Menu

What was your favorite childhood picture book?

I have fond memories of my Mom, brother and I snuggled in his bed as she read us Richard Scarry books, and Dennis Lee poetry (Garbage Delight, Alligator Pie). I liked to read a lot of Dr Seuss and Berenstain Bears on my own. Kinda funny as I don't enjoy either of the last two now, and neither do my boys.

Miss Suzy by Arnold Lobel. A little squirrel sets up housekeeping in a big tree and is run off by a band of ruffian red squirrels. A company of toy soldiers saves the day. I don't know why that story fascinated me so much because I'm only lukewarm when I read it now. Maybe I secretly wanted to live in the dollhouse she moves into temporarily. But I love Arnold Lobel...Mouse Tales is another favorite, although that withstood the test of time. I still love that one today.

Barb

I had an audio book (vinyl record) of Disney's The Small One. I LOVED that story so much that I hunted down a copy of it as an adult. The only problem is that I don't have a record player so we can't listen to it. I've seen newer versions of it, but it isn't they same; they've changed it a tiny bit.

ETA: The story line is about a young boy and his much beloved donkey. His father cannot afford to keep a donkey that can't carry enough to pay for his feed, and thus needs to sell the donkey. The boy asks to do it himself. They run into trouble in the city with the tanner and an auctioneer, but in the end, the boy is able to sell the donkey to a kind-hearted man named Joseph. Small One then carries Mary to Bethlehem where she gives birth to a king. The ironic thing about this story being my favorite was that I grew up in an anti-religion home, yet my dad still bought it for me when I found it at the record store and asked for it.

Edited by joannqn

Miss Suzy by Arnold Lobel. A little squirrel sets up housekeeping in a big tree and is run off by a band of ruffian red squirrels. A company of toy soldiers saves the day. I don't know why that story fascinated me so much because I'm only lukewarm when I read it now. Maybe I secretly wanted to live in the dollhouse she moves into temporarily. But I love Arnold Lobel...Mouse Tales is another favorite, although that withstood the test of time. I still love that one today.

Barb

Oh, my! I'd forgotten about that one! Thanks for the lovely memory!

Oh, my! I'd forgotten about that one! Thanks for the lovely memory!

Wow, I just checked my link and Lobel only did the illustrations. Miriam Young wrote the story.

Do you remember The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton? I loved that one then, but couldn't have told you why. Now that I'm grown I love that she just stands there on her hill and watches as the world whirls and changes around her, becoming neglected and forgotten until the decedents of the family who built her move her to another hill in the country and make her happy again. I think I was responding to the stability and permanence of the house vs how quickly life can change, even for a child. I still love old buildings...I love to imagine the families who have lived there through the years and all the changes that must have taken place on the street since the house was built. Stories told from a unique perspective have always attracted me too. How cool that the main character of the narrative was a building?

Barb

I had a set of Dandelion classic children's stories and poetry that I loved, such as Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Heidi, etc. The illustrations were lovely. They were hard-backed. My sister read them and passed them on to her children, then gave them back and I've used them with my children. The books were twinned. You read one story, then turned the book over to read the other on the other side:

http://www.amazon.com/Dandelion-Library-Alice-Wonderland-Peter/dp/B000KVOZJG

Edited by mcconnellboys

We didn't have many picture books or the like at my house when I was young for some reason. I was reading at age 3 though. Since we didn't have any other books around unless they hand-me-downs, I read my mom and grandma's old school text books. There was one called Round About that was similar to Dick and Jane that I read until it wore out. I just loved the stories and pictures. Another was a copy of the Gingerbread Man that my uncle bought for me.

Do you remember The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton? I loved that one then, but couldn't have told you why. Now that I'm grown I love that she just stands there on her hill and watches as the world whirls and changes around her, becoming neglected and forgotten until the decedents of the family who built her move her to another hill in the country and make her happy again. I think I was responding to the stability and permanence of the house vs how quickly life can change, even for a child. I still love old buildings...I love to imagine the families who have lived there through the years and all the changes that must have taken place on the street since the house was built. Stories told from a unique perspective have always attracted me too. How cool that the main character of the narrative was a building?

Barb

:iagree:

"The Little House" was my favorite too, probably for the same reasons. I still get the warm & happy inside just thinking about it. Interestingly enough, my Mom gave me a set of 4 mugs with the picture of a hilly landscape on it, but each mug shows the same landscape in a different season. The mugs remind me of The Little House.

'The Hound Dog' or something similar was my first favourite. I think I liked it because the dog drank from the water fountain at the park. :)

'Ben the Bullfinch' was my first favourite chapter book because it had been my mothers and she gave it to me for my fifth birthday. It's sitting in my cupboard at the moment waiting for next April :)

Rosie

Barb

Barb, you're not going to believe this . . . but me too!!

And just like you, I look at it now and think, meh? It's ok, but for some reason it was in my top five books as a child. Mom says I made her read it over and over and over. :confused:

Barb, you're not going to believe this . . . but me too!!

And just like you, I look at it now and think, meh? It's ok, but for some reason it was in my top five books as a child. Mom says I made her read it over and over and over. :confused:

Lynn, you're spooking me out :D

...I bet it was the dollhouse.