Menu

Babies at conventions? Help!!!

It would really stink if hs conventions had to go back to being child-free just because some folks are clueless.

Exactly.

I went to state conventions for years before the Midwest came along. Moms with nursing babies were welcome, but they always took them out when they made noise. Maybe this is just part of that general, "people aren't as mindful of others as they used to be" thing. It's a shame there isn't a way to only invite children of conscientious parents. :D Then I could look at things in the vendor hall wtihout having to climb over anyone's unattended children, too. :glare:

SWB, I think you can safely blame it on the recording. Ask everyone up front to turn off their cell phones and remove children making any noise, because it will interfere with the recording quality. I'm always a fan of stopping the talk and staring at anyone who doesn't obey until they are humiliated into submission, but that's just me. :D

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try reserving the back two or three rows for mom and baby. I would ask on or two of my crew, if available to direct mom/baby groups to these rows. I would also remind folks to turn off cell phones and pagers. I would make it a point to ask that noisy (not just crying) children/babies be removed at first peep so you can deliver the best talk possible, and I would ask folks with a baby to make sure they are in the reserved sections in the back.

When I had babies I always sat in the back and ducked out at first peep. I figured that people weren't there to hear my baby cackle, babble, coo, or cry! But that is just me. :glare:

Isn't that the truth! Killer wasp hive attack!

Maybe the board needs a new level: killer wasp minion... They would need to agree to wear something scary to the conventions, though. Maybe leather jackets and boots?

Can you imagine some poor crunchy unschooling attachment-parent with baby-in-sling who just wanders into a lecture curiously to see what this whole "classical education" thing is all about? :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Can you imagine some poor crunchy unschooling attachment-parent with baby-in-sling who just wanders into a lecture curiously to see what this whole "classical education" thing is all about? :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I used to be one of those. :tongue_smilie: Well, I still use a sling and lean AP, but I swapped unschooling for classical education a few years ago. :)

Maybe the board needs a new level: killer wasp minion... They would need to agree to wear something scary to the conventions, though. Maybe leather jackets and boots?

SWB, I might be able to help out at a couple of your sessions. I don't have anything scary to wear, though. :001_smile:

Bill

Well, if they can't take the heat of the hive, better to run now.

What about people with headdresses like the sphinx carrying those large Egyptian peacock fans? They could whack people on the head who refused to leave.

Then Susan could add that part to the warning at the beginning.

"Lovely audience, your quiet babies are welcome here, but should they begin to make noise, I urge you to leave. Otherwise, my killer wasp/sphinx hive minion/bouncers will come and swat you with their peacock fans until you take the kid out. Enjoy the lecture!!"

I'm mixing my ancient history with Puritanism, but that is ok.

So I have three questions.

1) You parents who come without babies: what do you wish would happen when a baby keeps crying? If the speaker stopped and threw them out, would your gratitude overwhelm your discomfort?

SWB

I find crying/noisy babies to be extremely distracting. I agree that it seems to be a problem that is getting worse. I agree with the others about making the announcement at the beginning. If there is someone who doesn't seem to think that applies to her, I think stating that you are going to pause for a minute so that the parent with the crying/noisy baby can exit and you can find your place again would be entirely appropriate. When you have a volunteer to act as bouncer, you might announce that at the beginning, too.

To the pre-workshop announcement you could add a statement like:

"Because this presentation is being recorded, a quality control volunteer is present in the room (point her out, have her wave). If, during the presentation, she taps you on the shoulder, it means your disruptive child is affecting the recording process. If your shoulder is tapped, you are expected to leave the room quietly and not return until your child is quietly settled."

Perhaps that would let them know you mean business, your bouncer is acting with your authority, and make the event less disruptive over all.

I like this suggestion a lot.

"Lovely audience, your quiet babies are welcome here, but should they begin to make noise, I urge you to leave. Otherwise, my killer wasp/sphinx hive minion/bouncers will come and swat you with their peacock fans until you take the kid out. Enjoy the lecture!!"

:lol::lol:

What if you just add at the beginning that because you find it distracting, you WILL stop the lecture and ask them to leave if it becomes too distracting. You've warned them. If they are too stupid to follow directions, then that is their problem. Call them out without pity.

I've been in a workshop where you asked someone to leave. I was grateful.

3) Would anyone who's attending Cincy like to volunteer to be a room-sitter and tap parents with noisy babies on the shoulder and ask them to leave? We come to these things with a skeleton crew, so I don't have anyone to do this--but I could probably get you a vendor badge.

SWB

Not for Cinci, but I am planning to attend NorthEast/Philadelphia. I'd be delighted to help you out on this. I owe you this much!

1)I appreciate it when procedures are in place to remove noisemakers. My gratitude certainly overcomes the awkwardness of the situation. I attended a session where a speaker stopped and threw a very noisy baby and her mother out. I have also attended sessions where a speaker directs a bouncer to remove a noisemaker. My favorite conferences are where the bouncer quietly handles the situation himself. In comparing the various experiences, the speaker who stopped and handled the situation herself dealt much more gracefully with the noisemaker than the speakers who've directed a bouncer to remove someone. She simply stopped and said, "I'm so sorry. I'm having problems concentrating. I hope that you'll be able to purchase the audio so that you don't miss the rest of this lecture."

A bouncer sounds ideal, but in the event you must interrupt, I really like the phrasing above. It's to the point, but gracious.

ETA: And, yes, do include in your opening comments a reminder that, "Noises of any kind, even happy ones, are highly distracting." That seems to be a point of confusion.

Edited by Chaqar

Well, if they can't take the heat of the hive, better to run now.

What about people with headdresses like the sphinx carrying those large Egyptian peacock fans? They could whack people on the head who refused to leave.

I'm mixing my ancient history with Puritanism, but that is ok.

The only thing missing is a big scary looking dude dressed all in black and carrying a harpoon ;) :D

Bill

There have been lots of great ideas already. Some kind of room monitor seems like the best plan.

I agree with others who have mentioned that happy, talking babies are as disruptive as crying babies, at least to other audience members. I also think moms of happily cooing babies might not realize how loud those sounds are. (even if they are sweet :001_smile:)

Or a TRIDENT! THAT would be awesome! The guy with the harpoon/trident should not wear a shirt and preferably be bearded and wearing a seashell necklace.

I wonder if at Sci-fi conventions they dress the bouncers as stormtroopers. They should, if they don't.

What should the women wear? I'd go as the Borg Queen, if I had the figure for it.

Silence your child, or she will be assimilated into the Hive!

But do your babies cry? :tongue_smilie:

And/or can you run fast?

Bill

No, never! I swear! It's that baby over there! He is crying because he is gasp in a stroller and double gasp formula fed! :svengo: (With the attention thus diverted, I would sprint out of the room.) :)

I'm probably stepping on some toes here, but I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that babies not be present at all.

Our statewide homeschool convention has a few areas (including the used curriculum room) where kids under the age of 16 are not allowed. To me, it makes sense. Parents are so preoccupied with looking for curriculum that it's easy to let their kids run wild. Of course not every homeschooled kid does that, but it's just so much easier to have one rule for everybody.

Personally, though I took my kids *almost* everywhere when they were babies, the thought of bringing them into a hall where someone is speaking would stress me out so much that I wouldn't be able to concentrate. I'd just buy the CDs online until my kids were old enough to stay home with a babysitter.

I haven't read all of the responses. I have a question for those attending with babies. How would you feel if the ends of rows or rows near the back were reserved for those w/ babies so you could quietly take your leave if the baby was crying? I've never been to a convention so I don't know how long the rows are but I know how badly I feel when I have to leave early from a talk and step over everyone's legs while carrying a fussy baby. I always sit on the end for this reason and at the back just in case.

SWB - I'll be at your talk in PA. I would be quite upset if after traveling all that way just to hear YOU speak, that it was interrupted by a crying baby. I have missed many a talk b/c I didn't have child care but didn't want to interrupt others by having a baby....even one who is just happily spouting gibberish. It's still distracting.

I would think a sign on the door, a quick announcement that this seminar will be taped and could you please remove any fussy/VOCAL babies. If you have no one to be room hostess for you, I'll volunteer at the PA convention. Just give a nod and I can tap the parent on the shoulder and ask them quietly to leave.

But I would think if you paused, and said very gently, "I can pause now if you would like to take the baby out of the room." If it were me and my baby, I'd be happy for that break in order to get up and leave quickly.

:lurk5:Dominatrix Queen Bees. There's a movie idea.

I wonder if at Sci-fi conventions they dress the bouncers as stormtroopers. They should, if they don't.

Hmm no.. Because people like me enjoy dressing up as stormtroopers, and we're not bouncers.

On the other hand, Lucasfilm did ask us (the 501st) for security at Starwars Celebration. That was fun! I was walking up and down the aisles checking for people doing illegal recordings of the presentations, be it audio or video. But for that job, you had to be an officer, and not a stormtrooper. Trust me, you don't see a thing from inside a trooper helmet! Does not make for a good bouncer.

I've seen you use slides at some of your talks. Could you make a "please remove your noisy child" slide? Maybe you could have it queued up and then just flip the switch as needed. Have you revisited the subject of room hostesses with the organizer recently? Sometimes people don't realize that certain roles are important until they have been through a few events.

Susan, if you will just invest in five or six of these headdresses and the costume for Bill (seen below) I think the minions will manage to intimidate anyone into leaving.

For Bill or any other homeschool dad available...

:

I'm thinking Heather is having quite a good time planning the take down.

I have an old Cheech and Chong skit running around my brain, "Children! Children! Children! SHUT UP!!! Thank you." :001_smile:

Unfortunately, I think many parents are not aware that their child is distracting others because they are distracted by their child or they are simply used to the noise and don't really realized that it is distracting to others. At least I would like to hope so.

Maybe you could put a sign on the door or at check in asking that parents with children please sit in an aisle seat or at the back of the room so that they can make a quick exit should their child begin to make any noise.

Then a verbal reminder of the above followed by the a statement that should a child become distracting, you will pause for a moment to allow parent and child to exit the room. A moment of silence should allow a person to realize that their child is the only one making any noise.

I have seen this method work in public venues before. Once I was in a movie theater on a military base where it was custom to play the National Anthem before the beginning of each movie. Attendees were supposed to stand quietly with hat removed and hand on heart. At this particular movie someone was making noise during the National Anthem so the projectionist simply stopped the music until it was quiet again. He had to do this three times but by then all noise had stopped without any one person being singled out and embarrased.

A speaker should never have to verbally address a distraction so if all of these fail then yes, you may have to resort to a room monitor. In court rooms that allow children, if the child makes noise for more than a few seconds a LEP will signal the parents to come towards him and then direct them out of the room. For the most part this is very unobtrusive and shouldn't be embarrasing to the person so directed so maybe you just want to skip right to this.

As a audiance member yes, I would want someone in authority to handle it and I will give another movie example as to why. I was once personally threatened with physical violence in a movie theater when I politely asked someone to please be a littler quieter because I could not hear over them. :001_huh: If my hubby hadn't had the good sense to remove me from the theater there would have been a brawl. Given the population here, I could see that as a real possibility. ;)

1) You parents who come without babies: what do you wish would happen when a baby keeps crying? If the speaker stopped and threw them out, would your gratitude overwhelm your discomfort?

I think you should just say up front that babies and toddlers aren't allowed because they have proven too disruptive in the past, but exceptions can be made only for silent, sleeping babies who are allowed to sit with their mothers in the backrow.

If you don't have that option due to the conference rules, then I would very much appreciate the speaker stopping the discussion to throw out the rude parent(s). I don't think it's a conservative or liberal issue. I was an AP, baby-wearing mama and I was still grown up enough to realize that my child bonding time shouldn't infringe on the rights of others. Regarding signs, specially worded reminders, hiring a bouncer and giving out CDs, it seems like a bunch of silliness and personally, I would not appreciate the rudeness being rewarded with perks that I as a quiet, well-mannered attendee did not receive.

As a note of caution, I would be careful with the bouncers because I also have been wrongly pegged as the person with the disruptive child when it was someone 2 rows ahead of me.... maybe the speaker is the only one actually facing the audience and able to accurately discern who the troublemaker is.

My gratitude would DEFINITELY outweigh my discomfort! I would notify people at the start, maybe with a reminder of turning off cell phones and any audible electronics ((kids' toys, hint hint)). Signs might help as well.

2) You parents WITH babies: how would you hope that this would be handled, if you were the owner of the noisy infant?, and

I am no longer the owner of a noisy infant, but I used to be. I went very few "quiet" places with babies, and left ASAP if they cried. I always hoped that the speaker/whatever would give me enough time to exit gracefully before glaring, and they pretty much always did.

3) Would anyone who's attending Cincy like to volunteer to be a room-sitter and tap parents with noisy babies on the shoulder and ask them to leave? We come to these things with a skeleton crew, so I don't have anyone to do this--but I could probably get you a vendor badge.

I'm not sure I have the people skills for that, lol. But what's a vendor badge? ((haven't read replies yet, so I'll see if this is answered))

SWB

As I said in the other thread, some moms seem to have a very high tolerance for kid-noise. It's not just crying babies, either. A reminder to all parents that most noise, even soft humming, singing, and whispering (constantly) under the breath is very distracting to others would be great. My 10-yr-old is a hummer, and she gets poked a lot in quiet places :D.

It's very awkward for the speaker, I know. I think having to do it could be minimized by signs and reminders. The convention organizers should print signs to put in the rooms and at sign-in, and a notice should go on the web site and in the welcome packet.

How about, "I'm sorry, but we need them for yoga that day." ;)

:lol:

Or a TRIDENT! THAT would be awesome! The guy with the harpoon/trident should not wear a shirt and preferably be bearded and wearing a seashell necklace.

Mostly Klingons, ime. ;)

Forgive me if someone has said this, but I think you need to have your rep contact the convention people and just tell them straight the change you require. This shouldn't even be an issue. With the extreme number of people they have attending, surely they have enough padding in the budget to get some hostesses for the important talks.

And as for why it happens, could I politely suggest that in a room that large, with a mother accustomed to the noises her dc makes, she may not even realize how it is being perceived by others. I don't think a polite bit of help is unwelcome, and if they had teens for hire who could help WATCH the littles, that would be even better. They could announce teens for hire and let you pick them up at a station to haul with you for specified periods of time. The teen watches your kids in the hall while you attend the session. Or they could simply have a teen volunteer in the lecture room who would have an official badge and offer to help the overwhelmed mother, which again I think many would take.

If you haven't noticed, they have absolutely zilcho, zip, squat to help mothers with kids under 5. Hole-ing up in a nursing room doesn't exactly help you attend the convention, and the children's program won't take kids under 5, even if an older sibling accompanies who would be old enough to watch the dc. There's just no provision for them. That's why you have this pickle.

PS. I had my darling toddler with me last year, so he probably disrupted some of your sessions. I'm just saying why it happens unintentionally and what would have helped. I probably wouldn't have left him at a babysitting station, and clearly the convention doesn't intend to go there. However teen helpers, either hired or just around to save the overwhelmed in a session would have been FABULOUS.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I didn't read all of the responses, but at one breastfeeding conference I attended years ago they had a smaller separate room for moms with loud babies that had an audio-visual feed on to a big screen so the moms could still watch and listen to the lecture. That way the mom didn't miss anything but the loud baby didn't disrupt the whole thing. They announced the existence of the room right off so all the moms knew it was available.

That sounds like one of the lower circles of hell to me, but if it works . . .

My dh, in his deranged, bronchitis challenged, mind, says.....

"But, honey. You can't recommend to SWB that she give away free chocolate for women who leave with noisy children! Someone will open a booth called, "Rent a baby", so that those sans children can go to the seminar and horn in on the candy and cd's!!! You know how much you women like chocolate."

He has been shushed from the room and I told him to be very careful for the next two days because I might slip something into his tea.

I almost asked him if he'd like his own board identity, but then hastily decided that Bill, Barry, Reguheert, AND my husband, might be a lethal combination for us to handle! :D

Faith

Well see that's the problem. As much as people want to be helpful in theory, the reality is they've all spent $500+ just to get there, and they aren't there to babysit. They'll help you out the door, and you'll be out the door. If they could get some teens for hire, it would help a lot.

If you haven't noticed, they have absolutely zilcho, zip, squat to help mothers with kids under 5. Hole-ing up in a nursing room doesn't exactly help you attend the convention, and the children's program won't take kids under 5, even if an older sibling accompanies who would be old enough to watch the dc. There's just no provision for them. That's why you have this pickle.

It's too difficult to get rooms approved for babies. That's why they don't do babies. I haven't helped plan a hs conference, but I have helped plan other events with childcare. Getting rooms not designed for childcare approved for babies and toddlers is very difficult. That's why you rarely see childcare for under-fives at any kind of conference or convention. It doesn't help, I know, but I thought I'd offer an explanation.

I haven't read all of the responses. I have a question for those attending with babies. How would you feel if the ends of rows or rows near the back were reserved for those w/ babies so you could quietly take your leave if the baby was crying? I've never been to a convention so I don't know how long the rows are but I know how badly I feel when I have to leave early from a talk and step over everyone's legs while carrying a fussy baby. I always sit on the end for this reason and at the back just in case.

SWB - I'll be at your talk in PA. I would be quite upset if after traveling all that way just to hear YOU speak, that it was interrupted by a crying baby. I have missed many a talk b/c I didn't have child care but didn't want to interrupt others by having a baby....even one who is just happily spouting gibberish. It's still distracting.

I would think a sign on the door, a quick announcement that this seminar will be taped and could you please remove any fussy/VOCAL babies. If you have no one to be room hostess for you, I'll volunteer at the PA convention. Just give a nod and I can tap the parent on the shoulder and ask them quietly to leave.

But I would think if you paused, and said very gently, "I can pause now if you would like to take the baby out of the room." If it were me and my baby, I'd be happy for that break in order to get up and leave quickly.

I've had no problem at the Cincy convention being at the back or the side with my little darling (6 months, then 18 months). The small rooms are harder, but usually the back wall was the stroller brigade. For the big lectures, I didn't notice, mainly because I was off to the side, on the floor, trying to keep them quiet and out of the way. So while you could make this more formal, people are sort of already doing it already, don't you think? Guess it just seems like common sense.

Assuming you're able to find room-sitters, maybe in addition to the request to take noisy babies out of the room you could let people know that if their child is disruptive and they *don't* leave, they will be asked to leave. Just to give people a heads-up that you're serious about it! Perhaps the realization that they may be called on it would help people do the right thing.

Admittedly I haven't read through the five pages, so this may have already been suggested, and it may be too distracting to you as well. But could you have some kind of a small humorous sign that you could just quickly hold up when there's a crying baby? Then nothing would be recorded and the mother should get the message, unless if she's attending to the baby and not watching you. Hopefully someone near her would clue her in though. You could just show the sign at the beginning, when you mention cell phones and babies, so everyone knows what it means.

I like the idea of someone "patrolling" the room so you don't even have to think about it while you're talking. If you don't have someone lined up ahead of time, maybe you could ask for a volunteer at the beginning of your talk, and offer them a free DVD or CD of all your talks that day. I'll bet you'd get lots of volunteers. :)

Good suggestion!

To answer the question, as a parent who has and does make great effort to keep my infants and elementary school children to keep from disrupting public presentations, would LOVE it if you did something, anything!

A dozen years ago when we started hs-ing, it just seemed like common courtesy to remove your crying/disruptive child. It's a responsibility of parenting. As the years have gone by, I've noticed a remarkable decrease in this courtesy. It's like there's an attitude that the status of homeschooler negates common courtesy! Personally I see it as making an idol

of one's family, but that's not the question.

SWB, I understand why it's a problem to ask someone to

leave midstream. A before hand reminder would be great. And if it still happens, maybe you could just stop talking for a minute and let that crying baby be the only, obvious sound in the room? That way the parent might get a clue without your having to say something?

This is going on everywhere. Recently we were with homeschoolers attending a child-friendly matinee, a few families had babies and toddlers too young to pay attention to or be interested in an opera. I know it's tough to find occasional day care when you're in a metro area, but for heaven's sake, WALK OUT when baby gets fussy. Sit near the exit, sit toward the rear of a section if you can, so you're not walking in and out in front of people. Be realistic about the show and your children's interest.

We've also been at a theater when a man holding a wailing infant sat for minutes without moving! :blink: An usher actually had to walk down the aisle and ask the man to leave. It was shocking. This was a holiday family show, lots of people of all ages attending. There was no way anyone could hear the show. What could he have been thinking?

Suggestions to make an announcement before the lecture should help -- add in the bit about taping too. If you're a keynote or featured speaker (as opposed to a seminar or curriculum talk), I would think that someone from the event should be available to help.

But, I do think people feel much more personally entitled to do what they want without regard to others these days. They want to be there too and it's not "fair" to expect them to leave -- that kind of attitude.

Good luck. Hope something here works for the upcoming season.

It's too difficult to get rooms approved for babies. That's why they don't do babies. I haven't helped plan a hs conference, but I have helped plan other events with childcare. Getting rooms not designed for childcare approved for babies and toddlers is very difficult. That's why you rarely see childcare for under-fives at any kind of conference or convention. It doesn't help, I know, but I thought I'd offer an explanation.

That misses the point. No one pays $500 in expenses to go sit in some child care room at a convention. They go to attend. That is why mothers stay in, even when their kids are creating a disturbance. SWB wanted the other side, and I'm saying it. I have no clue if my kids were a disturbance the other years. Of course anything as cute as my ds in a Tigger suit WOULD be a disturbance, just by his very presence. But that aside, haha, I'm saying they haven't tackled the idea of making it easier for mothers to ATTEND the convention and still keep their littles (who might not want to be left and whom they might not feel comfortable leaving in some nursery with strangers). I like the teen for hire thing and would have used that. At a LLL convention I went to one year they had a supervised play room where siblings of a certain age could check in and out with their little siblings. Just takes some imagination.

Of course anything as cute as my ds in a Tigger suit WOULD be a disturbance, just by his very presence.

LOL!

The first homeschooling conference I went to, I was actually very distracted (my own fault!) by a very quiet baby at one of the talks. I went with a good friend, we both were amazed and spent most of the talk watching the baby. This little baby girl, maybe 7 or 8 or 9 months old, never made a peep and hardly moved. The first 20 or 30 minutes, she sat on mom's lap with no toys. The next 10 minutes or so, she got a small toy. The last 10 or 15 minutes, she got to play with mom's keychain. (It was quiet, they were not noisy keys.)

When I told my husband about this baby, he didn't believe me at first! Then, he said that it had to be drugs, no actual baby could be like that! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by ElizabethB