Menu

If you've seen The Passion of The Christ

Is it appropriate for my 7 & 8 year olds to watch? If not, is there something else you can recommend? My DD LOVES those old religious movies like the Ten Commandments, and we watched a movie about Noah the other night. She keeps asking to watch more but I'm not sure what is out there that's accurate and appropriate.

From all I've heard it's not appropriate for young children. It's a passion play and those are generally wrenching and gory. It is NOT anything like The Ten Commandments.

Instead I'd go for other big movies of the period like Ben-Hur and Cleopatra. I suspect she likes the big soap opera style of those movies.

Like many other things, this will vary from family to family, but I wouldn't allow my 8 and 10 year olds to watch this yet. I bawled like a baby and had a very hard time watching, particularly the scene where Jesus is being beaten.

ETA: Perhaps it would be best for you to watch before making a decision, even one based on the opinions of others here.

I'm probably the oddball here, but I let my 7 and 5 year old's watch it. To us, it was one thing to explain to them what Jesus went through, but when they saw it they truly understood. They weren't affected by the gore, but by the brutality in which Christ was treated. We watch it as a family every Lent. Make your own determination on how your kids would react.

Well, it's rated R for a reason. When it was originally released, I reluctantly allowed then-14yos ER to go see it with dh. 10yod EK was not allowed to go. EK is now 16, and neither she nor I have ever seen The Passion of the Christ. We own the DVD, but I cannot bring myself to watch it.

No, I wouldn't. If you want a Jesus movie, Zeferelli's Jesus of Nazareth follows the gospel pretty well, is beautifully filmed, and might be up her alley.

Ben Hur is also a wonderful movie (does have dancing girls, but it's in its proper cultural context--tho I don't know if that is really accurate historically, but anyway, it's not offensive).

Edited by Chris in VA

I won't watch Passion of the Christ. I won't let my young kids watch it for the same reason I won't let them watch slasher movies or the nightly news when the show grotesque images like Abu Ghraib. I firmly believe that you can convey the seriousness of the situation without showing your kids to that kind of visual violence. Dh is a psychologist and believes that visual information like that is damaging to children whether or not they understand the context. When 9/11 happened, we turned off the television and got our news from the paper or reliable online sources. He still occasionally runs across folks with PTSD symptoms from simply watching 9/11 material too frequently.

My vote is no.

IMO, absolutely not. My 13 yr old wanted to see it this year so her dad watched it with her (once was all I could handle). It really affected her but not in a negative way - so I'm glad we waited. Even 13 might be a tad young depending on their sensitivity level.

There was a wonderful mini-series, Jesus of Nazareth, that would be appropriate for younger children.

Would you let them watch Saving Private Ryan? It's about the same level of "real" violence, as opposed to something like Transformers that's clearly fantasy. Mine are slightly older. I'd let my 8yo but she's more mature than your average kid because of dss' autism so ymmv.

To me, this is a no way for anything less than a very mature teen. Children should be protected from visual violence and brutality, no matter how true the material is. Even as an adult, I have a hard time being philosophical about that movie; it is like watching your brother being tortured IMO.

No. I have a 7 year old and I also have my own copy of that movie. He was in the theater with me the night it came out, but he was in my belly. I was 8 months pregnant. :tongue_smilie: But that's the only way I'll be okay with him watching it until he is quite a bit older.

It's extremely violent and some parts are scary. They didn't hold anything back.

Would you let them watch Saving Private Ryan? It's about the same level of "real" violence, as opposed to something like Transformers that's clearly fantasy. Mine are slightly older. I'd let my 8yo but she's more mature than your average kid because of dss' autism so ymmv.

I don't recall thinking Saving Private Ryan was extremely violent, but I sure did about The Passion. It didn't help that I was watching the torture of someone I love, though. Ryan isn't anyone I personally loved, but watching Jesus be tortured in full detail was extremely difficult. Still, I don't recall long drawn out bloody in full detail torture scenes in Saving Private Ryan. Perhaps I am remembering wrong.

Edited by Sputterduck

I let the kids see a few scenes, but not the whole movie. My dd cried. I think it affected her in a good way, but again, she did not see all of it.

I don't recall thinking Saving Private Ryan was extremely violent, but I sure did about The Passion. I didn't help that I was watching the torture of someone I love, though. I don't know Ryan from anyone, but watching Jesus be tortured in full detail was extremely difficult. Still, I don't recall long drawn out bloody in full detail torture scenes in Saving Private Ryan. Perhaps I am remembering wrong.

I found the whole D-day scene very graphic with lots of very realistic injuries and deaths. I vividly recall someone's arm being blown off and lying on the beach. IMHO, that's as graphic as the whipping in The Passion of the Christ, but you may or may not agree.

No, and I will offer a couple of reasons in addition to the graphic violence.

It's spoken in Latin and Aramaic. Can your kids read subtitles through a feature length film? Many adults have trouble with that!

Also, this film, while debatably important, depicts much brutality of man. It shows what Christ Jesus endured physically at the hands of the guards. However, there is no film that can depict the true, most painful passion of our Lord - the weight of the sin of the world. Bearing that unimaginable burden, to atone for our transgressions, is the real work of the cross. But often we get so wrapped up in the beatings and the crucifixion that we can less than fully realize the truest burden at the cross. No piece of celluloid could ever capture that. I think this film can be a rich, challenging experience for mature believers who understand what truly happened. For those who can truly grasp what it meant for the temple veil to be split wide open at his death. Without that, well, it's just another violent movie.

If you are looking for a historical narrative, find the Jesus film, or the Jesus film for children. And I second Ben Hur. My kids loved the chariot race scenes (and yeah, they're even kind of messy).

ABSOLUTELY INAPPROPRIATE for children. We don't let them watch horror movies of any kind, nor any movies depicting torture. It doesn't matter if you think that there is some great religious message behind it, it is still a movie that shows torture and death.

Such images are simply horrifying to a child and should not be seen by them. :001_huh:

I will admit I am going to be the odd man out in this situation. My dd10 has seen it, but usually covers her eyes during the whipping scene. We have watched it as a family several times over the past few years and my ds17 and ds14 have watched it with our youth over Easter the past couple of years.

Here is a video that shows just bits of the graphic nature. My daughter just watched it and gets very solemn when she sees this video.

No, absolutely not appropriate for those ages. My 10 and 8 yo haven't seen it yet, and I don't plan on showing it to them anytime soon. Maybe when they're older teens, about to graduate, but not any time in the near future. It's simply too graphic.

I have not let my 10 YO or my 7 YO watch it (and the 10 YO has asked). It is graphic, but it isn't just that. It is the very graphic portrayal of the real events that someone I love went through for me. The emotion impact that had on me was very heavy. When I saw the movie, I was glad I watched it, but it was very, very hard to sit through and I was deeply affected.

i would want my children to have a more mature understanding of their faith and Christ's work on the cross before seeing this movie.

Like many other things, this will vary from family to family, but I wouldn't allow my 8 and 10 year olds to watch this yet. I bawled like a baby and had a very hard time watching, particularly the scene where Jesus is being beaten.

ETA: Perhaps it would be best for you to watch before making a decision, even one based on the opinions of others here.

:iagree:

A few years ago my husband's men's Bible study watched this film on DVD at our house (we have a nice surround sound/home theater set-up in the basement).

After everyone left, my husband told me there wasn't a dry eye.... it's a difficult film for grown-ups to watch.

Edited by southcarolinamom

Heck no. Mel Gibson is psychologically disturbed. The violence is sadistic and way over the top.

Bill

I agree with the bolded. But then I have never watched any other violent movie so I have no comparison. It was awful...I think I had my eyes closed the whole time. No way would I let my children watch it (ever) and I wish someone had stopped me. :glare:

I don't recall thinking Saving Private Ryan was extremely violent, but I sure did about The Passion. It didn't help that I was watching the torture of someone I love, though. Ryan isn't anyone I personally loved, but watching Jesus be tortured in full detail was extremely difficult. Still, I don't recall long drawn out bloody in full detail torture scenes in Saving Private Ryan. Perhaps I am remembering wrong.

There's a scene in Saving Private Ryan where a Nazi soldier is putting a knife through the heart of a Jewish American soldier and he is pleading for his life. I wish I could un-see that (it has disturbed me to this day) and I view it as violent.

I won't let my dds watch The Passion of the Christ. I've watched it once and cried so hard. It distrubed me and I was an adult so I can't imagine how they would feel.

I have not read all the posts, but I can tell you as an adult I had to stop and then skip over the scourging scene. I would not recommend it for children.

There is a movie that came out some years ago called "Jesus" or "The Jesus Movie" that is very good. I would suggest that.