Menu

Babies at conventions? Help!!!

I have to say that I was very thankful that you made an announcement at the beginning of your talks (I was at the Saturday 8:30am and 11:30am talks) asking parents to take noisy children out and for everyone to turn off their cell phones. Yours was the only talk I went to where crying babies and ringing cell phones were not a problem. Sad, but true.

I love the idea of a "hired tough." I'd have volunteered if I'd known that you needed one. Minus that, I would like to have the speaker say something rather than to let it continue. My youngest is now 7, but I would hope that someone would say something to me if my child were disruptive. When they were babies, I got very good at tuning them out and may not have realized if they were getting loud so someone kindly asking me to remove them would have been helpful. Having the speaker do this would have been embarrassing, but I'd live. :)

Of course, bringing a precocious 10 year old who hasn't mastered public etiquette can be useful. :) I was about to ask the woman behind me in one talk to please take her baby out since I could not hear the speaker at all when my 10yo son leaned over and "whispered" to me, "Mom, isn't that baby loud? Why doesn't she take her outside?" The woman heard and took the baby outside. *blush* I wish it hadn't happened that way, but...

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the opening statement should be more concise than "noisy". Too many people translate that to crying, and ignore little Johnny moving about loudly (stomping feet or whatever), banging his sippy in the table, and screeching laughing.

Maybe saying, "Babies are welcome, but should they start to cry please remove them. Also, much as we love happy little ones, please remove them if they start to talk loudly, play loudly or burst from lack of energy let off."

That is my peeve. Most people seem to leave events when their dc cried, but completely ignore how loud their little darling is otherwise. Yes, he is being well behaved, but I still can't hear over him.

As for giving someone the boot.. Well I would just interrupt myself and say, "I'm sorry. Can everyone hear me okay, I'm not sure I can keep my voice and speak louder and the speaker system can only be so loud."

Hint. Hint. Maybe if only the people around the loud source speak up with pointed looks in her direction, they will get the hint?

*I* would appreciate the boldness of a speaker to stop and address the mother with a crying baby.

:iagree:

Obviously it's ideal if there is a convention person in charge of the room who can handle this so that the speaker doesn't lose her train of thought, and also so it doesn't get recorded ... but failing that, I think, Susan, you should not hesitate to show your exasperation (and how the disruption affects the entire audience). It's obvious from your original post that you've had it up to here! (And then we will all lose, if you limit your speaking engagements. I had the honor of hearing you and your mother -- separate years -- in Modesto!)

This is a bit extreme, but boy, was it effective: a speaker we heard a few years ago -- not sure, but I think it may have been Roger Rees doing a monologue -- said at the outset in no uncertain terms that he was sick and tired of being interrupted by cell phones ringing, it made him completely lose his train of thought, etc., and that the first time a cell phone rang during his show he was DONE. He would simply walk off the stage. You can be sure that after shelling out the big bucks for tickets, we double- and triple-checked that our phones were off! :D I'm not suggesting you do this, Susan, and of course a crying baby is different from a cell phone that was left on, but my point is that we all sympathized with him -- we didn't want the show to be disrupted either, and we didn't want him to be interrupted. I would just be blunt, and not say (as some people have suggested) that it's for the sake of the recording ... :001_smile:

~Laura

Guest Dulcimeramy

The Indiana convention used to not even allow babies.

I always thought that was harsh and a little high-handed, but I was operating on the assumption that people would use their church-going manners and take out fussy babies.

It would really stink if hs conventions had to go back to being child-free just because some folks are clueless. I would rather let a Room Hostess play the heavy and teach people how to act.

I don't think the speaker or the other audience members should be responsible for this problem at all. One is trying to talk, and the others are trying to hear. Also, what if Mama Clueless started arguing with the other guests who shushed her, or crying or carrying on toward the speaker out of embarrassment at being called out from the podium?

Better to have a designated Room Hostess.

Oh, and Susan, on a personal note, about that "not being conservative enough" problem. BTDT

I was recently disinvited to dissect with a homeschool co-op that was looking for someone with some science expertise to help them shore up their offerings. Well, I hesitantly agreed to it because this group is known for being rather exclusive. Their problem with me is that they "heard through the grapevine" that we have a Wii Fit Plus and allow our children to do the yoga. They just can't risk such a dangerous influence on their children. When I asked what on earth they were talking about it, it was made clear that I might indoctrinate the children in eastern, polytheistic, paganism.

My response was slightly, ummmm, not particularly p.c. Given what corners my brain went to it was also not nearly as harsh as it could have been. :tongue_smilie:

But, it doesn't end there. Oh no....they found someone else to lead the dissecting, however, this person did not own enough equipment. The director had the nerve to call and ask to borrow our pans and tools!

Faith

1) You parents who come without babies: what do you wish would happen when a baby keeps crying? If the speaker stopped and threw them out, would your gratitude overwhelm your discomfort?

I appreciate it when procedures are in place to remove noisemakers. My gratitude certainly overcomes the awkwardness of the situation. I attended a session where a speaker stopped and threw a very noisy baby and her mother out. I have also attended sessions where a speaker directs a bouncer to remove a noisemaker. My favorite conferences are where the bouncer quietly handles the situation himself. In comparing the various experiences, the speaker who stopped and handled the situation herself dealt much more gracefully with the noisemaker than the speakers who've directed a bouncer to remove someone. She simply stopped and said, "I'm so sorry. I'm having problems concentrating. I hope that you'll be able to purchase the audio so that you don't miss the rest of this lecture."

2) You parents WITH babies: how would you hope that this would be handled, if you were the owner of the noisy infant?,

I hope that I would be gracious enough to remove myself from the room before my child's noise became a problem. I would be embarrassed if someone tapped my shoulder and asked me to step out, but if they did it discreetly and graciously, I would not be offended.

I agree with the others who have suggested getting a bouncer. In your opening remarks you could share your love of babies & small ones, empathize with those who have traveled a long distance and paid good money to attend, explain that noise makes it difficult to keep your train of thought, and point out your bouncer who will help individuals gather their things and quietly exit when their baby begins to fuss.

To the pre-workshop announcement you could add a statement like:

"Because this presentation is being recorded, a quality control volunteer is present in the room (point her out, have her wave). If, during the presentation, she taps you on the shoulder, it means your disruptive child is affecting the recording process. If your shoulder is tapped, you are expected to leave the room quietly and not return until your child is quietly settled."

Perhaps that would let them know you mean business, your bouncer is acting with your authority, and make the event less disruptive over all.

I like this a lot. Get the signs on the outside doors about noisy babies, have some hanging up in the room you are speaking in, and do the above.

I would never, ever, ever, ever give out chocolate or cds of your talk. I don't see rewarding people for being thoughtless or rude, much less at your expense. Worse you will set a precedence and those kinds of people will start to expect that of other workshops they attend.

A parent bringing a baby should already be aware that they may miss out on something because that's just the way life is with babies!

But, it doesn't end there. Oh no....they found someone else to lead the dissecting, however, this person did not own enough equipment. The director had the nerve to call and ask to borrow our pans and tools!

Seriously, that is cra-zay. What did you say to that?

I didn't read all of the responses, but at one breastfeeding conference I attended years ago they had a smaller separate room for moms with loud babies that had an audio-visual feed on to a big screen so the moms could still watch and listen to the lecture. That way the mom didn't miss anything but the loud baby didn't disrupt the whole thing. They announced the existence of the room right off so all the moms knew it was available.

My dh, in his deranged, bronchitis challenged, mind, says.....

"But, honey. You can't recommend to SWB that she give away free chocolate for women who leave with noisy children! Someone will open a booth called, "Rent a baby", so that those sans children can go to the seminar and horn in on the candy and cd's!!! You know how much you women like chocolate."

He has been shushed from the room and I told him to be very careful for the next two days because I might slip something into his tea.

I almost asked him if he'd like his own board identity, but then hastily decided that Bill, Barry, Reguheert, AND my husband, might be a lethal combination for us to handle! :D

Faith

"Because this presentation is being recorded, a quality control volunteer is present in the room (point her out, have her wave). If, during the presentation, she taps you on the shoulder, it means your disruptive child is affecting the recording process. If your shoulder is tapped, you are expected to leave the room quietly and not return until your child is quietly settled."

Perhaps that would let them know you mean business, your bouncer is acting with your authority, and make the event less disruptive over all.

That sounds perfect and ideally you would have baby section in the back so your "bouncer" has easy access to them.

Oh, and Susan, on a personal note, about that "not being conservative enough" problem. BTDT

I was recently disinvited to dissect with a homeschool co-op that was looking for someone with some science expertise to help them shore up their offerings. Well, I hesitantly agreed to it because this group is known for being rather exclusive. Their problem with me is that they "heard through the grapevine" that we have a Wii Fit Plus and allow our children to do the yoga. They just can't risk such a dangerous influence on their children. When I asked what on earth they were talking about it, it was made clear that I might indoctrinate the children in eastern, polytheistic, paganism.

My response was slightly, ummmm, not particularly p.c. Given what corners my brain went to it was also not nearly as harsh as it could have been. :tongue_smilie:

Faith

Oh my. I just had a lovely three minutes composing possible responses to a request like that. Mostly centered on suggesting what uses the pans and tools might have been put to, rendering them unsuitable for use in her dissection class. Seriously.

:lol::svengo::smilielol5::willy_nilly:

I always thought that was harsh and a little high-handed, but I was operating on the assumption that people would use their church-going manners and take out fussy babies.

It would really stink if hs conventions had to go back to being child-free just because some folks are clueless. I would rather let a Room Hostess play the heavy and teach people how to act.

I don't think the speaker or the other audience members should be responsible for this problem at all. One is trying to talk, and the others are trying to hear. Also, what if Mama Clueless started arguing with the other guests who shushed her, or crying or carrying on toward the speaker out of embarrassment at being called out from the podium?

The Indiana Convention changed that last year and allowed children. Parents brought their kids and did not take them out! It was unreal. I was at Andrew Pudewas talk and it was extremely disruptive. So many people were annoyed and turning around to see what the problem was.

"The pans are atheists. When I'm there, I can keep them quiet, but I can't be sure they'll listen to you."

or

"The pans should be fine, but the tools are definitely polytheistic. They worship whetstone, soap and water. I'm forever having to shush them."

"No, I'm sorry. I could not possibly lend my dissection tools to a group of people who are clearly so unintelligent that they can't manage to fathom the immense rudeness of the request under the circumstances that they have created. It would be unconscienable. It takes care, precision, and logical thinking to dissect properly. I'm afraid some of you may be seriously injured!"

Now, I'm not very proud of that. Really, I'm not. In my own defense, my children were sick with bronchitis and I was coming down with it. I doubt that I was thinking properly. I'd already made clear, in a gentle, p.c., Christian way, how I felt about their judgmental statements. I do believe in the Golden Rule. So, this was definitely not a moment to be proud of for sure.

So, in case anyone ever wonders, Ole Faithy here, she can get a little riled from time to time!

Faith

For smaller, more private venues, can you have a note that one the front says very nicely

:for the mom with crying baby: (this way it can be passed down an aisle and end up at the intended target)

and on the inside have a note asking them to leave, and that if they mail this note with to you, you will send them a transcript of the lecture. The note can be the order form. By handing them a note, you will not have to speak on the tape.

If you let people know ahead of time, that if they leave without your asking them, they can approach you after the lecture for the same card but instead of a transcript, they will receive an audio file. That may be a bit of an incentive to leave without being asked.

Like a previous poster said, about their child making happy noises, it isn't just a crying baby that needs to be addressed, it is any noise that goes on for more than 15-30 seconds. I know that dd12 could really scream when she was a baby. If she was chattering, quietly fussing/stirring around, my noise radar may not have gone off, because she wasn't in a full scream. She was never quiet so I blocked out a lot of her less obnoxious noises. :blushing:

Background: I have 3 children, all of whom nursed until they were 2 1/2. My dh deployed a couple of times when my kids were little. I lived far, far from any family members. So, I did take my babies everywhere. I was a LLLLeader and have seen many, MANY babies in conferences in that context. Noisy babies are almost always expected to be removed from a situation where people are paying attention to a speaker. It's true in church, in LLL meetings and so forth.

I think the suggestion from Danestress is a good one. Remind people up front-please put your phones on vibrate, please remove crying babies, remember that this talk is being taped. I would not mind if a speaker stopped and said "I'm sorry, would you please take the baby out, this is being recorded." It's directive, but still polite.

I would take my baby out. I would not be surprised to be kicked out of a place if I was letting my baby cry over a speaker.

I won't be there in Cincy, but I will be in SC. And I don't mind being bossy and direct, as you probably know. ;)

I've seen this in church:

Pastor stops and asks, "Is the baby okay? He sounds unhappy?"

The mom quickly stepped out. No one's feelings were hurt.

But to be more direct, I'd add, "Maybe he needs a walk out in the hallway. That always worked for mine. Please don't worry, we'll have handouts that you can pick up later to cover the section you missed."

Now that the Over-mind has alerted the Hive that she is not at all amused by crying babies I have to think any parent of a wailing tot who doesn't immediately flee is going to feel like Tippi Hedren in "The Birds."

Poke, poke, poke :D

The minions have been empowered. Pity the fools! :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I LOVE this. It's authoritative and nearly impossible to argue with, and gives a concrete reason (the recording) for them to leave. I agree with the poster who said that the attendees shouldn't have to deal with it. I think then you risk an "I paid to be here just like you, and babies are allowed, so we're not leaving," response. That doesn't help anyone. And I think the above statement is all the speaker should have to say. After that, someone with perceived authority should be able to solve the problem quickly and easily.

"The pans are atheists. When I'm there, I can keep them quiet, but I can't be sure they'll listen to you."

or

"The pans should be fine, but the tools are definitely polytheistic. They worship whetstone, soap and water. I'm forever having to shush them."

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

"No, I'm sorry. I could not possibly lend my dissection tools to a group of people who are clearly so unintelligent that they can't manage to fathom the immense rudeness of the request under the circumstances that they have created. It would be unconscienable. It takes care, precision, and logical thinking to dissect properly. I'm afraid some of you may be seriously injured!"

Now, I'm not very proud of that. Really, I'm not. In my own defense, my children were sick with bronchitis and I was coming down with it. I doubt that I was thinking properly. I'd already made clear, in a gentle, p.c., Christian way, how I felt about their judgmental statements. I do believe in the Golden Rule. So, this was definitely not a moment to be proud of for sure.

So, in case anyone ever wonders, Ole Faithy here, she can get a little riled from time to time!

Faith

Faith, I think that was a beautiful response. You go!!!

I may need a board buddy tonight to tell me when to go to bed. I've had a double dose of Nyquil, another kind of antihistimine, some locally made cough drops a dear friend gave me and only now disclosed that they are brandy based, and a large hot toddy for my throat. So, my brain censor is currently not working to full capacity, because after the atheist dissection pans comment (WHICH I LOVED BY THE WAY), my mind thought this:

"All unattended, noisy children, will be eaten!" I pictured a couple of bouncers in buzzard gear singing, "food glorious food" softly to themselves. :biggrinjester:

Me thinks this slightly harsh and though hilarious to those of us that are over medicated, might not be so amusing to the event coordinators!

Faith

I will also be in Greenville, and would be happy to use my Montessori Assistant Teacher shoulder-tappin' skills to help quell the room. ;) PM me with a specific talk that you'd like me to attend.

Really, it's nuts for the convention organizer not to have a room hostess. Unpleasantness with babies or coughing or crosstalk sharply decreases the quality of the experience for everybody else involved.

Now that the Over-mind has alerted the Hive that she is not at all amused by crying babies I have to think any parent of a wailing tot who doesn't immediately flee is going to feel like Tippi Hedren in "The Birds."

Bill

Love this!

I have six children and I'm another mother who skitters out at the first peep. I get very annoyed when other moms do not. I don't understand the attitude of entitlement. We once attended a church where TWO elderly couples with hearing issues asked a couple to PLEASE remove their noisy baby during the service because they could NOT hear, despite wearing hearing aids and sitting on the SECOND ROW. The couple refused and voiced offense to anyone and everyone who would listen. Very selfish.

I'm sorry Susan. I think you have been given great suggestions. I agree with directing moms with babies and toddlers to the back. The only other thing I could add is maybe hanging a sign on the front of your podium that says:

"A friendly reminder that this workshop is being recorded. Please be courteous to me and to those listening, be they physically present or not. If your child makes ANY noise...happy, sad, or otherwise...PLEASE QUIETLY TAKE THEM OUT."

I like the idea of offering people a comp copy of the seminar if they have to leave. Maybe PHP could have a stash of them at their booth. If the bouncer, I mean the room hostess had to ask someone to leave, they could give them a voucher to take to the booth to get a copy of the workshop. (Assuming that you have recordings of the seminars that you are giving at the upcoming conferences.)

I would be concerned that parents with crying babies would wait until they're bounced so they'd get the voucher for a free recording.

Faith

:grouphug:

I wouldn't give people who are asking to leave a free anything.

HOWEVER, I would appreciate. Free audio of the seminar be made available. Maybe then people with a fussy LO, won't feel like they have to try to tough it out in order to hear the talk?

I guess that might reduce attendance, but it wouldn't for me. If I could attend, I would bc I tend to prefer in presence just as much as I appreciate a book in hand over ebooks.

But if I don't think my LO will be good, I'd not attend. It would be nice to a still get to hear it tho.;)

I have a profound dislike of all cry rooms. It's as tho people think it is a noise okay room and they usually make zero effort to be quiet or behaved. I figure if it is that way at mass in cry rooms, I can't imagine how it is at a conference cry room. I would step out to the hall way for a few and if it became apparent LO wasn't going to settle, I'd leave rather than pace the hallway for an hour or sit in a loud cry room.

Okay, this sounds dorky, but I'd do a "green flag, yellow flag, red flag" system and explain ahead of time that so-and-so here is going to monitor the noise level, and while you're thrilled to have everyone here, if the noise of small children becomes so great that it is causing problems with the taping and the ability of others to listen, so-and-so will change the flags. Red flag means--if my kids making noise, please excuse yourself!

:001_smile:

My two's worst noises were the start of a newborn "eeeh..." before it was muffled by a boob. And then, at worst, it was embarrassingly enthusiastic sounds of appreciation. I have excused myself for that!!!!!!! (Not at a HSing convention.)

:lol:

Why can't the quality control volunteer have vouchers with them for an audio copy, but not advertise or broadcast their existence? And ask the moms who are asked to leave to not broadcast that they've received a copy.

And if your quality control person is someone you know and trust, you can give them the authority to distribute vouchers at their discretion. Polite people who leave get a voucher. Twits don't.

Just a thought from a mom of a 3yo who wouldn't DARE bring her to a workshop!

Wow - 5 pages of responses - if you get this far - I was going to suggest that wehen you make the announcement at the beginning asking for crying babies to be taken out you could also add that you will stop speaking and wait a few minutes to allow them to leave so that the cries don't distort the recording of the session. I also like the idea of getting them the recording.

Just to clarify, I always ask, very clearly, at the beginning of the talk, for parents to take babies out if they start crying because they distract ME. This apparently isn't working.

Really like some of these suggestions. Keep them coming...

SWB

Susan,

Some people arrive late. They are missing the opening statement of course.

I remember your Memphis Saturday morning talk at 8:30, lots of late folks (me too by 3 minutes) because the parking entrance was chaos too. One line was open and it was long long long at 8:00.

For those arriving late, is it convenient to have the "no cell phones, crying babies to the hallway" kind of message, flash on the screen when needed, or to be on your power point presentation on some random slides?

along with a nice reminder that CD's are available in the lobby?

When Brennan Dean sends out the email evaluations, I'll be one to put something about a nursing/crying baby room. Maybe he needs to hear it from featured speakers and from just attendees as well.

by the way, Thank you for coming to Memphis. It was great to have this kind of convention in the Mid South region instead of just the small city conventions.

Questions

1) You parents who come without babies: what do you wish would happen when a baby keeps crying? If the speaker stopped and threw them out, would your gratitude overwhelm your discomfort?

I'm in that category.

If the speaker stopped and intentionally was rude about it, I would give negative reviews to the speaker not the parent.

If the speaker was very polite with the opening reminder and perhaps did not make eye contact with anyone while saying it, it might be nice.

or if there were a sweet and polite way to say "may we help you get find where to buy the tape instead of having to miss the workshop completely?"

I know this much. When I am teaching group exercise class, I have to be nice to the ladies who keep talking their heads off and throwing off the music and counts. Especially those entering for the next class.

I had to deal with a rude heckler in one of my classes once. Honey over vinegar

and a sign to point to that says what to do. I can't be the bad guy on stage.

2) You parents WITH babies: how would you hope that this would be handled, if you were the owner of the noisy infant?, and

if that applied to me (I never did that! especially with autism kid)...

In a way that didn't turn me off from using your products.

quietly, with a lot of tack, gentleness and love.

Question 3 doesn't apply to me.

and thank you again for coming to Memphis.

-crystal

Originally Posted by FaithManor

How about, "I'm sorry, but we need them for yoga that day." ;)

How about, "I'm sorry, but we need them for yoga that day." ;)

Oh my word, That's just PRICELESS and tickled my medication addled head. Shhhhh, I feel asleep in the chair because sick dh has sprawled out on the bed with the puppy in such a way that makes it impossible for me to join them. This was the first thread I clicked on when I came to!!!!

Snicker, snicker, snicker

Faith

Empathize: "I know how hard it is when you have an infant....

Ally yourself: "I love babies and I respect attachment parenting..."

BUT

Make it about you: "I get distracted and lose my place" And others: and some older women often lose their ability to tune out noises

So: Define what noisy is. Some moms discount happy but loud noises, but they, too, are distracting.

Can you give a signal? "Once I"m talking, if I catch your eye, it means I am starting to have trouble keeping my place and it would be helpful if you could take your child out then until she is quiet again. "

I've been both places. I just didn't take my babies anywhere where people would not be okay with them. Once I hit perimenopause, I totally lost the ability to tune noise to the background, so any noise is incredibly distracting to me.

And "Room Hostess" sounds so much nicer than "bouncer" (which, admittedly, is the word that popped into my head first! :leaving:).

My two's worst noises were the start of a newborn "eeeh..." before it was muffled by a boob. And then, at worst, it was embarrassingly enthusiastic sounds of appreciation. I have excused myself for that!!!!!!! (Not at a HSing convention.)

:lol:

This made me laugh out loud!!!

When Brennan Dean sends out the email evaluations, I'll be one to put something about a nursing/crying baby room. Maybe he needs to hear it from featured speakers and from just attendees as well.

There is a nursing moms room (room 209) at the Cincinnati convention, but I presume it's just a room where moms can go to nurse away from the general convention public. Not a room where sound or video is piped in from any particular session.

I have not been to a convention yet (this summer might be the first!--definitely the vendor hall at least :lol:) so I don't know if this is actually possible. I'll throw it out there anyway. At church they broadcast the meeting into the cry room, either through speakers from the main room or just with a baby monitor by the speaker and the other end set up in the other room. That way the parent isn't missing out. i don't know if that would work in this situation but I like the idea.

"All unattended, noisy children, will be eaten!" I pictured a couple of bouncers in buzzard gear singing, "food glorious food" softly to themselves. :biggrinjester: Faith

I have seen many an office with signs that say, "Noisy, unattended children will be given a free kitten and a venti frap" or some variation thereof.

I kind of like the flag idea mentioned above but don't think you would need three different colors. If you mentioned in the beginning that you've had problems with the noise level of children and that when it starts getting too loud you will raise a small flag. It might help some of the parents to stay more aware of all the noises not just the cries. You could have a sign posted as well for those who come in late.

I kind of like the flag idea mentioned above but don't think you would need three different colors. If you mentioned in the beginning that you've had problems with the noise level of children and that when it starts getting too loud you will raise a small flag. It might help some of the parents to stay more aware of all the noises not just the cries. You could have a sign posted as well for those who come in late.

Ok, I am not meaning to be snarky to you or the poster that came up with the flag/sign idea but...........REALLY? How in the world is the speaker supposed to be speaking, coming across articulate and smart ;) and then also juggle grabbing a flag and waving it?

What is wrong with people that they can't just be responsible for themselves?? :001_huh: This is obviously just a frustrated question. :tongue_smilie:

Ok, I am not meaning to be snarky to you or the poster that came up with the flag/sign idea but...........REALLY? How in the world is the speaker supposed to be speaking, coming across articulate and smart ;) and then also juggle grabbing a flag and waving it?

What is wrong with people that they can't just be responsible for themselves?? :001_huh: This is obviously just a frustrated question. :tongue_smilie:

It's just an opinion and I was thinking of a rather small flag. She said she had a skeleton crew so no one was able to walk the floor and she doesn't like to have to stop mid-sentence. I was trying to think of a way she could possibly get their attention herself. I don't know why people can't just take responsibility either but evidently they can't.

In response to your first question:

I would be very grateful to have a distracting child removed from the room. If a judicious statement from the podium is the only way to accomplish peace, so be it. As an audience member, I look to you, the speaker, to authoritatively lead the session - both in content and tone.

I won't hate on you or think you are a big, old meanie for asking someone to leave, and I will defend you to anyone who does.

Also planning to be in Greenville and glad to be of assistance.

Bill

Isn't that the truth! Killer wasp hive attack!

Maybe the board needs a new level: killer wasp minion... They would need to agree to wear something scary to the conventions, though. Maybe leather jackets and boots?