Menu

Do you have a favorite coffee mug? What IS it with the psychology of this?

As I sit here sipping my morning coffee, I am contemplating the psychology of favorite coffee mugs. Do you have a favorite coffee mug? I do. It's one from my collegiate alma mater. It was a gift for making a donation. It has to be at least fifteen years old. Maybe more. I would be truly sad if it were to get broken. :confused: I'm quite certain I could replace it, but it wouldn't be that mug. Again, :confused:.

Dh has two favorite coffee mugs. He uses an insulated thingie during the work week. However, he has a "Saturday" mug and a "Sunday" mug and days are NOT to be switched as to when he uses them! His Saturday mug is one with our church logo on it. His Sunday mug is one ds made for him for Father's Day ages ago at a paint your own pottery place. I can understand being attached to that one as it has sentimental value.

Does your favorite coffee mug have a story?

My favorite tea (dislike coffee) mug is bone china, which keeps tea much hotter than other materials. It's also thin, which I like... there's something about sipping tea from a thin-lipped cup that is pleasing. And it's BIG! I may drink tea, but I need my caffeine like anyone else. No tiny little tea cups for me. All that said, it was hard to find such a combination (complete with pretty floral design on the outside) and I would be heartbroken if it were damaged.

So for ME, the psychology of it is that I'm high maintenance and picky, I think. ;)

My eldest painted a mug for me yrs ago. The paint is now gone, it has a hairline crack in it, so its not used, but sits in a place of pride.

My Timmies mug Wolf got me one Christmas is a fave.

Now I use a travel mug, simply b/c I'm drinking tea as opposed to coffee, and it holds more...less mucking about with waiting for the kettle, etc.

Around here it's a constant search for mugs that have handles large enough to comfortably slip the hand through. And it's not like dh or I have gargantuan hands or anything. I'm just always :confused: at these mugs with tiny little handles. How do people hold them??

My favorite mug is one made by a hockey teammate for the womens teams' tournament a few months ago. It's tall and thin (and blue!) and has a HUGE handle. All my fingers fit through it with room to spare.

My dh's favorite mug came as a gift from me from REI. It's an insulated mug with a built-in French press as well as a compartment in the bottom for storing extra grounds. He's very particular about how it is handled and washed and NO ONE but him is allowed to use it.

Tara

I do. It's actually a snowman mug and it's the shape of it that I'm drawn to. I don't know why, but I actually feel upset inside if DH uses it before me.

We had guests and someone used by tea mug before me... I was irrationally IRATE. (Granted, there are other issues with this person...)

Around here it's a constant search for mugs that have handles large enough to comfortably slip the hand through. And it's not like dh or I have gargantuan hands or anything. I'm just always :confused: at these mugs with tiny little handles. How do people hold them??

My favorite mug is one made by a hockey teammate for the womens teams' tournament a few months ago. It's tall and thin (and blue!) and has a HUGE handle. All my fingers fit through it with room to spare.

My dh's favorite mug came as a gift from me from REI. It's an insulated mug with a built-in French press as well as a compartment in the bottom for storing extra grounds. He's very particular about how it is handled and washed and NO ONE but him is allowed to use it.

Tara

I usually slip two fingers through the handle and brace the mug with my thumb. :D

I have a favorite coffee mug but there's not much of a story behind it. Bought two matching mugs a year or so ago at Fry's; they're a pinkish ceramic on the inside and a muted, textured chocolate brown on the outside. Don't know why it's my favorite. Just is.

As for tea, I cannot stand to drink tea from a coffee cup. I will if I absolutely have to do so, but I'd really rather not. Tea is meant for savoring and drinking slowly. Coffee is meant for the "quick fix" and is okay to gulp, if necessary. At least, that's my viewpoint! :D

My favorite mug is from a Christmas collection. I don't know that I'll ever be able to replace it. I've not seen those dishes again.

On one side it says is a post mark dated Dec 5 then "Attn. Santa Clause North Pole."

On the other side it says "Dear Santa, I can explain. XO"

It is so me.

My favorite mug right now is a thin Lenox one in which I like either my coffee or tea. It says "Home is where your story begins" on it with flowers and butterflies. I don't care at all for thick mugs of which we seem to have an over abundance. I like the way my drinks taste in this thin but deep cup so much better. My daughter searched all over to find one like this and gave it to me as a gift. And I don't like it when someone else uses it!;)

My favorite mug is from a Christmas collection. I don't know that I'll ever be able to replace it. I've not seen those dishes again.

On one side it says is a post mark dated Dec 5 then "Attn. Santa Clause North Pole."

On the other side it says "Dear Santa, I can explain. XO"

It is so me.

Mine is a snowman mug. Nothing like sipping from a Christmas mug in the middle of July! :lol:

I have two favorites that I use and both are chipped. Huh. Guess I like cracked stuff. One is a ginormous Disney Pooh Bear, the other is a Polish wide mouth, the ones with blue circles? Another I use but not a fave is Tinkerbelle.

I'm not a Disney freak at all, it's just the mugs are large like we like them and when they go on sale, cheap. 99 cents. :D

Dh gave me his Grumpy mug today. :tongue_smilie:

Mine has Klimt's The Kiss on it, in a gaudy orange-yellow by now because the colors have changed over time. It was given to me by a friend long ago who knew I loved the painting.

Coffee tastes better from that mug! Plus, it it huge and feels *right* in my hands.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

My favorite mugs are free ones my DH got from a local Electrical company! I dislike that there is logo on it, but I love the shape and fell of it in my hands. If I could duplicate that mug someplace, I would hve a whole set of them.

DH favorite mugs are handmade pottery ones given to us by a friend who loves handmade pottery and owned a coffee shop. The 2 mugs were similiar, but didn't match. His had a glossy glaze on it and the one he deemed mine, was not so smooth. He LOVED his mug, I didn't love mine so much. He broke his recently and it literally ruined his weekend. I gave him mine, cuz I really don't use it that much and he is back to drinking coffee, but still misses that old mug.

Yes, now that you mention it! I always am drawn to this one because it holds just the right amount and my cream to coffee proportion is always "just right". ;)

Right now I alternate between an blue Augustana mug from ds's college book store and one with a photo of Half Dome in Yosemite from our trip there a few years back.

Previous favorite mugs, when finally unusable due to a crack or broken handle do NOT get tossed - they are lined up on the kitchen counter and hold steak knives, paring knives, whisks - any short, frequently-used kitchen tool. So I still see them every day.

Well, for the past 3 years, my favorite mug was a Halloween mug with ghosts and pumpkins. I used it almost every morning, all year round because it was just the right size/shape/etc.....

I just got a new mug at a yard sale that is from Starbucks. I remember I liked it when I saw it in the store, but for $15 I was content with my Halloween mug! But the yard sale was selling the same mug for $1. It is my new favorite mug.

Dawn

I use an insulated mug, but my DH uses a gigantic mug that we picked up from a Hard Rock Cafe in San Antonio. Nobody else dares touch it, and it is ONLY used for coffee.

I'm also territorial about what I call my hot cocoa and hot tea mugs. They all feature cats in some form or other (except for one snowman mug that DS uses and one Santa mug that DD uses), and I'm a tad possessive. :D

I'll use other mugs if I'm (a few days) behind on dishes, but I have a pair of lighthouse mugs that I love. They are about the same diameter as a regular mug, but they're taller. They're slightly thicker than a regular mug too. During the winter they keep my coffee hot long enough for me to drink it. I have other mugs that hold as much but they're wider and they cool too quickly. The regular mugs cool too quickly too. I also like the larger size because I don't need to refill it as often.

I have a definite preference for my mugs. I'll use both of my lighthouse mugs, then either of the big Jiminy Cricket mugs, then my Amish Country mug, then my flag mugs, and if I've littered mugs all over the house without washing them and have no possible alternative, I'll use the dinky little Christmas mugs that hold an old-fashioned portion of coffee or tea. By the time I get to those ones, I know I better scour the house and find all of my mugs. "Oh look! How did I end up with a coffee mug on top of the shower? Hey, there's one on the children's bookshelf too." I also always have a forgotten coffee mug in the microwave that I reheated without drinking. My husband teases me because he can't open it to cook something without taking out one of my mugs. Hmmm...I probably ought to track down some of my mugs this afternoon.

I had a favorite mug. My mom gave it to me before she died and it had a frog handle because I collect frogs. My DSS broke it and I literally broke down crying. I felt bad later becuase I really upset him but I just couldn't help it. Now I use my backup one from my mom, it has a girl on it with her big booty actually sticking off the mug. (I think she was trying to tell me something :lol:) Yeah, NO ONE else is allowed to use it and it has to be hand washed!

My Timmies mug Wolf got me one Christmas is a fave.

I don't have a particular favorite now, but I lugged my ugly plastic Timmies mug through three years of law school. It was enormous (the lady who sold me my morning tea called it "the cistern") and had a wobbly lid and occasionally dribbled. It went to every class with me.

On our last day of class one semester, our Secured Transactions professor finished his lecture then came over to my desk, picked up my mug, inspected it for a few moments, and said, "OK, I've been wondering this since January. Who or what is Tim Horton?"

As I sit here sipping my morning coffee, I am contemplating the psychology of favorite coffee mugs. Do you have a favorite coffee mug? I do. It's one from my collegiate alma mater. It was a gift for making a donation. It has to be at least fifteen years old. Maybe more. I would be truly sad if it were to get broken. :confused: I'm quite certain I could replace it, but it wouldn't be that mug. Again, :confused:.

Dh has two favorite coffee mugs. He uses an insulated thingie during the work week. However, he has a "Saturday" mug and a "Sunday" mug and days are NOT to be switched as to when he uses them! His Saturday mug is one with our church logo on it. His Sunday mug is one ds made for him for Father's Day ages ago at a paint your own pottery place. I can understand being attached to that one as it has sentimental value.

Does your favorite coffee mug have a story?

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I like tea.

Specifically, tea out of a paper cup. It just doesn't seem to taste the same, to me, from a ceramic mug. Can't explain the psychology of it LOL.

Fortunately I stay very often at hotels, and am able to have a steady sourced supply of paper cups (which I re-use anyhow over a few days). I use these even at home, as long as I have one on hand.

My default mug a very thin porcelain mug with a very thin rim. I think that's the attraction, now that I think about it. It's gaudy and garish, and it has to be handwashed (boo! hiss!) but the tea tastes fine flowing from it :D.

I have several. They are all handmade by myself or other potters. I cannot stand drinking out of store bought mugs. I am a mug snob and I freely admit it! :D

Do you sell mugs? I love one-of-a-kind mugs!

When I was a summer worker for a church in VT, I *really* wanted something from Bennington Pottery, but couldn't justify spending the money. When I left, the pastor and his wife gave me 2 that I adore. There are no two that are alike, they're the perfect fit for my hands, and they remind me of a wonderful summer and special people. I knew my older dd was growing up when she started using my Bennington Pottery. I knew I was growing up when I didn't yell, "What are you doing?!":D

My other favorite mug is one the dc painted at the pottery store.

Yes!! It is a huge insulated plastic mug and it is so old that the picture has worn off. I use it every morning, and it is mine. I'm very possessive of it. :lol:

ETA:

This mug came from our family donut shop (Honey Dew Donuts - for any New Englander's) and it is the big size with a handle, which is no longer made. The cup is at least 20 years old, as I can remember drinking soda out of it when I was 10 or so.

Edited by JessReplanted

My coffee mug is perfect. It's a tactile delight (matte finish, lots of nubblies) and just big enough to wrap my hands around to warm on cold mornings (apparently 10 months of the year here now). It holds about 11oz, so no I can keep myself to one cup a day without feeling cheated. Not a chip or crack even though it's about 8 years old. *sigh* The girls call it my "naked-dancing-people mug." I call it lovely.

5797677350_2bc33cc402.jpg

2011-06-04-11-38-34-467.jpg by

I have a favorite coffee cup, but I think my reasons for it being my favorite are different than other people's reasons.

I like the shape of my cup, it holds just the right amount of coffee for me, the feel of it in my hand, and the weight of it. Granted it is in a color I like, but it's my favorite because of the feel of the cup.

When I need a new cup I have to shop around handling various cups. This one's too tall. This one's too narrow. The handle doesn't feel right in my hand. It's almost like buying shoes.

I had a favorite mug, and it was 8 - 10 years old. It developed a fine crack two months ago and started leaking. Sigh. I used it constantly, and no one else ever used it. It was china, with Monet's Water Lilies printed on it. The lip was thin and felt right when I drank, and the handle was big enough to hold, but not too thick, and the mug was tall and tapered, so it held a lot and looked pretty, too. It was very pretty, and I felt good when using it.

I haven't found a new mug yet that I like as much as that one, and the store where I bought it is out of business.

Somewhere out there is a mug that will become my new favorite. I just have to find it.

I do! I use the same mug every morning. It is an oversized pink mug from Starbucks. It was a gift from a girlfriend of mine. I love this mug and every morning I think of her - because we now live 2000 miles apart. I have had nightmares about it being broken. I will be heartbroken if it happens. My DH and kids think I am crazy because none of them are allowed to touch or use it. I don't understand my attachment to it, honestly. I like it because it holds more than the average mug and I can wrap my hands around it just right.

Dora the Explorer. Honestly. :tongue_smilie:

Dd13 loved that show when she was really young. We watched it together. One day several years ago, I mentioned she should watch it with me again as a walk down memory lane, and that sparked an ongoing family joke. The more I joked, the more I realized how much I really did like that show because it represented an age of my child that I truly enjoyed. At Christmas, my oldest dd had my DH help her search online for a Dora mug as a gift. She has always given me the most thoughtful gifts, really focusing on something I love. I was so ecstatic with the gift, that she would go out of her way and spend her own money to buy me that mug, that I started using it every day. I would be so sad if that mug broke.

I've had a few favorites over the years. My current favorite has a soothing blue color and a neat saying:

1. Sit

2. Sip

3. Read

4. Relax

5. Repeat

I also love it for its curved shape. I like it so much, I was thinking of taking a picture of it for my avatar...:D

The only coffee mugs I will drink from are like these, without the McDonald's logo and lids. Not that it matters, b/c the logos are washed off by the dishwasher. I have to hunt for them on eBay because they are not manufactured any more. They are made by Whirley Industries. I only have 2 of them at this time. They are plastic and they don't keep the coffee hot very long. I have no idea why I love them. I tried to change to pottery mugs -- but no.

Edited by RoughCollie

And, it is reassuring to know that I am not the only one who is territorial about my mug! Dh is NOT allowed to use it at all. I tell him he is "not worthy." :D

But, that's really my question: why are we like this with our coffee mugs? And, are we like this with other possessions? I really don't think I am this way with anything else. Too funny.

And, it is reassuring to know that I am not the only one who is territorial about my mug! Dh is NOT allowed to use it at all. I tell him he is "not worthy." :D

But, that's really my question: why are we like this with our coffee mugs? And, are we like this with other possessions? I really don't think I am this way with anything else. Too funny.

I don't know. I am not sentimental about things at all. One day I realized how old this mug was and was surprised that I still had it. I only have one other thing from when I was really young(my DS rocks my '80s leather bomber jacket:tongue_smilie:) I'm afraid that the more precious it becomes the likelier it is to be broken.

But, that's really my question: why are we like this with our coffee mugs? And, are we like this with other possessions? I really don't think I am this way with anything else.

Good question. I'm not that way about wine glasses or tea cups or anything else I drink from. My coffee makes me feel good, it's mildly addictive, so I suppose I feel protective and attached to theobject most associated with coffee delivery first thing in the morning.

(I was typing about not minding drinking out of a different tea cup if my favorite cup isn't clean...that just doesn't sound right on this board. ;) )

Cat