Menu

Foyer or no foyer?

We have a foyer because our current house is a renovated 110 year old church. Now that I have one, I really like it. I have an area for hanging coats, putting away boots and shoes, etc. behind oak bi-fold doors, tile floor to catch the mess, a pretty area decorated for guests - guest book on podium, candleabra and flowers in the window, etc.

I don't think I could trade the area for something else. The down side is that the kids play in the back and side yard so they are always coming into the kitchen and I don't have a porch, patio, or mud room there. UGH! They track in so much it's ridiculous. So, I'm begging dh to make a little something at that back door so I can get some relief.

Faith

FWIW -

We're living in our first home with a formal foyer. We find that a foyer is nice to have. Particularly when someone drops by for a quick whatever because they don't have to come (or get to peek) into your home. That's one of my favorite things about ours. Also, ours opens into three separate spaces - the dining room, library and the stairs feed into our foyer. It's nice to be able to direct traffic rather than having it all flow into the same space.

Enjoy building your dream home!

Absolutely a foyer!

We've had two 2-story homes that, although they were both larger, opened right onto the stairs. I hated that cramped feeling of having no space at the front door.

Our smallest home opened into a short hallway. It was very nice, no one ever fell over each other coming in or out of the house. Our current home has a lovely (to me!) foyer with a large coat closet, ceiling light, perfect nook for a narrow table, and doorways to the family and living rooms. After several years of doors opening into stairs, this feels luxurious!

My dream house has two front entrance doors, between them is a room with a recessed tile floor covered in a grate (to catch water, snow and dirt) and a door to the side that leads to the coat/backpack/storage room. This keeps the cold and dirt contained outside the actual living quarters, but with enough room for 4 children to put on coats and snowboots.

I miss the foyer in the house I grew up in. It was very handy. Our house has a vestibule. Which is helpful since there is a coat closet right there but it is tiny.

My dream home has

two front entrance doors, between them is a room with a recessed tile floor covered in a grate (to catch water, snow and dirt) and a door to the side that leads to the coat/backpack/storage room. This keeps the cold and dirt contained outside the actual living quarters, but with enough room for 4 children to put on coats and snowboots.[/Quote]

It will also have a mudroom. I am constantly mopping our kitchen floor because the back door leads right into the kitchen.

My dream house would also have a rear entrance mudroom. This would also double as a pet room for the litter boxes, petfood, and dog is dirty/wet room. This would be tiled to the ceiling with a drain on the floor and a hose for washing everything down.

I have WAY too much time to think of all things I hate about this current house.

Lara

Guest momk2000
If I could have anything I wanted it would be a foyer for the front and a mudroom for the side/back/alternate entrance.

Doors straight into living spaces tend to make those living spaces extra dirty and full of the coats, bags and other junk you drag into the house each time.

:iagree: 100%

We're in the process of remodeling to include a foyer. It will be a side entrance though, just because that's where we could fit it. I say go for a front door foyer! I really dislike visitors piling into the living room and not finding space for shoes and jackets.

Foyer...and mudroom for the back entrance.

Our foyer is fabulous. It really adds to the privacy of our home as well as our ability to accommodate guests. As you walk into our home, there is a large coat closet to the right, and it can hold the coats of all of our guests (30+ coats) on hangars. There's also an umbrella stand tucked into the coat closet.

I can answer the door, and the person at the door cannot see into our living spaces. They see the stairway upstairs, the hallway into the back of the house, and the foyer. If someone enters the house, they can really only see into the living room, where we typically entertain.

For our guests entering into the house, we have a small table with a mirror hung over it so that they can see tidy their hair, etc. on windy days (and so that I can check myself before answering the door). If I have odds and ends in my hands as the doorbell rings, I can tuck those into a small drawer on the table.

I have lived in houses (like a 70s bilevel) with no foyer. It was horrible. People could instantly look in on whatever was going on and it was awkward to accommodate people.

On the other hand, my parents live in a small house with no foyer. It is very open (ie no privacy), but they have a series of pegs lining a wall and a boot tray available so that people coming and going to can take care of their things. They live in the country, though, so not a lot of drop-in visitors...

Foyer, foyer, foyer!!!

Actually, 2 of them: one by the back door/door coming in from the garage, and one at the front door. I don't like guests to be greeted by the flotsam and jetsam of shoes and backpacks and whatnot, lol. I keep shoes and keys and all that near the back door/coming in from the garage. I guess "mud room" would be what I'm thinking of.

If you don't have a foyer of some sort, where do you keep all the wet, muddy clothing that the kids bring in? Where do you put the boots, snowpants, mittens, hats, coats, etc? Where do you store the guests shoes?

We didn't have a foyer when we lived in Texas. It was weird for this northern girl.

I'd prefer a foyer, but I'd rather have a mud room.

:iagree:

We have a sort of foyer - there's a space in between the iron gate door and the proper front door - in most of these rowhouses here it's just empty space, but we lined it with hooks and leave a row of shoes there. It's nice too for deliveries. I'd rather it was bigger though - a proper foyer. But even better would be a rear mudroom, which everyone has said. We could have it too, I supposed, if we finished our tiny back porch.

You *MUST* have a foyer.

Living without a foyer for 9 years made me so appreciate and love them. And a mudroom on the back. We have both now and OMG, they are my most favorite things in my house. Function before form, really.

Kids would come in from the snow and there was no where to put wet snow clothes. No where for people to walk into and take coats off. No place for shoes.

Now I have a pantry/mudroom off a breezeway in the back and a full foyer in the front. Best. Things. Ever.

If you don't have a foyer of some sort, where do you keep all the wet, muddy clothing that the kids bring in? Where do you put the boots, snowpants, mittens, hats, coats, etc? Where do you store the guests shoes?

We didn't have a foyer when we lived in Texas. It was weird for this northern girl.

My house has some odd additions, so we have a door leading from the dining room to the backyard. Muddy kids come right into the dining room because it has ceramic tile and I can sweep/mop it.

If a guest comes to the front door with muddy/wet shoes, they just have to stand on the tiny little throw rug we have there and balance on a foot to take off the shoes. :thumbdown: The shoes just sit there in a lump by the front door. (However, I do NOT make guests take off shoes if they don't want, so usually guest shoes are kept on their feet.)

I wish I had a foyer very much. It's like others have said, your guests walk right into the livingroom and everyone is all cluttered around each other. And my dh just plops his workbag on the floor next to the door. I don't like that! I'm always moving it into a closet and he moves it back out. Sigh.

I have implemented a STRICT rule, that as soon as I walk in the door everything STOPS until we've put everything away. No bags, purses, shoes, coats, etc are allowed to be scattered all over the (tiny) living room.

I have a lot of foyer. A ton of foyer. I can't figure out what to do with my foyers. The problem is, it's at the front door and has a formal "feel" to it. I wish I could get a photo, but it wouldn't really be suitable for coat hooks and shoe racks.

What I really wish is that I had less of this front door foyer that we don't use, and more of a "back door" mud roomy type thing. We mostly come in through the garage, and we have nothing much there in terms of space. I wish I had cubbies and coat racks there. And I would gladly give up my foyer for it.

I actually have thought about hiring a decorator to consult with me on how to best utilize my space.

I like to have an entry hall of some kind. In fact we have two: an enclosed porch, then double doors into an entry hall (with stairs going up to the attic room) and doors off to sitting room, kitchen and bedroom corridor. In summer, we fold back the sitting room doors so it is open plan from the entry hall.

We keep shoes, coats, etc., by the back door, which we mostly use for entering the house. It's our 'mud room'.

Laura

I definitely want a foyer. I don't like the idea of coming directly into the living room. I want a coat closet, a bench for removing shoes, and a small table with a mirror above it.

You didn't ask, but I also want a mudroom at the back of the house, so when those wet filthy little children come in from playing in the snow, pool, and sandbox they don't track it through my house.

must be a climate thing, just about every house I can think on has the door going straight to the kitchen, no entrance way at all, through some older houses have the door opening to a central hall that goes right through the house, with all the rooms coming off it.

My house has a huge veranda, with a large section as big as a room, the front door leads straight from it to the kitchen. people can leave their shoes, coats etc on the veranda (covered).

must be a climate thing, just about every house I can think on has the door going straight to the kitchen, no entrance way at all, through some older houses have the door opening to a central hall that goes right through the house, with all the rooms coming off it.

My house has a huge veranda, with a large section as big as a room, the front door leads straight from it to the kitchen. people can leave their shoes, coats etc on the veranda (covered).

Many (most?) houses in America have a front door next to the living room or into a hallway just off the living room. If they have a back door, that's the one that opens into/near the kitchen. Do you have a second door to your house, Melissa? If so, what room does it enter into?

FWIW, I vote foyer with closet. Our foyer is small -- 4'x4', but it has a large closet at one end that is as large as the foyer. It's so wonderful to have a space to put all the shoes, jackets and book bags out of sight. :)