Menu

Babies at conventions? Help!!!

I must be getting cranky too because I agree. I honestly don't want to go to any kind of conference if I have to bring my kids with me. I want to learn and shop and chat with other moms. That means that one year I just was not able to go because I had a very clingy baby. Such is life. It was a bummer but I got over it and just went the following year. To me it is a "rights of the majority vs. rights of the few" issue... but hey, I didn't have kids at my wedding either. :D

I'm chiming in here not because I feel like you are addressing me but because it reminded me that I brought Nathan with me when he was 9 to SWB's convention in Williamsburg because he really wanted to meet both Jim Weiss and SWB. He got a little overwhelmed because of the whole excitement, and he drank far too much hot tea (LOL), but I knew he would be respectful through the conference. He listened to audio books on his MP3 player and read books while he was there. If John didn't have to work, he would have brought Nathan and Ben, toured Williamsburg with them, and brought Nathan by for a chance to meet them both. But, he had to work, and Nathan really didn't want to miss this opportunity.

Sure, I could have had an easier time without him and spent more time with the ladies, but this was one time I chose to give to Nathan. I agree that otherwise, when I get a chance, I love doing things without the kids. :)

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could the speakers have a big sign by their podium that they could hold up when there is a disruption like that? Perhaps it could be "explained" ahead of time, and then they could just keep talking and hold it up until the disruption left...(or their arms got too tired). I know I have a hard time focusing with a lot of noise from crying babies or toddlers, and I almost always have a little one with me -- but find a seat with an easy exit or sit on the floor in the back so I can leave if necessary. It's hard to leave if you are smack in the middle of a room with 20 people on either side of you to scoot past -- but I personally would never choose that kind of seat, even if it was the only one left -- I'd sit on the floor in the back.

THANK YOU for this post!! I was "the friend" CarrieF mentions above that DID move because the people behind us were just SO rude with keeping their noisy children in there (at Memphis convention)...

What baffles me the most is that SWB states VERY clearly at the beginning of each lecture that it distracts her and to please take them out if they cry. It's just RUDE to stay in there and do nothing! If I HAD to bring a child, I would sit in the rear at the very least.

But you forget, they didn't hear SWB's announcement about noise because their kids were busy being noisy. :lol:

But you forget, they didn't hear SWB's announcement about noise because their kids were busy being noisy. :lol:

Or they were late. ;) I understand running late issues with traffic etc, but the conventions I've seen promptness is an issue as well. But we weren't discussing that here. ;)

Edited by elegantlion

I agree with those who have equated hs conferences to what the corporate world would label Professional Development.

And after sitting through a scout Court of Honor last night that was seriously affected by an obnoxious 4yo whose mother would not remove him from the room (and this not the first COH to be affected by this kid), I was seriously wishing for a bouncer. :glare:

ps I've had four 4yos myself. I know typical 4yo behavior. This kid IS obnoxious and while his mom appeared slightly embarrassed, she did not remove herself from the room or at least retire to the rear of it. Very disrespctful to the young men who planned the program, as well as to the district representatives who were there to present Woodbadge to one of our leaders. Okay, off rant...

Forgive me, b/c I haven't read every post, I've only skimmed the thread, but I am just slightly baffled that this is even having to be addressed! I'm not trying to be naive, but I never cease to be amazed that people don't think that their children's noise bothers others. This drives me crazy in a restaurant, at church, etc., not just at a convention. I mean...where did general politeness go? I wouldn't sit and chat with a friend in a lecture, why is the noise of a baby considered less distracting? We had a friend who asked us when our oldest was about 18 mos. if we were more tolerant of noisy children now that we'd had a baby and dh and I looked at each other and said, "No. We're less tolerant!" Because now we know you can take a child somewhere and not allow them to disturb the people around you. Does it mean that sometimes you, yourself, may have to miss out on something? Yes! I may not get to sit and enjoy the entire, meal, sermon, lecture. That is part of having a small child. Just like I don't get to meet friends to exercise, go to lunch, etc. right now b/c I homeschool and have many children. Is it sometimes aggravating to me and do I often feel sorry for myself and wish that I could? Oh yes! But it is a season and I will not allow my children to become someone else's distraction. They are my children and they mean that I may have to miss something. They shouldn't mean that for someone else!

I also don't think that "family-friendly" has to equal "please bring your children and allow them to make whatever noise and ruckus they'd like." I would think that saying families are welcome means, "Of course, bring your children," but that there can be an expectation of politeness and consideration for others.

Goodness, that got a little rant-ish didn't it?!! I'm sorry! If we were talking in person you'd hopefully know that I'm not trying to come across as arrogant or unkind in any way! My children act up with the best of them and many times I don't even want to be around them! I just really feel like dh and I bend over backwards to keep them from bothering other people and I would appreciate the same effort from others.

Well, if they can't take the heat of the hive, better to run now.

What about people with headdresses like the sphinx carrying those large Egyptian peacock fans? They could whack people on the head who refused to leave.

Then Susan could add that part to the warning at the beginning.

"Lovely audience, your quiet babies are welcome here, but should they begin to make noise, I urge you to leave. Otherwise, my killer wasp/sphinx hive minion/bouncers will come and swat you with their peacock fans until you take the kid out. Enjoy the lecture!!"

I'm mixing my ancient history with Puritanism, but that is ok.

This totally made me laugh! Fantastic idea, I love it!

SWB, I think you have every right to ask mamas with noisy babies to please step out.

This is a very interesting thread. I know many have suggested flags or signs for the speaker, but I have some issue with that as well.

1. the speaker is hired/invited as an authority on their subject. While obviously SWB is bold enough to speak up, many may not be. All kinds of personalities become speakers, including those who dislike confrontation.

2. If you ever given a lecture you have a thousand things going through your head at one time. Obviously with experience comes comfort. However, speakers can be just as easily distracted and lose their place. They shouldn't be in charge of crowd control.

3. I'm not sure how homeschool conventions host speakers, but the conventions we attended had one or two people assigned to shadow that speaker and serve their needs. That way they could focus on what they were there to do, speak.

Conventions should have a room hostess, someone specifically in charge of the room. That, imo, should be a given. They should also be given authority to control the crowd if necessary. Part of their job should be watching for people who walk in late, reminding them that the lecture has started and take a seat towards the back so you don't distract the others. If they have children and missed the announcement there should be a handout or told that noisy children will be asked to leave.

Or they were late. ;) I understand running late issues with traffic etc, but the conventions I've seen promptness is an issue as well. But we weren't discussing that here. ;)

I was late to her 8:30 talk because I was one of 932 people riding the Marriott elevators from the 14th floor. (Sorry about that, Susan :blushing:.)

But isn't it just a little mind-boggling that such an announcement would need to be made at all?

If a kid is being noisy, Mom (or someone!) needs to get them out of the room. I agree with HSBurrow that the leaving in and of itself is a distraction, so Mom should really be pretty sure that little one is going to sleep through the lecture, or don't go in!

There were a couple of really cute kids on the floor coloring during one of SWB's lectures Saturday. They were perfectly behaved and not a distraction at all - so I'm not against kids being there. Just kids who aren't quiet.

This is a very interesting thread. I know many have suggested flags or signs for the speaker, but I have some issue with that as well.

1. the speaker is hired/invited as an authority on their subject. While obviously SWB is bold enough to speak up, many may not be. All kinds of personalities become speakers, including those who dislike confrontation.

Yes, SWB is bold enough, but as she said in the initial post in this thread:

Occasionally I have wanted to stop, stare down at the parent, and say, "Please take that baby OUT NOW." (I think I actually did that once.) The problem is that 1) it's horribly humiliating for the parent, 2) I lose my place, and 3) it ends up on the convention tape.

After MidSouth, I've kind of had it. When a baby is crying, I CANNOT keep my own thoughts straight ...

2. If you ever given a lecture you have a thousand things going through your head at one time. Obviously with experience comes comfort. However, speakers can be just as easily distracted and lose their place. They shouldn't be in charge of crowd control.

:iagree:

Conventions should have a room hostess, someone specifically in charge of the room. That, imo, should be a given.

Our wonderful local hs convention in Modesto, where I heard SWB and Jessie Wise speak, has a LOT of hard-working, cheerful volunteers to do these sorts of jobs ... and it runs like clockwork.

A number of posters have suggested a sign or signal of some sort that the speaker would hold up. This doesn't solve what, to me, sounds like the main problem -- the speaker herself loses her train of thought. A "room hostess/bouncer" is needed!

~Laura

THAT is the reason for the grandparents discount/free?? I thought it was for them to be able to learn about homeschooling. :001_huh:

:lol: I thought the same until a friend of mine told me she coordinated with her parents who live out of state to come visit during the next years' conference (which you can sometimes find out the day of the current year's conference!!). It's a great option if your parents/in-laws live fairly close to you (or the conference you're attending) or if they support hsing and can plan their time off from work accordingly. I'm hoping in the future I can use my Mom as kid wrangler so Dh won't have to take days off from work every year.

After making your usual turn off phones and remove fussy babies speech, I would announce something like "I know that it's easy to become engrossed in the discussion, so I'm going to have a hand signal should the fussing go on too long. I'm going to pat my head, or tap my nose... (something along those lines) as a gentle reminder that the speech cannot continue under those circumstances."

I have not read through this thread, but I wanted to add that it might be helpful to instruct those with little ones to sit towards the aisles and/or back of the room, so that they might quickly and quietly make a discreet exit without disturbing those around them. I suppose this could be done with signs as well as a verbal reminder from the speaker before the presentation begins.

I was surprised to see adults, whom I know had been cautioned about this very thing, remain in the room with a fussy baby. I. could. not. believe. it.

In every single lecture I attended, there were numerous distractions from fussy babies and babbling toddlers. It was very distracting.

Maybe for each lecture, 2-3 people can volunteer to be shoulder-tappers. That way Susan doesn't have to stop to do it, and there are enough to get the job done. Together, if need be, or simultaneously.

Someone start a thread for signing up!

If I were going to be a speaker at a convention, I would do two things:

First, before the recording started, I would remind the attendees of the fact that the seminar was going to be recorded. I would sympathize with them, knowing that sometimes being cooped up in a room for an hour is difficult for a baby. And I would invite them to please feel free to help their baby, and those present, and those who would be paying $6.00 for the Cd, by sitting near the door/aisle so that they can get out of the room easily.

Then, if things got noisy, I wouldn't say a word, but I would smile and display a pre-made sign, or overhead projection, or Powerpoint slide that said something like, "Thank you for taking your fussy baby outside."

That way, the parent gets the message (if they're paying any attention) without sounding like a you-know-what on the recording.

• 4 weeks later...

Follow up from the Midwest convention in Cincinnati - Susan made a very polite, very clear announcement regarding babies and noise at the beginning of each session. And yet, there was still noise, and most of what I heard/observed came from children, not babies. I don't know why people thought their noisy children weren't also a disruption. And there was a particularly egregious situation, during her last session, involving a preschooler and a purple balloon. I wouldn't blame her if she never came back to Cincinnati again.

How about reminding people before you start that the speech is being taped so to please turn off cellphones and to take crying babies out. But tell them that if they have to leave because of a crying baby or child, to email Peace Hill and you will make sure they get the taped speech provided for free when it is digitized and ready to send. That way they won't be feeling like they are going to miss the speech of their lives!

:iagree: Maybe even a spot near the door where mother's of fussers can beat a hasty retreat.

Follow up from the Midwest convention in Cincinnati - Susan made a very polite, very clear announcement regarding babies and noise at the beginning of each session. And yet, there was still noise, and most of what I heard/observed came from children, not babies. I don't know why people thought their noisy children weren't also a disruption. And there was a particularly egregious situation, during her last session, involving a preschooler and a purple balloon. I wouldn't blame her if she never came back to Cincinnati again.

I missed SWB's last session (sadly), but I thought that in her other sessions the baby noise was definitely less than in other sessions.

I'm not sure if this has been said yet since the thread is so long but what about blocking some seats off for parents with babies close to the door? I remember as a mom with a baby that when they get disruptive you feel sort of torn. You don't want to disrupt by getting up and walking across the room but you also don't want the baby to be disruptive. Maybe making it really easy to walk out with a baby would help?

They really have to do something about the children issue at the conference. It gets more out of control every year.

I am so disheartened by the behavior of both adults and children this past weekend. I was trying to buy curriculum in several booths and had children push past me, climb on me, grab things from me, etc. with their parents standing right. there. :001_huh: I saw men talking on cell phones during speakers, the child with the balloon (that was insane!!,) people coming in late and shuffling down front over everyone instead of politely sitting in the back, crying babies in speakers and just outside in the hall, and I have never been anywhere in my life where that many men have stepped in front of me or let a door slam in my face. And I won't even get into the lack of etiquette with running into people with rolling carts. The ONLY thing that redeemed it was the man in the parking garage the final day who actually backed up to let me out. :001_smile:

I thought the rudest thing of all was actually the convention people making Duggar announcements during SWB's session (not to mention cutting the last teen session early for it.) But the balloon kids were awful. I do think people behaved themselves better in her sessions than in others in general, though I only saw two, so I may have missed some. The best was the Christopher Perrin talk where half the audience left ten minutes in and he started talking about it. :D

Please tell us the balloon story!

SWB had to stop halfway through her talk because a little boy was running around amongst the audience with one of those balloons that you can bounce on a rubber band (such a ridiculous thing to sell at a convention full of people, but anyway.) It didn't stop, so she had to stop again. She was so calm and firm. (I would have been much less kind.) It was finally determined that the boy's father was standing on the other end of the hall (she was in a very large room - the junior ballroom - as she drew a few hundred people to some of her talks) doing nothing at all while she asked someone to get the boy to stop. :confused: Apparently he confused a session where a college professor and author was teaching homeschooling mothers how to teach their high school students writing for a playground. :glare:

Missed this thread the first time 'round...

I thought of something I don't think I've seen mentioned. When you make the speech at the beginning, also have a sign made up that says something along the lines of "Please remove your disruptive child so I can continue my speech," and warn them that if you can't concentrate on speaking because of a disruptive child, you will stop the speech, hold up said sign and glare at them until they leave. You could always make the intro to this funny. And if they make you use the sign, if your glare alone doesn't work, I bet the rest of the attendees glaring at them will get them moving. And then you don't have anything untoward on the tape. :D

I thought the rudest thing of all was actually the convention people making Duggar announcements during SWB's session (not to mention cutting the last teen session early for it.) But the balloon kids were awful. I do think people behaved themselves better in her sessions than in others in general, though I only saw two, so I may have missed some. The best was the Christopher Perrin talk where half the audience left ten minutes in and he started talking about it. :D

:iagree: I was in both of those sessions and thought both were cringe-worthy. The little boy with the purple balloon had apparently been left alone in the conference room during SWB's last session. SWB was trying to get his parent(s) to stop him from walking around and making noise with a purple punch balloon during her talk but nobody came forward to claim him. Finally, as one woman volunteered to take him out to find his parents, the boy's brother and dad waltzed back in and took him out. The boy couldn't have been more than 4 or 5. It was unbelievable! :001_huh:

I haven't read this whole thread but what about a sign (on a stick like a mini stop sign) that you introduce at the beginning when you mention cell phones and babies. Tell everyone that when you find one of these things starting to derail your thoughts that you will hold it up as a reminder. The sign could have pictures of cell phones ringing and babies wailing with a great big "no" symbol through it. Hopefully the offending party will take the hint and get out of Dodge.

I only went to the "REAL Child" talk and it was very good. I didn't notice any child/baby noise that wasn't taken care of, but I did shoot a look to the adult ladies behind me who were chatting and laughing. [sigh]

I didn't have many of the problems Angela noticed in the vendor hall, and I'm glad, I probably wouldn't have been so kind as she ... exasperated, incredulous looks would have been hard to contain. The guy behind me in Martin Cothran's last (very excellent) talk whose somebody kept calling him was lucky he didn't get a piece of my mind (turn your stupid cell phone off!)

I am so thankful I have a good option for my children while I attend the conference. I can't imagine I would get anything out of it if they were there, and wouldn't dream of torturing them in that fashion. (Granted, the talks I'm interested in are decidedly philosophical in nature.)

SWB had to stop halfway through her talk because a little boy was running around amongst the audience with one of those balloons that you can bounce on a rubber band (such a ridiculous thing to sell at a convention full of people, but anyway.) It didn't stop, so she had to stop again. She was so calm and firm. (I would have been much less kind.) It was finally determined that the boy's father was standing on the other end of the hall (she was in a very large room - the junior ballroom - as she drew a few hundred people to some of her talks) doing nothing at all while she asked someone to get the boy to stop. Apparently he confused a session where a college professor and author was teaching homeschooling mothers how to teach their high school students writing for a playground.

I was in both of those sessions and thought both were cringe-worthy. The little boy with the purple balloon had apparently been left alone in the conference room during SWB's last session. SWB was trying to get his parent(s) to stop him from walking around and making noise with a purple punch balloon during her talk but nobody came forward to claim him. Finally, as one woman volunteered to take him out to find his parents, the boy's brother and dad waltzed back in and took him out. The boy couldn't have been more than 4 or 5. It was unbelievable!

:confused::confused::confused::confused: What on earth? My brain was mush by that point, skipped the last talk on Saturday ... but a 4 or 5 year old after 8 hours of lectures and shopping? Wow. Just. Wow. :eek::bored::ohmy::001_huh:

I can't imagine I would get anything out of it if they were there, and wouldn't dream of torturing them in that fashion. (Granted, the talks I'm interested in are decidedly philosophical in nature.)

That was the worst part; the poor sobbing children in the hallways and the tired kiddos who obviously just wanted to go home. I'm not sure who got less out of the experience: the kids who were bored or the parents who couldn't concentrate for trying to entertain them. I saw maybe two families where the kiddos sat nicely and quietly and occupied themselves with books.

Honestly, I would have been less polite except that the kiddos always seemed to be with their fathers, and I hate saying anything to dads. We did tell one little boy who was jumping up and down on the heating vents right behind our chairs to go back to his parents in the Duggar line.

I only went to the "REAL Child" talk and it was very good. I didn't notice any child/baby noise that wasn't taken care of, but I did shoot a look to the adult ladies behind me who were chatting and laughing. [sigh]

During the "Real Child" talk, a family sitting in my row had a preschool-aged daughter that talked non-stop, and a child with an electronic toy that made loud noises several times during the session. :glare:

They really have to do something about the children issue at the conference. It gets more out of control every year.

I saw men talking on cell phones during speakers, the child with the balloon (that was insane!!,) people coming in late and shuffling down front over everyone instead of politely sitting in the back, crying babies in speakers and just outside in the hall,

I thought the rudest thing of all was actually the convention people making Duggar announcements during SWB's session YES! Incredibly rude!(not to mention cutting the last teen session early for it.) But the balloon kids were awful. I do think people behaved themselves better in her sessions than in others in general, though I only saw two, so I may have missed some. The best was the Christopher Perrin talk where half the audience left ten minutes in and he started talking about it. I was in that session too! :D

And I was also annoyed at the standing-room-only sessions where adults were standing in the hall to hear, while young children, who were getting nothing out of the lecture, occupied seats. I would prefer it if those parents sat in the chairs around the edges, and had their children sit on the floor beside them, with their toys and coloring books. The chairs should be for the adults who are actually listening to the lecture.

Oh my word, the announcements during the last session were incredibly rude. I was so frustrated for Susan's sake, with all the distractions from the announcements, the balloon boy, and the ushers by the doors. I was at her other Saturday sessions, and there were no obvious issues with babies/kids. It seemed like the masses of people and preparation for the Duggar's session just completely overwhelmed anything else that was happening during the last workshop session.

I was at that Christopher Perrin talk too (but I didn't leave!). I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry. It has to be discouraging to the speaker when peopel leave like that. I'm guessing there were a lot of people who came based on the title alone and really had no idea what they were going to hear. ;)

Wow, oh wow! I've been to a lot of conferences in my life, just never a homeschool one. Maybe we should have a talk on how to treat your homeschool conference like a professional continuing education experience, not a haggard family vacation.

I would interested in attending a homeschool conference that had a professional atmosphere. If I wanted to hear tired children, see bouncy balls, and cringe in embarrassment, I'd just go to Walmart on a Saturday.

Wow, oh wow! I've been to a lot of conferences in my life, just never a homeschool one. Maybe we should have a talk on how to treat your homeschool conference like a professional continuing education experience, not a haggard family vacation.

I would interested in attending a homeschool conference that had a professional atmosphere. If I wanted to hear tired children, see bouncy balls, and cringe in embarrassment, I'd just go to Walmart on a Saturday.

I've been to homeschool conferences in three different states and not seen the disruptive behavior described here.

They were smaller than what the Deans put on though and I think perhaps with greater numbers come greater difficulties.

:lol::lol::lol:

After reading the thread, I thought I'd chime in....

I am all for people bringing their babies, when desired. I also remember desperately wanting to be in places to receive encouragement, especially when the kids were very small (I had three kids in three years). I also realize that everyone has different options for childcare, etc.

I happen to have a husband with some flexibility in his work who has always supported my need for adult space. I have never taken my kids to a homeschool convention. I also try to select the conventions I attend judiciously, making sure that I am going to hear speakers that will help and encourage me. I have gone to three or four conventions total and mine are in high school. Therefore, when I am in a conference hall, I really want to hear what the speaker is saying. Quiet children are wonderful, loud children should not be in where the speaking is happening. Period. However, I can handle the distraction of someone trying and then leaving :)

As far as people leaving part way through a speaker, I have quietly done that a time or two, mostly when I thought I was going to hear something like "Tools for Teaching Science" or something (a made up title) and I was getting "All the Reasons That Everyone Who Doesn't Homeschool is Evil". I don't feel obligated to stay when it is like that. I am not saying anything about the speaker referenced earlier in this thread--I don't know him at all. I'm sure that's not the case with him. I'm just saying that sometimes I think it is okay to quietly leave. As I get older, I have decided that I won't stay and listen to preaching that makes me angry--I'll go make this a conference that I can enjoy. I really try to choose sessions well, but if I make a mistake, I'm not going to sit and stew, either.:001_smile:

Maybe we should have a talk on how to treat your homeschool conference like a professional continuing education experience, not a haggard family vacation.

I would interested in attending a homeschool conference that had a professional atmosphere.

Amen. Although, I must say, I loved my time at Cincinnati and do every year. There were some distresses, yes, but overall I've come back exhausted, encouraged, thinking, and ready to go ... Maybe Wednesday ;)

And I was also annoyed at the standing-room-only sessions where adults were standing in the hall to hear, while young children, who were getting nothing out of the lecture, occupied seats. I would prefer it if those parents sat in the chairs around the edges, and had their children sit on the floor beside them, with their toys and coloring books. The chairs should be for the adults who are actually listening to the lecture.

Oh wow. Not cool. My kids know if we're at any type of meeting and adults don't have chairs that they need to scoot. Kids can and do easily sit on floors, laps, etc (if they stay sitting to begin with). Adults not so much. It's also a matter of respect. YMMV but that would NOT ever be my kids.

I went to SWB's high school talk at the Greenville, SC convention and there was little or no kid/baby noise. I think people took her warnings seriously. Of course the truck noise? coming into the doors? on the other side of the room were not very special...:glare:

But some of the other sessions were not as good. The Jim Wiess King Arthur talk stands out; it was full of kids and they were not, for the most part, wanting to be there. A lady came in half way through, sat next to me with her child and the MOM proceeded to read catalogs and eat crunchy snacks. I gave enough sighs and dirty looks that they left after a few minutes. Crying babies, too. Uugh.

The SAT/ACT writing prep Bravewriter session was funny because her teen daughter? totally distracted me multiple times by walking behind her mother while she was speaking. No sad babies though, that was something!

Also, I noticed that the vast majority of the people who had their kids there were couples, many with grandparents also in tow. There were some seriously MISERABLE kids at that conference. One wonders why. You guys kinda had me convinced that people bring their kids cause it's the only way Mom can go to the conference. Didn't look like it. lol

And I felt like the vendor area was just a giant playground for many of the kids. At certain times, the Miller's Pads and Papers booth was a nightmare. Teens seemed pretty out of control too.. Running, pushing, fooling around, etc. Some of the offenders were from my group/co-op, including the kid who almost skateboarded me flat... :glare:

Georgia

Yep, I witnessed some bad behavior, and I'm very sad to say that much of it was either encouraged by the parents, or it WAS the parents! I'll leave out stuff that other posters have mentioned, but a couple of incidents caught my attention.

I saw a preschool boy throwing a ball down a hallway. Just when I'm wondering where the parents are, I'm relieved to hear his dad call his name and . . . tell him to stop, you might imagine? No indeeedy. Dad told him to set the ball down and kick it. Kick it son, just as hard as you can! Dear Clueless Dad: even though this convention hallway is not as overcrowded as others, it is STILL NOT AN INDOOR PLAYGROUND. A modicum of empty space is not a signal to start practicing your soccer skills. Just because a hallway is not as jam-packed as some others, it does not mean that people are not walking through, hoping to make it to the next session unscathed. Simple rule - - balls are an outside toy, 'k?

This next one didn't affect me in any way; I just thought it was rude and a bit funny and not adding to the shiny reputation of homeschoolers. Outside food is not allowed in the convention center. This is a standard rule, plus attendees were notified and reminded of it repeatedly. Still, I'm not going to rag on someone for sneaking in a sandwich for the kids. I will, however, rag on them for for having an entire loaf of bread and the world's biggest jars of peanut butter and jelly out on the conference table, about ten feet away from a food vendor! Seriously, people-with-Costco-membership? Simple rule - - if you are going to sneak food into a conference, you must MAKE YOUR SANDWICHES AHEAD OF TIME like an normal person!

Also, I noticed that the vast majority of the people who had their kids there were couples, many with grandparents also in tow. There were some seriously MISERABLE kids at that conference. One wonders why. You guys kinda had me convinced that people bring their kids cause it's the only way Mom can go to the conference. Didn't look like it. lol

We noticed the exact same thing, and were really :confused:

Perhaps the next time this happens those that are being annoyed by the noise could stand up and go sit on the floor in the front area. :D My hearing is not what it used to be, if I can't hear well I'd be ubber annoyed.

I mean have the noisy people never been in a quiet environment? How about the movies, no one is shy about telling someone to be quiet in there. Maybe they need to do the light thing. If it's too noisy turn out all the lights in the room.

Word of the week- decorum Ă¢â‚¬â€œnoun

dignified propriety of behavior, speech, dress, etc.

the quality or state of being decorous; orderliness; regularity.

Usually, decorums. an observance or requirement of polite society.

I went to 3 of SWB's sessions, but not the last one. I didn't think there were distracting noises at the ones I went to. I didn't have trouble in the vendor hall, either.

And, though the convention as a whole was crowded, I found that people (for the most part) tried to be courteous during traffic jams. Except for the lady at the Hilton, when we were waiting for an elevator (I think some of us waited 10-15 minutes, then I carried my cart down the stairs). She was standing smack dab in the middle of the elevator lobby, with her cart/bag, talking to a friend, when a Hilton employee came through with a wheeled cart or trash can. The lady looked right at the employee and didn't budge.

My children know they will end life as they know it if I catch them sitting on a chair while an adult stands. :D I saw the same thing in one of the small room sessions.

I was at that Christopher Perrin talk too (but I didn't leave!). I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry. It has to be discouraging to the speaker when peopel leave like that. I'm guessing there were a lot of people who came based on the title alone and really had no idea what they were going to hear. ;)

We laughed with Christopher Perrin. It really is sort of a badge of honor to not be understood by many. :D

The announcements during the last session were AWFUL!

Did the feel of the whole conference seem different this year? Hubby was saying that security was much more in your face then in past years.

I think the all-that-matters-is-the-Duggars thing was new. That was the feel I got at least (and I bet SWB got the same feel. ;))

I would interested in attending a homeschool conference that had a professional atmosphere. If I wanted to hear tired children' date=' see bouncy balls, and cringe in embarrassment, I'd just go to Walmart on a Saturday.[/quote']

Honestly, I've seen more class in our local Walmart.

I've been to homeschool conferences in three different states and not seen the disruptive behavior described here.

They were smaller than what the Deans put on though and I think perhaps with greater numbers come greater difficulties.

Were children allowed or encouraged to attend? I know our other conferences were better, but it was nursing babies only, and the moms were pretty polite about it. For some reason, opening it up to children seems to change the entire atmosphere. And I say that as someone who brought my 7 yo last year, and brought my teens. My dh brought my son, and he took him to see Jim Weiss and Little Bear, and they walked around the vendor hall together, keeping our expectations age appropriate. Ds can sit and listen to the speaker and take notes, so it was fine for him.

As far as people leaving part way through a speaker, I have quietly done that a time or two, mostly when I thought I was going to hear something like "Tools for Teaching Science" or something (a made up title) and I was getting "All the Reasons That Everyone Who Doesn't Homeschool is Evil". I don't feel obligated to stay when it is like that. I am not saying anything about the speaker referenced earlier in this thread--I don't know him at all. I'm sure that's not the case with him. I'm just saying that sometimes I think it is okay to quietly leave. As I get older, I have decided that I won't stay and listen to preaching that makes me angry--I'll go make this a conference that I can enjoy. I really try to choose sessions well, but if I make a mistake, I'm not going to sit and stew, either.:001_smile:

It wasn't anything like that. He wasn't preaching anything. He was being intelligent and encouraging, and people just didn't get it. It was sad, because every single homeschool parent should have heard that talk. It was about building a love of learning and a relationship rather than trying to do 12 different subjects. It was incredible.

Simple rule - - if you are going to sneak food into a conference, you must MAKE YOUR SANDWICHES AHEAD OF TIME like an normal person!

But we're homeschoolers and we don't follow the rules. And we don't follow them right. in. your. face. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry; I know I sound awful, but it was bad. Some of those poor children....