Menu

The Lord's name in vain

I was taught to never take the Lord's name in vain; so were most people in my religion, which is who I'm around most of the time. So I'm not used to hearing often, and cringe when I do.

Now, for the first time, I have moved out of my bubble and I live in an actual neighborhood and I have lots of neighbors. My dd5 is now in the habit of say "OMG" all the time. Why? Because all of her friends do. Because all of the adults do. Everyone does.

I was talking to Dh about this last night and thought that maybe other Christians define "taking the Lord's name in vain" differently than we do. :confused:

(I think "keeping the sabbath day holy" is another one where we are just not on the same Webster page as my neighboring Christians are.)

I figured y'all would know the answer :D

So here's the specific question: If you say OMG (and other variations) and you are a Bible-reading/believing Christian, does it not violate the commandment "thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain" commandment? If not, what would? Just curious.

The way I had been taught in Sunday school (I grew up Lutheran in Germany) had a completely different focus of that commandment. Our ministers interpreted this that claiming to do things "in God's name" (for instance starting a "holy" war, or forcing others to adhere to your rules, or invoking God to justify some action), is violating the commandment because it is invoking God's name in vain. Cursing was never mentioned and is not regarded that big a deal, even in my congregation.

The way I had been taught in Sunday school (I grew up Lutheran in Germany) had a completely different focus of that commandment. Our ministers interpreted this that claiming to do things "in God's name" (for instance starting a "holy" war, or forcing others to adhere to your rules, or invoking God to justify some action), is violating the commandment because it is invoking God's name in vain. Cursing was never mentioned and is not regarded that big a deal, even in my congregation.

Thanks! That would make sense!

We are Catholic, and we don't say it. We don't allow our dc to say it, and I wouldn't allow them to say, "OMG" either. I stopped watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition because I couldn't stand hearing it over and over and over in the reveals.

I am curious as to your definition of keeping the Sabbath day holy, but I think I'm on the same page as you IRT taking the Lord's name in vain.

I think I'll opt out of that one :) Maybe someone could start another thread about it. ?

I, too, cringe when I hear it. I do say a variant: "oh my gosh"... and I've had Christians call me out on it, saying it's the same thing. So I try not to say it because it may bother others, but it's so ingrained in my vocabulary that I often just blurt it out to mean "oh my!" or "wow!" Although I do try to not say it, I know God knows my heart and knows that I do not mean HIM when I say "gosh". It's one of those stories of not doing something you know is okay when a (perhaps weaker) brother or sister thinks it's not. And so the paradox ensues.

My step-dad is bad for it, and I finally asked him to stop. He was flabbergasted that I had the guts to do it. I just sincerely looked at him and said "how would you feel if people took to saying oh my Paul (his dad's name) as an expression?" I think he understood then, how much it hurts me.

That's an interesting take on it. I'd never heard it like that, but it makes sense.

I, too, cringe when I hear it. I do say a variant: "oh my gosh"... and I've had Christians call me out on it, saying it's the same thing. So I try not to say it because it may bother others, but it's so ingrained in my vocabulary that I often just blurt it out to mean "oh my!" or "wow!" Although I do try to not say it, I know God knows my heart and knows that I do not mean HIM when I say "gosh". It's one of those stories of not doing something you know is okay when a (perhaps weaker) brother or sister thinks it's not. And so the paradox ensues.

My step-dad is bad for it, and I finally asked him to stop. He was flabbergasted that I had the guts to do it. I just sincerely looked at him and said "how would you feel if people took to saying oh my Paul (his dad's name) as an expression?" I think he understood then, how much it hurts me.

I say "oh my gosh" too. Probably shouldn't, seeing that it's so close to the other... but it's not the other. I guess everyone draws their line differently.

Another way to look at "taking the Lord's name in vain" is that the Bible is very clear about the idea of the Lord's *name* being holy, and so, at a minimum, should not be used be used lightly or frivolously.

Anne

We don't say OMG or oh my gosh, since it's just a variant. Don't know about the "keeping sabbath holy" thing, since Sabbath is Saturday, but we do faithfully attend worship services on the Lord's Day. Unless someone is throwing up or has a fever, we're there.

We do not say 'OMG' (the words said out or even the letters) and I try not to even say "Oh My Gosh". (My default is "Oh Man"). Same goes with "JC" or any form of it.

I believe that is taking God's name in vain. As is doing anything that you are doing in the name of God.

This pretty much sums up my beliefs: http://www.ucg.org/this-is-the-way/dont-take-it-vain/

Another way to look at "taking the Lord's name in vain" is that the Bible is very clear about the idea of the Lord's *name* being holy, and so, at a minimum, should not be used be used lightly or frivolously.

Anne

Understood, but the Lord's name is not "God", is it?

I think this makes excellent sense.

And, I try not to say "oh my God" and tell my dc not to either, but I do often say "oh, lord" or "lordy" and under stress I will say "for God's sake." how bad am I? ;)

I say "oh my gosh" too. Probably shouldn't, seeing that it's so close to the other... but it's not the other. I guess everyone draws their line differently.

We don't use OMG here, but I don't have any issues with "gosh." I've never equated it at all with using the Lord's name in vain. . .

This is how I feel as well. The Isrealites would never even write the name of the Lord, more else speak it!! So I find the OMG interpretation to be a little suspect. (God isn't His name) And they said by "Your God" and "My God" all the time.

However saying OMG does offend some people so I try to not use it and tell the children to not use it.

It also falls into the same category of overusing any word... (umm, like, whatever) You just sound uneducated.

Here's a good translation of the commandment (From Exodus and my Oxford NRSV):

You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.

I think it does refer to cursing but not our modern idea of what cursing is (swearing). It's referring to using the Lord's name to actually attempt to bind God to action against another.

"G-d will strike you down if you don't finish plowing my fields."

"You'll be punished by G-d for what you've done to me."

In the Old Testament God could be bound to action by using his name. Think about how Jacob tricked Isaac into giving him the Lord's blessing that Isaac meant for Esau. It was Isaac's mistake but God was still bound to honour it. So to do this thoughtlessly, bind God to violence or retribution, was (and is) something horrible.

Swearing is a much more modern notion as is applying the idea of swearing to that commandment.

Personally I don't think OMG or any the very colourful and expressive interjections some of my relatives use are violating that commandment. You need specific intent to attempt to lay a curse on someone and those folks aren't anywhere close to having that.

I DO think however that it's a matter of manners. While I don't think it's a sin to use God's name as an interjection or while swearing I think it shows a lack of respect for people around me and I've let my kids know it's not appropriate to swear.

That's my perspective anyway.

That's an interesting take on it.

I have heard this before and I agree that this would be the more apparent abuse of God's name than a mindless exclamation.

I say "oh my gosh," too. I am not bothered and my kids are allowed to use this version, although if we want to split hairs, I'm sure we could come up with a better exclamation. Maybe I'll start saying, "Oh my Paul!" :lol:

Don't know about the "keeping sabbath holy" thing, since Sabbath is Saturday, but we do faithfully attend worship services on the Lord's Day. Unless someone is throwing up or has a fever, we're there.

The Sabbath thing has actually bugged me more in my adult life than anyone saying OMG. I'm not really sure why we (cultural "we") totally ignore that commandment, although I do, too, so I'm not trying to get up on a high horse about it.

I am not Christian, however, living in a predominately Christian community - and respecting my own version of God - I still try not to say it, and I tell my kids not too. I think it is disrespectful of those who do care.

Here's a good translation of the commandment (From Exodus and my Oxford NRSV):

I think it does refer to cursing but not our modern idea of what cursing is (swearing). It's referring to using the Lord's name to actually attempt to bind God to action against another.

"G-d will strike you down if you don't finish plowing my fields."

"You'll be punished by G-d for what you've done to me."

In the Old Testament God could be bound to action by using his name. Think about how Jacob tricked Isaac into giving him the Lord's blessing that Isaac meant for Esau. It was Isaac's mistake but God was still bound to honour it. So to do this thoughtlessly, bind God to violence or retribution, was (and is) something horrible.

Swearing is a much more modern notion as is applying the idea of swearing to that commandment.

Personally I don't think OMG or any the very colourful and expressive interjections some of my relatives use are violating that commandment. You need specific intent to attempt to lay a curse on someone and those folks aren't anywhere close to having that.

I DO think however that it's a matter of manners. While I don't think it's a sin to use God's name as an interjection or while swearing I think it shows a lack of respect for people around me and I've let my kids know it's not appropriate to swear.

That's my perspective anyway.

Your explanation is what my father taught us. I do say gosh but in my heart it has no similarities to "God". I would hate to think that even people who say "Oh my God" or "OMG" are trying to be disrespectful of God. I think it is just part of the modern vernacular and doesn't really hold any underlying meaning.

I was raised to feel very uncomfortable with OMG's and others. However, it was about 7 or 8 years ago when I was questioning my faith and wanting to go deeper with an understanding, especially of things that didn't make too much sense. This particular commandment always had me confused. I couldn't figure out how saying OMG would be in the same category as murder or adulturery. I knew G-d would show me, he is so faithful in those ways, always......

anyways, in my quiet time and prayer about this matter he very clearly showed me that what is a bigger issue is just slinging Jesus or G-d's name around without it having any meaning....most especially by claiming to be a Christian or Christ follower (by representing Jesus), but not living in such a way or acting in such a way. This is harder than I had anticipated to explain, sorry if it confusing.

I guess most simply, my definition of this commandment, is that if we claim to represent Jesus we must mean it in all we do and say. Using His name in vain would mean that we use it to control or for power or for vanity, or empty pride, does that make sense?

e

I tend to agree with the above. We still highly discourage slang that includes variations of God's name, but I pretty much discourage all slang words. ;)

Tabletalk Magazine (Ligonier Ministries) tackled the four major views on the Sabbath this month. I'll have to find if they posted those articles online. Very interesting stuff. Oops, its the June issue so they won't post the articles for a few more weeks.

Edited by Daisy

I just sincerely looked at him and said "how would you feel if people took to saying oh my Paul (his dad's name) as an expression?" I think he understood then, how much it hurts me.

I truly don't get why this would be hurtful. I wouldn't mind if people said, "oh my katilac!" ((so, y'know, feel free, ;)))

What is hurtful about using someone's name this way?

This is the explanation I've seen of the commandment that has made sense to me.

That said, I don't say "Oh my God!" or things like that, simply because I know it does bother some people and I try to be respectful of their feelings. For the same reason, my DS knows it's not something I think it's appropriate to say, especially around others. But, I don't think the commandment is talking about that sort of thing, but what is mentioned above, and doing things like swearing an oath in the name of God and then reneging on it.

Taking the Lord's name in vain *includes* OMG. I find it annoying when other Christians do it, but understand why non-Christian's say it.

There are a couple of alternate takes in this thread which would mean OMG is not in contradiction of that commandment.

I detest it *almost* as much as "Holy insert anything except God/Lord here"

The Biggest Loser show would be a much better program if they would ban the almost constant "OMG" along with Jillian's bleeped F words! I really dislike euphemisms. Just say what you mean!

I detest it *almost* as much as "Holy insert anything except God/Lord here"

The Biggest Loser show would be a much better program if they would ban the almost constant "OMG" along with Jillian's bleeped F words! I really dislike euphemisms. Just say what you mean!

:iagree: Totally agree! I would rather hear cussing, even the really bad words, than any OMG or JC. Only problem with that is they usually get combined which is even worse.:glare:

We are Catholic, and we don't say it. We don't allow our dc to say it, and I wouldn't allow them to say, "OMG" either. I stopped watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition because I couldn't stand hearing it over and over and over in the reveals.

Our kids don't watch this show any more either. We used to love it. But the language used during the reveals was so overwhelming. I still DVR the show but I watch it without the kids and turn the volume down during the reveal so I don't have to hear it either.

There is really no 'family friendly' tv shows airing today. The only tv the kids watch right now are reruns of Little House.

So here's the specific question: If you say OMG (and other variations) and you are a Bible-reading/believing Christian, does it not violate the commandment "thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain" commandment? If not, what would? Just curious.

Taking the Lord's name just grates my ears. I hate hearing it. OMG is exactly the same thing to me.

I don't like hearing it either. I do tend to say, "Oh, my goodness!" alot though. The worst was a friend of my dds who constantly said, "Oh, my baby Jesus!" It drove me nuts and I finally asked her to quit saying it in our home.

I was taught to never take the Lord's name in vain; so were most people in my religion, which is who I'm around most of the time. So I'm not used to hearing often, and cringe when I do.

Now, for the first time, I have moved out of my bubble and I live in an actual neighborhood and I have lots of neighbors. My dd5 is now in the habit of say "OMG" all the time. Why? Because all of her friends do. Because all of the adults do. Everyone does.

I was talking to Dh about this last night and thought that maybe other Christians define "taking the Lord's name in vain" differently than we do. :confused:

(I think "keeping the sabbath day holy" is another one where we are just not on the same Webster page as my neighboring Christians are.)

I figured y'all would know the answer :D

I may not be the best to answer this because we are the same religion. (I wondered after reading this post and clicking on your blog confirmed it.)

Anyway, we do not say OMG or anything of the such. In many instances I'd rather hear what is considered a curse word over the OMG.

We also are strict about Sabbath-day adherence.

Well, we are Jehovah's Witnesses (anyone else on this board??), so clearly God's name is very important to us. ;) Before studying the bible, or being a religious person at all, I DID say OMG, or write the abbreviation online. However that was many years ago as a teenager. We do not say it now, and I try to avoid even the abbreviation, although like most things in our language that's taken on a new meaning... so I don't view that as a huge offense. I don't say Oh my gosh, even though I know God knows I'm not using it as a slight. I say Oh my goodness now.

I like reading these threads! Seeing what other people do/say in their religions is always so interesting to me.

I feel the same way. My heart aches for some reason when I hear it, I cannot explain the offense that I take to it. We do not use it in our home, nor do others who come into our home.

Sabbath day... my husband works in sales, and they really had a hard time with his wanting Sunday's off. My guess is they do not see that much anymore, but that is our day for church, rest and family. They deal. :)

It still violates it. When we hear OMG our pastor told us to say "Blessed be His holy name." Our children now say it too. It's awkward the first few times, but you'd be surprised at the reaction from people, mostly positive. Friends have stopped saying it after hearing us respond that way a few times.

It sound like you're invoking Him to action again and that is where I feel it is wrong.

Possibly a bit of a tangent, but my father at one point told us that we should never say "Bless you" to someone who sneezes. The reason he gave was that it is a shortened form of "God bless you" and, since you could never be totally sure the other person was *really* a *true* Christian, it was blasphemy---you were in effect risking ordering or requiring God to bless someone he could not bless (since he can only, by his own will, bless Christians). Was this just my dad's odd interpretation (entirely possible), or has anyone else come across this teaching? If so, where?

There are a couple of alternate takes in this thread which would mean OMG is not in contradiction of that commandment.

:iagree: Good reasons given above about that.

"God" isn't HIS name.

The commandment isn't 'Thou Shalt Not Express Thyself Mightily' -- I actually see the replacements/variations for such expressions as KEEPING the commandment by NOT using His NAME and instead using some other innocuous word.

I do think the 'useless word' argument is much more compelling than any breaking-commandment argument.

and fwiw, I really appreciate the people who DO work on Sundays [especially when I had to find a chiropractor on a SUNDAY], and believe there's more than one way to Keep the Sabbath Holy. Even Christ remarked about the importance of being available to HELP those in need, and hey-- the Sabbath is technically Saturday, right? So then you get into "which Sabbath"? I like James' take on True Religion. ;)

Possibly a bit of a tangent, but my father at one point told us that we should never say "Bless you" to someone who sneezes. The reason he gave was that it is a shortened form of "God bless you" and, since you could never be totally sure the other person was *really* a *true* Christian, it was blasphemy---you were in effect risking ordering or requiring God to bless someone he could not bless (since he can only, by his own will, bless Christians). Was this just my dad's odd interpretation (entirely possible), or has anyone else come across this teaching? If so, where?
Well, I'm kind of taken aback by the idea that God only blesses Christians. :001_huh:

We don't use or allow our children to say or type OMG (or JC) and I don't like hearing that or GD or any variation that uses God's name in cursing.

I was a non-Christian much longer than I've been a Christian and when I was active duty military, I had a pretty foul mouth. Such a hard habit to break, too. And break it, I did. But sometimes when I am extremely mad, the language slips a bit but enough that when it happens I immediately feel guilty and repentant. It is like my soul contracts. It's hard to explain how I feel when it happens. :o

I'm not fond of OMGosh for my family (but don't cringe when I hear others say it).

I once read this statement and it stuck with me:

If we TRULY comprehended who God is... His holiness, His righteousness... who He really is... we would be a lot more careful with how we use His name.

And I totally agree. We can get into semantics and theological discussions and break down the Hebrew words if you want but in reality we should be very respectful with ANY use of His Holy Name.