Menu

Mortified, shocked, sad...

I found out last night that my DH has a substance abuse problem. I feel so stupid. It never occurred to me. No wonder money seemed so much tighter in the last year. I'm so hurt by this, I don't know how to sort it out within myself.

He's checking into an inpatient detoxification program today. He'll be gone for 4 days up to a few weeks, I think. I think this is going to be the most difficult thing we ever go through. My DC are with my MIL right now, so I can take him down there. They've never spent a night without their daddy... and in the last 7 years, neither have I.

I need a lot of prayers right now, for my DH, my DC... and for me. I've joked in the past that I must be Supermom... and now I feel like I will really need to be. Thanks in advance.

:grouphug: Huge hugs. i'm glad he's going to try to do something about it.

if you can find a spousal support group, that can help a lot. (alanon, narcanon both have groups for families of addicts)

you can both do this!

:grouphug:

ann

I had a friend who went through this a few years ago. Her grace toward her husband, her patience, resilience, etc--have inspired me to this day.

:grouphug: I don't know what to say, but I hope you are all well & that everything is much better very soon.

I found out last night that my DH has a substance abuse problem. I feel so stupid. It never occurred to me. No wonder money seemed so much tighter in the last year. I'm so hurt by this, I don't know how to sort it out within myself.

He's checking into an inpatient detoxification program today. He'll be gone for 4 days up to a few weeks, I think. I think this is going to be the most difficult thing we ever go through. My DC are with my MIL right now, so I can take him down there. They've never spent a night without their daddy... and in the last 7 years, neither have I.

I need a lot of prayers right now, for my DH, my DC... and for me. I've joked in the past that I must be Supermom... and now I feel like I will really need to be. Thanks in advance.

:grouphug::grouphug:Prayers for you all:grouphug::grouphug:

Kristina there are people who hide their use for years from their family. I'm so sorry you're going through this. :grouphug:

On the bright side, I'm so glad to hear that your husband is going in for treatment. He's taken the first step in putting his life back in order. It won't be easy for him, and it won't be easy for you or your children, but it's worth the work and struggle.

His treatment facility should have a family counseling department and will probably arrange for you to meet with them. Take advantage of all they have to offer for you and for the children. I'd also suggest getting involved in Al Anon, which is a 12 step program for family members. You can get a lot of support there from others who have been through this - you don't have to do it alone.

Support your husband and take good care of yourself. You will all be in my prayers. :grouphug:

Kristina there are people who hide their use for years from their family. I'm so sorry you're going through this. :grouphug:

On the bright side' date=' I'm so glad to hear that your husband is going in for treatment. He's taken the first step in putting his life back in order. It won't be easy for him, and it won't be easy for you or your children, but it's worth the work and struggle.

His treatment facility should have a family counseling department and will probably arrange for you to meet with them. Take advantage of all they have to offer for you and for the children. I'd also suggest getting involved in Al Anon, which is a 12 step program for family members. You can get a lot of support there from others who have been through this - you don't have to do it alone.

Support your husband and take good care of yourself. You will all be in my prayers. :grouphug:[/quote']

:iagree:I'm sorry sweetie! Take care of you!!!!

I found out last night that my DH has a substance abuse problem. I feel so stupid. It never occurred to me.

Don't feel that way. I was duped and I was an MD at the time. "Everyone" saw it but me. Users can be incredibly sneaky. I never saw it, or smelled it on him, and I have a very sensitive nose.

:grouphug::grouphug:

On the bright side' date=' I'm so glad to hear that your husband is going in for treatment. He's taken the first step in putting his life back in order. It won't be easy for him, and it won't be easy for you or your children, but it's worth the work and struggle.

Support your husband and take good care of yourself. You will all be in my prayers. :grouphug:[/quote']

:iagree::iagree:

Yes, avail yourself to the information, support, services and counseling the center offers. Addicts do better in healthy familes.

You might find some relief and "ok, that makes sense now" as you understand the progression of addiction and look back on your recent years.

If you have any questions about addiction (or recovery) or need info on the "how to respond" side from the family perspective, I am available and willing in PM.

{{hugs}}

PS: In case you don't know, I celebrate 20 years of clean/sober in May, have been an active Al Anon member for 15 of those years in addition to more recent education in the field.

Most men I have known find it extremely difficult to admit they need help, much less to ask for it and to actually do something about it. This is a HUGE step in the right direction. Hopefully, he understands how important this decision is in his life, as well as, your life and the lives of your children.

I pray that you will be able to be strong for him and for your children. I can't imagine the hurt and resentment you must feel. Hopefully, this will be a growing moment for both of you and for your marriage.:grouphug:

I'm so sorry! I'm sure I and many others on this board will pray for your situation. I guess one plus is that he's seeking treatment. In many cases it's YEARS before someone gets to the point where they do that, with all kinds of suffering along the way. This will be difficult, but not impossible! Your family is already on the right path.

I understand what you are going through. My DH is attending AA and Al-Anon meetings consistently for the first time in his life. Although he has been in counseling for years due to Family of Origin issues, it has taken years for him (and his counselors) to admit that he had actual substance abuse issues and was not just "blowing off steam" like a middle aged frat boy. Like yours, my DH kept it away from the family too - thankfully for the kids. Take advantage of any counseling you can get, and I agree Al Anon is excellent.

So sorry you are going through this.

:grouphug:

:grouphug: Praying for you and your family! I'm a product of a parent who was/still is a substance abuser. For the sake of you and your children, do get help for yourselves. My mother did not do this for herself or for us, and at 37 years old, I'm now in a recovery group trying to sort out my past and its effects on me over the years. If you are a Christian, try to see if local churches offer the Celebrate Recovery program. It's a faith-based 12-step program, and it has changed my life immensely. If you are not, Al-Anon would be another great choice for you and your kids.

It is wonderful news that your dh is seeking help - stepping out of denial is extremely difficult, and for him to do this is a beautiful thing!

Hang in there. We are here supporting you as well! :grouphug:

Wow. Thank you all for your prayers & support. They mean the world to me. We just got home from the treatment center. They did an intake assessment & drug testing, but had one patient who was supposed to go home today that, for whatever reason, did not. The counselor who DH spoke with told us that they will be calling him in the morning after they do discharge rounds, and they'll arrange an appointment for him to check in. After that, detox takes 3-7 days, and the medical program takes up to 10 days, after which they have a residential program if they decide he needs it at that point. The good news of the day is that our insurance is going to cover (maybe not all, but most of) the cost. Praise Jesus.

The counselor also told DH that he is sure they can help him, and that this is the kind of place he needs to be in. It is based at the best hospital in the area, and that makes me feel a little better about it. Ok. First hill=conquered. Moving on to the next challenge.

Wow. Thank you all for your prayers & support. They mean the world to me. We just got home from the treatment center. They did an intake assessment & drug testing, but had one patient who was supposed to go home today that, for whatever reason, did not. The counselor who DH spoke with told us that they will be calling him in the morning after they do discharge rounds, and they'll arrange an appointment for him to check in. After that, detox takes 3-7 days, and the medical program takes up to 10 days, after which they have a residential program if they decide he needs it at that point. The good news of the day is that our insurance is going to cover (maybe not all, but most of) the cost. Praise Jesus.

The counselor also told DH that he is sure they can help him, and that this is the kind of place he needs to be in. It is based at the best hospital in the area, and that makes me feel a little better about it. Ok. First hill=conquered. Moving on to the next challenge.

May I gently correct you?

The first hill was your DH's willingness to get help. :001_smile:

The second was your support. :)

Praying for you. My offer for prive pm support stands, anytime.