Menu

Would you let your child get a DS or a DS lite?

My almost 7 year old really wants one. Most of her friends have them, and she loves to play them when she sees one. I've never wanted to get her that sort of toy, but I guess I am reconsidering and I want some opinions. Do your kids have this sort of toy? Are you happy about it, or not?

Thanks!

We don't have them and are happy with that. My kids don't ask for them anymore. I must confess my three middle kids really annoy their friends when their friends bring the DSs out. They nag for turns. But that doesn't happen very often.

I just don't need the battle, or another issue to set limits over. There are other hills to die on, and I can't waste my time, or theirs.

Happy to not have them here. Kiddos will play games on dh's ipod touch occasionally and I can see how addicted they could get to that type of entertainment. I would rather see a book in their hands. Books work well here for keeping them entertained on car rides or waiting at doctors' offices, etc.

My 6 y/o enjoys his. He doesn't play it all that often (it sometimes goes months without being touched) but it's a nice diversion on road trips and such. FWIW, I probably wouldn't actually spend the money to buy a new one, but ours was an older hand-me-down DS.

That being said, he also has an iPod touch (once again we got an older used one, not new) and for the money I think that is a better bet. The Nintendo is pricey and the games are $20-$30 each. Games for the iPod are often free or no more than $1-3 each and the games available for it tend to be more educational, IMO. He can also use it to watch movies while traveling (either downloaded or streamed via Netflix), listen to music, record himself singing songs, and more.

Nope. I really dislike them. Last summer I had two friends and their children over (total of 6 kids ages 4- 10). My boys were so excited to have so many kids over and had all sorts of plans but the kids came over and almost IMMEDIATELY started whining that they were "bored". They had all brought their ds' so for the next 2 hours all of them just sat on the couch not interacting. That pretty much cemented my opinion and thankfully my boys can entertain themselves very well. On long car trips they read or we play road games or we listen to a book on tape.

My boys got them for their 6th birthday. They save up their dollar a week allowance and pool it together to buy games whenever they can. Ditto what others said about it being a much welcome tool on road trips. I don't think they're a necessity of life, but the kids wanted them, they enjoy them in moderation, and generally I feel like their free time is their own (within some limits) so I let them have them.

Nope. I really dislike them. Last summer I had two friends and their children over (total of 6 kids ages 4- 10). My boys were so excited to have so many kids over and had all sorts of plans but the kids came over and almost IMMEDIATELY started whining that they were "bored". They had all brought their ds' so for the next 2 hours all of them just sat on the couch not interacting. That pretty much cemented my opinion and thankfully my boys can entertain themselves very well. On long car trips they read or we play road games or we listen to a book on tape.

Doesn't make the Nintendo DS an inherently bad item, it most likely just means your guests were rude. :tongue_smilie:

I'm always a little perplexed when people say things such as, "Oh, my kids read books on road trips and we play games." That's great, but playing a video game in the car and reading aren't mutually exclusive, you know? When we take road trips that involve spending 2-4 days in the car at a time while covering a couple thousand miles my kids look at books, they draw, we listen to music, they nap, they gaze out the windows, they play with small toys, and yes- they also sometimes play games on either the DS or the iPod. It's just one more tool in the kit to keep them entertained for such a long time.

We did get the boys DSs when they each turned 7. We've now got a DS, DS Lite and 2 DSi, none of which get used very often. I'm trying to talk the boys into giving away their older units, but....

Like most things, the novelty wears off and they wind up collecting dust. The only time they get used here is when we take a road trip.

We have one DS to share as a family. It started out as mine but now the kids use it too. We have one Leapster. And all of us have our own iPhone or iPod Touch (DH and I have the phones, the kids have the touches).

The things that get the most use from the kids are their iPod Touches because they are so versatile and have so many things I can put on them. They are used nearly daily. The Leapster sat on the shelf for like a year straight but recently my 3 year old picked it up and uses it maybe once a week. The DS goes through cycles of being used. We limit screen time for any hand held devices, TV, and computer.

As long as you put a time limit on it, I think they can be good things. Especially in the car, waiting rooms, etc. DD6 even uses her Touch for her 20 minutes of downtime in the evenings before lights out. Sometimes she'll switch to books or drawing as well.

We did, and when we inflicted 6-hour train rides, and 24 hours in transit on planes, and innumerable hours in car on the kids, we thought they were worth their weight in gold! Or diamonds...

Now, they're mostly "superseded" by iPod touches in our family. I think if I were starting over today, I'd just go to the iPods as the educational/other opportunities are great. Ear training, tables prac, spelling flashcards, audio books, educational videos from iTunes etc...

Min

All three of my boys have them, even the 4 year old.

My children love video games, so there it is. It is out in the open. They also love books, conversations, blue skies, green trees, etc. Today, DS8 and DS4 played for 4 hours outside. While they do LOVE video games, they are perfectly capable of loving other things too. They are not morons with mouths agape staring at screens.

They play their DS whenever they feel like it. It might not be at all this month, or it might be every day for an hour so, next week. I don't really limit their time, because I don't have to. They usually play for a maybe an hour here or there before they are off to do something else, once or twice a week. Actually DS12 never plays with his DSi. DS4 uses that alot to record himself singing funny songs.

We do have a daily limit on computer/PS3/Wii time. That they would not regulate themselves and would play all day if allowed. They are not allowed.

I would not let them bring a DS to a play date...that was bad choice on the mom's part if you ask me, and then to let them sit there and play while ignoring the host children, an even worse choice on her part.

Ds has one. My parents wanted to get him one when he was 6, but he hadn't brought it up so we said no. He did ask for it as a 7th bday present so we let them get it. It is great for long trips and waiting rooms! Other than that it falls into the screen time category and any time he spends on it is counted toward his daily limit.

ETA: Ds is only allowed to take it on a play date if the friend has one as well and wants ds to bring it so they can play a game together. If not specifically mentioned in the planning of the play date it doesn't go.

Edited by Truscifi

Happy to not have them here. Kiddos will play games on dh's ipod touch occasionally and I can see how addicted they could get to that type of entertainment. I would rather see a book in their hands. Books work well here for keeping them entertained on car rides or waiting at doctors' offices, etc.

:iagree: We do Wii Fit for exercise and a couple of other Wii games and would also consider the XBox connect (sp?) but with very limited playtime except for exercise purposes:D

I gave my DS my DS (hehehe I really wanted to type that) for his 8th birthday. I have to seriously limit his screen time because he has a personality that is easily addicted to video games and other electronics, to the point that I have caught him up at midnight trying to play various games. So the DS lives in my room and I seriously limit the screen time, but I don't regret giving it to him. He enjoys the games and being able to chat about them with his friends. I'm not necessarily a type to keep up with the Joneses, but there's something to be said for not being left out, either. He has to buy his own games (I got him a couple to begin with), so it's teaching him about money management in an odd way. He's only ever purchased one game, used, because he can't find anything he wants badly enough to spend his hard-earned cash on it.

He'd like an iPod Touch, but I have said 'NO' to that for the foreseeable future. Besides anything else, he has relatively little impulse control, and I don't want to see what would happen if he got hold of a game that offered in-game purchases. :glare:

My 11 yo son has the DSI and we *love it*

He hasn't played many games on it yet, he spend all of his time making his own cartoon and animations on it. And they are hysterical! He made a great one with knights falling off their horses (we're in the thick of King Arthur).

All of the others have them, too, and when we go on long trips they link them all and play games together, chat, send each other messages-it's hysterical.

My dd has one and she loves it! We have strict rules about using it though. She can definitely take it on long car trips (anything over three hours) and play it at home. However, she is not allowed to take it if we are just going out (to eat, to church, playdates, co-op, running errands, etc.). One of my pet peeves is seeing kids walk around with their mom in the grocery store, out to eat with their family, or even in church with their head stuck in a video game (or texting, or playing on their phone)!:glare:

I feel that technological rudeness is becoming too common in our society, as one PP mentioned about a playdate that went wrong at her house.

I think we have had Gameboy, DS and DS Lite for about 7-8 years now.

I'm not sure from reading all the responses why people are afraid for their children to have one.

My kids have never been addicted to them. They can go for months not playing with them.

When waiting forever in doctors appointments or on long car trips they are amazing boredom busters.

I was never a fan of hand-held video games, but I did get my kids Leapsters about a year ago. They both have so much waiting around to do at each others activities that DS at least was becoming a behavior problem. They're still perfectly happy with their Leapsters, but when they outgrow them I'll probably get them each a DS or DS Lite. I just wish they had more of a selection of educational games.

My three boys all have a DSlite and actually I do too. They play it in the car, at doctor's offices, etc. I rarely allow it to be played at home. They are very useful and I love mine.

(I wouldn't recommend a DSI though it takes pictures that can be posted online, etc but that is just me.)

My four olders have them, no regrets. We do limit them and they have to ask and be given them so that I can keep track of screen time. We have a lot of electronics in this house besides laptops, most have been given to the DC as gifts or to the family (such as PS3 this last Christmas). We have Leapsters, V-Pockets, V-Readers, Tag Readers, Nintendo DS (they will not have SDi), Wii, and Playstation. We treat them as we do TV, we regulate them and monitor usage, they are the first priviledge the kids loose and are all lumped simply into screen time.

Edited by melmichigan

My kids have them...although they don't seem to have the same appeal to the oldest kids.

I think they were around 8 or so? --except for the youngest, who inherits everything younger due to birth order. Although it turns out that she is the old lady of the family...I swear not sweating over this stuff is the best way to raise a child disinterested in obsessing. lol

I've never seen it abused here, and they were a handy thing to have on our car trips especially, some of which are over 24 hours long...and I just can't play I Spy/Going on a Picnic/ License Plates that long. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by LibraryLover

Thanks for the thoughts. We do a lot of road travel, our church is 1 hour away, not to mention everywhere else. Only the grocery store is nearby for us. So I'm leaning towards getting one for the car and waiting in lines only. Not excited about seeing them play inside the house when there is so much else they can be doing.

My almost 7 year old really wants one. Most of her friends have them, and she loves to play them when she sees one. I've never wanted to get her that sort of toy, but I guess I am reconsidering and I want some opinions. Do your kids have this sort of toy? Are you happy about it, or not?

Thanks!

No.

Just keeping it in the car might be a good idea. It'll be a treat then, instead of a default activity.

OTOH, I've always played either classical music or great literature or SOTW on cd when driving. They were hostages at first, but now they chose to listen to lots of interesting things in the car or on the cd player at home.

ETA: My 8 yo and 4 yo can get a little obsessive about things. I think my 10 and 6 would be the kinds of kids who would take or leave them. They'd play with them and have fun and move on.

Edited by yellowperch

I'm always a little perplexed when people say things such as, "Oh, my kids read books on road trips and we play games." That's great, but playing a video game in the car and reading aren't mutually exclusive, you know? When we take road trips that involve spending 2-4 days in the car at a time while covering a couple thousand miles my kids look at books, they draw, we listen to music, they nap, they gaze out the windows, they play with small toys, and yes- they also sometimes play games on either the DS or the iPod. It's just one more tool in the kit to keep them entertained for such a long time.

:iagree:

Each of my kids has their own. My dd doesn't play with hers much anymore, but the boys play with them often. (Though they have time limits.)

One thing I inescapably notice, especially with boys (and men, even) is that they form friendships around their toys and activities. Is this not completely true? They relate to other boys who like to play with the things they play with or do the activities they do. Gameboy, DS, Wii, Pokemon cards - none of these things may be inherently valuable, but through these toys, my sons connect with other boys. I find nothing objectionable about boys huddled together with their other boy friends, talking about the secret code to get to the next Level. Granted, I don't want them to do only that, for five hours a day, but I don't see a problem with it as another activity to enjoy and another way to relate to other boys.

I remember when my SIL saw my son, who was 5 at the time, playing his new Gameboy and she said, "MY children will NEVER have those stupid things." (I like this SIL; this was just one of those moments.) I resisted the temptation to say, "You just wait." Now she has four boys and the two older boys RUN to my two boys when we meet, talking about what games they like for DS and Wii. The kids relate around the games. I'm fine with that. :001_smile: