Menu

Do you like bread pudding? No? Yes? Read my post before you vote, please!

Tell me what you think about bread pudding!  

1. 1. Tell me what you think about bread pudding!

• I've tried it and I like it.
    • I've tried it and I don't like it.
    • I've never tried it, but I would be willing to.
    • I've never tried it, and won't, because it sounds disgusting.
    • I'd try a version called Chocolate Bread Pudding.
    • I'd try a version called "Chocolate Fudge Pudding Cake."
    • I wouldn't try a chocolate version no matter what you called it--it still sounds gross!
    • I don't eat dessert.
    • Other (just in case!).

Until I started making bread pudding as part of my professional responsibilities, I thought it sounded really disgusting, and would not have volunteered to eat any. It helped me, when I started making it, to think of it as a "french toast casserole" served warm with creme anglaise. That's what it tastes like, only better than I ever dreamed. :drool5:

So, I'm wondering what *you* think of bread pudding?

I'm thinking of making a very chocolatey version, and I'm very sure it's going to be absolutely *to die for*. Would you try it?

You can vote for more than one selection in the poll.

Thanks!

Edited by Julie in CA

If I were at your house and you served it, I'm sure I would love it.

However, we don't eat out a lot these days, and order dessert even less, and so far I haven't been in a situation where bread pudding was the most attractive dessert on the menu.

ETA: So I voted other, because although I would be willing to try it, I don't think I would ever order it from a menu.

E (again)TA: I might order the chocolate fudge pudding, but only if there were nothing in the description that would reveal that it was bread pudding. Or, you know, there was nothing else chocolate.

Edited by Melinda in VT

I think bread pudding might be one of the greatest desserts ever in the history of the entire human civilization. I'm not a huge chocolate person, but I'd definately try chocolate bread pudding before chocolate fudge pudding cake. That sounds entirely too over the top chocolate for me.

Okay, here's my explanation to my choice of "other":

Love bread pudding. But NOT with Bourbon/whiskey sauce. It's rum sauce, hard sauce or nothing. Or I could do an Amaretto sauce. Yes, that actually sounds really good to me!

Love chocolate chips in it, especially with almonds. BUT these little chips must remain distinct bits of tastiness. Not chocolate all blended it.

I used to make bread pudding all the time. I think next time I will make it with chocolate chips, almonds, toasted coconut and an Amaretto sauce...:lol:

Love it.

I used to work at a hotel that made bread pudding from chocolate croissants at its Sunday brunch. The catering manager would always set aside a little plate for me because she knew I liked it so much. Made working Sundays so much more pleasant.

Tried it because I had a bunch of stalish bread. The family loved it. I've used bread that came out of the bread machine too dry, and it's worked wonderfully. You can even have it for breakfast! :D Vanilla sauce is a great sauce to use for the children, but my dh prefers whiskey sauce.

For those who vote that they wouldn't try the chocolate version:

So if you were in a restaurant and they had "Chocolate Fudge Pudding Cake", you wouldn't try that? Forget the part where you already know that there's bread in it. :tongue_smilie:

I *might* order that... and then be annoyed when I discovered that it was, actually, chocolate bread pudding. ;)

I *might* order that... and then be annoyed when I discovered that it was, actually, chocolate bread pudding. ;)

Here's the thing though--I'm pretty sure you'll never realize this has bread in it. :001_smile:

ETA: I'm a professional! That simply means that I'm an expert in making possibly healthy food into completely unhealthy options. ;-)

I'm pretty sure I've seen a Barefoot Contessa recipe that involves both chocolate AND croissants... and hey, Amaretto, too, now that I think about it!

I'm going to find that recipe and make it on a day dh is out of town and dd is off visiting friends for the day.

I voted "other". You knew someone would.

I used to LOVE my grandmother's bread pudding as a child. She passed away about 20 years ago. Knowing how much I love it, my mom used Grandma's recipe to make me some about two years ago. I was not impressed with the bread pudding. I don't know if my taste has changed, Mom did something different, I remembered Grandma's pudding more fondly than I should have, or it had something to do with being pregnant at the time.

Oh, and I've never had it with raisins it, but that would definitely make it a huge turn off for me. I've also never had it with bananas or any kind of chocolate.

My husband LLLOOOVVEEESSS bread pudding!

I like it. I have had banana/chocolate/raisins in it bread pudding and all were yummy. I like raisins...my only issue is that if something has raisins in it then I also expect nuts. :lol:

I can't eat milk but if there was a non-dairy bread pudding near me I would eat it.

Edited by Sis

I don't like English style bread pudding and chocolate wouldn't improve it, for me. However, I used to have a bread pudding recipe and the sauce included onion and tomato. That cookbook disappeared so I never got to perfect the bread part of the recipe, but the sauce was amazing.

Rosie

I don't understand the wording of your poll. "tried it and like it" ??? How about "tried it and loved it so much that if I had to choose between dh and bread pudding, dh would be history". (Note: dh feels the same way. He would choose bread pudding over me).

Honestly, we'd eat bread pudding every day of our lives if I didn't think it would kill us. So we eat it about twice a year.

I *might* order that... and then be annoyed when I discovered that it was, actually, chocolate bread pudding.

Here's the thing though--I'm pretty sure you'll never realize this has bread in it. :001_smile:

ETA: I'm a professional! That simply means that I'm an expert in making possibly healthy food into completely unhealthy options. ;-)

You think you can fool me eh? :p

Okay maybe you could....I'm just stubborn and want my bread pudding to be just the way my grandmother & mother make it. NO CHOCOLATE. :tongue_smilie:

I'm going to find that recipe and make it on a day dh is out of town and dd is off visiting friends for the day.

... it really would be me and a pan of bread pudding all by myself.

I don't necessarily see this as a *bad* scenario...:lol:

Oh glory, I *love* bread pudding!!

DH, poor guy, won't try it because he thinks it looks/sounds gross.:confused:

I think I will be making some French Toast Casserole soon, though, and see what he says about that "new" recipe :D

Chocolate Bread Pudding sounds lovely.

Dang, now I'm hungry. :tongue_smilie:

I absolutely love bread pudding. My mouth is watering just thinking of some - of course I'm fasting today and shouldn't be reading about bread pudding....

Chocolate isn't my favorite, but I'd still eat it. I like it made out of cinnamon raisin bread or cinnamon roles. Yum!

Chocolate doesn't hurt my feelings, but the kind I liked best was something my ex made from WW bread, kheer, and cinnamon. It is hard to go wrong with kheer and dessert in the same sentence. Of course, I made the kheer. I read a whole novel making it and remaking it one day, until I had it "down". Endless stirring and the perfect heat required.

So the thing with bread pudding that I think is not so great is the texture - too mushy. Have I just been eating bad bread pudding or is it always this way?

It shouldn't be mushy. It's all about the bread, though, so if you make it with squishy white bread then it will be nasty, but if you make it with quality day-old bakery bread it will be awesome. I prefer it with raisins. And I'd have the chocolate, but I'd prefer it without - I think it's overkill. And I too would be annoyed if it was called something else - bread pudding is bread pudding - be upfront about it and let folks choose for themselves.

I tried it ...once.

And then I asked my husband,

"Hey, how did you make this? Wasn't our bread moldy?"

and he said.... "Only a little."

:eek: :ack2:

....and I haven't had it since.

Ack! I don't blame you.