Menu

The house next door is going to be a 'sorority' house

OMgosh, the house next door was repossesed after a bitter and nasty divorce. Long story. The house is a 100 year old victorian, about 3000 square feet, and needs quite a bit of work on the inside. It has been vacant since Dec and went on the market about 2 months ago. It sold almost immediately.

We found out on Monday that the house was purchased by a guy who told us he was going to use it as a rental. This has been our biggest fear. There are no rentals in our neighborhood. It is an established, single family area that is in a desirable part of town. We were hoping that a couple/family would buy the house and refurbish it.

Well....the guy who bought it is turning it into a 'sorority' house for the local community college's girl's basketball team. They anticipate 8-10 girls moving in by August. They have stated they are not going to be doing anything to the outside of the house but will be doing some work to the inside.

Our concerns are:

wherever a bunch of teenaged girls is there is bound to be a bunch of teenaged boys

there isn't enough parking at the house for 8-10 vehicles so we are anticipating lots of street parking which would mean they will have to park in front of our house

since it is for community college girls there will be a fast turnover of people living in the house. At best each girl would be there for two years.

drop in property values and desirability of the neighborhood

---

All of the neighbors are upset. The neighbor on the other side of the house came over last night for a chat and is rallying support for phoning in complaints to the city.

DH and I are beyond frustrated.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

Well....the guy who bought it is turning it into a 'sorority' house for the local community college's girl's basketball team. They anticipate 8-10 girls moving in by August. They have stated they are not going to be doing anything to the outside of the house but will be doing some work to the inside.

I'd be frustrated, too, and would look into zoning laws in the area.

But, if it's any consolation, the house next door to us was rented out to 6 members of the local university's football team. We were VERY concerned about this. My DH is a really, really light sleeper, and we were worried about them having loud parties at night, about finding beer cans and other party residue in our shared yard, about them having friends coming over at all hours.

The only issue we've had with them is that they have a pit bull they let loose into the shared yard, and once they were made aware that it was an issue and against their lease agreement, they stopped. Outside of that, they have been ideal neighbors. If they have parties at the house, we don't hear them. They have fewer people coming over than any previous neighbors we've had. They also must carpool in, or walk to campus, because we haven't noticed any parking issues. Many times student athletes have pretty stringent rules regarding grades and behavior, and so I'm guessing that members of the girls' basketball team will be less likely to have wild parties than a traditional fraternity/sorority.

Edited by twoforjoy

Really unless the renters are actually doing something wrong, I wouldn't think you can do anything. He has the right to rent out his property to whomever he deems qualified.

ALL rental properties tend to have a faster turn over rate. That's why most leases are in 6 month or 1 year increments.

If the home is that big, it's just as likely a large family could have purchased it. Like mine. And I wouldn't have done anything to the outside either. (well I'd make my kids mow it. But that is literally likely it. I hate gardening and think the concept of planting grass just to cut it is weird.) And there would be lots and lots of teens about then too.

Or he could rent it out to a convicted child molester.

The biggest mistake the owner made was telling you anything?

Idk. I guess I see the possible concerns. I'm just not sure you have any rights to a say in the matter. Especially as they haven't even moved in yet, so it's not as though you have any actual complaints yet.

Edited by Martha

I'd be frustrated, too, and would look into zoning laws in the area.

But, if it's any consolation, the house next door to us was rented out to 6 members of the local university's football team. We were VERY concerned about this. My DH is a really, really light sleeper, and we were worried about them having loud parties at night, about finding beer cans and other party residue in our shared yard, about them having friends coming over at all hours.

The only issue we've had with them is that they have a pit bull they let loose into the shared yard, and once they were made aware that it was an issue and against their lease agreement, they stopped. Outside of that, they have been ideal neighbors. If they have parties at the house, we don't hear them. They have fewer people coming over than any previous neighbors we've had. They also must carpool in, or walk to campus, because we haven't noticed any parking issues. Many times student athletes have pretty stringent rules regarding grades and behavior, and so I'm guessing that members of the girls' basketball team will be less likely to have wild parties than a traditional fraternity/sorority.

Thanks for sharing a positive experience. If I may ask, how long have they lived there? Did the six rent it on their own? Will it be rented by someone else once they graduate?

Our concern is that the landlord is planning on using this as a permanent home for the girl's basketball players. This isn't a short term rental by 6 girl's wanting to share a place. This is long term and he is quite excited about the prospect.

Thanks for sharing a positive experience. If I may ask, how long have they lived there? Did the six rent it on their own? Will it be rented by someone else once they graduate?

Our concern is that the landlord is planning on using this as a permanent home for the girl's basketball players. This isn't a short term rental by 6 girl's wanting to share a place. This is long term and he is quite excited about the prospect.

In this case, they've been here about a year, and I'm assuming they rented it independently. I don't think the landlord has any intention of making it a permanent residence for football players.

That's really kind of an odd situation. Is it the coach of the basketball team who is renting it? Why would the landlord assume that the girls' basketball team would want to keep living there? If it is some sort of permanent home for the basketball team, is the college in any way involved? If they aren't, that seems very strange, and if they are, then there are probably various regulations they'll need to abide by.

In this case, they've been here about a year, and I'm assuming they rented it independently. I don't think the landlord has any intention of making it a permanent residence for football players.

That's really kind of an odd situation. Is it the coach of the basketball team who is renting it? Why would the landlord assume that the girls' basketball team would want to keep living there? If it is some sort of permanent home for the basketball team, is the college in any way involved? If they aren't, that seems very strange, and if they are, then there are probably various regulations they'll need to abide by.

To the best of my knowledge... the landlord is the assistant coach for the boy's basketball team (he is the owner on record); the house was specifically purchased for the purpose of housing the girls on the basketball team; the college is not officially involved and the official stance is the CC is a non-residential school and students are responsible for finding housing; however, the asst. coach/landlord is allegedly using the house as a recruiting incentive to prospective players

My parents live in a university town and there are laws similar to the one mentioned above about the number of unrelated people living together in one house. Many university/college communities have laws like this to preserve property values and family neighborhoods. I'd check the local zoning laws. Of course if he is using it as a recruiting tool he might be violating recruiting policies since it is a privately owned property (owned by the recruiter) not affiliated with college housing.

(Sometimes there has to be a rezoning hearing to get a building redesignated for such community living.)

I live in a college town and have friends that have and have had college rentals. Hope for the best but don't expect it. Find out what rules apply to your neighborhood and be ready to use them. I would also go over and be very friendly. Some of those girls are bound to be underage... About the tanning, yesterday in the front yard of a college rental, on a main street, were about a dozen girls in bikinis hula hooping!:rolleyes:

Of course if he is using it as a recruiting tool he might be violating recruiting policies since it is a privately owned property (owned by the recruiter) not affiliated with college housing.

That does seem to be an odd conflict of interest. He is presumably making some money from the deal. Kind of strange to have your coach be your landlord. At the same time, kind of nice for the kids at a commuter school to have a nice housing arrangement with their teammates, at least as a option. (Do community colleges really recruit sports players? Didn't know that.)

I live in a college town. The actual sorority/frat houses are about 2 blocks from my house-- the heart of campus being another 2 blocks from there. Our college has houses all over town that are "alternative housing" options. Students apply to live in certain houses based on mutual interests of the inhabitants. We have "International House", "Tree House" (environmentally conscious), "Rainbow House" (minority students), and about 15 other houses spread throughout the surrounding neighborhoods. There is a house full of football & lacrosse players on the other side of the alley behind my back yard, and "Rainbow House" is at the far end of that block. We've had no problems with any of them-- the athletes are independently renting their house-- they've been there for 2 years and will stay through next spring when most of them will graduate. At that point, the ones who are still here will either move or get new roommates. "Rainbow House" has been there for 15 years. New tenants every semester. Occasionally, they'll have a party or get-together, but they're much less obtrusive than the idiot 2 doors down who drowns his grill in lighter fluid & sits outside listening to the local pop station at full blast 2-3 afternoons & evenings per week. :glare: They almost never get louder than a typical barbecue, and they do a lot of community good. They hold a People In Need Haunted House every October, sponsor a booth in our local arts festival, and generally foster good will in the community. (Which, in college towns, can be a HUGE hurdle IME. "Privileged" students, plus "inconvenienced" townies can make for a big hateful mess.)

As for parking.... our city planners FAILED big time when building narrow streets, putting in houses with no driveways, and making parking on the street a generally accepted norm. :glare: HUGE issue... but not the students' faults.

ETA: I know that there won't be a houseful of young women replacing the athletes behind us any time soon. In our city, more than 7 unrelated women living together in a single-family dwelling legally constitutes a brothel. :lol:

Edited by KristinaBreece

That does seem to be an odd conflict of interest. He is presumably making some money from the deal. Kind of strange to have your coach be your landlord. At the same time, kind of nice for the kids at a commuter school to have a nice housing arrangement with their teammates, at least as a option. (Do community colleges really recruit sports players? Didn't know that.)

:iagree: My first thought was, wow are they lucky! Maybe they're recruiting from within the college. "Having trouble balancing work, rent and school? Like to play basketball? Have we got a home for you!"

They absolutely do recruit. I have a family member who coaches for a community college. (Not basketball and not as a landlord!) I went to a DI school, and the recruiting at the CC level is nothing like what I experienced though.

I'm not sure exactly how the regulations play out, but there are different limitations on what benefits a player can receive at a community college. I'm not big on going out of the way to get people into trouble, but I could see this causing trouble for the team and the school if the athletic department hasn't cleared it.

(I hula-hoop in my yard wearing a bikini when it's hot out, but I'm pretty sure teenage boys are NOT interested in watching me play with my children.)

Treat them as you would any other neighbor as long as they're being reasonable themselves. It's very possible it won't be a big issue - they may end up going elsewhere for parties more often than not.

If parties are a problem...

Lawnmowers at 7AM the next morning any time there's been a problematic party. Weedwackers, too. Or leafblowers. Anything loud and noisy. A bounce house for the kids would probably do the job, too :) (Make sure the neighbors are in on this plan, so they don't feel they're being attacked from both sides)

Know the local noise ordinances, and report violations if they're a problem. Same if you suspect legal drinking age violations.

Edited by ocelotmom

I'm not sure exactly how the regulations play out, but there are different limitations on what benefits a player can receive at a community college. I'm not big on going out of the way to get people into trouble, but I could see this causing trouble for the team and the school if the athletic department hasn't cleared it.

This. I also wouldn't go out of the way to cause trouble for the neighbors, but this sounds like it could be a pretty serious issue that could end up causing trouble for the students and the school, who may not know what's going on and what the regulations are.

That does seem to be an odd conflict of interest. He is presumably making some money from the deal. Kind of strange to have your coach be your landlord. He's not the girl's coach but the boy's coach. Evidently he helps with recruiting for both teams. At the same time, kind of nice for the kids at a commuter school to have a nice housing arrangement with their teammates, at least as a option. (Do community colleges really recruit sports players? Didn't know that.)

Yep, our cc recruits from all over the midwest.

I live in a university town. We have student housing surrounding us. (Most of the student housing even has little signs on the house saying "Student Housing")

We have been here a year, and never had any problems what-so-ever. The only down side is that there are no kids on our street. Next street over has plenty of kids, but not this one. :confused:

It does make it easy to find someone for outside jobs. We had a regular lawn guy last year. I meet him once. After that I would just leave money in our mail box, and never once again thought about our lawn. He would just work on it for X amount of time. Also if it didn't need any work he would just skip our place and leave the money in the mail box.

Another good thing about student housing. Is no one seems to care about various "Martha Steward" things. If I don't cut my lawn, or have weeds... It's not like the students next door will complain. There lawns are also kept up nicely since they are only around for a short time they can start a junk collection. The landlords keep up with all the lawn care... They also all seem to go party somewhere else since I have never seen or heard what I consider a party.

I would do anything to stop that or move. I will never live by a college house again. EVER. In our yard we found used con@oms, beer bottles, broken bongs, a small bag of coke, oh and so much trash. We lived there two years and I was done.

Not too mention the parties. We came home several times to people actually parked in our driveway blocking our house. People running around nude and no I am not joking. The things my children saw. The language in the front yard.

I shouldn't have stayed as long as I did. It was terrible in every way. Cops busts in the middle of the night. Children being woke up to arguing and music. It was a nightmare.

I just spoke to the community development director and he told me there have been a number of calls with concerns about the house.

The house is zoned R-1, single family housing, which means any number of related individuals may live in the house but no more than 2 unrelated individuals.

No permits or re-zoning requests have been applied for at this time.

A letter has been mailed to the owner/potential landlord asking for a meeting to discuss his intentions for the house.

All we can do at this point is wait.

I just spoke to the community development director and he told me there have been a number of calls with concerns about the house.

The house is zoned R-1, single family housing, which means any number of related individuals may live in the house but no more than 2 unrelated individuals.

A letter has been mailed to the owner/potential landlord asking for a meeting to discuss his intentions for the house.

I wish you the best of luck and will pray this is not going to be a reality for you or your neighbors.

I'm betting he has no idea what he's gotten himself into, and that he'll find he's over his head pretty fast and put the house back up for sale. If he thinks he's going to breeze in and pull this off with no hitches, he may be in for a shock. The fight may not be worth it to him, once he realizes he's going to have a fight on his hands. Let's hope for that. LOL

I spent a summer living with 6 other people in an ancient Victorian just off campus. Neighbors? I had no clue they even existed, we were all young and (I am now ashamed to admit) very self-centered.

Definitely double check the zoning, sounds like you are in a single-family residential area.

If it proceeds, I would be on that house like a duck on a June bug, reporting everything from an unkept yard to noise past the hours designated by local ordinance to whatever else I could think of! I may also be trying to think of creative ways to make parking in front of your own home unattractive to those residents.

The girls themselves could end up being great neighbors, if they are willing to be involved in the community. It's the owner/potential slumlord you'll have to keep on his toes!

Sounds like a solution is at hand.

I should also add that mortgages are different for a house that is owner occupied and one that is a rental. Wonder which he has?

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst

That is what I thought your situation would be- R1 housing. We live in such a neighborhood now. There are no group houses here even though we are very close to the community college and only four or five miles from a large state school. That is because of the zoning. My neighborhood is extremely well informed about zoing and political matters and we get things done. I am just hoping that my next neighborhood will be similar. With your situation, I think the zoning board should send out a reminder letter to the landlord about the zoning.

We live in an older part of town and there are probably 10 frat/sorority houses right around the corner from us. We've been here just over a year and we haven't had any problems. Of couse on big game weekends, during finals there are a lot more kids around, but the noise isn't terrible and there isn't anymore mess than anywhere else in town.

Our house is the only rental on our block and I know the neighbors were very leery of us moving in. I have really appreciated having the only rental on the block though. We maintain our house and we have great neighbors in a beautiful street. We definitely got a good deal out of this.

This is definately to your advantage.

I would keep a close eye on it, to be aware if he does apply to change the zoning.

Do not put all your eggs in the "zoning laws" basket. They can be changed at the drop of a hat, despite numerous petitions, city meetings, appeals to mayors, council members, impact studies, etc. In my city, there has not been ONE successful attempt at maintaining zoning laws in favor of the current residents. It's the reason why the property behind my upper middle class neighborhood, which was once zoned "rural" and had horses, now has 65 upscale townhomes sitting on it. Also the reason for the storage sheds on the other side of our neighborhood. If you want to know how your community is likely to rule.....check out their past decisions in the city record. But seriously....zoning laws aren't worth the paper they're written on. :glare:

I'm glad to see that you have a potential way to handle this issue with your area's current zoning laws, but, as another poster noted, student athletes are a whole different ball game from your run-of-the-mill sorority girl. I hope this all works out for you! I would hate to be in that position.

We live a duplex next to student housing, and honestly, we haven't had too many problems with them. About the only thing you have to deal with is the people who stand outside and smoke. If you spend a lot of time outside in your yard, and are averse to secondhand smoke, it can be a pain. We generally go to the park, because the traffic on the road by our place is insane, but if we were out in the yard a lot, I'd probably want to strangle somebody.

I don't remember if you said- how close is this house to your home?

Also, I just want to throw out there (again...) that not all renters are miscreants, and not all homeowners are wonderful, loving people. Since there seems to be a lot of that sentiment around here. With the economy in tatters, many people rent simply because they want to be able to move quickly for work. It doesn't mean they're going to be drunken lunatics who store rusted refrigerators in the yard.

Well, we had a drug house next door to us for a year before a teen was found dead of an overdose just feet from our house. So I'd take your sorority house. :tongue_smilie:

(And we actually live in a very nice suburban area. Not at all what you would imagine for a drug house.)

I do feel for you. This house has now been purchased and we just found out that it is going to be a rental and I'm not happy about it. But I am holding out hope that we already hit rock-bottom with the drug house. May we both be blessed with lovely neighbors. :D

I spent a summer living with 6 other people in an ancient Victorian just off campus. Neighbors? I had no clue they even existed, we were all young and (I am now ashamed to admit) very self-centered.

I've lived in college student areas many times, and most were just fine. I would think women's BBall would be fairly innocuous. Is it a public or religious school? Do the teams have behavior expectations.

I recall a terrible late night(2 a.m. and I had to work in the morning) next-door party in the old part of town. I got dressed, tromped in the house and into the storm cellar basement where I quietly took out all those glass fuses and piled them up in the dark. Stereo came to grinding halt and people left like cockroaches scuttling through the dark. I walked back out and went to bed. No one there was sober enough to fix it before morning.

Renters can be nice people like my family. We rent in a neighborhood where we'd looked to buy. But we thought the prices were still too high.

No cars on blocks or fridge in the yard.

:D But you aren't a bunch of college students, cars, boyfriends, after game parties...

I live in a college town. The actual sorority/frat houses are about 2 blocks from my house-- the heart of campus being another 2 blocks from there. Our college has houses all over town that are "alternative housing" options. Students apply to live in certain houses based on mutual interests of the inhabitants. We have "International House", "Tree House" (environmentally conscious), "Rainbow House" (minority students), and about 15 other houses spread throughout the surrounding neighborhoods. There is a house full of football & lacrosse players on the other side of the alley behind my back yard, and "Rainbow House" is at the far end of that block. We've had no problems with any of them-- the athletes are independently renting their house-- they've been there for 2 years and will stay through next spring when most of them will graduate. At that point, the ones who are still here will either move or get new roommates. "Rainbow House" has been there for 15 years. New tenants every semester. Occasionally, they'll have a party or get-together, but they're much less obtrusive than the idiot 2 doors down who drowns his grill in lighter fluid & sits outside listening to the local pop station at full blast 2-3 afternoons & evenings per week. :glare: They almost never get louder than a typical barbecue, and they do a lot of community good. They hold a People In Need Haunted House every October, sponsor a booth in our local arts festival, and generally foster good will in the community. (Which, in college towns, can be a HUGE hurdle IME. "Privileged" students, plus "inconvenienced" townies can make for a big hateful mess.)

As for parking.... our city planners FAILED big time when building narrow streets, putting in houses with no driveways, and making parking on the street a generally accepted norm. :glare: HUGE issue... but not the students' faults.

ETA: I know that there won't be a houseful of young women replacing the athletes behind us any time soon. In our city, more than 7 unrelated women living together in a single-family dwelling legally constitutes a brothel. :lol:

Many older neighborhoods are just like you described b/c the neighborhoods were built waaaaaay before the auto explosion in the US. When was your neighborhood started/built?

Just to clarify - I am not against renters. There are many people who rent who would be great neighbors.

What we are concerned about is the intended use of the house - a place where girls on the basketball team can come and live, the landlord's self-proclaimed basketball sorority house. It's a comunity college - not a four year university or LAC. The most any student can remain on the team is two years. This will mean new girls every one or two years, depending on whether or not they are all in the same class at the beginning.

We are 4 miles from the CC, not one or two blocks. This is predominantly a single family neighborhood with no apartments and few multifamily units(and these were built in the 1920's & 30's for that purpose). It is a middle class to upper class area - like most towns established in the 1800's the housing varies from large homes (Victorians) to smaller homes (1920's Mission).

----

To a pp: my house is about 25 feet from the other house.