Menu

Is she serious?

I have been corresponding with someone via one of my ads on Homeschool Classifieds. She has not purchased anything from me. In the last email she asked for a phone number so I could tell her about what is included in the set. I told her what was in the set and then I directed her to the publishers website so she could see a picture and samples of what exactly am selling. What I am selling is brand new and in the exact condition you would receive it when buying from CBD or RR.

Anyway, today I get the following email from her. I am not even replying.

I apologize if it seems as though I'm questioning your integrity, but I don't know you and yesterday, in my attempts to save some money, making purchases at lower than retail prices, in almost every case, I made the mistake of not considering shipping costs. Bottom line is; I purchased many books yesterday and found out my costs, in the end were outrageously higher than if I would have just ordered everything from My Father's World, which is the company that uses books from other sources, i.e., Notgrass, just to name one, as part of their overall curriculum plan.

I was not happy with myself, so I would feel much better, in purchasing with you if I could find out as much as I can about you and the products you are selling and how you operate. That being said, I would most likely purchase from you if I could have proof that you are who you say you are, that you do actually have the products I'm wanting for sale. I would need some of the following proofs, if you are so inclined, to be able to continue transacting business with you. If you are not, we can end our relationship with this email.

The proofs I would need to gain trust with you, would be contact information, i.e., phone number that I can call and talk with you, your full name so that I can run a google search, to see if you are legitimately in this business to provide honest transactions with the public.

The very unprofessional side of me would like to say, "Look lady, feel free to buy from someone else. If my feedbacks on HS Classified aren't enough to know if I do business with integrity then, oh well."

Sure, let me give my full name and phone number. Now that I think more about it, it seems like someone is working real hard to run some sort of scam.

I have been corresponding with someone via one of my ads on Homeschool Classifieds. She has not purchased anything from me. In the last email she asked for a phone number so I could tell her about what is included in the set. I told her what was in the set and then I directed her to the publishers website so she could see a picture and samples of what exactly am selling. What I am selling is brand new and in the exact condition you would receive it when buying from CBD or RR.

The very unprofessional side of me would like to say, "Look lady, feel free to buy from someone else. If my feedbacks on HS Classified aren't enough to know if I do business with integrity then, oh well."

Sure, let me give my full name and phone number. Now that I think more about it, it seems like someone is working real hard to run some sort of scam.

:iagree: Don't reply. I too think it smells of a scam.

Yeah, right!

If I were you I'd send a brief reply basically saying what you wrote here:

"I'm sorry, but I will not give out such personal information to a complete stranger. If my feedback rating on this site is not enough to convince you that I do business with integrity, you will need to purchase from someone else. Thanks and have a nice day."

Her reason for wanting the info...accidentally paid too much for used materials when shipping was factored....does not match up with the information she is asking you for - phone and full name?

She's a total stranger too. Goes both ways. And I would tell her so. Her error in her last transaction and yes, it was HER error for not adding it up. DUH! should not invite this kind of prying into your life.

Hope you can find another buyer.

A google search? Seriously? To see if your legit? How is that going to prove your legit? You google my name and you might get my facebook page, or you might not. You certainly don't get any info on me.

I would write her off as a kook and carry on.

Humph, wants your info because she spent too much money in purchases. Whatever.

I don't think it's a scam. I just think it's someone who's not overly experienced with buying online. She is misunderstanding how it works (you ar not a business.) I wouldn't reply, but just because it sounds like she'll be a PITA to deal with. I am willing to do a bit of education (walk someone through setting up Paypal, etc.) but I don't deal with clueless.

A version of this is actually on their site as a scam.

http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com/warning.asp

I'm so glad you didn't respond!

:001_smile:

I don't think it's a scam. I just think it's someone who's not overly experienced with buying online. She is misunderstanding how it works (you ar not a business.) I wouldn't reply, but just because it sounds like she'll be a PITA to deal with. I am willing to do a bit of education (walk someone through setting up Paypal, etc.) but I don't deal with clueless.

:iagree: And I wouldn't be surprised if no matter what you do, she'll find fault with something - the shipping cost, the condition of the books, etc.

ETA: After reading coffeefreak's link I think it's very possible it's a scam.

Edited by floridamom

Does anyone else see the wonkiness in the speech pattern? [or whatever you call it when it's written out] … I smell a scam.

My thoughts exactly. Smart to just end it all now and maybe report her to homeschoolclassifieds too.

I probably wouldn't bother either, just because it all sounds too high maintenance for me, but I have to ask: What kind of scam can someone run with just a name and phone number? You can go to whitepages.com and pick any name/number combo off there, so why would this person go to all this effort on a HSing site?

Yeah, right!

"I'm sorry, but I will not give out such personal information to a complete stranger. If my feedback rating on this site is not enough to convince you that I do business with integrity, you will need to purchase from someone else. Thanks and have a nice day."

:iagree: Perfectly stated.

I would not respond. I'm not getting scammer from her, but I am getting pain to deal with and totally not worth it. People like this should only buy from a B&M store.

:iagree: When you factor your time and energy providing "proof"--and whatever other hoops she may add after speaking with you--into the transaction, you're better off dealing with a different buyer.

:lol:

That's just one of those emails where you wonder if the writer was high.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

OP: that is CRAZY!!! Tell her you'd be happy to provide that information if she will first provide a little info herself. Then ask for her height, weight and bra size. :lol::lol::lol: Just to get her going.;)

I definitely would NOT do business with her~!

Yeah, right!

Thanks everyone. I pretty much emailed her the above suggestion. I haven't heard back from her. I also thought when reading the email she would definitely be a PITA and I don't have the time or energy to waste on that. My experience with these type of people usually means I am giong to be out money or product or both.

When I post ads on craigslist, I get a response from scammers, and I string them along for several days just having fun. Oh, and I ask them a lot of questions. "Was the wallpaper always that blue or did you just put it up?" "What's in the door on the left?" "Is that your dog?" etc. etc.

With a buyer like this, I would politely explain that I won't divulge my private information unless on an as-needed basis. Personally, if I was doing business over the internet in a capacity where I felt I needed to discuss something with a customer, I would be asking for THEIR phone number and calling from a blocked number or getting a 1-800 number. You can also probably get a phone number from Google Voice now.

Good luck- I would be too worried to do any sort of business with this customer after her responses.

:thumbdown:I don't think this is about your being 'professional' or not. she's either not serious, seriously inexperienced buying anything online, or a complete and utter flake. time to move on. if she can't tell you're a dependable seller from your feedback and responses up to now, nothing will convince her. do you really want a buyer (assuming she really is on the up and up) who wants to do a background check on you and tells you about it first before she'll do business with you?

As a buyer and seller on wtm and another site, I think this is waaaaay over the top. When I first started buying books I was nervous that I'd be ripped off. I put it in perspective that I'm buying Christian materials from professing believers.

I've never had anyone ask me to "prove" myself. I do understand their concern of buying from a stranger, but then they shouldn't if they feel that uncomfortable.

Steer away from her.

Yeah, right!

:iagree: Perfect answer!

Yeah, right!

This is professional and respectful and ends it right here. I agree with this.