Menu

how much would you spend on flip-flops?

I'm really tired of buying cheap, "cute" flops every year that hurt my feet and hips to wear them. I have chronic hip issues and was diagnosed with arthritis 2 years ago (and I'm not even 40 yet!!) but I LOVE going barefoot and wearing flops in the summer.

any thoughts??

Shannon

I just bought a new pair of flip flops yesterday. I only buy Teva flip flops because they are very soft and feel like I'm walking on a cloud. I've seen them at Famous Footwear, Cabela's, sporting goods stores...I bought mine from a local water sports shop.

They are regularly $24, but I got one of last years colors for $12. Yippee! I'm with you though. I don't like to wear things on my feet unless they make my feet feel good. Tevas do. Below is a link to the style I'm talking about. There are many colors to choose from. Hope this helps!

http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.aspx?g=w&categoryID=426&productID=6840&model=Olowahu

"flip-flops"...flat little things you slip your feet into, right? Ok, those are just going to be cheap, and they are not going to support your feet in any way. They're just good for protecting your feet from hot or uneven surfaces.

I cannot wear "cheap." I do have a pair of Fit-Flops, which I bought last year when my plantar fascitis (sp?) was at its worst, and they are very comfortable; I think they were around $20. Otherwise, I wear sandals with more support, such as Tevas. Or Merrels. Or any other shoe which obviously has much more support than a flip-flop (and is much more expensive!). I have to say that my feet are 100% better this summer than last, but I have spent a truckload of money :eek:. Anyway, there are shoes which are less constricting but are better for your feet.

I'm a barefoot girl, too, and wearing shoes all.the.time this past year has been a major bummer. However, pain like knives in my feet when I walked was a great motivator, lol. I can go barefoot now when I'm in the house. Woohoo! But I will still buy expensive shoes for when I have to wear the things. And I'll probably buy another pair of Fit-flops this year, maybe something that's a little snazzy. :-)

Chaco Flips are amazing..... I need to wear expensive shoes (so own very few pair :D). I live in my Chaco Flips as much of the year as possible. The arch support is fantastic (for me anyway). I purchased them on sale at REI for around $40.00. That was two years ago. I am hoping to pick up another pair this summer in a different color :001_smile:. I can't wear the cheapy flip flops because they hurt my feet and exacerbate spine problems BUT I can wear the Chaco Flips for hours.

Here's a link: http://www.rei.com/product/707200

I have the same problem with my hips. I just bought these with a deal from Eversave. http://www.okabashi.com/Women-Products/b/2359392011

The reviews talked about these being the only flip flops some Dr's recommend, etc. I wore them a for a couple of days straight though and I won't do that again. It definitely made my hip pain worse. A quick google and I found....http://arthritis.about.com/od/foot/a/flip-flops.htm.

So I just can't wear them as much as I would like. :-(

I know it stinks, but I would switch to sandals that strap on, including a heel strap. :(

Wearing flipflops hurts my feet and legs too much, but sandals give nearly as much foot exposure and I can walk all day in them. :)

Try a pair of crocs :D - I have terrible feet and they're the only things that I can wear without being OUCH all the time.

(I can't even put flip flops ON - the little thing that goes between your toes? my thumb toes are very slanted toward the next ones and it HURTS to stick that thing in between there!)

Check out Birkenstocks. Great support. Lots of folks find the support they need with chronic problems. Spendy though. But they feel great!

I have 3 pairs of Birks that I've had since college. Lately, though, they just aren't as comfortable - and yes, I've had at least one pair re-corked and re-soled. I'm one of those "hippy homeschoolers" :D

Try a pair of crocs :D - I have terrible feet and they're the only things that I can wear without being OUCH all the time.

(I can't even put flip flops ON - the little thing that goes between your toes? my thumb toes are very slanted toward the next ones and it HURTS to stick that thing in between there!)

So sorry, but I am not a crocs girl. Can't stand the things!

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! I'll be shopping around later tonight :)

Check out Birkenstocks. Great support. Lots of folks find the support they need with chronic problems. Spendy though. But they feel great!

:iagree:

I love my Birkenstocks. I can't do plain ol' flips. I am going to check out some of the other kinds mentioned though, just for variety. :D

ETA: I would spend what I needed to so that my feet/hips don't hurt. I can't deal with that anymore.

Edited by 3lilreds in NC

I just bought a new pair of flip flops yesterday. I only buy Teva flip flops because they are very soft and feel like I'm walking on a cloud. I've seen them at Famous Footwear' date=' Cabela's, sporting goods stores...I bought mine from a local water sports shop.

They are regularly $24, but I got one of last years colors for $12. Yippee! I'm with you though. I don't like to wear things on my feet unless they make my feet feel good. Tevas do. Below is a link to the style I'm talking about. There are many colors to choose from. Hope this helps!

http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.aspx?g=w&categoryID=426&productID=6840&model=Olowahu[/quote']

:iagree:My very favorite flip flops ever.

I bought a pair of Rainbow flip flops on clearance a few weeks ago for $10 (normally $50). I think they will be comfortable and they're supposed to last a long time. The only thing I don't like about them is that the footbed is leather and sometimes it feels like my foot is slipping around.

I have a pair of Teva flip flops too. Bought them on sale at least 3 years ago, wear them regularly, and they're still comfy and in good condition.

I'm not sure I'd pay full price for them, but they were certainly worth the sale price.

(Mine are actually a men's pattern, not the ones previously linked, which are much prettier!)

Edited by ocelotmom

Flip flops are year-round footwear where I live. I'm picky about the part that goes between your toes, and cheap flip flops usually have toe separators that that are too thick. They irritate my skin and cause blisters. I can only wear the kind with cloth separators, so Birkenstocks are out. In fact, theirss have exactly the kind of separator I can't stand.

I usually buy my flip flops at Ron Jon's or another surf shop. They tend to have the more comfortable type. I pay $15-25 dollars for them. They get wet and sandy, and are generally put through a lot. They last me about a year.

I have these in green and black:

www.backcountry.com/keen-bali-sandal-womens

They aren't quite flip flops, but they make the slapping sound when you walk. (I always notice this in summer, at the library. lol). They feel comfortable and secure, with a nice foot bed. Keen also makes a traditional flip flop with the same sturdy sole. I have had mine for several years, so it wasn't wasted money.

I would never, ever wear flip flops. They are HORRIBLE for your feet, toes, ankles, and hips.

My oldest came from an orphanage where all the kids ever had for shoes were flip-flops. She is a flip-flop addict, and it drives me insane. I refuse to allow my other kids to wear them.

If you have hip issues or arthritis (I have arthritis in one of my big toes), I would recommend looking at a pair of Vibram FiveFingers. I would shun flip-flops like the bubonic plague.

Tara

I'm really tired of buying cheap, "cute" flops every year that hurt my feet and hips to wear them. I have chronic hip issues and was diagnosed with arthritis 2 years ago (and I'm not even 40 yet!!) but I LOVE going barefoot and wearing flops in the summer.

any thoughts??

Shannon

I was a die-hard Crocs fan until they hurt me. My arch got stressed and I had to see a podiatrist and wear lifts for a couple months. My Dh says, "That's the end of Crocs for you!"

I'm going back to my birkenstocks. They were my mainstay before Crocs.

Those five fingers are uglier than Crocs IMO. :tongue_smilie:

I don't wear flip flops except at the pool. Mine were Nike brand and were around $25-30.

DD12 lives in flip flops. She usually has 2 pair, one in each spring and summer that are $25+ each. She is a very, very active person so a cheap pair from Old Navy, won't last her but a few weeks. She is picky about her shoes anyways (narrow foot/high arch), so I don't mind buying her shoes that are both comfortable and will last a few months.

I would never, ever wear flip flops. They are HORRIBLE for your feet, toes, ankles, and hips.

My oldest came from an orphanage where all the kids ever had for shoes were flip-flops. She is a flip-flop addict, and it drives me insane. I refuse to allow my other kids to wear them.

If you have hip issues or arthritis (I have arthritis in one of my big toes), I would recommend looking at a pair of Vibram FiveFingers. I would shun flip-flops like the bubonic plague.

Tara

I've seen the FiveFingers before. How can you wear them? I had to give my toe socks to my daughter because they hurt my toes too much, and they are a lot thinner than the shoes.

To answer the OP, finances here are such that I can only buy the cheap ones. I spend $5-$7 tops. I'd buy the $1 ones at Walmart (do for the kids) but the rubber hurts too much.

A couple of years ago, while on a trip to Universal Studios, I was developing horrible blisters and could barely stand to walk. I ducked into a little store that sold shoes and bought a pair of Sanuk flip-flops. The price was crazy for flip-flops (or so I thought at the time...), but the clerk assured me these were some of the most comfortable shoes ever. The footbeds are made of the material used for yoga mats--very cushy, not at all like typical flip-flops.

So, I paid my almost $30, threw my old shoes in the bag, put the Sanuk's on, and, it was heavenly! Extremely comfortable and easy to walk in. I was able to keep up with my kids for the rest of our trip.

I've since bought another pair and I wear them often.

I have these: Fitflops. I got them last summer, and I LOVE them! I have Achilles tendonitis, and these flipflops have plenty of support and cushioning. I have even worn them to the zoo, and walked for hours in comfort. The ones I have are bronze color, slightly metallic, so they look nice with jeans and a cute top as well as being casual with shorts in the summer. I'm getting a lot of wear out of them here in Arizona!

Wendi

I have these: Fitflops. I got them last summer, and I LOVE them! I have Achilles tendonitis, and these flipflops have plenty of support and cushioning. I have even worn them to the zoo, and walked for hours in comfort. The ones I have are bronze color, slightly metallic, so they look nice with jeans and a cute top as well as being casual with shorts in the summer. I'm getting a lot of wear out of them here in Arizona!

Wendi

Ooh, yes! I also love my Fitflops. And, they come in so many more new colors/designs since they first came out. I have these now---but paid less locally.

Tara

I have a friend who seriously hurt her foot running in those shoes. :( She called the company and they said it's because modern foot isn't used to being barefoot. :confused: She bought the ones meant for running so that was an odd answer. They did refund her money so they stand by their product.

I couldn't get them to fit on my wide foot. My big toe is too big. :lol:

I have a friend who seriously hurt her foot running in those shoes. :( She called the company and they said it's because modern foot isn't used to being barefoot. :confused: She bought the ones meant for running so that was an odd answer. They did refund her money so they stand by their product.

I couldn't get them to fit on my wide foot. My big toe is too big. :lol:

It's actually true, though. Modern shoes mold feet and lead to probably most of the foot problems we are prone to. To some extent one can retrain the ligaments and tendons, but it takes time and care. I've gone out of my way to ensure that in the early years DD didn't have confining shoes--leather moccasins, preschoolians, etc. until she started developing her own strong opinions about footwear. I also encourage her to go barefoot as much as possible.

For myself, I have foot problems ameliorated only by going bare, or by having VERY flexible soles with minimal or no arch support. Since I can't afford the shoes that would be best for this (vibrams), I wore aqua socks with gel insoles to work for a long time. I finally found and broke in a pair of tennis shoes that work for me, and I have a pair of sandals that don't hurt my feet.

Haven't worn flips in years except as shower shoes.

Last summer our Marshall's had them for $10! I haven't seen them this year. :>(

I have seen them for $5.99 - now I am not saying they are going to last beyond three days...I can't wear them - not enough support for my back. Hope you find a nice pair for a nice price.

I buy a pair of Speedo's from Sam's Club each year. They are some kind of smooshy material that forms to my feet and very comfy! I think they are a little over $10.

I saw those at Sam's the last time I was there but they didn't have my size :(

I pay $75 for Ugg's Layback flip flops. They are leather, very well made, and have a sheepskin lining under the "V." That keeps my feet dry and comfy. I have three pairs in different colors and they have lasted for years so well worth the money to me. You can get them at Zappos.com and on sale sometimes at 6pm.com (I think that's Zappos outlet store).

http://www.zappos.com/ugg-layback-brandy-leather

Those are super-cute but I can't justify spending that much.

Tara

DH tried those for running and they didn't work out so well. Off topic, he's now trying the Merrill Trail Gloves and likes them better. It's hard to re-train your feet to run on the balls of your feet instead of the heels, but it's supposed to be much better for your body in general. Think of all those Kenyans running marathons barefooted!

I think I could comfortably spend about $30 if they fit right and lasted a long time. I'll check out the tevas and I'd love to find some Chaco flips on sale somewhere.

any thoughts??

Shannon

Rainbows! I pay between $40-50 for them, but they are worth it. Mine will last about 6-7 years, and I wear them LITERALLY 9 months a year, almost every day. I can stand in them for hours, and my feet never hurt.

"flip-flops"...flat little things you slip your feet into, right? Ok, those are just going to be cheap, and they are not going to support your feet in any way. They're just good for protecting your feet from hot or uneven surfaces.

I cannot wear "cheap." I do have a pair of Fit-Flops, which I bought last year when my plantar fascitis (sp?) was at its worst, and they are very comfortable; I think they were around $20. Otherwise, I wear sandals with more support, such as Tevas. Or Merrels. Or any other shoe which obviously has much more support than a flip-flop (and is much more expensive!). I have to say that my feet are 100% better this summer than last, but I have spent a truckload of money :eek:. Anyway, there are shoes which are less constricting but are better for your feet.

I'm a barefoot girl, too, and wearing shoes all.the.time this past year has been a major bummer. However, pain like knives in my feet when I walked was a great motivator, lol. I can go barefoot now when I'm in the house. Woohoo! But I will still buy expensive shoes for when I have to wear the things. And I'll probably buy another pair of Fit-flops this year, maybe something that's a little snazzy. :-)

Listen to Ellie.

When you have foot, leg, back or other related pain, don't wear anything on your feet that isn't going to support you properly. You're just asking for more hurt. My dh has plantar fasciitis and seeing him in the pain he in sometimes make ME hurt!! Proper shoes and fitted inserts solved his problems for the most part. If I had pain issues, you can bet that the first thing I'd do is spend GOOD money on GOOD shoes. For casual summer shoes, I'd go up to $100 if I could rely on it to last at least a couple of years.

I live in Florida as of January and LIVE in flip flops. I'm not aware of another kind of shoe. Is there another kind of shoe?

My favorite buys this year have been:

Nike Comfort- $28:

http://www.zappos.com/nike-comfort-thong-dark-cinder-pale-blue-birch

Teva Mandalyn Wedge (slightly platform heel- a little taller)- 2-pack for $44:

http://www.zappos.com/teva-mandalyn-wedge-2-pack-motif-blackout-andante-kimono

I love Teva Mush as well, but I am short and the Mandalyn helps me be a bit taller (I'm 5'3" on a tall day and dh is 6'1" on a short day, so the extra inches help me not feel so shrimpy).

OH- and I wear the Nike Comfort to Disney parks an average of one day a week- my feet don't hurt in them! You walk crazy amounts at Disney parks, so that's saying something! I wore some Target flip flops there one day and wanted to die. Never again!

I cannot live without my Teva flip flops. I buy myself a new pair every summer, even though I will continue to wear my old pair as well. I usually get 2 years out of them. They are so incredibly comfortable. My mom just bought some for ds1, and he says he's never going to wear anything else!

I don't wear cheap flip flops, but I love Tevas and have owned several pair of their foam-y flip flops over the years. You know that now I'm suffering with plantar fasciitis. I credit much of that pain to my love for Teva. :) I got some Chacos last summer and imo they aren't as comfy as the Tevas, but if they keep my feet from pain, I'll stick with them.

As much as I've wanted the weather warm-up, I started to wonder what I was going to do about shoes because my feet have felt so much better wearing the Super Feet inserts in my running shoes. And I for sure don't want to wear those all summer long!

ETA: My Chacos are the EcoTread. And THANK you to KandBP! Sale at 6pm.com is a GOOD thing!

Edited by TN Mama