Menu

Opinions wanted: Dogs allowed in rental house?

We have a rental that we are renting out today. We paid $2500 to have the original hardwood floors redone (3bdr, hall, living room). They are gorgeous! The previous renters did put 2 long superficial scratches in the living room floor, but we'll eventually have those buffed out. We've always said no indoor pets at that house.

The people we are renting to today are "ok" with having their dogs outside, but they are a bit reluctant to have their search and rescue dog outside for fear that it will be stolen. They've put quite a bit of money into training it.

I'm totally fine with giving them the option of putting it inside in a crate on the kitchen tile (slider leads to backyard) if they prefer that, but I'm hesitant about "giving an inch." I'm thinking they are responsible pet owners and we can trust them not to let the dog run around on the wood. We have mutual acquaintances that have vouched for them

There is also a "shop" on the property that we would be fine with them putting a doggie door on into the back yard. That still needs to be emptied from the previous owners, but it is an option.

What do you think? BTW, we are charging a $1500 deposit already in addition to the first/last month's rent.

ETA: We bought the place with the intention of flipping, but then the market tanked so we've been renting it out. We hope if the market recovers, we can sell it in the next few years.

Edited by HomeOnTheRanch
more info

Honestly?

If you say indoor pets are okay, then they should be okay.

Otherwise, I think you should just say no.

I'd be really annoyed to have my landlord say indoor pets were okay, but only if I keep them off the wood floors. It's a dog. It is going to walk about. If it is a S&R dog, it should not be spending much time in a crate or outside. It should be spending the majority of its time living with the owners inside when they are home. These dogs have a very depressing and hard job that necessitates lots of extra TLC when they are off the clock.

Well, my real instinct is to say "yes" if they have money to have their dogs nails trimmed every three/four weeks,(whatever is recommended to keep them really short... ) or if they are REALLY diligent to do the nails themselves. I would prefer well kept animals, to kids... any day! Kids can do serious damage inside, and you kinda have to let them in.... What I would ask is that if they aren't going to be home... more than say enough time to go get the mail, that they kennel them. That's when it seems naughty dogs get busy :)

We have two rental houses, one older and refinished, one new 4 years old). Both have hardwood floors. Both are rented to families with dogs; one family has two large dogs.

We wanted renters; we welcomed their pets (reluctantly, but that was what we were willing to do). We have damage deposits, although based on much of what I've read here, it wouldn't be sufficient if they damaged the property.

I can't expect others to take care of my things the same way that I would. I see other people's homes, and they don't take care of their own things in the same way that I would.

I would not expect a renter with dogs to really honor any policy that excluded their dogs from the home. I think it's unrealistic; and I don't particularly believe it's in the best interest of the dog.

ETA: I have a 10 year 55 lb. dog who is inside 95% of the time. We've always had hardwood floors, and the dog has never been allowed into the bedrooms (some of which have been carpeted, depending on the house). Our dog has NEVER damaged the flooring. He rarely gets his nails trimmed. He does not run around the house, although he can get exciting and race around a bit when being fed or if he thinks he's going on a walk.

If I were adamant about no pets, I would not rent to someone with pets.

Edited by Kristine out of lurking

Honestly?

If you say indoor pets are okay, then they should be okay.

Otherwise, I think you should just say no.

I agree. If yes, charge an additional non-refundable pet deposit. I would really resent paying a fee to have a pet inside and being told where it could and couldn't go, and how often I have to trim its nails. If you're nervous it might scratch the floor, make sure you are charging enough (pet deposit + regular deposit) to cover yourself for refinishing the floor.

Finding a rental that takes big dogs can be hard. We always rented houses vs. apartments because of that. However, I would never rent somewhere that says no indoor pets allowed. I can't imagine not allowing my pets the ability to roam the house.

Unless I was desperate I would not have rented from you because of the new floors. I wouldn't want the responsibility to ensure brand new floors were kept up to your specs.

We just redid our hardwood floors, they are gorgeous and dark. Our dog stayed at my parents for a few days afterward, but now she has the run of the house, no issues so far.

IMO it's hard to dictate what people are allowed to do with their pets after they move in. If you are uncomfortable with it, I wouldn't rent to them.

We rent our condo and we have rented houses in the past. For us, we accepted that pets cause normal wear and tear. That's why you charge rent - some of that goes into repairing wear and tear.

But my kids have ALWAYS caused way more wear and tear to a house than my pets.

The dogs don't claw my wood floors. But DD pounded a toy on it last year and I've got the holes to prove it. :D

I don't think confining any dog to a crate/outside is humane so I would prefer my renters not do that. Especially a S&R dog! That dog should live the life of luxury when he/she's not on duty as far as I'm concerned.

Wood floor are gorgeous but if you have kids, reckless DHs, cats who gack every once in awhile, etc. etc., you just have to accept that they are going to need to be redone every once in awhile. And carpet gets replaced too. Tiles break and/or grout falls apart. It's just a part of life.

Jen

Also wanted to add that people often do more damage to floors than animals. We've scratched up our wood floors a few times with chairs dragging on them (the rubber tips had come off). dropping something heavy and causing a huge dent, etc. If they are willing to come up with all of this money upfront, I would rest assured that they would take care of any damage if it did occur. We have a great relationship with our landlord, and often fix things that we don't need to, because of it.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't live there if I were single. I'd be afraid to wreck the floors all the time. It's not fun to walk on eggshells in your own "home".

As a pet owner, there's no way I would rent from you with these kinds of conditions. If I'm paying the rent and have paid a huge pet deposit (I've never heard of one as high as $1500), my dogs should be allowed anywhere in the house. We have 3 dogs and hardwood floors. Their nails aren't hard enough to scratch them. My mom has 2 dogs and gorgeous hardwood floors that don't have a scratch on them. They're dogs, not jack hammers. If you don't want to rent to someone with dogs, just say no pets. If they are paying their rent though and have put down a deposit, I don't think you should be allowed to dictate where the dog is allowed in the house.

Well, I'd be swayed by the fact that it's a search and rescue dog:). He's a little hero and deserves to roam freely:)

In all seriousness, I think pets should be a black or white area.....no room for gray. So, you accept pets (and accept that most people treat them like family and don't cage them up) or you simply say no.

My daughter did more damage (writing on the walls) then my two dogs did (90 pounds and 50 pounds) to our rental house.

I think you need to either allow dogs or don't allow dogs.

Can you put inexpensive carpet over the wood floors while the house is being rented?

In my neck of the woods it is extremely difficult to find a place that will allow dogs of any size (large dogs is nearly impossible).

I forget to mention that I have wood floors throughout my house. They look pretty much brand new after 10 years of kids and dogs.

A search and rescue dog is not going to be a dog that disobeys, and pees on floors. Also any owner of a S & R dog will not let their nails get long. HW floors will eventually be damaged, if they were done well... you shouldn't notice in a long time. Besides, the people know you're uptight about it.

With a big S & R dog, you will almost ensure that the house will NEVER be messed with by vandals or robbers.

Go for it.

I would definitely allow a search and rescue dog to roam around the house (including on the hardwood floors). Given the amount of time and money they have put into the dog I would imagine they are very conscientious dog owners and will keep the animals nails cut and crate it when they are out of the house.

If its a rental, you have to roll w/the punches, if they are good candidates, go for it.

Closing the door on everyone w/pets limits possibilities.

:iagree:

A highly trained dog provides some indication that the potential renters are responsible and goal-oriented. I'm inclined to think they're likely to be more responsible in general than a lot of potential renters. A toddler or a single wild drunken party could easily cause more damage than a well-trained animal.

If you want to be sure to keep the house in immediate show-worthy condition, don't rent.

We have a rental that we are renting out today. We paid $2500 to have the original hardwood floors redone (3bdr, hall, living room). They are gorgeous! The previous renters did put 2 long superficial scratches in the living room floor, but we'll eventually have those buffed out. We've always said no indoor pets at that house.

The people we are renting to today are "ok" with having their dogs outside, but they are a bit reluctant to have their search and rescue dog outside for fear that it will be stolen. They've put quite a bit of money into training it.

I'm totally fine with giving them the option of putting it inside in a crate on the kitchen tile (slider leads to backyard) if they prefer that, but I'm hesitant about "giving an inch." I'm thinking they are responsible pet owners and we can trust them not to let the dog run around on the wood. We have mutual acquaintances that have vouched for them

There is also a "shop" on the property that we would be fine with them putting a doggie door on into the back yard. That still needs to be emptied from the previous owners, but it is an option.

What do you think? BTW, we are charging a $1500 deposit already in addition to the first/last month's rent.

ETA: We bought the place with the intention of flipping, but then the market tanked so we've been renting it out. We hope if the market recovers, we can sell it in the next few years.

It sounds like this animal needs to be inside. I would ask them if they had any plans to get a puppy though. Puppies are usually bad news for houses.

Ours is currently trying to eat my pretty trim work that I worked so hard to finally get done last year. :glare:

As renters, why don't they just cover as much as possible of the floors with carpet remnants? I know people who did that and it minimized the damage from their dog.

It's more comfy for the dog too. Both of ours get quite a bit of fuzz between their toes making bare floors pretty slick for them.

It sounds like this animal needs to be inside. I would ask them if they had any plans to get a puppy though. Puppies are usually bad news for houses.

Ours is currently trying to eat my pretty trim work that I worked so hard to finally get done last year. :glare:

The previous owners of our house bred little dogs. There's way more damage to the house from them than from our big heavy dogs - chewed walls and things like that.

Big Dogs can do big damage. My parents rented to one family that had 'special' dogs that were only giong to be allowed in the crate. It didn't happen. They were left alone for long periods and scratched every door, window, and floor until they had to be repaired and replaced. Yeah, wear and tear happens but the next renter will want a house that looks fantastic as well - or at least the renters that will want to take care of it.

Our beloved well behaved dog once dug up the entire backyard when we were gone for a week and our neighbors were caring for her. Our landlord was not happy understandably. We did pay extra to have the lawn relandscaped and boarded her the next trip instead.

I think the $1500 is a reasonable fee however. My parents still rent to dog owners but at an additional $100 a month. It is not refundable and the folks that are good owners seem willingly to pay that and do a good job of caring for the dogs and the house.

You also need to check with your insurance agent though. Even though it is rental property there may be restrictions on animals in your policy.

The previous owners of our house bred little dogs. There's way more damage to the house from them than from our big heavy dogs - chewed walls and things like that.

I'm hopeful that puppy's chewing phase is short lived. He's a German Shepherd and if this continues, I'll have a lot of repair work to do. :glare:

Our husky liked drywall as a puppy also. We were adding on at the time, and I just figured it was because it was exposed.

This one seems to be smitten with wood. He's chewed the wooden knob off ds's dresser, and has left his mark on the loft bed as well (Good thing it's not the new one...).

There will be no new wooden furniture in this house for a while.:tongue_smilie:

We have a rental with hardwood floors. No cats allowed. Dogs require a deposit of an extra $1000 per dog over the damage deposit. We did this on recommendation of another landlord who had similar issues. Responsible pet owners will take good care of the animals and the house. People who don't care if your floors get trashed will be deterred by the deposit amount. This way you have some leeway to make an allowance if you feel it's warranted. And, if they do trash the floors, you've got enough deposit to cover the damage.

Edited by Audrey

I'm quite sure my opinion is going to go over like a lead balloon to the pro-pet responders, but I'm speaking as one who has been in the rental home business for many years.

You've already given a dangerous set of inches to these people.

I can tell they gave you the bleeding heart --- weve-put-alot-of-money-into-little-Stanley-and-we're-concerned-he'll-get-stolen, yadayadayada

Under NO circumstances would Fifi be allowed in that home, especially with refinished hardwood floors out of which YOU CANNOT retract urine stench. It is the RARE person who will keep their word on pets as the VAST majority of pet owners see their dogs in an almost human capacity and, esp if it's a prized dog as this one is ---- "Fifi's lonely...she's wimpering in there....we'll just put a blanket here on the couch and make her stay here....I'll just run potty during this commercial....'Now, Fifi, you stay here now, ok.......(as Fifi hops down and hikes his leg on your walls and floors....and THEY WILL inevitably do this neutered or not.").

Not only would I have told them up front that the $1500 deposit is required up front for the dog who ISN'T ALLOWED IN MY HOME NO MATTER WHAT. But, I'd have also required a potentially refundable damage deposit that would be contingent on my final walk through of the place and I have let them know up front that I was walking through the place with my pee-detector-fluourescent-light (Petsmart) so I could make a note of how things look before they move in and that I'd be doing it again when they vacated and that if I saw ANY urine on my walls or floors, that I'd utilize that (CASH) damage deposit.

Always remember that THIS IS YOUR HOME which you are allowing them to reside in. It's your rules, no apologies. Home ownership comes with lot of privileges such as making your own rules.

I'd NEVER have given her the option of the dog in the crate as you'd have better luck finding a three-legged ballerina than her not letting Wendall out of there on especially "cold nights" "stormy nights when he's terrified", etc.

We were burned WAY to many times and should've quit with the pets YEARS ago.

Is she liable when little Stanley bites someone? Nope.

I'd think nothing of calling her and in a nice way saying, "You know, I've really been bothered by my changing my policy and allowing your dog in the crate inside, because even though you've gotten a great character reference and I trust you, I really can't start a policy that I can't allow for all tenants in the future, so ....."

You'd be really generous with the doggie door in the outbuilding, but I'd spring for this with this one tenant LONG before I'd allow the crate.

Oh...and back to my fluorescent light....this also helps them be responsible with their company bringing THEIR pets over. They'll be more likely to keep company/visitors/relatives from bringing Mimi over if they know that if Mimi sprays the once, then THEY are out the damage deposit.

This will sound harsh and cruel to people, but, even despite my being HIGHLY selective about the character references of those to whom we rent, we have been burned (by tenants taking advantage and tearing up things) in the VAST majority of cases.

This is YOUR home and you have to do what you need to protect this asset (esp with hardwood floors).

Good luck.

We had a rental property rears ago.. A dog destroyed the wooden base boards and window sills. Have a good non-refundable deposit. I think dogs are much harder on a property than kids!

The vast majority of dogs are bored, untrained & WAY under exercised. They are destructive as they're going insane locked up in a house with nothing to do.

Most people with pets are NOT good candidates for renting your house if you care about it's condition.

This does not sound like one of those situations as a search and rescue dog has a job to do (hopefully eliminating the boredom factor).

We have two rental houses, one older and refinished, one new 4 years old). Both have hardwood floors. Both are rented to families with dogs; one family has two large dogs.

We wanted renters; we welcomed their pets (reluctantly, but that was what we were willing to do). We have damage deposits, although based on much of what I've read here, it wouldn't be sufficient if they damaged the property.

I can't expect others to take care of my things the same way that I would. I see other people's homes, and they don't take care of their own things in the same way that I would.

I would not expect a renter with dogs to really honor any policy that excluded their dogs from the home. I think it's unrealistic; and I don't particularly believe it's in the best interest of the dog.

ETA: I have a 10 year 55 lb. dog who is inside 95% of the time. We've always had hardwood floors, and the dog has never been allowed into the bedrooms (some of which have been carpeted, depending on the house). Our dog has NEVER damaged the flooring. He rarely gets his nails trimmed. He does not run around the house, although he can get exciting and race around a bit when being fed or if he thinks he's going on a walk.

If I were adamant about no pets, I would not rent to someone with pets.

(Our dog "with indoor privileges" has made my living room smell like a dog.....and I've gone through extreme links to prevent it in his 10 years+, but even despite my best intentions and diligence, a dog is a dog).

I had to find a rental on pretty short notice. They did not allow indoor pets. We had to give our very laid back, mature dog to some friends. Now, that I am more familiar with the area we will probably be looking for a different rental. I do not feel safe without a dog inside. It is a bit unfortunate because we like the house and the area. Pay our rent on time, and take very good care of the home.

Why dogs but no cats? Is it the peeing thing?

Yes. Exactly.

I adore cats. I have 2 in our house and several dear barn kitties. I truly love them, but... too many people do not tend their cats properly and the cats pee everywhere. Old or ill cats will pee in secret places, too -- which is no fault of a good owner, but still a reality. It is soooooo hard to remove that odor. Even if you can find the spots, you have to remove any carpeting. If it has penetrated the wood or soiled drywall or plaster, you have to remove that as well. We decided that it wasn't worth it for the rental house. We had to draw a line somewhere. Unfortunately, it was the cats who had to take the hit. :sad:

The situation is what it is. You don't accept indoor pets, and no matter how well-trained the animal is, in the end it's your floors.

If it were me, I would have politely declined to accept them as renters, because dogs don't just tear up houses, they tear up yards as well (can you tell I'm not a dog-lover?).

This is a really tough spot to be in. I"m a pet lover, and have well behaved pets. We are home all day long, our dog has passed all the puppy classes and even became a Canine Good Citizen... yet, he still is a dog and a young one at that... he has damaged things around the property. He marks the bushes, and thus they are dying (no more free roaming out back yard) we planted 10K sq ft of sod, and half is dog spotted up and need to be replaced already.. it makes me sick thinking about all that money down the drain. He chewed our newly planted fruit tress to stumps... He scratched the door to get back into the house after going potty, and now our doors and frames need to be repaired.

I know dogs can cause damage to things.. but I own my house and it's me who pays for the damages to my property. I hate paying to fix things.. but essentially it's my fault for bringing in an animal and not watching him 100% of the time he's outside.

I just dont think I could rent a house to people with dogs, even a S&R dog. I have friends with S&R dogs.. and they are heros while working yes, but still dogs at home.. who can dig up the yard, and ruin your grass.

What if something happens to this S&R dog of theirs? Will they want to replace him with a new puppy to train?

It's a hard position to be in as a rental owner.

We rent our condo and we have rented houses in the past. For us, we accepted that pets cause normal wear and tear. That's why you charge rent - some of that goes into repairing wear and tear.

But my kids have ALWAYS caused way more wear and tear to a house than my pets.

The dogs don't claw my wood floors. But DD pounded a toy on it last year and I've got the holes to prove it. :D

I don't think confining any dog to a crate/outside is humane so I would prefer my renters not do that. Especially a S&R dog! That dog should live the life of luxury when he/she's not on duty as far as I'm concerned.

Wood floor are gorgeous but if you have kids, reckless DHs, cats who gack every once in awhile, etc. etc., you just have to accept that they are going to need to be redone every once in awhile. And carpet gets replaced too. Tiles break and/or grout falls apart. It's just a part of life.

Jen

:iagree: I have avoided getting a family dog because I don't want to have to deal with the landlords' issues or cut our possibilities on where to rent down. We have managed to get people to accept our cat though (we got him at the last place we rented because of the mice, but he has become family).

I have wood floors and my calm dog does not scratch them at all by just walking around. I also have 3 cats - one was declawed before I got him...the others wear soft paws. I even have leather furniture and they don't scratch it. Pets can be trained and taken care of such that they do not harm the home.

Edited by Tree House Academy

If they're responsible renters, I'd allow all their dogs inside without restriction, but let them know that their deposit will be used if there's damage to hardwood floors. If you don't plan on trying to sell for a few years, I would just continue to rent it this way, and plan on having the floors touched up before putting it on the market. You'll have happy renters instead of ones who are missing their dogs or fretting over them getting beyond the kitchen tile.

Its a search and rescue dog.

I'd make the exception, if for no other reason than that. Heaven knows if my family or loved ones needed their team, I'd be grateful as heck to have them come out...making an exception for rental seems like a very small thing to do, esp considering the deposit also being in place.

We rent on hardwood floors. Our dog has been trained to be in the house on a 5x7 rug on the floor. He doesn't move from that location. Ever.

He was an outdoor dog before this but the massive amounts of rain here, we felt horribly sorry for him. We had to pay an additional pet deposit for him.

If our dog can be trained to do this and to stay off the floors I would think a search and rescue dog certainly could. That said, you'd have to trust that these people would obey the rules as you've specified. And you might really want to consider an "interim" visit in about 3-6 months to make sure - planned, but you could at least tell if a dog's nails were ruining the floors.

Usually unless the person is a hoarder or the amount of animals is out of their caring level, this would not cause that much problem to hardwood floors.

Children, however, are scarier than animals IMO to rent to. And I have 3 young -uns myself so know what I am talking about. I have 3 young children, two dogs & two cats. The children do way more damage than the dogs. and DH too ROFL :lol:

In any house where there is new something or other, I would take more care with that in the conditions of the lease. I am not sureo f the rules in the US, but we have an additional conditions page. I would add something in to the degree that any damage to the floors will be recitified fully by the tenant, either as its happens or before the tenant leaves the property, to be extra careful, I would say at the 3/6monthly inspections, to make sure the floors are fully inspected, any carpet/rugs/furniture moved, to make sure they have not "covered" up marks, and after each inspection, a letter written to the tenant to rectify any damage to the floors, and that the floor damage must be rectified within 30 days or something to that effect, then a quick inspection after those 30 days or a copy of receipt to prove work was done.

FWIW even though we may cause some damage to property (as expected with 3 kids) any damage we have caused at all is either fixed as it happens, or completely fixed and updated as we move out. We usually do mini renovations as the lease goes along, and stuff like repainting and re-carpeting when we move out, so any places we rent are in tip top condition when we move, better than when we moved in. I am aware that a lot of tenants aren't like that though, esp since I use to work in RE, and we have had a lot of agents be rude to us thinking we are going to flee or something else stupid, but we are honest hardworking people, with nary a mark against us, and there attitudes have always changed once we moved out and the place is sparkling, a pty they couldn't have been nicer to use whilst we lived there. :tongue_smilie:Everyone is suspicious, usually with good reason considering most agents only remember the bad tenants and look for any similar signs in current tenants.

Hopefully though we should soon be purchasing the house we are currently renting, which will put an end to agents :hurray: Its actually costing us more a year with our constant moving (due to DHs work) and fixing, than it would be to buy a house!

We had a greyhound and a cute mutt dog in our house with hardwood floors. There were never any scratches from the dogs' nails, and no, we didn't have the nails clipped on a regular basis. Our bad. But still, just walking (or galloping, lol) on hardwood doesn't gouge the wood. Moving furniture around does. Little girls walking on their dressy-shoes-heels because it feels and sounds cool does. :glare: A dog which scratches at the door would make scratches, I'm sure; that's a behavior issue, which may or may not be an issue. Sixteen years of hardwood-floors-and-pets living didn't leave scratches in our home.

I'm ok with you not allowing pets. But just know that a dog walking around in the house isn't going to mess up the floors.

Can you put inexpensive carpet over the wood floors while the house is being rented?

As a dog owner, this would be harder for ME to take care of than the hardwood floors. Especially if the hardwood floors ARE well taken care of, properly sealed, etc. If the floors are done right, then my dog isn't going to do much damage at all, if any. :)

Thanks for all the replies! As always, the WTM folks have a wide variety of opinions!

We weren't worried so much about the nails on the floor as the dog barf and urine. Nail scratches can be buffed. Urine...ick.

Everyone that called about the house was told no indoor pets. It wasn't a surprise to anyone, so the fact that they came to see the house and ended up renting it says they agree that the 5 acres, barn, shop, fenced yard, carport, etc. is adequate for their pet(s). These folks have 4 other hound dogs for hunting that are already outside dogs and they were agreeable to having the other (bloodhound) be outside also.

The $1500 deposit we collected would have been collected from any renter whether on not they had pets. We discovered from the last renters that $1000 didn't cover the damage, cleaning, and past-due rent.

BTW...we have a dog. He used to be indoor/outdoor. Then he was outdoor full-time when we discovered our 2yo was allergic. Now we drag his crate inside at night to keep him from barking incessantly at the bear that has moved into our area.

:)

Sorry I have not read the five pages of replies, but I'll chip in anyway.

We just purchased a home in which the previous owners had a small dog. The stained woodwork is *all* scratched up, especially the bottom edges of doors where little furry friend scratched to let someone know he wanted in or out.

I would get "before" photos of the bottom edges of your doors and cabinets, and maybe the floors. Just file them away, along with the receipts of the work you've just had done.

FWIW, I'd just expect dog damage. I can't imagine that their other dogs will suddenly become outdoor dwellers. Just think it's easier said than done, kwim?