Menu

If I host an event, can I ask ppl to take off their shoes when they come in?

So I'm hosting this event and will have a bunch of ppl over. It's okay to ask them all to take off their shoes, isn't it? I mean . . . you never know where they've been walking, right?

April Fools!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy April Fools Day, Everyone!

I don't get it, is this some kind of inside joke? Around here it is very common for houses to have a sign asking people to please remove their shoes when they come in...

Yea. Kind of. This is one of those subjects that usually leads to a very heated discussion. People feel very strongly about this one!!! (Just don't get anyone started on crock pots!! LOL)

I don't get it, is this some kind of inside joke? Around here it is very common for houses to have a sign asking people to please remove their shoes when they come in...

Not too uncommon by me, either. Someone might have a sign on the door saying "Please come in and remove shoes" if they're hosting a playdate or some such.

I don't ask guests to take their shoes off, but I've never been even remotely bothered or offended by being asked to do so at someone else's house. Some people prefer it, some don't. It's no biggie either way. I can't imagine having strong feelings about it one way or another lol.

I saw the title of this thread and just thought, "Oh, NOOOO!! Not again." For those that didn't get the joke there was a very heated thread a while ago about this very topic. You got me this morning. :001_smile:

a heated thread about a request to take off shoes? :confused: interesting. . .

So I'm hosting this event and will have a bunch of ppl over. It's okay to ask them all to take off their shoes, isn't it? I mean . . . you never know where they've been walking, right?

April Fools!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy April Fools Day, Everyone!

OMG You totally got me! I thought NO WAY! :lol:

Ha! You TOTALLY had me. I do have an acquaintance or two who do this - really ASK people to take off their shoes when they come in. I love to wear shoes and feel weird walking around without them. In Ukraine, not only were you expected to take off your shoes but either have some slippers with you to wear, or you would be given slippers at the door. Didn't particularly like it, but went along with it.

Ha! You TOTALLY had me. I do have an acquaintance or two who do this - really ASK people to take off their shoes when they come in. I love to wear shoes and feel weird walking around without them. In Ukraine, not only were you expected to take off your shoes but either have some slippers with you to wear, or you would be given slippers at the door. Didn't particularly like it, but went along with it.

And if you lived in our neck of the woods you wouldn't ever have to ask people to take off their shoes - they'd just do it automatically. But we don't hand out slippers :)

And if you lived in our neck of the woods you wouldn't ever have to ask people to take off their shoes - they'd just do it automatically. But we don't hand out slippers :)

Here too! When I read the OP, I thought, "You have to ask??" :lol:

Have them stack their shoes in a shopping cart by the door, then come in to share in your crockpot buffet. Make sure that someone is policing the meatloaf! And be sure to have sweaters to hand out to anyone not dressing quite modestly enough. . . :D

:biggrinjester:

:smilielol5:

I saw the title of this thread and just thought, "Oh, NOOOO!! Not again." For those that didn't get the joke there was a very heated thread a while ago about this very topic. You got me this morning. :001_smile:

:iagree:

good one!

But I've been thinking a lot about shopping carts lately. Hmmm... maybe I'll start a thread.

Here it is! This thread was classic.

Oh--and you SO got me! I couldn't believe it when I saw your title!

I can't believe there was such a fight over shoes. :laugh:

I also can't believe that there are so many places where it's normal to wear shoes in the house… it's not anywhere I've lived… I can't even imagine how that would work in the winter (snow boots?) or the spring (mud! mud! everywhere!) -- there must be a lot of wrecked carpets! :tongue_smilie:

Wow this is a controversial issue?? LOL! I thought it was just my mom and I who fight over that!! I'm a strict shoes OFF kind of girl. My mom thinks that is inhospitable and anal and says so. Then I sit back and gloat when I'm at her house and she is grumbling about sweeping and vacuuming. lol!

You pot-stirrer! :lol:

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................

Have them stack their shoes in a shopping cart by the door, then come in to share in your crockpot buffet. Make sure that someone is policing the meatloaf! And be sure to have sweaters to hand out to anyone not dressing quite modestly enough. . . :D

;):lol::lol::lol:

I also can't believe that there are so many places where it's normal to wear shoes in the house… it's not anywhere I've lived… I can't even imagine how that would work in the winter (snow boots?) or the spring (mud! mud! everywhere!) -- there must be a lot of wrecked carpets! :tongue_smilie:

In my ideal world we would be like Mr. Rogers and change into house shoes. I even bought a pair of sneakers for that purpose. I can't get anyone else to cooperate though, and my floors get tons of paper, food and cat hair on them anyway so I don't really know how much difference it would make.

Yes, but warn them in advance that Ken Ham will be speaking, and Peter Ennis will be reviewing his Bible curiculium.

:lol: Jean, you crack me up.