it as pacing yourself for a marathon :-)

KFP

OP, sometimes it is hard, in the everyday hum drum of life, to think that the little, seemingly insignificant things that you do in a day amount to anything. But you have small children and you are doing a great work!

There are seasons to our lives. Right now, while your children are small, the things you mentioned (taking care of your children, your husband, your home) are your ministry. Enjoy where you are at. :)

Hehe, economy stimulator here, to my husband's dismay, although I've had to downplay it the past few years.

What I love and have done ever since college is to make some sort of community website, normally for free (no subscription). I find a niche, fill it with all kinds of helpful resources. I was a web programmer so know how to manipulate and collect data and do cool things with it. First one out of college was a New Hire Network for the largest private company in the world. It was a social site and many new college grads met each other for friends and some even got married. Then it was a gaming site, 15,000 members. Then it was a parenting community but also shop. A digital photography forum for moms... And so on... Now just a homeschooling blog. I think I contribute to society, as every single day I get emails from all over the world thanking me.

I got a personality test once and it said my ideal job would be to help others in a non-profit manner. I guess that's what I do love to do, only I do it via the Internet.

if you teach 3 three children what is REALLY important (God, family, serving others vs. those who live like money, self, and status is most important) and then they grow up and raise 3-4 other children to understand what is really important...

and then all of us on these boards do the same....

How does that change our world?

I help with a community garden at my church and we try to distribute the produce to those in need. We take any food we can't distribute to God's Pantry, the food bank for our area....

I try to help out other homeschoolers in my area, especially those who are new to hsing, with information. I also try to regularly give away some materials I'm finished with, as well as selling....

I give away loads of children's clothing each year to folks who need it, as well as taking a lot of it to Goodwill. That's almost at an end, however, as my youngest will be adult size before I know it....

This brought back a comic memory. While an undergraduate, I went to the placement office (or whatever it was) and took the Kuder test. (Is that still used?) The results came back insisting strongly that I should be a computer programmer and a Catholic priest. :confused:

I got a personality test once and it said my ideal job would be to help others in a non-profit manner. I guess that's what I do love to do, only I do it via the Internet.

Guest Dulcimeramy
My contribution is that I'm not a menace to society. :tongue_smilie:

Hear, hear. Society should be thankful that some of us are being kept busy at home.

I don't feel I need to contribute anything to society beyound being a stable well-adjusted member. I am kind to those around me, I help neighbors in need, I educate myself on political issues so that I can be a responsible voter, I raise my children and run my home. I support my husband so that he can do his job, pay our taxes, we donate our time and money to charity.

I mean, I volunteer my time. I donate blood, I support our local food bank and library, I pick up the trash on the sidewalk outside my home and I keep my up our house and property, I buy local, I donate used items to children's shelters, I teach my own children good values. But I realized during a discussion (a polite, thoughtful one) that I no longer feel the need to justify how I choose to "contribute." It's enough that I am a stable, educated, involved citizen. (I'm not saying others feel that they must somehow justify themselves. That's just how I always perceived that question when I was asked in the past, and my own conclusion. :) )

Cat

if you teach 3 three children what is REALLY important (God, family, serving others vs. those who live like money, self, and status is most important) and then they grow up and raise 3-4 other children to understand what is really important...

and then all of us on these boards do the same....

How does that change our world?

Stability is important. Raising thoughtful, educated, responsible young people is a bigger contribution than we can measure. :)

Cat

Guest Dulcimeramy
And leaving open jobs for others.

I hadn't thought of that! You are right. Every family getting by on one income right now is actually helping society.

This brought back a comic memory. While an undergraduate, I went to the placement office (or whatever it was) and took the Kuder test. (Is that still used?) The results came back insisting strongly that I should be a computer programmer and a Catholic priest. :confused:

Hehe, and here I was a computer programmer and entrepreneur, also totally opposite of what I actually was. The person who administered the test knew me and was astounded, she thought it would say I should be some ambitious CEO or something.

I feel pretty good about my stay-at-home/homeschool-mom/homemaker role.

• I care for my kids in sickness or in health, so my dh doesn't have to take sick leave for my kids
  • My dh can get up and go to work without feeling all the rush if the kids had to be fed and go to a school
  • I am available to visit sick friends and cook them meals because I don't have a full time job to exhaust me
  • I am able to cook healthy meals almost every day
  • I volunteer and help other moms and Chinese students in my city
  • I maintain a peaceful and orderly home
  • I take care of my kids so dh can help students who need driving practice
  • We help our neighbors
  • I support younger homeschool moms by providing some encouragement and information

Sometimes I am tempted when I see how working women have money to buy some nice things or go on some costly vacation. Generally I can shake off such feelings and count my blessings.

Edited by aomom

One thing that I constantly remember is how much a smile can mean to someone.

I've had bad days before where people have gotten on my last nerve and I've wondered what was becoming of humanity. A genuine smile from a stranger can really turn that kind of day around.

Other than that, I don't know exactly what I contribute to society. Some people are genuinely shocked that I care so much about my education and I hope that rubs off on them in some way.